BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So your saying that you know parents that had the foresight to keep there kids out of kindergarten for a year so they could have an advantage 5 to 10 years later, assuming the kid would be playing lax, any good at it , and totally into it ? I'm calling bull s%&t

Parents definitely do this, so it's not bull s%&t...[/quote]
Pretty funny to look back at this discussion from 2013. There were people who legitimately didn’t believe holdbacks purely for lax we’re a real thing.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your saying that you know parents that had the foresight to keep there kids out of kindergarten for a year so they could have an advantage 5 to 10 years later, assuming the kid would be playing lax, any good at it , and totally into it ? I'm calling bull s%&t

Parents definitely do this, so it's not bull s%&t...
Pretty funny to look back at this discussion from 2013. There were people who legitimately didn’t believe holdbacks purely for lax we’re a real thing.[/quote]

It is actually fun to look back at this. Holdbacks, reclass, prefirt and not starting kindergarten are at epidemic levels in lacrosse. All sports have some, but lacrosse has the largest percentage playing at a high level High School and Club top teams . Football , Hoops, Baseball have their share, but nothing like lacrosse. Pretty sad, but much of it is just many attempting to catch up to private school holdbacks.

Private schools from MD to MA have been holding back boys for years from kindergarten ( hilarious how they say that is not a holdback) to reclassing many at 8th grade who enroll for first time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The three best players in the country at 22 didn't play "on age" until this year All played up 1 or 2 years or played varsity as 8th graders school age didn't matter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That’s not even true. If I guessing correctly on the players considered the very top 2022’s and you’ve seen their birthdates, they have dates that would make them normal or old 2021’s. I’m sure some are on age for 2022, but a bunch aren’t even though they never actually repeated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lax is my favorite sport and my sons. They also play travel football and hockey (dropped soccer years ago). All the sports they play at a very high level are based on on birth year, period-with the exception of lacrosse. One of my kids is January bday and one is Dec. Advantage for one, disadvantage for the other but they still made all their respective travel A teams and compete. There is no logical argument for any kids playing YOUTH sports not to be strictly aged based. Once kids get into High school years I have no problem with rules going grade based. My Dec son had to play soccer a year up and hockey and football continually, but it is fair and creates a level playing field. I'm no snowflake. This is just simple, reasonable stuff. Lacrosse rules, or lack there of are a joke.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The three best players in the country at 22 didn't play "on age" until this year All played up 1 or 2 years or played varsity as 8th graders school age didn't matter.

Nope, The only one I do know age of ( son played with) is a 2021 heldback. Sorry, He very rarely played 2021 in youth..Try again holdback Dad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lax is my favorite sport and my sons. They also play travel football and hockey (dropped soccer years ago). All the sports they play at a very high level are based on on birth year, period-with the exception of lacrosse. One of my kids is January bday and one is Dec. Advantage for one, disadvantage for the other but they still made all their respective travel A teams and compete. There is no logical argument for any kids playing YOUTH sports not to be strictly aged based. Once kids get into High school years I have no problem with rules going grade based. My Dec son had to play soccer a year up and hockey and football continually, but it is fair and creates a level playing field. I'm no snowflake. This is just simple, reasonable stuff. Lacrosse rules, or lack there of are a joke.

Everyone knows it is the right thing to do, Unfortunately many lacrosse coaches sons in the top clubs are holdbacks and will be for years to come as many do prefirst or heldback from starting school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Everyone knows it is the right thing to do, Unfortunately many lacrosse coaches sons in the top clubs are holdbacks and will be for years to come as many do prefirst or heldback from starting school.

In Youth lax, Hold backs should compete on age like everyone else. If the graduation year grouping is due to recruiters, then keep at HS. Recruiters aren’t looking at elementary or middle school kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That totally makes sense and how it should be. However, there is no strong overseeing body and therefore works like the Wild West with club programs making the calls on how things should run. And they can’t help themselves and operate like fools. They see a kid coming into their program that looks like an impact player and know he is either too old or a grade above (but says he’ll be repeating “at some point”), but say hey he’ll make our team better this year and make our program look stronger. And then it happens again and again. And then there’s no going back as far as the clubs go. The strong clubs are self-interested mercenary programs that only care about their success (which generally means one ego maniacal nut job).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is tough I find my daughter in this predicament. October birthday so she's young for her grade. She plays up and I know that helps her but at times I've found she struggles socially as she isn't as mature as the older girls. This does at times trickle onto the field and both her and I get frustrated. I'm sure in 2 very short years she will be asked to play varsity as a seventh grader. This will be very good for her state stats if she plays varsity for 6yrs. Just I worry about her overall growth and I wouldn't want HS lax to become stale because she played varsity to long.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In Youth lax, Hold backs should compete on age like everyone else. If the graduation year grouping is due to recruiters, then keep at HS. Recruiters aren’t looking at elementary or middle school kids.
Where I live, rec lax (spring league) is age (Sep 1st cutoff) and club is obviously birth year...is that the case in other areas?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Um, if they are not really 2022’s then they cannot be called “the 3 best 2022’s”. Let’s call it like we see it- they are really 2021s.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where I live, rec lax (spring league) is age (Sep 1st cutoff) and club is obviously birth year...is that the case in other areas?

Yes. All club teams are grade based. You can see which teams have the most hold backs. If you look at the rankings of youth club teams the higher their ranking the greater number of hold backs. In other words, the number 1 ranked team has the most hold backs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes. All club teams are grade based. You can see which teams have the most hold backs. If you look at the rankings of youth club teams the higher their ranking the greater number of hold backs. In other words, the number 1 ranked team has the most hold backs.

Sad but True statement in the world of lacrosse now. Holdbacks / prefirsts rule Youth Lacrosse...so sad..

Lets not worry, USL will come out with another article on diversity or woman in lacrosse to address the issue. lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, all of this! Young kids playing sports are not focused on playing in college and most will not go on to do so. Their parents shouldn't be worried about "D1 prospects" when they are 8 or 10 or even 12. Yes, the elite players can manage playing up or being competitive against a team of "holdbacks" but for the rest it contributes to making youth sports less enjoyable and beneficial. Let them play on age based teams until high school. Transparency about ages in recruiting would also help. Remember when Under Armour Lax used to list player birth dates but then they stopped because it was getting embarrassing for certain players and regions? Why not include birth month and year with high school recruiting rankings and write ups at least during freshman and sophomore year of high school?

The school cutoff date is 9/1 in my community. Nowadays almost every boy and girl with a July or August birthday waits a year to begin Kindergarten. No one wants their kid to be at a disadvantage in any way because they are the youngest. With the boys it's very common practice with June and May birthdays and sometimes even February, March and April. I have a son who is young for his grade but was not held back. Years ago had a couple kids on his middle school club team who were almost exact same age but a grade behind in private school. Back then the club enforced age cutoffs so the hold backs had to play with the grade they should be in. Those kids committed to play D1 lax at a lower level program but then reclassed AGAIN and traded up to better D1 lax programs. My son is beginning his 3rd year of college and they are the same age but will be freshman in college this fall. Good for them I guess but I wonder how it feels knowing they had to compete against kids 2+ years younger for their achievements.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Other sports seemed to have figured out how to recruit kids while playing age-based. It's just not that hard.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by cltlax

Other sports seemed to have figured out how to recruit kids while playing age-based. It's just not that hard.

US Lacrosse has no balls or power to fix it...

Like Reply Quote
calming herbal remedies
T
Thomasgrams
Unregistered
Thomasgrams
Unregistered
T

Like Reply Quote
Re: calming herbal remedies
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rumor is they finally did.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any parent that holds their kid back to game the lacrosse world should have their child taken away from them!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any parent that holds their kid back to game the lacrosse world should have their child taken away from them!

I guess you can tell that to all the recent D1 commits to top college programs parents. It did work to their advantage. They will now be playing at some of the top schools and probably have many doors opened to them for jobs by some of the best Fortune 500 companies. So? Are they really “bad parents”? Hmmmm , maybe smart!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

US Lacrosse has advocated for and enforce age based already. That isn't the issue. Until the clubs and tournaments do so, it doesn't matter. US Club lacrosse doesn't have the power to change. The new proposal is being pushed by the bug club owners including 3step. 3step now owns M&D and Robinson Sports. Two big clubs and one of the biggest tournament directors. If 3step goes along others may have no choice.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I guess you can tell that to all the recent D1 commits to top college programs parents. It did work to their advantage. They will now be playing at some of the top schools and probably have many doors opened to them for jobs by some of the best Fortune 500 companies. So? Are they really “bad parents”? Hmmmm , maybe smart!

Here you go again .. the reality is majority of these hold backs won’t play d1 so stop with the top recruits nonsense..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love how parents say their kids have to be held back because they were born late in the year. Assuming that every other kid was born in January so their poor kid is 11 or 12 months younger. Laughable. Most kids are born in August or September so the disadvantage is imagined. Keep sports based on birthyear and aim to play up, not back.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Bearded_Kaos

Here you go again .. the reality is majority of these hold backs won’t play d1 so stop with the top recruits nonsense..

I’m talking about the ones committing now to the top D1 programs! How many are holdbacks?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can you play 8th grade varsity. Won’t that disqualify you senior year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It doesn’t really matter if they play. The ops argument is the same regardless. They will have access to top colleges and jobs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It doesn’t really matter if they play. The ops argument is the same regardless. They will have access to top colleges and jobs.

Exactly, it’s getting college doors open that would not be open otherwise! Also, some great job opportunities. Lacrosse is dead end sport other than for that purpose!

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard