Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Mackenzie Hoeg from Mattituck High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #8 ranked senior on Long Island and the Preseason 1st Team All Back of the Cage selection from Mattituck High School, Mackenzie Hoeg for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Since Mackenzie Hoeg got called up to play on Varsity as a seventh grader alongside her two sisters, she has been the catalyst for the Tuckers and a major contributor for their consistent improvement and success that includes winning three Long Island Championships and two consecutive NY State titles. Hoeg has contributed 322 points (223g, 99a) ever since her arrival and has garnered a plethora of accolades for her dynamic play on offense, defense, and at the draw circle. Mackenzie exemplifies what it is to be a team player with the team first mentality and although the season is still to be determined due to the covid-19 outbreak, Hoeg is training hard to get one more chance to cap off her career where she has been dominating for 6 years with friends and family before departing to the University of Virginia.

See below to get a closer look at the returning All American selection:

Q&A w/ Mackenzie Hoeg

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): You have played a phenomenal role in helping your Tuckers' win 3 consecutive Long Island Championships and back-to-back NY State Championships in which you earned All State & All American honors respectively for your efforts. How does it feel to be apart of the only 2 NY State Championships in the history of Mattituck and to be dubbed as one of the best players in the entire country after receiving All American honors?
Mackenzie Hoeg (MH): There is no greater feeling than finishing the season with a win. Being part of a program that every year seems to be getting stronger has been an awesome experience. A big part of our teams success comes from the dedication that Coach Maloney has shown to the program both in season and out of season. While it is an honor being recognized with some of these accolades it is not something that I pay much attention to as the most important thing to me are winning championships and that is done as a team.

BOTC: With the 2020 season being up in the air due to the covid-19 outbreak, have you had time to reflect on your amazing career?
(MH): Honestly, it is not easy when you look forward to a lacrosse season for so long and right when you start playing with your team again, it gets suspended over something we have no control over. I haven't really looked back on my career as I tend to be a person who looks forward to the next challenge.

BOTC: What have you been doing to keep yourself in shape for when they hopefully allow Lacrosse to resume and how much will that mean to you to be able to take the field one last time as a Tucker?
(MH): My two sisters both had their college season cut short and since they have been home they have been really good workout partners and they have helped me stay busy. Having been on the varsity team since 7th grade lacrosse is such a big part of my life growing up. It would mean a lot to have one last season.

BOTC: What is your most memorable moment thus far throughout your illustrious career?
(MH): My favorite memory was winning states this past season. The entire process from pre season workouts to the in season games had the dedication of the entire team. We constantly reflected on the years prior to try and make that season the best one yet and I think we definitely accomplished that. The experience of going upstate with my best friends is something I will always remember.

BOTC: What is your favorite quote or saying from Coach Maloney?
(MH): My favorite saying from Coach Maloney is to not worry about the mistake you made and focus on not making the same mistake twice.

BOTC: Why did you choose the University of Virginia and what other colleges were you considering?
(MH): I chose the University of Virginia because it offers a great balance of a traditional competitive lacrosse program and a great education. As I was being recruited I felt a really strong connection with the coaches and knew they will help me in the transition from high school to college and they will help me become the best person and lacrosse player I can be. Also, My sister Riley was a freshmen on the girls lacrosse team this year which definitely made my decision a little easier. I was considering Maryland, Boston College, and Penn State as other options.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
(MH): Yes I am very superstitious. Before every game I would do my hair the same way and I would always have a yellow gatorade and water with me.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
(MH): I normally don't listen to a specific playlist before games, I just listen to whatever playlist my teammates made which is basically any song that is upbeat.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:
  • Favorite Food? Pineapple
  • Favorite Movie? Warrior
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York Yankees
  • Favorite Athlete? Aaron Judge

See some of Mackenzie's career athletic accomplishments below: #32 Ranked Player in the US (IL), Preseason 1st Team All-BOTC (2020), US Lacrosse All American (2019), 1st Team All-State & Varsity Captain (2019), 2nd Team All-BOTC (2019), 2nd Team All Long Island (Newsday - 2019), Suffolk Times HS Athlete of the Year (2019), 3rd Team All State (2018), MVP of the 2018 State Class D Tournament, 4x UA Underclass All American, 3x All County (2017-2019), 2x All Division (2015-2016), Suffolk County Rookie of the Year (2015)

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Hunter Roman from St. Anthony's.