Get it on Google Play
Get it on App Store
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/12/20 10:05 AM
New England Prep School Lacrosse
by Anonymous - 07/12/20 10:00 AM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 07/12/20 08:58 AM
Boys 2028 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/12/20 06:00 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums19
Topics2,040
Posts266,317
Members2,187
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 469 of 470 1 2 467 468 469 470
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #302179 05/20/20 11:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I don’t know if all the big programs will be fine. Let’s face reality. Colleges are losing millions of dollars over this crisis. Lacrosse brings absolutely no revenue to a college. Networks don’t have bidding wars to televise a lax game. Maybe 2000 people attend the actual games, some of these stadiums seat 80 to 100,000 people. Some places don’t even charge for tickets. I hope this doesn’t happen, but colleges are businesses. People who need to cut costs running a business, non revenue parts of the business are the first to go.


while I hear you re revenue, I would love to see donations broken down by sport at the school by their alumni base. I am willing to wager that by in large lax programs are heavy donors and they have 40-50 players per team. I have always said this and thought this was a good impetus to grow the sport. Unfortunately I have never seen any study.

12.6 scholarships for a team so the majority pay full (yes I know about academic scholarships and financial aid) but in general lax players pay for their way to go to college and then if they donate in a large amount its fresh money for the school.


What's occurring at this moment is the reason why there isn't any substantial force at the collegiate level to grow the sport. Big money donors will always support revenue sports, where TV, merchandise rights, etc all come into play. NBA, NFL have their eyes on Duke basketball, LSU football, can care less about lax. Give Paul Rabil a few years to age. No longer will he be able to run around in his skinny jeans, and tight tee shirts, he will be come a thing of the past very quickly. Further, Lax will never become more than what it is now, period.


This attitude is silly. I cant imagine most parents or kids and especially colleges have even a scintilla of thought that lax is LSU football or Duke basketball. However, college is just not about football and basketball. If that was the case we wouldn't have baseball, crew. cross country, fencing, golf, hockey, soccer, water polo, field hockey, gymnastics, softball, swimming, wrestling, tennis, track & field, tennis etc. Most everyone does not think lax needs to be bigger or better however why begrudge those (Paul Rabil) who try. There is a place for it just like all of these other sports. Higher learning encompasses all aspects of education and that includes theater, band, choir, AND SPORTS etc . . Getting back to the sports I just mentioned, some may make money for their schools like Penn state wrestling or Utah gymnastics but for the most part they don't. Some of them have professional status to make millions - baseball, tennis, hockey golf, soccer, etc . . and others are just olympic based for the most part - swimming, track and field (yes, some can make millions, Phelps and Bolt and others). All in all I hope colleges embrace the smaller sports and I hope the Paul Rabil's of the world try to grow the game just like Phelps did with swimming. Believe it or not there is a world wide professional league for swimming. Are millions made no but people perform their craft bc they love it.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #302186 05/20/20 03:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I don’t know if all the big programs will be fine. Let’s face reality. Colleges are losing millions of dollars over this crisis. Lacrosse brings absolutely no revenue to a college. Networks don’t have bidding wars to televise a lax game. Maybe 2000 people attend the actual games, some of these stadiums seat 80 to 100,000 people. Some places don’t even charge for tickets. I hope this doesn’t happen, but colleges are businesses. People who need to cut costs running a business, non revenue parts of the business are the first to go.


while I hear you re revenue, I would love to see donations broken down by sport at the school by their alumni base. I am willing to wager that by in large lax programs are heavy donors and they have 40-50 players per team. I have always said this and thought this was a good impetus to grow the sport. Unfortunately I have never seen any study.

12.6 scholarships for a team so the majority pay full (yes I know about academic scholarships and financial aid) but in general lax players pay for their way to go to college and then if they donate in a large amount its fresh money for the school.


What's occurring at this moment is the reason why there isn't any substantial force at the collegiate level to grow the sport. Big money donors will always support revenue sports, where TV, merchandise rights, etc all come into play. NBA, NFL have their eyes on Duke basketball, LSU football, can care less about lax. Give Paul Rabil a few years to age. No longer will he be able to run around in his skinny jeans, and tight tee shirts, he will be come a thing of the past very quickly. Further, Lax will never become more than what it is now, period.


This attitude is silly. I cant imagine most parents or kids and especially colleges have even a scintilla of thought that lax is LSU football or Duke basketball. However, college is just not about football and basketball. If that was the case we wouldn't have baseball, crew. cross country, fencing, golf, hockey, soccer, water polo, field hockey, gymnastics, softball, swimming, wrestling, tennis, track & field, tennis etc. Most everyone does not think lax needs to be bigger or better however why begrudge those (Paul Rabil) who try. There is a place for it just like all of these other sports. Higher learning encompasses all aspects of education and that includes theater, band, choir, AND SPORTS etc . . Getting back to the sports I just mentioned, some may make money for their schools like Penn state wrestling or Utah gymnastics but for the most part they don't. Some of them have professional status to make millions - baseball, tennis, hockey golf, soccer, etc . . and others are just olympic based for the most part - swimming, track and field (yes, some can make millions, Phelps and Bolt and others). All in all I hope colleges embrace the smaller sports and I hope the Paul Rabil's of the world try to grow the game just like Phelps did with swimming. Believe it or not there is a world wide professional league for swimming. Are millions made no but people perform their craft bc they love it.


Thanks Paul ! Good Luck with those jeans !

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #302193 05/20/20 05:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That whole long post is very accurate. Without question. However what you seem to be forgetting or not mentioning,is what’s going on in today’s world. Tuitions this spring weren’t paid in full. Summer school tuition will not be paid. Fall tuition is a maybe. Room and board hasn’t been paid. Colleges are losing multiple millions of dollars. Cost cutting will be wide spread. Like Furman with baseball and lax. There will be more Furmans in the near future, unfortunately.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #302195 05/20/20 06:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I don’t know if all the big programs will be fine. Let’s face reality. Colleges are losing millions of dollars over this crisis. Lacrosse brings absolutely no revenue to a college. Networks don’t have bidding wars to televise a lax game. Maybe 2000 people attend the actual games, some of these stadiums seat 80 to 100,000 people. Some places don’t even charge for tickets. I hope this doesn’t happen, but colleges are businesses. People who need to cut costs running a business, non revenue parts of the business are the first to go.


while I hear you re revenue, I would love to see donations broken down by sport at the school by their alumni base. I am willing to wager that by in large lax programs are heavy donors and they have 40-50 players per team. I have always said this and thought this was a good impetus to grow the sport. Unfortunately I have never seen any study.

12.6 scholarships for a team so the majority pay full (yes I know about academic scholarships and financial aid) but in general lax players pay for their way to go to college and then if they donate in a large amount its fresh money for the school.


What's occurring at this moment is the reason why there isn't any substantial force at the collegiate level to grow the sport. Big money donors will always support revenue sports, where TV, merchandise rights, etc all come into play. NBA, NFL have their eyes on Duke basketball, LSU football, can care less about lax. Give Paul Rabil a few years to age. No longer will he be able to run around in his skinny jeans, and tight tee shirts, he will be come a thing of the past very quickly. Further, Lax will never become more than what it is now, period.


This attitude is silly. I cant imagine most parents or kids and especially colleges have even a scintilla of thought that lax is LSU football or Duke basketball. However, college is just not about football and basketball. If that was the case we wouldn't have baseball, crew. cross country, fencing, golf, hockey, soccer, water polo, field hockey, gymnastics, softball, swimming, wrestling, tennis, track & field, tennis etc. Most everyone does not think lax needs to be bigger or better however why begrudge those (Paul Rabil) who try. There is a place for it just like all of these other sports. Higher learning encompasses all aspects of education and that includes theater, band, choir, AND SPORTS etc . . Getting back to the sports I just mentioned, some may make money for their schools like Penn state wrestling or Utah gymnastics but for the most part they don't. Some of them have professional status to make millions - baseball, tennis, hockey golf, soccer, etc . . and others are just olympic based for the most part - swimming, track and field (yes, some can make millions, Phelps and Bolt and others). All in all I hope colleges embrace the smaller sports and I hope the Paul Rabil's of the world try to grow the game just like Phelps did with swimming. Believe it or not there is a world wide professional league for swimming. Are millions made no but people perform their craft bc they love it.


I didn't say lax can hold a candle stick to LSU football or Duke basketball. I spoke to big money donors supporting revenue sports. Like someone said, lax will always be a fun niche sport, and nothing more. And, that's okay.

Thanks Paul ! Good Luck with those jeans !

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #302211 05/21/20 11:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Isn't this a HS forum? Why did Manhasset move conferences? More competition??

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #302215 05/21/20 12:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Isn't this a HS forum? Why did Manhasset move conferences? More competition??


Not in Nassau but getting off the island certainly won't be as easy.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #302216 05/21/20 01:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Isn't this a HS forum? Why did Manhasset move conferences? More competition??


Not in Nassau but getting off the island certainly won't be as easy.


Conference placement is based on school enrollment for boys. The girls have a power conference based on historical records. In the end the playoffs for both boys and girls are based on enrollment.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #302428 05/29/20 10:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Isn't this a HS forum? Why did Manhasset move conferences? More competition??


Not in Nassau but getting off the island certainly won't be as easy.


Conference placement is based on school enrollment for boys. The girls have a power conference based on historical records. In the end the playoffs for both boys and girls are based on enrollment.


Can anyone confirm that? Where would I find the numbers?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #302529 06/02/20 11:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NCAA screwed every high school class of 23, 22, 21, and 20 by allowing a 5th year of eligibility for ALL players in college NOT just seniors. This along with the hold backs makes the landscape extremely tilted.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #302531 06/02/20 11:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
NCAA screwed every high school class of 23, 22, 21, and 20 by allowing a 5th year of eligibility for ALL players in college NOT just seniors. This along with the hold backs makes the landscape extremely tilted.


we just have to roll with it

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #302534 06/02/20 03:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would think very few players will stay at the same school for their 5th year.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #302546 06/02/20 09:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Isn't this a HS forum? Why did Manhasset move conferences? More competition??


Not in Nassau but getting off the island certainly won't be as easy.


Conference placement is based on school enrollment for boys. The girls have a power conference based on historical records. In the end the playoffs for both boys and girls are based on enrollment.


Can anyone confirm that? Where would I find the numbers?


Really? This has been the case for decades. Conferences are enrollment based.

Like Reply Quote
Page 469 of 470 1 2 467 468 469 470
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard
CAMPS & CLINICS
BOTC SPONSORS

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4