03/27/20 12:30 PM
03/27/20 12:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I hear what you are saying and I agree. If holding him back, education wise, helping him get a better job, that makes sense. However this is a lacrosse thread. That means the point of holding someone back for lacrosse purposes is probably the point of this discussion. So to better answer your point, I in a million years wouldn’t hold my son back for lacrosse. If he is a really good player, instead of a great player, that’s life. He will graduate high school when he is supposed to. Hopefully graduate college in 4 years. He will be 22 at that point, then it’s interviews and get a job.

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #300720
03/27/20 01:45 PM
03/27/20 01:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
this is
If the kid had a chance to go to the nba, I’d say reclass him. With this sport, if it were my son, he would go to college, then get a job. The upside with this sport is limited to saving 12 grand a year in college, maybe working a lacrosse camp for 300 dollars a week. No thanks.

This is the part of the conversation I find funny. Maybe I am in the minority but for the most part we are probably talking about the elite or excellent player who reclassifies (I know those who will say if they are elite why will they reclassify) but putting that aside I cant imagine people reclassifying bc they want their kid to go play in the PLL for a few bucks or saving 12 grand in college. If reclassifying gets a boy into the Ivies or Duke or Va etc or certain schools in the NESCAC versus a second rate school then the parent did well by the child. Its not about a few month advantage in high school or even a year its about getting your child he best education possible which will potentially lead to greater chances and choices in life. Note I said potentially bc you can be successful going to lower end state school. Now before anyone says I am a parent of a hold back, my son will enter his senior year as a 16 year old and turn 17 in January of his senior year thus clearly younger than holdbacks. I do not begrudge the parents who seek to have their kids go to Deerfield or Brunswick or any other school if they are able to provide the best for their kid then good for them. My son will have to step up.

I agree with the comment above wholeheartedly! This Fall, my son is transferring to prep school from a public school setting. He’s a solid on-age starter in the NLF. I’ve seen/read about both sides of the holdback story and I can say I’m not at all thinking about my son becoming a “holdback”. I’m also not transferring him to gain an athletic advantage (he’s already strong on- age, playing against kids who’ve already been “held back”. Here’s what I’m in it for: He’ll get a tremendous high school education that *may* help him get into a better university. He’ll gain a network of alumni who perform well in the real world. He’ll be able to play strong competition in HS and maybe in college and have fun along the way. As a parent I’m valuing the education with lacrosse as a means to an end.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #300724
03/27/20 05:39 PM
03/27/20 05:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Holdback to get into a better school is fine, it’s just the other side will cry that you held back and took a spot from another kid, true but I put my kids needs first. I am seriously considering holding my son back because (a) I think this online class stinks (b) he’ll get an advantage in the classroom and (c) a better opportunity at a college acceptance. Sorry if you disagree and call me a name, have at it.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #300734
03/28/20 11:03 AM
03/28/20 11:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For club lacrosse Age based should be a thing, do what you want in HS. The difference between hockey, soccer and lacrosse is that soccer and hockey have well established national team programs and regional/national club leagues that feed to established well paying pro careers. We are really talking about the top 5% of the entire sports population. US Lacrosse has zero power, pull whatever you want to call it. Until they can become a true sanctioning body, be able to force the clubs and tournaments to follow their regulation, reclass players is a null point. Hockey and soccer will not let teams or individuals play on national teams that fail to follow their guidelines and they enforce policies. The kids want to be on these highest level teams and they must abide by the rules to get there. To be on the best lacrosse teams, they need to be a top 5% player and then they can just reclass to be a top 2% player.. Until the club team directors/owners are separated from the tournament director/owners, US Lacrosse will continue to be a neutered organization and we will still be complaining about reclass kids..

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #300738
03/28/20 01:27 PM
03/28/20 01:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree. Forget US lacrosse for one minute. I’m saying this as a parent. How does another parent of a youth player, actually allow their son to play against younger kids. Not high school, youth is what I’m saying. I’d be embarrassed as a dad, allowing my son to play against kids a year or 2 younger. If your kid has a good game, what do you say to him. Good game son, you scored 4 goals. Doesn’t it enter your head as you say that. Well my son is 10, he dominated 8 and 9 year olds.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #300739
03/28/20 02:41 PM
03/28/20 02:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree. Forget US lacrosse for one minute. I’m saying this as a parent. How does another parent of a youth player, actually allow their son to play against younger kids. Not high school, youth is what I’m saying. I’d be embarrassed as a dad, allowing my son to play against kids a year or 2 younger. If your kid has a good game, what do you say to him. Good game son, you scored 4 goals. Doesn’t it enter your head as you say that. Well my son is 10, he dominated 8 and 9 year olds.

It say a lot about lacrosse parents in general. I second that. I don't see the point of it, but the parents that allow this, easily justify their own actions. even the 1 year hold backs stand out from the majority of the on age kids, let alone a 2 year hold back.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #300741
03/28/20 04:34 PM
03/28/20 04:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree, but some parents only care about their children and are selfish. I have two sons playing for last 7 years. I have seen multiple parents have sons repeat a grade and play their kid against kids two and half younger against combo teams and one year and half younger on grade. As long as their kid does well its great, god forbid though if their kid has to play against older kids. Guess the ends justify the means. Back when I was a kid it was cheating and pathetic. Now its a viable strategy. Parents need to be called out by the other parents if you ask me. Sure it will make conflict but hey they don't care about your kid why should we care if they get embarrassed that little Johnie is exposed. Clubs just want the money thats a business.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #300742
03/28/20 04:42 PM
03/28/20 04:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just wondering. My son was born in early August. At around 3 years old he exhibited learning differences. His start of kindergarten was delayed by a year after consultation with his dr. He started playing organized sports at around six or so and in the past few years took to lacrosse. 1) Is it fair that he, using your “holdback” logic, be negated from playing sports with his classmates and instead be pushed up a year and play with kids not in his class? Remember the only reason for him being “held back” was his having a learning difference. 2) Do you really think he has some kind of super advantage in sports over kids born in Oct or Dec in the same year? A 3 to 4 month time frame. 3) How do you reconcile the trade off of him being behind his peers in learning vs some perceived advantage in sports? 4) Would you be willing to have your son switch places with him and give up academic advantage for perceived sports “holdback” advantage? Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to better understand perspective on this topic.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #300743
03/28/20 05:16 PM
03/28/20 05:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree, but some parents only care about their children and are selfish. I have two sons playing for last 7 years. I have seen multiple parents have sons repeat a grade and play their kid against kids two and half younger against combo teams and one year and half younger on grade. As long as their kid does well its great, god forbid though if their kid has to play against older kids. Guess the ends justify the means. Back when I was a kid it was cheating and pathetic. Now its a viable strategy. Parents need to be called out by the other parents if you ask me. Sure it will make conflict but hey they don't care about your kid why should we care if they get embarrassed that little Johnie is exposed. Clubs just want the money thats a business.

Senior at one of the top privates on the Island is a 2 year hold back.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #300744
03/28/20 06:55 PM
03/28/20 06:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He started kindergarten late. He had delays, social issues, the doctor says this, the doctor says that, all this is legitimate reasons to hold a kid back. 100 percent. I’m sure there are soccer kids, baseball kids, hockey kids with similar situations. Nobody is saying holding your kid back for real life issues is wrong. However late August, mid July, early April, means nothing. A cutoff date is a cutoff date. Pick a date and go with it, period. Those real life issues, shouldn’t pertain to sports. If he academically is a 3rd grader, but his age makes him a 4th grader, he should play with the 4th graders. That’s what I would do. That’s what other sports do. That’s the right thing to do.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #300753
03/29/20 10:57 AM
03/29/20 10:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He started kindergarten late. He had delays, social issues, the doctor says this, the doctor says that, all this is legitimate reasons to hold a kid back. 100 percent. I’m sure there are soccer kids, baseball kids, hockey kids with similar situations. Nobody is saying holding your kid back for real life issues is wrong. However late August, mid July, early April, means nothing. A cutoff date is a cutoff date. Pick a date and go with it, period. Those real life issues, shouldn’t pertain to sports. If he academically is a 3rd grader, but his age makes him a 4th grader, he should play with the 4th graders. That’s what I would do. That’s what other sports do. That’s the right thing to do.

Okay, I pick my kid's birthday as the start date for age cut off.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #300754
03/29/20 11:02 AM
03/29/20 11:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What's the argument against having a % number of players older than 9/1 and being in the same class? In some basketball leagues, the directors grade the teams after the 1st games and shape divisions based off talent levels. Lots of different ways than a strict age date. Why not an age ceiling plus %?

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #300756
03/29/20 11:28 AM
03/29/20 11:28 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just wondering. My son was born in early August. At around 3 years old he exhibited learning differences. His start of kindergarten was delayed by a year after consultation with his dr. He started playing organized sports at around six or so and in the past few years took to lacrosse. 1) Is it fair that he, using your “holdback” logic, be negated from playing sports with his classmates and instead be pushed up a year and play with kids not in his class? Remember the only reason for him being “held back” was his having a learning difference. 2) Do you really think he has some kind of super advantage in sports over kids born in Oct or Dec in the same year? A 3 to 4 month time frame. 3) How do you reconcile the trade off of him being behind his peers in learning vs some perceived advantage in sports? 4) Would you be willing to have your son switch places with him and give up academic advantage for perceived sports “holdback” advantage? Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to better understand perspective on this topic.

Your situation is the rarity. If that is all to contend with , I am not sure it would be a problem. What is happening now in lacrosse is holdbacks/reclassed/prefirsts are out of control. Many are only staying back for an advantage in sports.
Total wrong to get an advantage in youth that others dont get.

Like someone said. Pick a date and stick with it. at least every in youth will be within 12 months or less of each other

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #300759
03/29/20 01:51 PM
03/29/20 01:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Kid would probably make new friends not unlike travel and get better playing with older kids. 2. Not a significant advantage over the fall winter of his year but a huge advantage over the summer fall winter kids of the grade year. He could be a 1 yr 4 months older. On a combo even greater 2 years 4 months. Example 1/2 team 6 year old vs 8 and a half year old. Worse 5/6 10 yearold vs a 12 and half year old who hit puberty. Would you want to have your kid play? 3. The holdback is not trading off anything, the parent is creating an artificial advantage academically for child and also using it to create an advantage in athletics also. Which is really pronounced in lacrosse because unlike other sports its not being age regulated. 4. No. All parents do what they think is best for their child, if something a parent does for their child adversely affects another parents child , isn't it up to the us as parents to stick up for their child especially when some parents have a total disregard for another childrens well being or are being taken advantage of. Sometimes a kid is just better or bigger than the others. As a coach I have seen kids that I thought were prodigies or really physically gifted then I find out they are holdbacks or double holdbacks. Man, that 10 year old plays like a 13 year old. Coach, thats because he is 13.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #300760
03/29/20 02:36 PM
03/29/20 02:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

An age ceiling percentage. Really man. It’s youth sports. This isn’t physics. Stop already. Stop making this difficult. It’s black and white. There is a date cutoff. Kids should play the same year. I have 3 kids, one is a summer baby. Too bad on him, he will be 10 or 11 months younger than others. That’s life, sorry. He will he youngest on team. Oh well. Life goes on. Kids aren’t 2 or 3 years older, maybe 11 months. That’s the way it goes.

Reply Quote
Page 33 of 52 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 51 52
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification