BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: 2019-2020 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s done, they have the extra year. It’s the particulars that need to be finalized. Can you transfer, scholarship money, roster size...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I used to have a horse in the race, but now have a senior going to college without lax.

I will say, many players and workers across the world lost the year and jobs. The only group I hear getting it back our the NCAA players. I don’t think any employers or HS are “repeating” the year, and going to make you “ whole”. I don’t think I could tell my company I lost commissions because my account cancelled all the orders, you owe me money even though nothing shipped.

Give a year to the seniors, and 3 scholarships for a year to divide, and be done with it. This might be affecting 4-6 players a team, not 35. Manageable. Much can happen between a freshmen and senior year so let the others move up in normal process.

I do believe they are student athletes first, and the school did give them a full year of school credits, correct?

Yes people around the globe have lost immeasurably.... jobs, school years, proms, money etc.... and yes LIVES! The rest of the world is not getting anything back. I think the extra year of eligibility was a quick reaction by NCAA to ease the pain of the canceled season. They honestly should retract that offer. These kids should be graduating and moving on with their lives, just like the rest of the real world is forced to do. Too many kids and certainly way too many parents put way too much weight on playing this sport. The win for kids and parents should have been that lacrosse got your kid into a better school than they would have otherwise, or lacrosse landed them a great scholarship for their education. You see way too many players graduating that had their priorities way out of whack. Where the sport was more important to them and unfortunately was more important to their parents than the real life education and opportunity. If done right, your kid should be graduating with an awesome degree and a career all lined up or plans for grad school. If your kid has put all his/her eggs in the lacrosse basket and has nothing planned for the real world after graduation, I guess go play, otherwise these kids are just giving away a year of their lives.

Totally agree!

Self centered and idiotic. Your argument is essentially a lot of people are suffering so these athletes should suffer also . I would assume you are against any form of a governmental Coronavirus stimulus package also. Your arrogance about thinking you know what other parents and their kids priorities are or should be is pathetic. If you have the means to mitigate peoples distress, which the NCAA does in this case, then why not . Your priorities for your kid might be right for you , get a good degree as fast as you can and get out into the world to make as much money as you can as fast as you can. Honestly I want my kid to earn a great degree but I also want them to make great friendships, have great experiences , make great memories etc. , even if it takes 5 years or more. “Giving away a year of their lives “ , what’s the rush?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it even worth it to do camps/prospect days this summer with so many schools distracted by the flux?
Many will wonder.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s done, they have the extra year. It’s the particulars that need to be finalized. Can you transfer, scholarship money, roster size...

Not true

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I used to have a horse in the race, but now have a senior going to college without lax.

I will say, many players and workers across the world lost the year and jobs. The only group I hear getting it back our the NCAA players. I don’t think any employers or HS are “repeating” the year, and going to make you “ whole”. I don’t think I could tell my company I lost commissions because my account cancelled all the orders, you owe me money even though nothing shipped.

Give a year to the seniors, and 3 scholarships for a year to divide, and be done with it. This might be affecting 4-6 players a team, not 35. Manageable. Much can happen between a freshmen and senior year so let the others move up in normal process.

I do believe they are student athletes first, and the school did give them a full year of school credits, correct?

Yes people around the globe have lost immeasurably.... jobs, school years, proms, money etc.... and yes LIVES! The rest of the world is not getting anything back. I think the extra year of eligibility was a quick reaction by NCAA to ease the pain of the canceled season. They honestly should retract that offer. These kids should be graduating and moving on with their lives, just like the rest of the real world is forced to do. Too many kids and certainly way too many parents put way too much weight on playing this sport. The win for kids and parents should have been that lacrosse got your kid into a better school than they would have otherwise, or lacrosse landed them a great scholarship for their education. You see way too many players graduating that had their priorities way out of whack. Where the sport was more important to them and unfortunately was more important to their parents than the real life education and opportunity. If done right, your kid should be graduating with an awesome degree and a career all lined up or plans for grad school. If your kid has put all his/her eggs in the lacrosse basket and has nothing planned for the real world after graduation, I guess go play, otherwise these kids are just giving away a year of their lives.

Totally agree!

Self centered and idiotic. Your argument is essentially a lot of people are suffering so these athletes should suffer also . I would assume you are against any form of a governmental Coronavirus stimulus package also. Your arrogance about thinking you know what other parents and their kids priorities are or should be is pathetic. If you have the means to mitigate peoples distress, which the NCAA does in this case, then why not . Your priorities for your kid might be right for you , get a good degree as fast as you can and get out into the world to make as much money as you can as fast as you can. Honestly I want my kid to earn a great degree but I also want them to make great friendships, have great experiences , make great memories etc. , even if it takes 5 years or more. “Giving away a year of their lives “ , what’s the rush?

There are no perfect answers, but why should the college athletes each get another year when the impact is that hundreds of high school kids won't even get the chance to play in college if current college kids get that extra year? I'd argue that the opportunity to get 3.25 years of spring play in (because they had fall ball too, which i acknowledge is not exactly the same) is a lot better than not getting any college lacrosse experience, which is what will absolutely occur, on a one for one basis for every college sophomore that elects to return to college for a fifth year. The high school kids are losing an entire year of lacrosse too!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true

D1 council agreed that eligibility relief is appropriate. On the 30th, that’s this Monday, they will finalize all the rules that will apply.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Totally agree!

There are no perfect answers, but why should the college athletes each get another year when the impact is that hundreds of high school kids won't even get the chance to play in college if current college kids get that extra year? I'd argue that the opportunity to get 3.25 years of spring play in (because they had fall ball too, which i acknowledge is not exactly the same) is a lot better than not getting any college lacrosse experience, which is what will absolutely occur, on a one for one basis for every college sophomore that elects to return to college for a fifth year. The high school kids are losing an entire year of lacrosse too!

I dont think the NCAA has an obligation to be concerned with current High School Students.. their concern is making sure that student athletes currently enrolled on college are eligible. ( following recruiting rules is their way of policing coaches.. not high school students.)

That said, its my opinion that the NCAA made that extra year eligibility announcement quickly to try and soften the absolute shock felt by all when the entire season ended in a 24 hour period...I think everyone has had time to get their feet back under them.. the shock has mostly subsided and a strange new life of virtual schooling has taken over.. they will give the eligibility but they wont give away the store.. I don't believe they will change scholarships caps..they will limit transfers. my point is it wont be a magic wand .. but it can be done.. the S/A will just have to work for it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true

D1 council agreed that eligibility relief is appropriate. On the 30th, that’s this Monday, they will finalize all the rules that will apply.

That's not true. It was a subcommittee that stated they determined that an extra year for all spring athletes was appropriate. The NCAA D1 Council has not said anything at this point and votes on Monday.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true

That's not true. It was a subcommittee that stated they determined that an extra year for all spring athletes was appropriate. The NCAA D1 Council has not said anything at this point and votes on Monday.

Wrong again , that subcommittee was in contact with the NCAA D1 Council and asked to release a statement on behalf of the NCAA . The NCAA has contacted all the D1 coaches and informed them that a so called 5th year of eligibility will be granted , it’s the details that have not been decided . The reason the made the decision so quickly is they wanted to comfort the seniors and not have them feeling horrible that they would never play the sport they love again , unlike you who seems to enjoy trying to make them feel horrible .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true

Wrong again , that subcommittee was in contact with the NCAA D1 Council and asked to release a statement on behalf of the NCAA . The NCAA has contacted all the D1 coaches and informed them that a so called 5th year of eligibility will be granted , it’s the details that have not been decided . The reason the made the decision so quickly is they wanted to comfort the seniors and not have them feeling horrible that they would never play the sport they love again , unlike you who seems to enjoy trying to make them feel horrible .

I'm sure determinations will NOT be made on "feelings." So many of you now realize sports are not priority. Lacrosse (D1), women or men is not high in the pecking order of D1 sports.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Would this work?

Why not give everybody the additional 4th year, allow an expansion of roster size and create a new limited underclass schedule to allow advancement of skills and playing time for growing players given the larger roster size might impact incoming recruits playing time (kind of like a pysdo JV or practice squad).

These underclass games could be played locally with other schools to minimize travel, cost and impact and players could be bumped up and down as needed. It also could be used as a practice squad much like the NFL but still keep underclass players engaged and growing to help the team and for those upper class not playing playing time as well.

Everything else stays the same and everybody gets their full 4 years. This should be somewhat budget neutral other than limited travel and refs but again if local, within an hour or two drive, should not be big deal. I think the coaches would love a place to help grow players rater than have them sit.

Responses?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Would this work?

Why not give everybody the additional 4th year, allow an expansion of roster size and create a new limited underclass schedule to allow advancement of skills and playing time for growing players given the larger roster size might impact incoming recruits playing time (kind of like a pysdo JV or practice squad).

These underclass games could be played locally with other schools to minimize travel, cost and impact and players could be bumped up and down as needed. It also could be used as a practice squad much like the NFL but still keep underclass players engaged and growing to help the team and for those upper class not playing playing time as well.

Everything else stays the same and everybody gets their full 4 years. This should be somewhat budget neutral other than limited travel and refs but again if local, within an hour or two drive, should not be big deal. I think the coaches would love a place to help grow players rater than have them sit.

Responses?

Tooth fairy is this you?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It sounds like a great idea. What about certain players getting more $$ based on having better ability. How will that play out with my incoming freshman scholarship amount and schools that do not offer graduate schools?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true

As I was saying, the D1 Council has agreed to nothing. Reports are things are going sideways. Schools won’t have the money to support this

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ot-a-slam-dunk-as-ncaa-prepares-to-vote/

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are opening Pandora's Box if they try to implement their original proposal to give all spring athletes an extra year.
1. Introducing competitive imbalance among college teams
2. Increasing costs for all schools
3. Potentially hurting fellow college players with decreased playing time and scholarship money- especially those who are unable advantage of 5th year exception.
3. Inhibiting access to college sports for HS athletes (2022 and 2023).
4. Setting an unwanted precedent for the future. What happens if fall and winter sports are somehow also cancelled? Do these athletes also get the same treatment?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Would this work?

Responses?

Tooth fairy is this you?

This is a joke - right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This post seems like a very reasonable and good idea to deal with a unique problem with no one "fix all" answer.

Just curious why the thoughtless negativity with no details or thoughts on why this would not help the situation. I personally like it and think it makes a lot of sense but don't understand why you are saying it is a joke.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This post seems like a very reasonable and good idea to deal with a unique problem with no one "fix all" answer.

Just curious why the thoughtless negativity with no details or thoughts on why this would not help the situation. I personally like it and think it makes a lot of sense but don't understand why you are saying it is a joke.

This is a joke right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Exactly this is a joke, is a joke.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are opening Pandora's Box if they try to implement their original proposal to give all spring athletes an extra year.
3. Potentially hurting fellow college players with decreased playing time and scholarship money- especially those who are unable advantage of 5th year exception.
4. Setting an unwanted precedent for the future. What happens if fall and winter sports are somehow also cancelled? Do these athletes also get the same treatment?

1) There is already a competitive imbalance ,how does this make it worse ?
2) So maybe they should limit roster size to 25 max at at schools if you are really concerned about the cost for schools
3) If you dont allow a 5th year you are definitely hurting college players with decreased playing time,not potentially.
3) (again) So I guess you are against growing the game or having inner city kids play as that might create too much competition for your kid
4) Its a good precedent and if your kid had her senior year taken from her or him you would want the opportunity
Its amazing you are a parent and have no empathy for what these college players are going thru. You are obviously the parent of a 2022 or 2023 player who is worried that they will not have a spot on a team and will miss out on their dream of playing in college . Not sure the answer to that is destroying the dream of some other kid. At least your kids dream is still under her control that has been taken away from these college players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true

As I was saying, the D1 Council has agreed to nothing. Reports are things are going sideways. Schools won’t have the money to support this

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ot-a-slam-dunk-as-ncaa-prepares-to-vote/

As I was saying granted it!!!!! Just the particulars

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true

Done ,

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2) So maybe they should limit roster size to 25 max at at schools if you are really concerned about the cost for schools
3) If you dont allow a 5th year you are definitely hurting college players with decreased playing time,not potentially.
3) (again) So I guess you are against growing the game or having inner city kids play as that might create too much competition for your kid
4) Its a good precedent and if your kid had her senior year taken from her or him you would want the opportunity
Its amazing you are a parent and have no empathy for what these college players are going thru. You are obviously the parent of a 2022 or 2023 player who is worried that they will not have a spot on a team and will miss out on their dream of playing in college . Not sure the answer to that is destroying the dream of some other kid. At least your kids dream is still under her control that has been taken away from these college players.

1. If your school is part of the Ivy League or Patriot League or your school does not have any graduate school programs, you now have a new competitive disadvantage against the other lacrosse programs who don't have the same restrictions.
2. Adding another season for NCAA spring sports is costly for many colleges. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ck-missed-eligibility-costly/2872197001/
3. The NCAA ruling only benefits college athletes who actually play their 5th year. That would be those athletes who are good enough to be wanted by coaches and have the funds from either the school or family to afford to stay. Everyone else on the team who plays for only 4 years is hurt with less playing time and potentially less scholarship money, since a larger roster means less playing time and less scholarship money to go around. An extreme case is the junior goalie who waited on the bench for the senior starting goalie to graduate. Now if the starting goalie decides to stay the extra year, the junior goalie loses the opportunity to play in a college game for his entire career. So not every college player benefits from the ruling.
3. Everybody who plays lacrosse lost their lacrosse season. HS players lost their entire varsity season and probably their club season too. College players lost about 2/3 of their college season. For the next 2 years, colleges will have to field enlarged rosters because they have already signed the 2020 class and accepted 2021 commits. For the 2022 and 2023 classes, there could be pressure to return the roster size back to their original size. However, current college players now have the option to stay for their 5th year for the next 4 years. Those 5th year players could essentially be taking spots that would go to a HS recruit. You aren't really growing the game because the # participants of college sports hasn't gone up. A minority of college players get to play longer and as a result there could be a net decrease of kids who get to play college sports.
4. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexre...uld-cancel-football-season/#3a2294db319d
If the NCAA fall sports season is cancelled, will the NCAA make those athletes whole like it did for spring sports? There are a lot more scholarship players and a lot more revenue from football teams than lacrosse teams. And if the fall season is cancelled, is it possible for the winter sports season to be adversely affected as well? That could be a lot money spent by universities who may no longer be able to afford it.

"Not sure the answer to that is destroying the dream of some other kid. At least your kids dream is still under her control that has been taken away from these college players."
How are you equating the college player's loss of 2/3 of a season (so now he/she gets to only play college sports for 3 2/3 seasons instead of 4) as more severe than the high school student's loss of an entire varsity season and club season? And because of the NCAA ruling, the HS student could be at a significant disadvantage in getting recruited to play college lacrosse and is at risk for missing out on playing any college lacrosse at all. The college player still gets to play college lacrosse for 91.7% of his/her expected college career, while the un-recruited HS student gets to play 0 college lacrosse. Since attending college is both an academic and athletic pursuit, the HS student potentially loses out in both his/her academic and athletic dreams. Losing 2/3 of a college lacrosse season isn't really affecting the college players academic prospects. If there is anyone whose "dream" is getting destroyed, I think it's the HS kid.

The NCAA ruling is effectively robbing Peter (the HS recruit) to pay Paul (the 5th yr college player). That's just my opinion, and it's ok for people to agree or disagree with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. If your school is part of the Ivy League or Patriot League or your school does not have any graduate school programs, you now have a new competitive disadvantage against the other lacrosse programs who don't have the same restrictions.
2. Adding another season for NCAA spring sports is costly for many colleges. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ck-missed-eligibility-costly/2872197001/
3. The NCAA ruling only benefits college athletes who actually play their 5th year. That would be those athletes who are good enough to be wanted by coaches and have the funds from either the school or family to afford to stay. Everyone else on the team who plays for only 4 years is hurt with less playing time and potentially less scholarship money, since a larger roster means less playing time and less scholarship money to go around. An extreme case is the junior goalie who waited on the bench for the senior starting goalie to graduate. Now if the starting goalie decides to stay the extra year, the junior goalie loses the opportunity to play in a college game for his entire career. So not every college player benefits from the ruling.
3. Everybody who plays lacrosse lost their lacrosse season. HS players lost their entire varsity season and probably their club season too. College players lost about 2/3 of their college season. For the next 2 years, colleges will have to field enlarged rosters because they have already signed the 2020 class and accepted 2021 commits. For the 2022 and 2023 classes, there could be pressure to return the roster size back to their original size. However, current college players now have the option to stay for their 5th year for the next 4 years. Those 5th year players could essentially be taking spots that would go to a HS recruit. You aren't really growing the game because the # participants of college sports hasn't gone up. A minority of college players get to play longer and as a result there could be a net decrease of kids who get to play college sports.
4. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexre...uld-cancel-football-season/#3a2294db319d
If the NCAA fall sports season is cancelled, will the NCAA make those athletes whole like it did for spring sports? There are a lot more scholarship players and a lot more revenue from football teams than lacrosse teams. And if the fall season is cancelled, is it possible for the winter sports season to be adversely affected as well? That could be a lot money spent by universities who may no longer be able to afford it.

"Not sure the answer to that is destroying the dream of some other kid. At least your kids dream is still under her control that has been taken away from these college players."
How are you equating the college player's loss of 2/3 of a season (so now he/she gets to only play college sports for 3 2/3 seasons instead of 4) as more severe than the high school student's loss of an entire varsity season and club season? And because of the NCAA ruling, the HS student could be at a significant disadvantage in getting recruited to play college lacrosse and is at risk for missing out on playing any college lacrosse at all. The college player still gets to play college lacrosse for 91.7% of his/her expected college career, while the un-recruited HS student gets to play 0 college lacrosse. Since attending college is both an academic and athletic pursuit, the HS student potentially loses out in both his/her academic and athletic dreams. Losing 2/3 of a college lacrosse season isn't really affecting the college players academic prospects. If there is anyone whose "dream" is getting destroyed, I think it's the HS kid.

The NCAA ruling is effectively robbing Peter (the HS recruit) to pay Paul (the 5th yr college player). That's just my opinion, and it's ok for people to agree or disagree with it.

You should of signed it, “yours Truly, An angry parent who’s kid isn’t that good”

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I completely agree. People are losing jobs, losing lives, losing everything right now. Nobody is giving anything back to them. This is hard for everyone, college athletes losing out on 1/2 season of sports should take all those things into perspective. The main goal is to get a degree, they will still get that. I suspect many kids will move on and not use that option, but this cure is worse than the problem, literally.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I completely agree. People are losing jobs, losing lives, losing everything right now. Nobody is giving anything back to them. This is hard for everyone, college athletes losing out on 1/2 season of sports should take all those things into perspective. The main goal is to get a degree, they will still get that. I suspect many kids will move on and not use that option, but this cure is worse than the problem, literally.

It’s not 1/2 a season it 2/3. People are getting unemployment without a waiting week. Unemployment with help from the federal government has jumped $600. A simultaneous package giving people and businesses money has been passed, and all this is a good thing to help out in this time of need. So why can’t these amazing students athletes get some help as well?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"1. If your school is part of the Ivy League or Patriot League or your school does not have any graduate school programs, you now have a new competitive disadvantage against the other lacrosse programs who don't have the same restrictions.

Wrong again , thats up to that conference ,they can adjust their rules and most likely will. Also that competitive disadvantage of not allowing grad school players has always existed for those conferences

They are not adding a season and yes sports ,especially womens sports are costly for many colleges ,so why not only allow sports that make money for the school if you are so concerned about the money colleges must spend.

Wrong again ,the current seniors who come back for a 5th year will not have their scholarship count toward the 12 allowed so has no impact on incoming scholorships.Your extreme case is ridiculous as the junior goalie can now take a 5th year so problem solved.

There is virtually a spot for every high school player who has any skill to play in college and more programs are opening every year. Will the spots at the most highly competitive schools get a little more competitive, maybe.

What the what? Not even worth responding to except to say the NCAA has made billions of dollars off of unpaid student athletes .

The NCAA ruling is effectively robbing Peter (the HS recruit) to pay Paul (the 5th yr college player). That's just my opinion, and it's ok for people to agree or disagree with it."

Your math is terrible and your logic is non existent. Again if your high school player is not competitive enough to get recruited because a couple of players are taking a 5th year it was most likely not the school for them and it happens all the time with players who get injured earlier in their career. I wish there was a way for the high school athletes to get their seasons back, especially the seniors .Seems to me you have never played a sport at a high level otherwise you would see giving these NCAA players back what was taken from them is the right thing to do.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"1. If your school is part of the Ivy League or Patriot League or your school does not have any graduate school programs, you now have a new competitive disadvantage against the other lacrosse programs who don't have the same restrictions.

Wrong again , thats up to that conference ,they can adjust their rules and most likely will. Also that competitive disadvantage of not allowing grad school players has always existed for those conferences

They are not adding a season and yes sports ,especially womens sports are costly for many colleges ,so why not only allow sports that make money for the school if you are so concerned about the money colleges must spend.

Wrong again ,the current seniors who come back for a 5th year will not have their scholarship count toward the 12 allowed so has no impact on incoming scholorships.Your extreme case is ridiculous as the junior goalie can now take a 5th year so problem solved.

There is virtually a spot for every high school player who has any skill to play in college and more programs are opening every year. Will the spots at the most highly competitive schools get a little more competitive, maybe.

What the what? Not even worth responding to except to say the NCAA has made billions of dollars off of unpaid student athletes .

The NCAA ruling is effectively robbing Peter (the HS recruit) to pay Paul (the 5th yr college player). That's just my opinion, and it's ok for people to agree or disagree with it."

Your math is terrible and your logic is non existent. Again if your high school player is not competitive enough to get recruited because a couple of players are taking a 5th year it was most likely not the school for them and it happens all the time with players who get injured earlier in their career. I wish there was a way for the high school athletes to get their seasons back, especially the seniors .Seems to me you have never played a sport at a high level otherwise you would see giving these NCAA players back what was taken from them is the right thing to do.

Move on its done, your everyone should suffer motto is pathetic. I assume you also are against the money the government is using to try and help with the relief fund.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big names entering the Transfer Portal

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big names entering the Transfer Portal

Although I want to know who I was surprised that Inside lax sent out a few of the names .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The NCAA should have never allowed transfer from current school if you wanted 5th year as a senior. All should have stayed as it was when season started in Jan first practice. Isn’t this fair.

Also do any of these team records stand? Or does this season just disappear like it never happened from a win/loss stand piont? Some kids were having incredible seasons..so they lose all these points, saves, take aways etc.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think more players will stay for their 5th year (or transfer to another program) than people are predicting.
If so, there will be major repercussions on playing play time and scholarships (after next year) for the college teammates behind them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think more players will stay for their 5th year (or transfer to another program) than people are predicting.
If so, there will be major repercussions on playing play time and scholarships (after next year) for the college teammates behind them.

This may not just be seniors...what about this years freshman or sophomore who now has 3 or 4 years left. A freshman played 7 games for a team/coach they are not a good fit in, or perhaps they did not get on the field but know they can somewhere else. They enter the transfer portal and they have 4 years left. This edict can have numerous ramifications

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think your wrong, The players who elect to transfer or stay at their existing school for a 5th year will have not much money left to be had and honestly the coaches who offer money to these 5th years will only be coaches of teams in position to win that year otherwise it was just a waste of resources . Further it will only be the real impact players that get offers , a coach would be foolish to offer money to a player who would only help them for one year only to lose out on a player that would help them the next 4.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think your wrong, The players who elect to transfer or stay at their existing school for a 5th year will have not much money left to be had and honestly the coaches who offer money to these 5th years will only be coaches of teams in position to win that year otherwise it was just a waste of resources . Further it will only be the real impact players that get offers , a coach would be foolish to offer money to a player who would only help them for one year only to lose out on a player that would help them the next 4.

At my daughters school the girls are being invited back with the same or larger scholarships than they had

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A 5th year player is "battle-tested" against other collegiate athletes for 4 years and is at the peak of her athletic and lacrosse abilities. She is only a 1 year commitment, which could also be a good thing.

A HS school is recruited solely based on a future projection against fellow HS students.. She will not arrive on campus for 2 years.
She realistically won't be able to contribute and help her team for 3-4 years. Of course, coach's projection of this prospect is only a guess.
She may not meet lacrosse expectations. She could become an academic risk. She could also become a 4 year headache with her teammates and coaches.
She could even drop out of the team or transfer somewhere else. Assuming she even meets their highest expectations, the coach who recruited her may no longer be around to reap the benefit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At my daughters school the girls are being invited back with the same or larger scholarships than they had

Can’t. Be larger. But nice try to lax people off. Oh, and by the way, my daughter will be a grad student playing next year. So please don’t be a donk and try and lax people off.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are a joke

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can’t. Be larger. But nice try to lax people off. Oh, and by the way, my daughter will be a grad student playing next year. So please don’t be a donk and try and lax people off.

Depends on the school and the AD. My daughters school has extra money they are able to give. Fact. Big schools=big money. Read the language in the NCAA agreement and you’ll see that there are extra monies available.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/colle...e-coaches-react-to-ncaa-d-i-council-vote
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/arti...-the-ncaa-eligibility-ruling-mean-/56237

WRONG AGAIN, THATS UP THAT CONFERENCE, THEY CAN ADJUST THEIR RULES AND MOST LIKELY WILL. ALSO THAT COMPETITIVE DISADVANTAGE OF NOT ALLOWING GRAD SCHOOL PLAYERS HAS ALWAYS EXISTED FOR THOSE CONFERENCES.

US Lacrosse Magazine
"Not all conferences will implement the eligibility relief equally, if at all.

Michael Sowers’ decision to withdraw from Princeton so he could put off graduating until next year would imply that he and other Ivy League athletes don’t have tremendous faith in the conference relaxing its rules to allow graduate students to compete in sports.

The Patriot League would also have to consider the competitive disadvantage service academies Army and Navy would encounter if other schools in the conference, like Loyola, are allowed to leverage the NCAA rule in ways they can’t. "

Inside Lacrosse
"First, the haves win out over the have-nots. I don’t see a way around this, so it’s a concern without offering a solution. College is expensive, and though the scholarship situation for returning fifth-years could help, so few are on full rides that most who want to come back to play will have to incur a significant tuition expense. Players who come from wealthier families will have a much easier time affording another year of college than those from a middle-class background. And also, it might not be wise to go into more debt in this economic climate. At a program level, ones that are more invested in the sport and better-positioned financially will be able to increase roster sizes, incur those expanded scholarship costs and maybe even be “active” on the transfer market. Will the smaller schools fall further behind?"

THEY ARE NOT ADDING A SEASON AND YES SPORTS, ESPECIALLY WOMENS SPORTS ARE COSTLY FOR MANY COLLEGES, SO WHY NOT ONLY ALLOW SPORTS THAT MAKE THE MONEY FOR THE SCHOOL IF YOU ARE SO CONCERNED ABOUT THE MONEY COLLEGES MUST SPEND.

US Lacrosse Magazine
“Being an equivalency sport and realizing there are some other sports that generate a whole lot more revenue, we certainly had enough time to look at the financial implications and the expenses involved every student-athlete came back,” Tillman (U Maryland HC) said. “We’ve gotten some of those numbers, and they’re significant.”
“Next year is going to be the bigger issue, when you have a true five-class run,” Galloway said. “You’ve got to figure out your books on those guys.”
"Though the NCAA will allow teams to surpass the scholarship threshold to accommodate returning seniors in 2021, it’s hard for coaches to imagine currently cash-strapped universities allotting additional funding for their programs. Even in trying to build a schedule for next year, Galloway said, opposing coaches have become reluctant to commit to a trip to Jacksonville because their travel budgets have been slashed."

WRONG AGAIN, THE CURRENT SENIORS WHO COME BACK FOR A 5TH YEAR WILL NOT HAVE THEIR SCHOLARSHIP COUNT TOWARD THE 12 ALLOWED SO HAS NO IMPACT ON INCOMING SCHOLORSHIPS. YOUR EXTREME CASE IS RIDICULOUS AS THE JUNIOR GOALIE CAN NOW TAKE A 5TH YEAR SO PROBLEM SOLVED.

Inside Lacrosse
"Of course, seniors are not the only ones impacted by this decision, they just are impacted the most due to the fork in the road that is college in its entirety. Freshmen across the country were told that they would not play as a freshman, with the depth that the team currently has it just isn’t in the cards. NOW THOSE SAME PLAYERS WHO WERE HIGHER ON THE DEPTH CHART ALL HAVE THE OPTION TO RETURN AND ANCHOR THE TOP OF THE DEPTH CHART, perhaps patience wears thin and the grass becomes greener on the other side."

"But what is on everyone’s mind is the longer-term consequences. Incoming freshmen will have their scholarships, and current sophomores and juniors who want to play in their fifth years will obviously want scholarship money (that will count against the 12 or 12.6). SOMEONE WON"T GET IT."

US Lacrosse Magazine
"There’s also the question of roster size. I DON'T THINK I WOULD CARRY MORE THAN 48 PLAYERS. I know that I can provide a very good experience for 48 players,” Tierney said. “One person for every locker, travel, equipment — once we start to getting into the 50s, now we’re not traveling everybody. Guys may be sharing lockers. I don’t think that’s a Division I lacrosse experience.”

THERE IS VIRTUALLY A SPOT FOR EVERY HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER WHO HAS ANY SKILL TO PLAY IN COLLEGE AND MORE PROGRAMS ARE OPENING EVERY YEAR. WILL SPOTS AT THE MOST HIGHLY COMPETITIVE SCHOOLS GET A LITTLE MORE COMPETITIVE, MAYBE.

US Lacrosse Magazine
"Galloway anticipated Jacksonville would RETAIN ABOUT HALF OF ITS EIGHT SENIORS (other coaches have estimated to be in the 20- to 30-percent range) while having room to grow with potential transfers and the incoming freshman class. Looking to avoid a logjam, however, HE SAID HE LIKELY WOULD PUT A PAUSE ON RECRUITING NEXT YEAR'S HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS. The Dolphins currently have five verbal commitments from the class of 2021, according to Inside Lacrosse’s database."

Inside Lacrosse
"In my opinion, this could and likely will have a large impact on the recruiting landscape for the next few years. Will that vary program to program, based on who intends on using their additional year of eligibility? Absolutely. "
"THIS IS WHERE I SEE THIS LEGISLATION AFFECTING, IN PARTICULAR, THE CLASSES OF 2021 (they have not signed NLIs yet; their scholarship amount discussed during the commitment period ultimately could be changed at the discretion of that coach), 2022 AND 2023. Ultimately, will a coach RECRUIT A SMALLER CLASS IN THAT TIME FRAME to balance the fact that they might now have their All-American freshman attacker or standout All-ACC goalie for longer than initially anticipated? Scholarship and roster size aside, I think it will also affect how coaches go about recruiting these classes positionally, as well; what are their needs?"
"How are YOUNGER HIGH SCHOOL AND CLUB PLAYERS feeling in regard to all of this? Honestly, I THINK MANY ARE PANICKED, BUT THIS IS ENTIRE OUT OF THEIR CONTROL. The only thing they can control is the work they put in on and off the field, and ultimately in the classroom. "

WHAT THE WHAT? NOT EVEN WORTH RESPONDING TO EXCEPT TO SAY THE NCAA HAS MADE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OFF OF UNPAID STUDENT ATHLETES.

US Lacrosse Magazine

"And while it might seem like the big-budget ACC and Big Ten schools are best positioned to retain their stars and even expand their rosters, those institutions were the ones hit hardest by the cancellation of the NCAA basketball tournament and loss of TV money. That’s not to mention what would happen if the public health crisis continues into the fall and compromises the college football season."

YOUR MATH IS TERRIBLE AND YOUR LOGIC IS NON EXISTENT. AGAIN IF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER IS NOT COMPETITIVE ENOUGH TO GET RECRUITED BECAUSE A COUPLE OF PLAYERS ARE TAKING A 5TH YEAR, IT WAS MOST LIKELY NOT THE SCHOOL FOR THEM AND IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME WITH PLAYERS WHO GET INJURED EARLIER IN THEIR CAREER. I WISH THERE WAS A WAY FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES TO GET THEIR SEASONS BACK, ESPECIALLY THE SENIORS. SEEMS TO ME YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED A SPORT AT A HIGH LEVE OTHERWISE YOU WOULD SEE GIVING THESE NCAA PLAYERS BACK WHAT TAKEN FROM THEM IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

I am not saying the college players weren't victims - they were. Every athlete at every level of the sport is a victim of this pandemic. Of course, every athlete deserves another chance to play their game if possible. All I'm saying is that the solution to help the NCAA athletes could wind up hurting a lot of high school athletes if a lot of college players take their 5th year exception; and as a result, crowd out the younger classes coming up. Even among the college athletes, the only beneficiaries are the players who are able to take advantage of the 5th year exceptions; and the college athletes who can't (and leave after 4 years) could indirectly suffer. Since the NCAA has already rendered its decision, it's time for everyone to move along and try to make the best of it

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard