George McGeeney has been named as the Chief Operating Officer for US Lacrosse, the sport’s national governing body.

McGeeney was selected after an extensive national search led by the consulting firm SRI. The COO position will lead the effective execution and success measurement of the US Lacrosse strategic plan, conduct operational analyses, explore opportunities to advance mission priorities and monitor organizational risk management while serving as a member of the organization’s senior leadership team.

George’s business experience, career success and passion for the sport are an impressive combination, and I’m thrilled that he will be joining our team to lead the implementation of our strategic plan and contribute to our ongoing operational evolution,” said US Lacrosse CEO Steve Stenersen.

McGeeney is a 1982 graduate of UMBC and was inducted into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame in 2002. As a player, he helped UMBC to the 1980 NCAA Division II championship and received the Schmeisser Award from the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association as the nation’s top defenseman in 1982.

Following his graduation from UMBC, McGeeney went on to a successful post-collegiate career on the lacrosse field. He helped the U.S. national team to world championships in 1986 in Toronto and in 1990 in Perth, Australia. He was also an all-club selection by the United States Club Lacrosse Association from 1983 to 1990.

Lacrosse has been such a meaningful part of my life,” McGeeney said. “I played on the U.S. team until I was 30 and my kids have played the sport. I’m at a stage of my life where I’ve been looking for a way to give back.”

In his 35-year professional career, McGeeney has worked in a senior leadership capacity in multiple industries, helping to facilitate organizational transformation. His career has literally taken him around the world. In various stints with Pepsico, he worked in the Czech Republic, Greece, India and Mexico. McGeeney is a former COO and CEO for several private equity backed companies and most recently, he was based in Atlanta, serving as a consultant with Gemias LLC.

I’ve spent a lot of time in management, finance, operations, business acquisition and integrating businesses,” McGeeney said. “Through those roles, I’ve gained a lot of experience in making businesses more profitable and helping to build culture. I feel extremely fortunate to join an organization that has such credibility and has had such phenomenal success in growing both the women’s and the men’s games.”

McGeeney will begin his tenure at US Lacrosse on February 17th.

US Lacrosse