Senior Spotlight Q&A with Danielle Pavinelli from Northport High School

The #2 ranked senior on Long Island and arguably one of the best players in the entire country caught up with us here at Back Of The CAGE for our Senior Spotlight series which will interview a new senior every week.

Danielle Pavinelli from Northport High School who is one of the most highly decorated lacrosse players this game has seen with accolades like All American, 2x All County, 4th Team All State, 1st Team All Back of The CAGE, 2nd Team All Long Island by Newsday and a NY State Champion to name a few but like this years team motto, Pavinelli has no limits.

The University of Florida signee is 6 year varsity starter who will likely finish as one of the top all time leading point scorers on the island and with her dominance coupled with great coaching and a solid surrounding cast, Pavinelli can help the Tigers' repeat - with her on your team, there are no limits.

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): You have been consistent throughout your entire career ever since playing varsity as a 7th grader earning Suffolk County Rookie of the Year, followed by Suffolk County Unsung Hero as an 8th grader, All Division as a freshman, All County as a sophomore and then All American last season. Do you have any individual personal goals for your senior year?
Danielle Pavinelli (DP): Going into my senior year I would like to continue to help my team succeed and do whatever I can to get us back upstate. Every game I set a different goal for myself in hopes to improve as an overall player.

BOTC: You have already accomplished a remarkable milestone and you are closing in on being one of the all-time leaders in career points in the history of Northport High School girls lacrosse. How does it feel knowing you will be listed alongside some of the greats like Shannon Gilroy and Cortney Fortunato just to a couple?
DP: I grew up watching Shannon and Courtney play with my sister Allie when they won a NY State Championship together and knew how great they were, so it is an honor for me to be mentioned with them in anyway.

BOTC: What’s it like playing for the most winningest high school girls lacrosse coach in New York State and what is your favorite saying from Coach Rose?
DP: I have played for Coach Rose either on Yellow Jackets or Northport since I have been in the 3rd grade. She has done so much for me over all these years and I can’t thank her enough for always being there and helping me achieve my goals. Coach Rose always tells us to be the best person and player we can and we owe our success to her.

BOTC: The teams motto was “unfinished business” after an early exit out of the playoffs in 2018 which resulted in unfinished business by winning the NY State Championship. What will the motto be for the 2020 season?
DP: Our team motto for this year is “No Limits.” We chose this saying because after having such an incredible year last year, we want to do it all again and even more. With hard work there’s nothing we can’t accomplish and there’s “no limits” to what we can do this year.

BOTC: Being one of the best players in the entire country, why did you choose the University of Florida?
DP: I chose the University of Florida for several reasons. It was a combination of everything I wanted. Outstanding academics, high level lacrosse, great coaches and a beautiful campus. I knew from the moment I stepped on campus that this is where I wanted to play college lacrosse.

BOTC: Will your Florida Gators beat the Georgia Bulldogs this weekend at The Swamp?
DP:Yes I have faith the Gators will win this weekend because they have a strong team this year and their defense has been great.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
DP: I have several rituals that I do before every game such as taking the last shot in warm ups and doing handshakes with my teammates.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
DP: Some of my pregame playlist is Schemin Up by Drake, Lets Get It Started by the Black Eyed Peas and Feel So Close by Calvin Harris.

Check back next week as we will be sitting down with Senior Attackman, Sal Miccio from Northport High School.