BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Re: Boys 2023-10th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]It still does happen for Public School kids but there is no doubt it is a harder road. Prep kids are more prepared for college is ever aspect and the coaches know that going into it and if it came down to a public or prep kid they will take the prep kid . Go to any founders league game in May it is loaded with ever Div 1 coach you do not see that anymore with the Public schools

Prep programs are like colleges were in the 80's and early 90's. They have recruiting lists, several coaches, funds for trips, alumni outreach programs, offseason programs, gym times, on and on. Public HS who compete and thrive on national level with grassroots efforts and local community (Darien, Yorktown, Duxbury, Manhasset, GC) deserve medals.

I'm sick of lacrosse media putting public and private into the same bucket to rank and judge them.

By the way, the prep surge is a recent phenomenon. Most of the New England preps were not generating many D1 lacrosse players until surge in the 2000's. The prep league with the PG's definitely cranked up their programs-- they used tons of cash, recruited players, and turned into lax factories (Taft, Culver, Brunswick, St Sebastians, etc.) because, like D1 football and hoops, it boosts alumni giving and creates demand from rich local clients (students).

Its pathetic and backwards that lacrosse recruiting to bigtime college programs is so concentrated in such few HS and club programs. With lacrosse growing in popularity across the country, its amazing how such few programs dominate the top recruiting scene. As if the 18th kid on Taft is better than the entire state of Minnesota or Georgia. Please.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conservatively there are 5-6 potential D1 players on the 91 Warriors but they are not a typical B team. Too bad they didn’t get a chance to show it this year.

Every year 91 has the best B team and I agree every year those teams have many D1 players. However, when it comes time for recruiting those kids go to low level D2 and low level D3 schools. A couple each year will make a decent academic school. It is rare 91 B team players go D1 or go to a great school. Just look at the history. Every year the parents think their team is the exception. They find out they are wrong when it is too late. 2021 Ambush 91 is very good. Handful of commits all d2 and most schools people never heard of. 2020 and 2019 same thing. Great b teams with D1 players but 91 could not place many at a D1 or decent school. Rebels , Legacy and FLG placing many D1s for 2021. Parents have to look at the end game. Check your ego at the door, Trust me your ego will feel a lot better when you say your kid played for the Rebels or FLG but are playing D1 or at a great academic school.

Why would a college coach take a player from one of these teams (Rebels, FLG ect.) over a player that is better but is on 91 B team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conservatively there are 5-6 potential D1 players on the 91 Warriors but they are not a typical B team. Too bad they didn’t get a chance to show it this year.

Every year 91 has the best B team and I agree every year those teams have many D1 players. However, when it comes time for recruiting those kids go to low level D2 and low level D3 schools. A couple each year will make a decent academic school. It is rare 91 B team players go D1 or go to a great school. Just look at the history. Every year the parents think their team is the exception. They find out they are wrong when it is too late. 2021 Ambush 91 is very good. Handful of commits all d2 and most schools people never heard of. 2020 and 2019 same thing. Great b teams with D1 players but 91 could not place many at a D1 or decent school. Rebels , Legacy and FLG placing many D1s for 2021. Parents have to look at the end game. Check your ego at the door, Trust me your ego will feel a lot better when you say your kid played for the Rebels or FLG but are playing D1 or at a great academic school.

Why would a college coach take a player from one of these teams (Rebels, FLG ect.) over a player that is better but is on 91 B team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They would not. Ultimately it comes down to how good the player is. If they are not D1 they will not make a D1 school most of the time. BUT IF THEY ARE D1 THEY STILL MAY NOT MAKE D1. FLG and Rebels have legit D1 players for 2021. I think 91 B 2021 has a few too but 91B will almost never get a kid into D1. Those teams FLG and Rebels ( and Outlaws when the Rebels Directors were Outlaws Directors) always place D1 kids every year. 91 B and other big club B teams almost never do even though they have legit D1 players. So if a kid wants to go D1 or high level D3 he is better off going to FLG, Rebels etc. who have Directors with a history of placing kids at great schools rather that 91 B, Express B etc. who have a history of placing kids at schools people never heard of. This topic started with a 91 parent saying 2023 91B team has a bunch of D1 players. If they are smart they will go to FLG or Rebels. History is not kind to where legit D1 91 B team players go to college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello. Quick question. My son is a 2024, so please humor me. He's going to be attending Showtime next summer but I wanted to get him used to the Showcase format. Are there any showcases that would be worthwhile to send my son as a 2024. Thanks.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There probably aren't any worthwhile showcases for 2024. Most colleges aren't looking at that graduation year yet. My son went to Showtime last year ('23), and was scheduled for this year but due to COVID, he will go next summer. Great experience but college coaches are there mostly for older groups. I would recommend waiting till next year after Showtime to dabble into other showcases.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not only are the Division 1 colleges looking for top players and not players from B teams but the the majority of players taken by Division 1 are prep or Parochial school kids. Public School kids are at a big disadvantage even if on a top club. I think a 91 goalie recently made a top D1 team playing on 91 B team so It does happen but it is rare.

So many of you talk about boys who are on B teams at 13, 14 & 15 years old as if they are talentless bums. First off, do you have any idea how much politics takes place in the formation of these A teams? Every A team has at least one coach's kid who shouldn't be on the team, then there are the friends and family of the coaches and directors, or what about when there are a bunch of kids from the same town so that the 'stud' player has someone to carpool with. Are you completely unaware of the parents who slip an extra envelope to the director to get their son onto one of these 'A' teams? Oh yeah, that happens. Go through 91, Express, Igloo and S2S and there are 8-10 boys on each A team roster who barely get into games or strategically play vs lousy teams. I'm not saying there are 8-10 boys on each B team who could take their spots but there are easily 2-3 boys on these B teams who could compete at the A level if they could break through the nonsense. I've seen situations where a 'B' player is a starter on their high school team over an 'A' team player from the same club. I'd take the high school coach's evaluation over the club director's any day in that situation.

Secondly, do you realize that every kid develops at their own pace? Some are early bloomers, some are undersized throughout grade school and then spring up in 9th grade after all these teams have been selected (try breaking onto one of these clubs for the first time in high school). Even professional sports teams misevaluate players and make terrible mistakes, that's how you get busts like Sam Bowie going over MJ just to name the most famous. Bet you haven't heard that Tom Brady was a sixth rounder! Mike Piazza was taken in the last round of the MLB draft. 13 NBA teams passed on Giannis and he's about to win his 2nd consecutive MVP. What makes you think a random club lacrosse coach or director makes all the right decisions?

Finally, with two boys going through the club scene over the last 10 years, I've seen plenty of "A" players come down to fill out their club's B team for a random tournament and do absolutely nothing and I've seen "B" players step up to fill in for an injured "A" player and dominate like they should have been there the whole time. 'A' rankings and 'B' rankings are fluid terms and subject to change. Take a look at the ebb and flow of some of these top LI teams for 2023, one in particular has fallen off significantly b/c they held on too long to a core that was strong in 2016 & 2017 and haven't made the difficult decision of telling some of their 'A' players the truth.

My son used to play for Express. Two of his teammates were VERY good but could never get pulled up to the A team due to the political nonsense. They both ended up playing for other clubs. One got recruited to Maryland and the other is going to Denver.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There probably aren't any worthwhile showcases for 2024. Most colleges aren't looking at that graduation year yet. My son went to Showtime last year ('23), and was scheduled for this year but due to COVID, he will go next summer. Great experience but college coaches are there mostly for older groups. I would recommend waiting till next year after Showtime to dabble into other showcases.

Colleges aint look at anyone . Everything so F’*?k up at college level and recruiting now you will start seeing colleges get rid of the non revenue sports like lacrosse .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello. Quick question. My son is a 2024, so please humor me. He's going to be attending Showtime next summer but I wanted to get him used to the Showcase format. Are there any showcases that would be worthwhile to send my son as a 2024. Thanks.
Doing the same with my '24. Not to catch the coaches eye but to get him used to the format. Due to schedule and location we landed on Apex Fall Showcase in October.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Colleges aint look at anyone . Everything so F’*?k up at college level and recruiting now you will start seeing colleges get rid of the non revenue sports like lacrosse .

Look at NYIT! Not good!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not only are the Division 1 colleges looking for top players and not players from B teams but the the majority of players taken by Division 1 are prep or Parochial school kids. Public School kids are at a big disadvantage even if on a top club. I think a 91 goalie recently made a top D1 team playing on 91 B team so It does happen but it is rare.

So many of you talk about boys who are on B teams at 13, 14 & 15 years old as if they are talentless bums. First off, do you have any idea how much politics takes place in the formation of these A teams? Every A team has at least one coach's kid who shouldn't be on the team, then there are the friends and family of the coaches and directors, or what about when there are a bunch of kids from the same town so that the 'stud' player has someone to carpool with. Are you completely unaware of the parents who slip an extra envelope to the director to get their son onto one of these 'A' teams? Oh yeah, that happens. Go through 91, Express, Igloo and S2S and there are 8-10 boys on each A team roster who barely get into games or strategically play vs lousy teams. I'm not saying there are 8-10 boys on each B team who could take their spots but there are easily 2-3 boys on these B teams who could compete at the A level if they could break through the nonsense. I've seen situations where a 'B' player is a starter on their high school team over an 'A' team player from the same club. I'd take the high school coach's evaluation over the club director's any day in that situation.

Secondly, do you realize that every kid develops at their own pace? Some are early bloomers, some are undersized throughout grade school and then spring up in 9th grade after all these teams have been selected (try breaking onto one of these clubs for the first time in high school). Even professional sports teams misevaluate players and make terrible mistakes, that's how you get busts like Sam Bowie going over MJ just to name the most famous. Bet you haven't heard that Tom Brady was a sixth rounder! Mike Piazza was taken in the last round of the MLB draft. 13 NBA teams passed on Giannis and he's about to win his 2nd consecutive MVP. What makes you think a random club lacrosse coach or director makes all the right decisions?

Finally, with two boys going through the club scene over the last 10 years, I've seen plenty of "A" players come down to fill out their club's B team for a random tournament and do absolutely nothing and I've seen "B" players step up to fill in for an injured "A" player and dominate like they should have been there the whole time. 'A' rankings and 'B' rankings are fluid terms and subject to change. Take a look at the ebb and flow of some of these top LI teams for 2023, one in particular has fallen off significantly b/c they held on too long to a core that was strong in 2016 & 2017 and haven't made the difficult decision of telling some of their 'A' players the truth.

My son used to play for Express. Two of his teammates were VERY good but could never get pulled up to the A team due to the political nonsense. They both ended up playing for other clubs. One got recruited to Maryland and the other is going to Denver.

That is the point everyone is trying to make. Had those players stayed on Express B they would not have played D1. The B teams from Express, Igloo and 91 all have D1 players but do not get the looks by top colleges. When a call does come in for one of them the club coach directs them to a kid on the top team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Believe it some nuts parents out there . Believe it .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody attend the UA All America tryout for the LI team yesterday?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, mostly 91 and express, some igloo. Same issue every year... kids were picked before heading to Jersey.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The great political spectacular! Just look at the coaches and you’ll be able to yell who made the team regardless of tryout performance. Framingdale kids just need to run up and down for show and they’ll make it. 91 Daddy coach is going to take care of his boys, and S2s director will make sure he’s represented so they can post that on the website.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, mostly 91 and express, some igloo. Same issue every year... kids were picked before heading to Jersey.
Best players from the best teams - makes sense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The great political spectacular! Just look at the coaches and you’ll be able to yell who made the team regardless of tryout performance. Framingdale kids just need to run up and down for show and they’ll make it. 91 Daddy coach is going to take care of his boys, and S2s director will make sure he’s represented so they can post that on the website.

Igloo director asked to evaluate and No showed so as mad as I will be if our boys don’t get picked most of my anger will go to our leader Of course people will take care of their own Where was TA or coavhes well we know why one wasn’t asked because he’s embarrassing

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo director asked to evaluate and No showed so as mad as I will be if our boys don’t get picked most of my anger will go to our leader Of course people will take care of their own Where was TA or coavhes well we know why one wasn’t asked because he’s embarrassing
1. So your son plays for igloo?
2. It’s ok for evaluators to self serve?
3. Or maybe, your just a troll from another club stirringly up again.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo....They are done. TA cared about the 21s and 22s. the 2023 is decent. After that total train wreck. He just doesnt have the network to scale his business. He and Crommy should have put their names on more teams. Nobody does it as good as CoachC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best players from the best teams - makes sense.

Some of 91, igloo and express are the best. Yes without a doubt. But funny how some kids from some other Long Island clubs that are not igloo, express or 91 AA teams make Maverik showtime all star team ahead of those same 91, igloo and express kids that get picked for Nassau or Suffolk regional team and UA All American. Don’t fool yourself. Politics plays a big part in these teams selections on Long Island.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo....They are done. TA cared about the 21s and 22s. the 2023 is decent. After that total train wreck. He just doesnt have the network to scale his business. He and Crommy should have put their names on more teams. Nobody does it as good as CoachC

TA should of been there. Every club is invited to evaluate

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo definitely has been going downhill. Especially after their political games with coaching and selected players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo definitely has been going downhill. Especially after their political games with coaching and selected players.

Cronyism. Option was there to pick better players/students in the past 4-5 years for '21-'23. It would have built the reputation in a different way. Chose to stick with friends and fill pocket from those who play the political game. At least six players from each age group shouldn't be on the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cronyism. Option was there to pick better players/students in the past 4-5 years for '21-'23. It would have built the reputation in a different way. Chose to stick with friends and fill pocket from those who play the political game. At least six players from each age group shouldn't be on the team.[/quote]

I'll bet those 6 kids have super nice parents who don't spend their days on these boards.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many of the 2023 kids that made UA are 2022 holdbacks. So lame. But their parents can brag about making UA even though they needed to hold little Johnny back to do it. None of those kids would have made it if they stayed at 2022. Its not fair to the 2023 kids that didn't make it because they are playing on age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many of the 2023 kids that made UA are 2022 holdbacks. So lame. But their parents can brag about making UA even though they needed to hold little Johnny back to do it. None of those kids would have made it if they stayed at 2022. Its not fair to the 2023 kids that didn't make it because they are playing on age.

Are you really still talking about the holdback issue? The way the lax world works.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you really still talking about the holdback issue? The way the lax world works.

Holdbacks will happening more and more with big college roster sizes due to corona virus

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As "bad" as it was before its gonna be real bad now. For the record I don't think its bad and families do their own thing but I can say I have spoke to at least 1/2 a dozen to a dozen lacrosse friends who will be reclassifying their kids due to covid. About 4 just did it and they are going to schools in Conn and Mass and another 1/2 dozen are starting the application process for next year and ALL will be reclassifying. Many others will be taking PG years. Taft on their instagram page is touting 3 new boys who are PGs who have already committed going to Duke, NC and Michigan. This is the new norm and these are boys who are clearly excellent and D1. So for all those who say it ain't fair - just like face masks - its going to be the new normal. Fair or not fair it is what it is and if a boy cant hang with another boy a year or so older then they shouldn't be seeking to playing the game at a high level (UA tryouts). BTW my kid goes to public school so not held back and not TAFT and I really hope my sons team never plays TAFT!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. You have to stop complaining about the holdbacks. The boys are in high school now and they are playing against older kids. The holdback issue is valid in 3rd & 4th grade. At this point, it is just whining.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. You have to stop complaining about the holdbacks. The boys are in high school now and they are playing against older kids. The holdback issue is valid in 3rd & 4th grade. At this point, it is just whining.

I thought only the MD parents held their kids back? You FLIDs in on the act now too? Better not hear you whining on the sideline anymore - except in 3rd and 4th grade apparently.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My older son plays D1 at a top program. He’s actually young for his Grade and was a varsity high school starter As a freshman.I have to disagree with you. In high school you have a mix of mostly 17 and 16-year-olds and sometimes younger. At least there is some older kids On the high school team. When you go to Maryland and play kids that are a year older or from Canada who are sometimes two years older than your entire team it is frustrating. However it made my kid a better player and we never complained. The ones I feel bad for are the kids that would have beenBeen a division one player but the holdbacks or reclass kids took their spots.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its funny how parents are so angry at that those celebrities who paid for there kids to get into college yet this stuff goes on in youth lacrosse. Hypocrites.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My older son plays D1 at a top program. He’s actually young for his Grade and was a varsity high school starter As a freshman.I have to disagree with you. In high school you have a mix of mostly 17 and 16-year-olds and sometimes younger. At least there is some older kids On the high school team. When you go to Maryland and play kids that are a year older or from Canada who are sometimes two years older than your entire team it is frustrating. However it made my kid a better player and we never complained. The ones I feel bad for are the kids that would have beenBeen a division one player but the holdbacks or reclass kids took their spots.

I feel badly for the kids at Taft who thought they would start/play this Spring only to learn 3 D1 commits are showing up. It's the nature of boarding schools but it's still a bummer to watch the PGs play from the bench.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son reclassed this spring for non covid reasons as applications were due before any lockdowns were in place. I am not against or for reclassifying as kids do it for different reasons. My son for academic/ LD reasons others for athletic. Reality is he was shocked to find out this week there are multiple others in every grade who have reclassed and yes the Canadians are on grade but still as old or older. he is excited that there are 4 PG's on campus and 3-4 reclasses which will make the team better. he said no chance he makes varsity this season which is fine as he'll play much more on JV his freshman season. I was upset initially but he's fine with it so I have to be OK with all the reclasses. He just wants to play so who am I to judge.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son reclassed this spring for non covid reasons as applications were due before any lockdowns were in place. I am not against or for reclassifying as kids do it for different reasons. My son for academic/ LD reasons others for athletic. Reality is he was shocked to find out this week there are multiple others in every grade who have reclassed and yes the Canadians are on grade but still as old or older. he is excited that there are 4 PG's on campus and 3-4 reclasses which will make the team better. he said no chance he makes varsity this season which is fine as he'll play much more on JV his freshman season. I was upset initially but he's fine with it so I have to be OK with all the reclasses. He just wants to play so who am I to judge.

Its so great when parents say they are reclassifying for academic reasons. How about drop the lacrosse for homework or tutoring. And Canadians start kindergarten at 5 years old just like the US so if they are the same age or older as your son then they are holdbacks as well. Probably have the same academic problems. How nice of some parents to keep paying to do the same private school grades over and over because of their kids learning disabilities.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So now w Covid, kids that have repeated early on are now going to PG too. So now my son who doesn't want to PG will need to compete against kids two years his age for College spots in a few years? When does this stop? Can they repeat twice and then PG too?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Showtime is a multi-day format which is much different than the single day showcases. Single day formats do not really allow the teams to get to know one another so players are bit more selfish with the ball or stand around waiting for the ball so he can make a dodge through multiple players. If you are prepping for Showtime then consider a multi-day prospect day which is more expensive but the kids develop a rapport with one another and play much better team ball. Not to exclude defensive players but slides happen more frequently and is just an all around better experience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So now w Covid, kids that have repeated early on are now going to PG too. So now my son who doesn't want to PG will need to compete against kids two years his age for College spots in a few years? When does this stop? Can they repeat twice and then PG too?

As long as the sport openly encourages holding back players, it's going to keep surging. "Top 10" 2022 list including DOB shows everyone how rigged it all is. One kid is older than a freshman I have in college. The myth of #1 ranked player "playing up for 2 years" is burst.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mean you’re not really “playing up” 2 years if you are the same age as the kids on the team your are playing up on? Are you? Just another ego inflating thing parents tell themselves. I would expect any kid to look like a super star against kids 2 years younger than them. My senior in high school right now is a 4/04 birthday. September 02 is way old for a junior no matter how you slice it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mean you’re not really “playing up” 2 years if you are the same age as the kids on the team your are playing up on? Are you? Just another ego inflating thing parents tell themselves. I would expect any kid to look like a super star against kids 2 years younger than them. My senior in high school right now is a 4/04 birthday. September 02 is way old for a junior no matter how you slice it.

All true, but allow me to let you in on a little secret: not only do the the college coaches not care, they actually LOVE holdbacks. The #1 kid in 2021 is a massive holdback and should be in college rather than starting his junior year. And yet, per the story in IL, his phone exploded at midnight on 9/1. He will have his pick of any school in the country. The only ones who care about holdbacks are other parents....You really, really need to understand that.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard