SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 39 of 56 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 55 56
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!
Anonymous #301208 04/12/20 07:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This thread has become boring to the point of being irrelevant. The non stop complaining about a kid who happens to be 6 or 9 months older then other kids being what justifies him being a superior player is dense and long in the tooth. My son plays basketball and lacrosse. He has kids who are young in both seasons who have or currently play-up in age and were/are top players. Likewise there are kids on these teams who are on grade but younger then others who are superior players. During the basketball season his team played against, and beat teams, that were a grade older then them. Why? The guys on his team, whether young or on grade, were better players then the other guys despite the other guys being older, a little bigger and stronger.

Likewise, when I was a kid I played both sandlot sports and organized sports. On the sand lot I played against guys 2 and 3 years older then me. Competing against these guys these guys “in no blood / no foul” games made me a much better player in organized sports despite me being a non “holdback” with an August birthday. During high school I was always one of the better players on the team, was a varsity basketball starter as a sophomore and team captain in my jr and sr years despite being way younger then the other guys on the team.

Sports, like in life, will see the cream rise. If your son or his team cannot hang against a team that has two or three kids 6 or 9 months older them him please accept the fact that your son or his team just are not as good as the other team. Constant blaming, crying or calling foul only demeans your son, his team and you. As the slogan goes - “Nobody cares, work harder!”

It is always the same. Some reason all the holdback parents want their holdback son to get better playing down yet tell us parents that our on age son will get better playing against their older son. Total Hypocrites.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

lax516 #301210 04/12/20 09:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don’t despise anyone. It’s not kids fault it’s parents. Do you hear well? It’s not 14 to 19 or 18 to 25. It’s youth sports. They can play in peace. Play their age is peaceful. It’s not loud playing your age. It’s called fair. All I’m saying 15 times in a row. I’d be embarrassed if my 8 year old dominated 6 and 7 year olds. This seems like a cut and dry statement. My question to you peaceful mom or dad. Would you not be embarrassed if your 8 year old went against 6 and 7 year olds? I just can’t imagine normal people not being embarrassed by this.

Like Reply Quote
lax516 #301215 04/12/20 01:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice one! Jordan the Goat was cut for an older bigger kid in high school! So if a super talent had problems beating out an older better kid what chance does a regular kid have when a parent has their kid play down because of a loophole. At least Jordan was HS Varsity. See how it affected Jordan? Did you hear his hall of fame speech? What a donk. Used his podium of honor to denigrate a retired teacher and coach, old teamates, coaches, his kids and others. No class. I would hope that sports would teach our kids better. I used to think he was the man in the 80s. Now my favorite Michael Jordan story is that he threatened to beat up Robert Parish's in practice and Parish said okay lets go, Jordan walked away. Just a Bully.

Like Reply Quote
lax516 #301216 04/12/20 03:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree that having an 8 year old playing a 6 year old is pretty bizarre. My point is most “holdbacks” are not 2 years older then the kids they play. More likely the kid was born in June or July so he is on average maybe 4 to 8 months older. The problem I have is you conflate your 2 year age example and smear it evenly across all so called “holdbacks” as if - 2 yeaa as r age difference is common when it is the exception.

For kids who are a few months early of your magic September cut off date, please do not judge them or the their folks until you walk a mile in their shoes.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #301220 04/12/20 06:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the kid is on average only 4 to 8 months older why so scared to play on age against kids 4 to 8 months older? No way thats crazy little johnny might get pushed around.......instead I will do to younger kids what I fear might happen to my kid. In fact I might send him to do private school so he can get another year so he can dominate. Parents that think their kid is good will play them up not beat on younger kids. When I was a kid the older kids respected the kid playing up and looked out for them. The younger kid looked up to those guys. Nowadays , I saw a holdback on a middle school team who slap a teamate who is the youngest littlest kid on the team in the helmet telling him to catch the ball. This is the same kid that in youth league got rocked and cried when when he scrimmaged against the year older team which he should have been on but repeated the grade. Can't compete repeat or holdback so you can bully younger kids instead of earning your peers respect.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
lax516 #301221 04/12/20 06:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the kid is on average only 4 to 8 months older why so scared to play on age against kids 4 to 8 months older? No way thats crazy little johnny might get pushed around.......instead I will do to younger kids what I fear might happen to my kid. In fact I might send him to do private school so he can get another year so he can dominate. Parents that think their kid is good will play them up not beat on younger kids. When I was a kid the older kids respected the kid playing up and looked out for them. The younger kid looked up to those guys. Nowadays , I saw a holdback on a middle school team who slap a teamate who is the youngest littlest kid on the team in the helmet telling him to catch the ball. This is the same kid that in youth league got rocked and cried when when he scrimmaged against the year older team which he should have been on but repeated the grade. Can't compete repeat or holdback so you can bully younger kids instead of earning your peers respect.

Like Reply Quote
lax516 #301222 04/12/20 06:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First off it’s not my magic cutoff date. It’s the lacrosse date used. Secondly I said 8 year olds playing 6 and 7 year olds. That means 1 to 2 years. Stop twisting things. My son is playing his grade. He is April. Now if I hold him back a year, he will play kids 1 year to possibly 2 years younger than him. If I were to watch my son run up and down the field on these younger kids, I’d feel like an embarrassment. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t need to walk in other peoples shoes. What does that even mean?. Walk in their shoes to have an 8 year old play younger kids. What kind of response is that. Discussion over.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #301223 04/12/20 08:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First off it’s not my magic cutoff date. It’s the lacrosse date used. Secondly I said 8 year olds playing 6 and 7 year olds. That means 1 to 2 years. Stop twisting things. My son is playing his grade. He is April. Now if I hold him back a year, he will play kids 1 year to possibly 2 years younger than him. If I were to watch my son run up and down the field on these younger kids, I’d feel like an embarrassment. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t need to walk in other peoples shoes. What does that even mean?. Walk in their shoes to have an 8 year old play younger kids. What kind of response is that. Discussion over.

This guy is right and on top of this the states have different grade cut off so this holdback thing is even more complicated. My kid is March school cut off is December he is 9 months older than some December kid. The holdback is August/Sept he is 7 months older than my kid. He is 16 months older than the December kid. Now go to a state with September cutoff take a holdback from that state add another 6 months. They are are the same grade at a travel tournament. My kid can't cut it,I will let him beat on younger kids. The only magic is the parent cheating. We all know magic is illusion and tricks.

Like Reply Quote
lax516 #301227 04/13/20 08:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Same on my kids team. One of those kids had a great game last spring. I was driving my son and his friend home after the game. I remember saying, so and so had a great game. He is really good. The boys started giggling they were in 3rd grade. I said what’s so funny. They said you know he was left back. He is older than everyone else. The next practice I spoke to another couple dads. He wasn’t left back, his parents held him back. He is a really good player, but against younger kids, he is off the charts good. I’d also be embarrassed by this. How his parents can sit and watch the game, cheer like everything is all peachy is laughable. Plus all the kids know this. For a parent to do this to his son at this young age, embarrassing. You want your son to be off the charts good. Do it the right way. Practice hard. Get him training. That’s the way to do it.

More embarrassing to me are the parents who moan and complain on the sidelines when a big kid outplays their kid or team. My son is a tall, good player (from MD). Every time we play a NY team I hear dads complaining that he's a hold back when he scores. I am 6'2, my wife is almost 6'0, he is on grade. bigger doesn't mean hold back.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #301228 04/13/20 08:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This guy is right and on top of this the states have different grade cut off so this holdback thing is even more complicated. My kid is March school cut off is December he is 9 months older than some December kid. The holdback is August/Sept he is 7 months older than my kid. He is 16 months older than the December kid. Now go to a state with September cutoff take a holdback from that state add another 6 months. They are are the same grade at a travel tournament. My kid can't cut it,I will let him beat on younger kids. The only magic is the parent cheating. We all know magic is illusion and tricks.

Did anyone celebrate Easter with their family yesterday? Give it a rest already. No one of any importance from US lacrosse is on here ever. It’s just a bunch of frustrated dads who can’t come to grips with their sons ability.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #301229 04/13/20 08:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It doesn't matter... if the kids are good enough, they are good enough. Regardless of age. Freshman play varsity against seniors and seniors play against freshman. Just play. If you are good, you won't get missed.

Like Reply Quote
lax516 #301232 04/13/20 09:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, discussion over. It’s like talking to robots. Seniors playing against freshman. . Freshman playing against seniors. That’s High school. Do you not here well? I’m talking youth. My 8 year old playing against 6 and 7 year olds, would be an embarrassment. Watching my kid run through younger kids, I’d feel ashamed. Now some other guy is saying he is 6 foot 2. I’m not talking size. Do you hear well too. I don’t care if your youth kid is 6 foot 8. I’m talking about youth holdbacks. Parents who do this, in my opinion, are embarrassments. Normal parents are talking behind your backs, they are bad mouthing you.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #301234 04/13/20 10:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Same on my kids team. One of those kids had a great game last spring. I was driving my son and his friend home after the game. I remember saying, so and so had a great game. He is really good. The boys started giggling they were in 3rd grade. I said what’s so funny. They said you know he was left back. He is older than everyone else. The next practice I spoke to another couple dads. He wasn’t left back, his parents held him back. He is a really good player, but against younger kids, he is off the charts good. I’d also be embarrassed by this. How his parents can sit and watch the game, cheer like everything is all peachy is laughable. Plus all the kids know this. For a parent to do this to his son at this young age, embarrassing. You want your son to be off the charts good. Do it the right way. Practice hard. Get him training. That’s the way to do it.

More embarrassing to me are the parents who moan and complain on the sidelines when a big kid outplays their kid or team. My son is a tall, good player (from MD). Every time we play a NY team I hear dads complaining that he's a hold back when he scores. I am 6'2, my wife is almost 6'0, he is on grade. bigger doesn't mean hold back.

When I see a big kid I have brains enough to look at the sideline. If I see parents that are 6+ ft then you can obviously tell thats why that kid is so big, not that he is a holdback. There are many times when there are 5 kids on a team who are a head taller and none of the parents are over 5ft 8. There is a very successful high school soccer team near me. Might be ranked top 3 in the country now. Growing up they always had kids who were way bigger and often times more skilled then everyone else. None of the parents are over 5ft 5. I know one of the coaches there and he told me there is nothing he can do. They show him a birth certificate from some country that looks made up and that the kid has a full beard but the birth certificate says he is only 11.

Point being it is usually easy to see which teams are using holdbacks/cheating. Looks at the parents. 99% of the time dna doesn't lie.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #301237 04/13/20 10:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, discussion over. It’s like talking to robots. Seniors playing against freshman. . Freshman playing against seniors. That’s High school. Do you not here well? I’m talking youth. My 8 year old playing against 6 and 7 year olds, would be an embarrassment. Watching my kid run through younger kids, I’d feel ashamed. Now some other guy is saying he is 6 foot 2. I’m not talking size. Do you hear well too. I don’t care if your youth kid is 6 foot 8. I’m talking about youth holdbacks. Parents who do this, in my opinion, are embarrassments. Normal parents are talking behind your backs, they are bad mouthing you.

Why do you think that life is fair? Its not and never will be. Competition in youth sports is optional. You know what you are getting into when you sign up. Yes it stinks that there are cheaters and amoral leaders. Its not going to change until "you" change. The governing bodies are feckless because they are concerned about protecting the organization above its members. So choose. Work your butt off for change, or survive the system and see what happens. IMO there are bigger issues to tackle before we can get to this one. In hindsight one day I suspect you will realize it never really mattered anyway. While living it, its angering. Think of it this way, encourage your son to play, have fun, even if its for a B team, train, get better, and if he wants to kick butt in HS, get prepared.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #301239 04/13/20 11:59 AM
C
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
C

Why do you think that life is fair? Its not and never will be. Competition in youth sports is optional. You know what you are getting into when you sign up. Yes it stinks that there are cheaters and amoral leaders. Its not going to change until "you" change. The governing bodies are feckless because they are concerned about protecting the organization above its members. So choose. Work your butt off for change, or survive the system and see what happens. IMO there are bigger issues to tackle before we can get to this one. In hindsight one day I suspect you will realize it never really mattered anyway. While living it, its angering. Think of it this way, encourage your son to play, have fun, even if its for a B team, train, get better, and if he wants to kick butt in HS, get prepared.

I still don't understand what makes lacrosse so special that it is the only sport still organized by grade instead of age. Not whining, just haven't heard a coherent argument for why that should be.

Like Reply Quote
Page 39 of 56 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 55 56
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard