SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 43 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 42 43
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301010
04/04/20 02:31 PM
04/04/20 02:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Everybody has great arguments and different perspectives based on their daughter's position in all of this. Regarding this year's college seniors, what percentage do you actually think will play an additional year? Are seniors able to transfer to another school to seek a graduate degree? I'm thinking players that were seeking records, championships, MVP's, all-conference will be the ones that ponder the opportunity. Other than that, many have already taken jobs/careers etc.

It will all work out eventually. In life there are many roadblocks. Let's teach our daughters to compromise and adjust accordingly while maintaining the spirit of the game while focusing on the number one goal, a degree.

We will see. There seem to be a lot of names of players (men and women) entering the transfer portal and few who have already decided to stay at their school and play another year.
The 5th year eligibility is transferable to other schools. All current players get the "red shirt." For next year only, the NCAA granted 5th year seniors "financial aid flexibility" to "grant seniors equal or less financial aid than what they would have received in 2019-20."

Coach Galloway estimated 50% for his Jacksonville men's lacrosse team are going to stay. Other coaches have estimated keeping their own players in the 20-30% range. These estimates don't include possible transfers. Ivy league, Patriot League, and D3 players will probably have to find a school to transfer to in order to take advantage of their 5th year eligibility.

Some people think that this year's seniors might be less likely to play another year because they have already made decisions concerning jobs and graduate schools and it may be already too late to change those decisions. But the next 3 senior classes obviously have more time to restructure their classes, graduate school, and job decisions to fit a 5th year. With an expected soft labor market for the next couple of years, staying another year in school (if feasible) and playing another year of lacrosse, might seem increasingly preferable. So it may not all be about seeking records, championships, MVP's, etc.

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #301020
04/05/20 02:14 PM
04/05/20 02:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought the NCAA was to vote on players able to make money from there likeness and such in early April. I am sure they probably are glad this is pushed off, or did they vote.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301021
04/05/20 02:39 PM
04/05/20 02:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ility-student-athletes-impacted-covid-19

They already voted. Every current NCAA spring sports athlete gets to play 4 seasons in 5 years. Next year's 5th year seniors do not count toward the 12 scholarships cap.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #301033
04/06/20 06:53 AM
04/06/20 06:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not talking about eligibility. I am talking for players mainly basketball and football players to make a royalty or pay for their likeness? Like jersey, or camps they run with there name on it.

I thought vote was April for this topic.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #301074
04/08/20 08:05 AM
04/08/20 08:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is becoming increasingly more clear that there will be many more seniors taking advantage of the 5th year than anyone thinks.

The reason is simply the economy; no new jobs for those looking and unfortunately loss of jobs for those already offered. Best option for most will be to go back to school and enhance your education with a graduate degree or other and play your 5th year.

We are already seeing this with seniors originally saying no but are no saying I am coming back for the economic reasons stated..........

I am glad they don't have to sit at home with no lacrosse and have this option to improve their educational marketability when things get back.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301088
04/08/20 11:35 AM
04/08/20 11:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is becoming increasingly more clear that there will be many more seniors taking advantage of the 5th year than anyone thinks.

The reason is simply the economy; no new jobs for those looking and unfortunately loss of jobs for those already offered. Best option for most will be to go back to school and enhance your education with a graduate degree or other and play your 5th year.

We are already seeing this with seniors originally saying no but are no saying I am coming back for the economic reasons stated..........

I am glad they don't have to sit at home with no lacrosse and have this option to improve their educational marketability when things get back.

I am hearing the reverse as more and more schools are telling the seniors they have no money for them even schools with healthy endowments.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #301091
04/08/20 12:22 PM
04/08/20 12:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On a different note it seemed like on the women’s side of things at the college level NY and LI in particular were really dominating the scene . Seems like a disproportionate amount of the top players were from NY .

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301107
04/08/20 04:29 PM
04/08/20 04:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very good point. Our daughter said the same thing. 2017 and 2019 classes are strong. It’s great to have some parody.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #301108
04/08/20 05:21 PM
04/08/20 05:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2017 is strong, your blind if you think the 2019s were strong. Two players at same school were doing very good in the 2019s.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301110
04/08/20 06:37 PM
04/08/20 06:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2017 is strong, your blind if you think the 2019s were strong. Two players at same school were doing very good in the 2019s.

Get over yourself . Can’t let a compliment go because you are so insecure .

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301117
04/09/20 07:27 AM
04/09/20 07:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All I can point to is first hand experience from several top D1 schools and both are experiencing many more seniors now changing their mind and coming back for a 5th year. It definitely is due to poor job market or loss of employment based on what these students are saying.

I can't speak to schools with lesser budgets but you would think with all the years of excessive endowments and the amount of new building they have done that these schools would have the money. The difference is whether they are willing to spend it on women lacrosse or not I guess.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301125
04/09/20 11:54 AM
04/09/20 11:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All I can point to is first hand experience from several top D1 schools and both are experiencing many more seniors now changing their mind and coming back for a 5th year. It definitely is due to poor job market or loss of employment based on what these students are saying.

I can't speak to schools with lesser budgets but you would think with all the years of excessive endowments and the amount of new building they have done that these schools would have the money. The difference is whether they are willing to spend it on women lacrosse or not I guess.

I know several schools like Duke who have fairly large endowment funds ( around 9 billion for Duke ) who will be offering no money to the returning seniors . That will have an impact .

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301127
04/09/20 12:25 PM
04/09/20 12:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I imagine that what schools do for one spring sport they need to be willing to do for all. This isn't just a lacrosse issue. I support the NCAA's decision on granting another year of eligibility, and giving conferences and universities some flexibility with scholarships for seniors who want to return, but won't be surprised if many programs don't get much or any additional scholarship money. Coaches are facing tough decisions.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #301129
04/09/20 01:04 PM
04/09/20 01:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd like to see what the NCAA decides to do if fall sports are cancelled, too. Based on their existing precedent with spring athletes, the fall athletes in all 4 classes (for up to 8 sports) would deserve the same do-over. Let's see how they pay for that. Just for D1 football, it's 125 players and 85 scholarships. And if fall sports are cancelled, could winter sports be next? When will the NCAA learn that it's impossible to make everyone whole?

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #301139
04/09/20 05:15 PM
04/09/20 05:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd like to see what the NCAA decides to do if fall sports are cancelled, too. Based on their existing precedent with spring athletes, the fall athletes in all 4 classes (for up to 8 sports) would deserve the same do-over. Let's see how they pay for that. Just for D1 football, it's 125 players and 85 scholarships. And if fall sports are cancelled, could winter sports be next? When will the NCAA learn that it's impossible to make everyone whole?

You must be a real pleasure to be around. There are a million what ifs , why not try to make as many whole as you can. You obviously do not have a college senior and my guess is your kid is still in high school and you realize the competitive landscape just got a little harder. Some of these schools have billions in endowments , let them spend some of that.

Reply Quote
Page 35 of 43 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 42 43
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification