Club Teams And Multisport Athletes
#310218 09/21/20 10:21 PM
H
HP2008 Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
H
New to club lacrosse. Son typically plays PAL football from July to November. Season cancelled, decided to give club lacrosse a try. Only played PAL lacrosse outside a few different camps/clinics, but so far really likes it and is learning a lot.

Just curious how club teams go about accommodating multi sport athletes or if they even accommodate them at all. Football, wrestling, basketball - there are going to be conflicts, especially if you’re in season for those sports. Is it club by club? Or are you typically expected to be “all in”? Do clubs encourage participation in other sports?

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Club Teams And Multisport Athletes
HP2008 #310227 09/22/20 07:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clubs don't care about other sports. When you accept an invitation to the team they expect that you will be there for practice / training and tournaments. Of your son plays multiple sports your going to have conflicts. You're going to miss practices here and there. I wouldn't sweat it. If you miss a lot though and miss tournaments your son will likely get less playing time unless your kid is an absolute stud.

Like Reply Quote
HP2008 #310246 09/22/20 10:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by HP2008
New to club lacrosse. Son typically plays PAL football from July to November. Season cancelled, decided to give club lacrosse a try. Only played PAL lacrosse outside a few different camps/clinics, but so far really likes it and is learning a lot.

Just curious how club teams go about accommodating multi sport athletes or if they even accommodate them at all. Football, wrestling, basketball - there are going to be conflicts, especially if you’re in season for those sports. Is it club by club? Or are you typically expected to be “all in”? Do clubs encourage participation in other sports?

We established a hierarchy. When we made the decision on club lax and the expense, that was moved up to 1. We communicate a lot with his other coaches and they and his lax coach knows it is #1. He plays 4 other sports in addition to club lax. The other sport coaches know he will be there for every single solitary thing as long as lax is not going on. (We will literally pull up to hoops still in lax gear and he changes on the court) At this point, since we communicate his schedule well in advance, all the other coaches are accepting if he misses time. With that said, if my son misses a week of basketball practice, then only plays 8 or 9 minutes in the game that weekend, I shut my mouth and don't ever say a word about playing time since they are so accommodating. On the off chance there is another sport where he has to go, for example, his team is missing a lot of players for something and would forfeit and he has lax, since we always make that #1, his lax coach doesn't mind us missing a practice if he has something else every once in a while. But the #1 key to being able to do this is communication. Be up front before you even tryout for other sports and gauge the coaches reaction. If I told his lax coach what I told his other coaches about not always being able to show up, he would tell me to go eat a big one and see you later. You have to feel out each coach. I hope this helped

Like Reply Quote
1 member likes this: HP2008
Anonymous #310248 09/22/20 10:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Clubs don't care about other sports. When you accept an invitation to the team they expect that you will be there for practice / training and tournaments. Of your son plays multiple sports your going to have conflicts. You're going to miss practices here and there. I wouldn't sweat it. If you miss a lot though and miss tournaments your son will likely get less playing time unless your kid is an absolute stud.
Not sure I have seen the same. Fall and Winter most clubs acknowledge that kids should and do play multiple sports. They just ask for communication. When it comes to Summer the expectation is that Club Lacrosse is your primary commitment and missing practices and games for other sports and/or teams is not acceptable. In season sport should be the priority with Lacrosse being a Summer season. Playing multiple sports is proven to be best for an athletes health and development.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #310260 09/22/20 11:45 AM
H
HP2008 Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
H
Thanks for the replies/advice. It's really the fall and spring that would be an issue in a normal year. FB is a 4 day/week commitment (2 practices during week, Sat AM walkthru, Game Sunday) and Spring he likes PAL Lax/is all into repping his town. Games - we're not "entitled" in terms of playing time, or what positions we play. Seen it enough in PAL/other sports when parents flip out cause Johnny doesn't play as much Joey or doesn't get to take the F/O, play QB or Point Guard. Really more about having a roster spot, getting reps in practice, coaching, have a summer sport to play. Don't have any delusions of playing for Duke or Yale.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
HP2008 #310262 09/22/20 12:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Outside of this year with schools changing seasons, club lax is usually fine as it is mostly summer based. That being said after watching my kid play 2 club teams in different sports as well as 3 school sports one thing you have to monitor as the only person who sees it all is your kids health. I've come to realize by watching when my son looks worn out. They won't ever complain but you can sometimes see that burst of energy or speed isn't there. Not that the kid is out of shape but with schools practicing every day topped off with additional club practices it will happen. You usually need to cut out some practices/games at some point so they can recharge. That is going to have to happen on the club teams as school coaches won't let them miss time if they aren't injured. You need to find club coaches that understand that school will come first during the season and will make accommodations for that. Most kids on club teams are playing multiple sports so coaches understand. If you have a club coach that demands their club team over school then you either need to turn your kid into a 1 sport athlete or my advice is to find another club. My experience is that club coaches limit practices during other seasons but expect you to show up starting in May until club season is over.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #310280 09/22/20 02:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a parent of a Multi sport player, you are correct....watch your kids health, skip practices if you must...your child is top priority

Like Reply Quote
HP2008 #310360 09/23/20 11:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Health is paramount no doubt, burnout is real. I asked the question because we really want to avoid that sort of thing. My OP was pointing more towards withholding your kid from say a big chunk of a Club's fall activities because they are playing another sport that is "in season" and how clubs view that sort of thing.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard