Senior Spotlight Q&A with Abby Maichin from Huntington High School

To start the New Year and the new decade, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the 21st ranked Senior on Long Island by BOTC and and the 63rd top payer in the entire world by IL from Huntington High School, Attacker Abby Maichin in our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing new senior each week.

Abby, a multi-sport standout has been the model of consistency with her on and off the field contributions. She has been the quarterback of the offense immediately as a freshman stepping up as a leader and putting up ridiculous stats and is constantly improving as evident in her play, accolades and committing to one of the top schools in the country and remains humble to a fault.

The Notre Dame signee has already left her mark at Huntington surpassing 200 career points and will undoubtedly surpass 200 career goals and will likely join the 300 club with the trajectory that she is on so she is not done yet. This is a player who set a goal in 4th grade that she would one day play for the Fighting Irish so if I was a betting man, I would most certainly bet on Abby & the Blue Devils with her at the helm. For Abby, the sky is the limit and she wants to go down with no regrets leaving everything on the field like she has been doing for years.

Q&A:

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): You have been consistent your entire career averaging nearly 70 points since you started on Varsity as a Freshman capturing your 203rd career varsity point last season. What do you contribute to your success and consistency?
Abby Maichin (AM): Huntington has always been seen as a middle of the road program. I came into my freshman varsity season knowing that, and because of this I had a huge role to play on the offensive end of the field. I had to obtain a leadership role right away. I have learned to do everything I can in my power to create success for my team and myself. Being thrown into a leadership role at an early age had developed by success and consistency and was one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. This had made me the athlete and person I am today.

BOTC: You had the opportunity to play up on Varsity as an eighth grader but chose to focus on Basketball? Can you elaborate to our audience on why you made that decision which obviously paid off?
AM: I had the opportunity to play Varsity Basketball as an 8th grader. I was still a little immature compared to the rest of my team, but I was lucky enough to have to of my other 8th grade friends to be Brough up with e and a great team and coaches to surround me and make me feel a part of the team. Things were a little shaky with the program, and I decided that going back down to JV was the best option for myself at the time.

BOTC: Is it true that in 4th Grade you wrote a letter that your dream was to play for the Fighting Irish?
AM: Yes! The prompt was, if you had three wishes from a leprechaun, what would you wish for? At the time, I was also obsessed with Harry Potter...unfortunately that wish has net come to fruition! Enclosed is a copy of it!

BOTC: How do you want to be remembered after graduating and is there anything personally you want to achieve that you haven't already?
AM: I want to be remembered as someone that always put 110% into everything that I did, and as an example if you work as as you possible can, you really can achieve anything you put your mint to. Personally, I want to leave Huntington wishing that I did nothing differently, with absolutely no regrets. So far, I am definitely on the right track!

BOTC: What is your most memorable moment thus far?
AM: My most memorable moment from my lacrosse career at Huntington was our Senior Day game, my freshman yea against Ward Melville. That was the most competitive game, to this day, that I have played in a Huntington uniform. We ended up unfortunately losing (only by ore or two) but I will never forget the feeling and the rush I had competing in that game.

BOTC: What is your favorite quote or saying from Coach Beth Vogelsang?
AM: My favorite quote from Coach V says is to "Keeping Grinding." She reminds us to keep working hard and to continue the fight. To push through any obstacle or adversity that comes our where and simply to just "keep grinding."

BOTC: Being a 5 Star Recruit, why did you want to play for the Fighting Irish and choose the University of Notre Dame?
AM: Notre Dame has been a dream of mine for my entire life. I first visited the campus for a football game in 6th grade with my family. Already having the aspirating of actually going to the school and playing lacrosse at Notre Dame, visiting the campus was all the confirmation I needed to know that Notre Dame is where I am meant to be. The coaching staff and atmosphere is like no other university. It is an extremely special place and I am so excited to see what the future has in store.

BOTC: What other schools were you considering?
AM: I was also considering Stony Brook, Michigan, JMU, Cornell, & Boston University.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
AM: My only superstition that I have is that I will NEVER eat ice cream they or night before a game. I don't really know why but I will never do it! Bad Luck!

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
AM: I always listen to a bunch of throwbacks before games to get me singing and excited for the game. One of my favorites has to be Silence You've Been Gone.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:

• Favorite Food? Buffalo Wings
  • Favorite Movie? She's the Man
  • Favorite Sports Team? Unfortunately, the New York Jets
  • Favorite Athlete? Kylie Ohmiller

More info about Abby: Had over 60 points since starting as a freshman on varsity along with adding 10 draw controls, 10 ground balls and 6 caused turnovers in 2019. A 4-year Varisty starter who garnered All-County in 2018 & 2019 and All-Division in 2017. Abby was also to the US Lacrosse's U17 Select Team and is a standout basketball star where she earned Rookie of the Year as an 8th grader, All-Conference in 2018, All-League in 2019 and MVP in 2019. Abby also made high Honor Roll in every marking period and ia a member of 5 different academic honor societies.

Check back next week as we sit down with Russell Maher.

Written By: Thomas Michaelsen
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com