Senior Spotlight Q&A with Xavier Arline from Shoreham Wading River High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #2 ranked senior on Long Island and the returning NY State Champion from Shoreham Wading River High School, Xavier Arline for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

The 5-year varsity starter who has been consistent throughout his career posting up 192 goals and dishing out 174 assists for 366 career points is enjoying being a free agent per se' as he explores opportunities to play football and lacrosse at the division 1 collegiate level. Arline has brought championships to Shoreham as the quarterback of the football team and also in lacrosse proving that he is one of the most electric and dynamic athletes on the island and in the country. His resume is extremely impressive but even though Arline has garnered so much success, he still remains humble and ambitious to capture another state championship and help his team in anyway to succeed. See below to get a closer look at the champ.

Q&A w/ Xavier Arline

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): Last season, you played such an integral role in quarterbacking your team to win the big 3 (Suffolk Class C Championship, Long Island Championship & NY State Championship) contributing 14 goals and 7 assists with one assist in OT to win the Suffolk Championship over a great undefeated Mt. Sinai team, garnering a plethora of accolades. Having helped your team to capture its 4th NY State title in program history, where would you rank this among your other championship titles?
Xavier Arline (XA): This title was so special to my guys and I. We were doubted from day one, from everyone. People were declaring other teams champions before the season even started. We decided to take a different approach, which was to just put our heads down, work in silence, and let our success talk for its self and it worked out for us. We over came the doubt and the adversity which is what made wining so much sweeter.

BOTC: The team has a significant number of key players returning starting in goal, defense, midfield and attack. What are your expectations for the team this season and what are your individual goals?
XA: Our goal is to win another State championship, just like our goal every year. The talent we have is outstanding, however, the mindset along with the experience of the guys that fill this roster is what will drive us to complete our goal. Individually, I want to make everyone around me better each and every day. I want to be the best leader [that] I can possibly be, and put my team in position to win games. I believe if I do just that, the accolades for myself will fall into place.

BOTC: From my understanding, you have de-committed from UNC to explore opportunities to play both football and lacrosse in college due to your amazing talent at both sports as evident with your career accomplishments thus far listed below. From what I have seen, Army, Navy, Air Force, UNH, Rice University, and Stony Brook to new a handful have extended you offers. What are you looking for to find the best fit for you and I would be remiss if I didn't ask you if you have any school(s) that are on your leaning towards at this time?
XA: I did. I’m very blessed for the opportunity to be recruited and go through this process. I’m looking for high academics - a place where I can have a great degree after school. I’m also looking for a place where I can accomplish many of my personal goals on the athletic fields. I’ve learned a lot about myself throughout the process which is quite special. My decision will be coming soon for sure.

BOTC: Now more than ever, a lot of players are specializing in one sport, however, many colleges coaches are proponents of multi-sport athletes. Being a highly touted recruit at both football and lacrosse, I thought it would be appropriate to ask you your opinion on what you would say the advantages of playing multiple sports are and how the two (if any) help you in each sport?
XA: I think it’s important to play multiple sports. It really has the ability to show how athletic you are through the complexity of them all. Footwork is vital in all sports so being able to maintain good footwork can only benefit you for your next event. A big thing I find is that putting the stick down is important. Playing another sport revives your love for the game and the urge to play it, and when you love to do something, you will be able to maximize your full potential.

BOTC: Is there a favorite quote or saying you have from Head Coach Mike Taylor?
XA: I don’t have many on the top of my head. Coach Taylor is very laid back which i can appreciate. He has a good balance of getting into us when we need it, and letting us play freely. Although I don’t have many quotes from him, I will say I’ve been more than lucky to play for him these past 5 years.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
XA: I’m not going to give any of my superstitions up, but I’ll say this; I am the most superstitious person out there, and to be honest, it’s quite annoying haha.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
XA: I am a rap guy for sure... sometimes the artists and songs vary based on my mood. I don’t like rock though as many of my teammates appreciate.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:

• Favorite Food? Ribs/Sushi
  • Favorite Movie? 13th Hour
  • Favorite Sports Team? San Diego Chargers
  • Favorite Athlete? Kyler Murray

List of Xavier's Career Accomplishments: 2X NYSSWA 1st Team All State (2018 & 2019), NYSSWA Player of the Year in 2019, #2 Ranked Player on Long Island by BOTC, #5 Ranked Player by Inside Lacrosse, ​1st Team All Back Of The CAGE (2019), 1st Team All Long Island (Newsday) (2019), 2nd Team All Long Island (Newsday) 2018), 5th Year Varsity Starter (8th-12th), NY State Champion (2019), 4x Lacrosse Captain
Football: 1st Team All State​ FB (2019)​, Top 100 Newsday Players of the Decade​ (2019)​, 1st Team All Long Island (Newsday) (2019), 2nd Team All Long Island (Newsday) (2018), 2x Long Island Champion, 3x Suffolk County Champion, 2x Suffolk County Leader in Rush​es​ & TD’s, Football Offers: Navy, Army, Air Force, Notre Dame, UNH, Fordham, Stony Brook, Rice University, ​2nd Team All State QB (2019)

Check back next week to meet Isabelle Smith from Westhampton Beach.