BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 117 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 116 117
Re: Girls High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I was referring to MR and Glenelg but for years SP beat Spalding Severn and St Mary's in the holiday torurneys but stopped playing them so it is really tough to make assumptions. BTW -scrimmages are for underclassmen so that theory is BS. I think SP is ranked 9th in country this year above most IAAM teams -oops.
You would lose that bet -the top publics play the IAAM varsity teams regularly and win about 50% of the time. Don't be mad that you have wasted your money on a prep school when you could have just paid for college and let the kid grow up normally.
There is more to the investment in these IAAM schools besides lacrosse. Getting a quality education is more important to most parents I would believe. I don't know of many people who make a stellar living just from lacrosse.

And I would bet money that most JV teams in the IAAM "A" Division could beat most Varsity public school teams. Many of these schools have 3 teams in their program and still have to make substantial cuts during tryout time. They build their programs from middle school years onward. Most girls don't even make Varsity until Junior year because there are top girls in the Junior and Senior classes ahead of them. There isn't room for them until their Junior year. The competition in the IAAM is stellar for sure.

Why NOT care?
I just want to know if we are going to see the girls we’ve played with in club over the years.
See if all of that investment is paying off!😀

What a ridiculous statement. Just because Glenelg HS and Marriotts Ridge have won some games against IAAM teams in recent years does not come close to being 50%. If 99% of public schools played an IAAM A team they would lose by 10 goals. Not to mention that when the publics play the privates the public school girls are way more into the game than the private school girls. Severna Park goes 25-1 every year but get smoked in scrimmages against IAAM teams. Century, one of the top publics, lost to Maryvale last year who is a bottom IAAM team. There is no comparison for the most part. Name me a public school that has beaten a top private in the last 5 years other than Glenelg and MR.

Severna Park has no business being ranked ahead of most IAAM teams. They never play any top IAAM teams in regular season. They don't again this year. So you admit that you were talking about MR and Glenelg yet make the comment that public schools can win 50% of their games against IAAM teams and tell people they are wasting their money by sending their kids to private schools. First off, most of us don't just send out children to private school for athletics but whatever. Your point is absurd in terms of lacrosse regardless. Even if you want to include SP in the conversation, though they haven't beaten a top level IAAM team in years and years, you have named 3 of the 100s of public high schools that play lacrosse in Maryland. Not quite 50%.

It’s good that you don’t send your kid to private school only for lacrosse. With a lot of rosters of 30+ girls most don’t get to see the field anyway.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What teams looked good at all the Maryland scrimmages this weekend?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who looked good at McDonough play day? McDonough still the best, the rest follow?

McD looked good at the play day. Competition wasn't all that great so tough to make many assumptions. There will be several good teams in the IAAM as always. Until they are beaten McD will always be the favorite. I believe for the first time in a long time there are some teams that have as much talent as McD so it should be an interesting season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who looked good at McDonough play day? McDonough still the best, the rest follow?

McD looked good at the play day. Competition wasn't all that great so tough to make many assumptions. There will be several good teams in the IAAM as always. Until they are beaten McD will always be the favorite. I believe for the first time in a long time there are some teams that have as much talent as McD so it should be an interesting season.

I agree. Quite a few IAAM teams can beat them this year to include SPSG, Spalding & NDP.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree. Quite a few IAAM teams can beat them this year to include SPSG, Spalding & NDP.

Spalding got trounced by the Stone Ridge School in a scrimmage and barely outscored Broadneck High yesterday. Let’s hold off mentioning them as possible contenders until we are a few games into the IAAM schedule.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spalding got trounced by the Stone Ridge School in a scrimmage and barely outscored Broadneck High yesterday. Let’s hold off mentioning them as possible contenders until we are a few games into the IAAM schedule.

Spalding took a hit this year with graduation on the defensive side of the field. They’re going to have to score a lot of goals to win games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is more to the investment in these IAAM schools besides lacrosse. Getting a quality education is more important to most parents I would believe. I don't know of many people who make a stellar living just from lacrosse.

And I would bet money that most JV teams in the IAAM "A" Division could beat most Varsity public school teams. Many of these schools have 3 teams in their program and still have to make substantial cuts during tryout time. They build their programs from middle school years onward. Most girls don't even make Varsity until Junior year because there are top girls in the Junior and Senior classes ahead of them. There isn't room for them until their Junior year. The competition in the IAAM is stellar for sure.

Why NOT care?
I just want to know if we are going to see the girls we’ve played with in club over the years.
See if all of that investment is paying off!😀

I am also calling BS on the IAAM JV teams beating most varsity public teams-what are you smoking MR IAAM Daddy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will be lucky to even have lacrosse this spring. Crazy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

there will probably not be any HS spring sports this year, public or private

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

there will probably not be any HS spring sports this year, public or private

On Thursday, March 12, 2020, under the guidance of the IAAM Board of Governors, the IAAM secured approval from IAAM Heads of School to amend our spring season in an effort to serve the best interest of our student-athletes as it relates to COVID-19.

Effective immediately, the IAAM will place a moratorium on spring season league competition.
The moratorium on league competition will last through Friday, April 10, 2020
The Board of Governors will reevaluate the situation on Monday, April 13, 2020
League competition would resume on Monday, April 20, 2020, providing five (5) days of practice, prior to resuming any spring season competitions.
Regarding regular season standings, post-season play and a possible extension of our spring season, the IAAM Board of Governors, will evaluate and communicate next steps on the afternoon of Monday, April 13, 2020.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does my kid get an extra year of high school too?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’m hoping that there will be local ball /tournaments by July?
This may pan out to be just in-state or the states that are over the hump (Maryland and North-no Carolinas or south or west)
Tryouts for UA are June 7(may still be problematic) but tourney is in July(good by then?)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why are some of you so upset that the NCAA did the right thing?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don’t think anyone is upset the NCAA did the right thing at all for college players. They just didn’t complete the right thing. They should have added the 20-21-22-23 classes since they will be directly effected by this extra year for all current players. (I know the argument is the NCAA has nothing to do with HS-but they do have in future recruiting classes-these grad years will be 5 classes into a 4 year program, then it clears itself when 19/20 graduate). The showed this by recruiting rules put in place a few years ago. So don’t say they have nothing to do with HS. Let’s not kid ourselves. The schools just offered 5 year potential scholarships with no red shirt or injury red shirt being used. I completely agree that the kids/schools had no control of it, but we now live in do for one, have to do for all world.

So they absolutely did right by current college player in this mess, but the HS players are affected as well. Also,I realize that a HS has a long way to go to be even looked a by a college but those that do for next few
Recruiting years are impacted. They should be given 5 year paid scholarships as well. That is fair,just like doing the extra year for current college players.

They also should have put in it that you can’t transfer schools to be eligible for extra year as a senior. This has even more effect on incoming players. This is already the Wild West in transfer portal or kids with drawing from Ivys two days after announcement.

When decisions are made people need to look at all aspects. This didn’t happen.

What we always knew-the Athlete Student has arrived, no more Student Athlete. Actions don’t lie.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why are some of you so upset that the NCAA did the right thing?

Is it the right thing, though? I don’t think so. I think it is terrible that it happened, but life sometimes stinks. Life lessons.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The right thing for who ? It was a knee donk reaction by the NCAA to make itself look good....like the hero. But in actuality, it was just another in a looooong line of examples of the NCAA making terrible decisions that usually have nothing to do with the student athletes best interests. How was this the right thing for the high school class of 2020 ? Everybody is losing something in this. This decision makes the 2020 class bear the burden of it for their entire college career. Everyone else gets to wipe the slate clean next year. Not fair or right .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just because you like it makes it the "right thing" to do.

The 22's are screwed. Like the poster above said sometimes life is hard. The rules keep changing on the 20's, 21's and 22's. They don't get to play an extra year of high school. The 20's don't get senior night or prom or anything else. But hey the college kids get an extra year because THAT is the "Right thing to do". Don't worry about the younger kids, these kids are more important.
Give me a break.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not true. 2020 HS students have it bad because they lost this season and will be playing with 5th year seniors for their entire college career. But their college selection was unaffected.
2022 and 2023 HS students may have it worse because they may find themselves unrecruited, having been squeezed out by current college players who are taking normally empty roster spots to play for their 5th year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Repeat after me. Lacrosse is a low priority non-revenue sport with no real profession.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not true. 2020 HS students have it bad because they lost this season and will be playing with 5th year seniors for their entire college career. But their college selection was unaffected.
2022 and 2023 HS students may have it worse because they may find themselves unrecruited, having been squeezed out by current college players who are taking normally empty roster spots to play for their 5th year.

Anyone have a feel for how many will take advantage of this 5th year? I would think most seniors already have post-college jobs, grad school, etc lined up. Even w covid-19. And this 5th year would still incur expenses for the player & as stated, most won’t be making a career out of lacrosse. As the parent of a 2022, I’m hoping there are still viable D1 opportunities. If not, it will completely change what college many attend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There will be plenty of opportunities. Go where the money is, academic and athletic combination is the way to go if the grades are there. Dont get caught in the names of the schools. A good package illustrates how much you are valued. In turn how much you will play. Looking at a lot of 2019s I'm sure many would have reconsider where they went.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if the school doesn’t feel like taking you back for the fifth year? I understand to get to year five you really are invested(vs those that drop out after freshman year) in playing, but what if you had a bad season start?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have any insight as to what states will actually let any summer tournaments take place? Hard to see Md, Pa and NJ allowing any to happen

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have any insight as to what states will actually let any summer tournaments take place? Hard to see Md, Pa and NJ allowing any to happen

I honestly dont see there being any summer tourneys, except maybe UA underclass games since its the best of the best competing and would be a big help to the coaches and these 2021-24 girls. Sounds like Corrigan sports is really trying to make this happen as they moved the tourney back to August. Whether parents will be allowed to watch is an unknown. Could see it played with no fans/parents, and just select amount of coaches at each game. If you think your daughter is a top player than she should be at this tryout...2021/22 team and 2023/24. Long Island and Baltimore among other regions will get close to 200 girls trying out for this team. Although 75% of the team is already chosen lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are coaches even looking at 2021's? Seems they would be focusing only on 2022's if tourneys even happen since so many camps are getting cancelled.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I honestly dont see there being any summer tourneys, except maybe UA underclass games since its the best of the best competing and would be a big help to the coaches and these 2021-24 girls. Sounds like Corrigan sports is really trying to make this happen as they moved the tourney back to August. Whether parents will be allowed to watch is an unknown. Could see it played with no fans/parents, and just select amount of coaches at each game. If you think your daughter is a top player than she should be at this tryout...2021/22 team and 2023/24. Long Island and Baltimore among other regions will get close to 200 girls trying out for this team. Although 75% of the team is already chosen lol

Except that UA is now during Lake Placid. Many coaches will be at Placid Terrible planning in my opinion

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi - do you mean the the coaches already have a lineup of girls that they want for the teams? I get that..
But what do you think has more weight - current high school or club teams? No.1 daughter doesn't go to a Baltimore private - but we are on a good club team. Do you think the girls from NDP and St Pauls will get more of a look than our kid? The coaches are from there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Anyone have any insight as to what states will actually let any summer tournaments take place? Hard to see Md, Pa and NJ allowing any to happen

Except that UA is now during Lake Placid. Many coaches will be at Placid Terrible planning in my opinion
[/quotif
if coaches are even allowed to travel by there colleges they will go where the most talent is and that's the UA games

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi - do you mean the the coaches already have a lineup of girls that they want for the teams? I get that..
But what do you think has more weight - current high school or club teams? No.1 daughter doesn't go to a Baltimore private - but we are on a good club team. Do you think the girls from NDP and St Pauls will get more of a look than our kid? The coaches are from there.

Any 2021 on the Command team last year will be back on the team this year. Most of the 2022's that were on the Highlight team last year will probably make the Command team this year if they try out

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course CSE is really trying to make UA happen. They make huge money from the tryouts alone - significantly more, I'm guessing, than they pay to run the event. Tournaments being rescheduled to August is creating schedule conflicts. Summer Genesis and Champions Cup rescheduled for the same weekend, for example. It's a mess that to some degree is not the fault of clubs and tournament operators, but ultimately I think it's the parents who will bear the brunt of the financial loss.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lake Placid was never a recruiting tournament anyway as it was during a dead period. Even if they do want to send a coach to both they can certainly do so. UA was originally scheduled the same weekend as G8 so it really doesn't make a difference.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any 2021 on the Command team last year will be back on the team this year. Most of the 2022's that were on the Highlight team last year will probably make the Command team this year if they try out

I've heard just the opposite as there has apparently been alot of pushback by club coaches and parents that they're tired of seeing the same girls on the team. Some are worthy of it and we all know some aren't. Whether it's more competitive this year remains to be seen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've heard just the opposite as there has apparently been alot of pushback by club coaches and parents that they're tired of seeing the same girls on the team. Some are worthy of it and we all know some aren't. Whether it's more competitive this year remains to be seen.

hard to argue with last years selections for both the highlight and command since they both were champs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Say again?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were some real ‘22 monsters on command last year that will move up to highlight. Hopefully we’d get more of chance this year. Also we may be looking to switch clubs and we need aspects of this tryout in case summer tryouts don’t really happen.
Does anyone think teams will hold tryouts for fall? I also realize that if you’re a certain ability or class coaches will take a private look at you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone seen on USCL (red flag right there) the "Peoples Champion"?
Its all over their social media and it a 16 person bracket full of players with small bios that you vote on for popularity reasons. I just cant believe that this is a reality right now. As if these girls of a tender social age have enough to worry about.
I will add that most of these brackets are populated with players from outside the east coast - lots of Ohio Florida and out west.
I'm kind of sorry that Epoch is sponsoring this as well. I thought they were better than that and being the team sponsor of UNC they didn't have to stoop to this level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were some real ‘22 monsters on command last year that will move up to highlight. Hopefully we’d get more of chance this year. Also we may be looking to switch clubs and we need aspects of this tryout in case summer tryouts don’t really happen.
Does anyone think teams will hold tryouts for fall? I also realize that if you’re a certain ability or class coaches will take a private look at you.

Not to be a downer, but the more I read about it, the less I believe there will be any lacrosse until the spring of 2021. So depressing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The announcement of Cal State system going online for the fall is definitely not good news for sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The announcement of Cal State system going online for the fall is definitely not good news for sports.

Unfortunately things are going to be delayed for at least another year with a potential attempt to normalcy in the winter. I hope I am wrong but from speaking to people who know ALOT more than me - fall sports like football and soccer are going to be cancelled. Some schools will open in the fall while others don't which will make school sports highly unlikely. The one caveat is this wont be everywhere. As we all know testing isn't there yet so large gatherings aren't going to occur and unlike professional sports where TV contracts and $$S will prevail there isn't going to be a central locale like Orlando or Arizona for high school sports. Without school there wont even be after school sports and if there is school - large gatherings like a football game with hundreds in the stands wont occur. Schools will start to open up in the winter but those in the know (again not me - just happen to talk to people who are) say without a cure there will be a relapse and we will be back where we are now. While we will be MUCH more prepared with masks and hopefully testing and a better response, the first thing to go will again be large gatherings. So while school will operate more smoothly with remote learning OR in some instances even staying open with factors in place such as temperature checks, face masks etc . . there will again be no LARGE gatherings after school Since I am on a Lacrosse blog - this means no spring lax without a cure. This also means no proms, school plays, etc . . I can only hope this relapse and continued "stay at home" procedure doesn't comeback next February/March but this seems inevitable. People will think all is good as things in the fall/early winter start to gain some normalcy but then things will revert. I will add that BOY, DO I HOPE THOSE SMARTER THAN ME ARE DEAD WRONG!!!

Like Reply Quote
Page 10 of 117 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 116 117
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard