09/18/19 08:40 AM
09/18/19 08:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is an interesting one for everyone. If you ignore D1-3 and take the combination of academics/athletics (lacrosse only), how would you rank schools. For example, Yale would be #1 because it has incredible academics and is able to win championships. Does a school like Williams get ranked higher than Harvard, for example, because although Harvard can be considered better academically, the margin of difference is not as great as the margin of difference between Williams potential to play for a National championship. Rank the top 10 or 20 as this is for fun only as there are no wrong answers.

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292618
09/18/19 08:54 AM
09/18/19 08:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In terms of earnings potential after college:
Georgia Tech (MCLA)
Princeton
MIT
Yale
UPenn
Dartmouth
Babson
Duke
Cornell
Harvard
Amherst
Williams
Wesleyan
Tufts

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292640
09/18/19 12:41 PM
09/18/19 12:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Georgia Tech (MCLA)
Princeton
MIT
Yale
UPenn
Dartmouth
Babson
Duke
Cornell
Harvard
Amherst
Williams
Wesleyan
Tufts

Darn close

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292674
09/18/19 07:12 PM
09/18/19 07:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is an interesting one for everyone. If you ignore D1-3 and take the combination of academics/athletics (lacrosse only), how would you rank schools. For example, Yale would be #1 because it has incredible academics and is able to win championships. Does a school like Williams get ranked higher than Harvard, for example, because although Harvard can be considered better academically, the margin of difference is not as great as the margin of difference between Williams potential to play for a National championship. Rank the top 10 or 20 as this is for fun only as there are no wrong answers.

Extend the rankings to top 25 or even beyond and these are the schools kids should be focused on. Academics first. Lacrosse simply doesn't provide enough scholarship money to make the decision to sacrifice even a little. The D1 lacrosse experience for many is now a miserable one. Drudgery.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: TommyM] #292675
09/18/19 07:16 PM
09/18/19 07:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Am I wrong for steering my son towards a SUNY school? He has gotten looks from some bottom of the rankings D1 schools but I don't want him to have student debt and I know he is wired for a less grueling sports environment. Its not easy when your teammates are committing to D1 schools and the old man is saying "what about SUNY?"

Am I doing him a disservice?

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292682
09/18/19 09:45 PM
09/18/19 09:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Am I wrong for steering my son towards a SUNY school? He has gotten looks from some bottom of the rankings D1 schools but I don't want him to have student debt and I know he is wired for a less grueling sports environment. Its not easy when your teammates are committing to D1 schools and the old man is saying "what about SUNY?"

Am I doing him a disservice?

Go SUNY, save the money, and put it towards a graduate degree for your son. That will go farther than lax.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292684
09/19/19 01:14 AM
09/19/19 01:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Georgia Tech (MCLA)
Princeton
MIT
Yale
UPenn
Dartmouth
Babson
Duke
Cornell
Harvard
Amherst
Williams
Wesleyan
Tufts

Darn close

Me, sorry, going through this, now and the past 4 years,and i think Nescac's are overrated, not to mention way to much $$! My sons laughed at me, understood the academics but also the vibe/culture. Then slapped back that the resources are not even close than some schools like UVA and Michigan. (these big state schools offer way more than the limited scope of the nescac schools)

Would not:
put any Nescac over Michigan or UVA
Babson over Brown (wouldn't even put Babson over many Club schools)
You put Ga tech on the list, with that you need to put Clemson, South Carolina, Texas, Vandy.

You mention SUNY, if the school has what your son wants go for it, at least take a visit. But be warned, the better D2/3 and even club teams these days expect a serious commitment - and these are without some of the benefits the D1s have.

VISIT AS MANY SCHOOLS AS YOU CAN. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: TommyM] #292691
09/19/19 09:44 AM
09/19/19 09:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Georgia Tech (MCLA)
Princeton
MIT
Yale
UPenn
Dartmouth
Babson
Duke
Cornell
Harvard
Amherst
Williams
Wesleyan
Tufts

Darn close

Me, sorry, going through this, now and the past 4 years,and i think Nescac's are overrated, not to mention way to much $$! My sons laughed at me, understood the academics but also the vibe/culture. Then slapped back that the resources are not even close than some schools like UVA and Michigan. (these big state schools offer way more than the limited scope of the nescac schools)

Would not:
You put Ga tech on the list, with that you need to put Clemson, South Carolina, Texas, Vandy.

You mention SUNY, if the school has what your son wants go for it, at least take a visit. But be warned, the better D2/3 and even club teams these days expect a serious commitment - and these are without some of the benefits the D1s have.

I am not sure it is fair to compare the BIG 10 or ACC to NESCAC. NESCAC schools are not for everyone but I wouldn't dismiss them outright. You are correct that it is an expensive education but the education is excellent with a faculty to student ratio of approx. 8-1 which means that the kids are really learning and developing the ability to think beyond the next exam. I am not saying this is the case for larger schools but it is more difficult especially as many of the classes, especially in the first couple years can have upwards of 500 students and be taught by a graduate student. The NESCAC alumni network both from the school, in general, and lacrosse is exceptional.

By the way, NESCAC's are very generous with financial aide so don't look at the top line costs. Focus on the bottom line which can be significantly less than going to a Michigan or UVA. If you don't need the aide then good for your family and consider the expense a worthwhile one to give your child an excellent head start after graduation. Facts are Facts and the schools listed above have higher graduation rates, starting salaries and endowments (per capita).

By the way, BIG 10, ACC, etc. have great schools like Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA and more. In fact, if you do decide to go to a NESCAC school, you will probably be cheering for one of them on Saturday's in the Fall.

Since this is a lacrosse forum, I will state the obvious that kids dream of playing D1 because those teams are the ones on TV and get most of the press but the time/effort is a grind and not for everyone. If your son wants to play competitive lacrosse but at a more reasonable level of committment, you should consider D3.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292696
09/19/19 09:59 AM
09/19/19 09:59 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Georgia Tech (MCLA)
Princeton
MIT
Yale
UPenn
Dartmouth
Babson
Duke
Cornell
Harvard
Amherst
Williams
Wesleyan
Tufts

Darn close

Would not:

I think the list was earnings potential after college. Babson is the highest starting salary after college for a business degree. Brown, UVA, and Michigan are great. GT is the MIT of the south, and if you're an engineer then you're set for life.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: TommyM] #292703
09/19/19 10:57 AM
09/19/19 10:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

please don't get SUNY schools confused with these other schools. I speak firsthand as i trek into the city every AM regretting my decision to go to a SUNY. The SUNYs are great if you want to be an accountant, or go to a grad school... the other prestigious schools are the best path to banking, technology, trading, engineering or entrepreneurship. Plus from a location standpoint... each city is worse than the previous. Albany, Geneseo, Buffalo, Binghamton, Stony Brook.... geez, how depressing

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292704
09/19/19 10:58 AM
09/19/19 10:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Georgia Tech (MCLA)
Princeton
MIT
Yale
UPenn
Dartmouth
Babson
Duke
Cornell
Harvard
Amherst
Williams
Wesleyan
Tufts

Darn close

Would not:

I am not sure it is fair to compare the BIG 10 or ACC to NESCAC. NESCAC schools are not for everyone but I wouldn't dismiss them outright. You are correct that it is an expensive education but the education is excellent with a faculty to student ratio of approx. 8-1 which means that the kids are really learning and developing the ability to think beyond the next exam. I am not saying this is the case for larger schools but it is more difficult especially as many of the classes, especially in the first couple years can have upwards of 500 students and be taught by a graduate student. The NESCAC alumni network both from the school, in general, and lacrosse is exceptional.

By the way, NESCAC's are very generous with financial aide so don't look at the top line costs. Focus on the bottom line which can be significantly less than going to a Michigan or UVA. If you don't need the aide then good for your family and consider the expense a worthwhile one to give your child an excellent head start after graduation. Facts are Facts and the schools listed above have higher graduation rates, starting salaries and endowments (per capita).

By the way, BIG 10, ACC, etc. have great schools like Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA and more. In fact, if you do decide to go to a NESCAC school, you will probably be cheering for one of them on Saturday's in the Fall.

Since this is a lacrosse forum, I will state the obvious that kids dream of playing D1 because those teams are the ones on TV and get most of the press but the time/effort is a grind and not for everyone. If your son wants to play competitive lacrosse but at a more reasonable level of committment, you should consider D3.

Very good post and thoughtful.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292708
09/19/19 11:43 AM
09/19/19 11:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

please don't get SUNY schools confused with these other schools. I speak firsthand as i trek into the city every AM regretting my decision to go to a SUNY. The SUNYs are great if you want to be an accountant, or go to a grad school... the other prestigious schools are the best path to banking, technology, trading, engineering or entrepreneurship. Plus from a location standpoint... each city is worse than the previous. Albany, Geneseo, Buffalo, Binghamton, Stony Brook.... geez, how depressing

Well said. SUNY is fine but if lax can get you son into a great school that is well recognized, figure out a way to pay for it. There is more than one option to pay for college. Lax is a great sport but why pick your college on your chances of playing in a National Championship? That is a terrible idea. For every D1 starter, there is no less than 10 broken hearts by injury, riding the bench, too much work, mental attitude, etc. College sports is brutal, every recruited player was a star back home.....

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: TommyM] #292715
09/19/19 12:44 PM
09/19/19 12:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What about the Academies Army, Navy , Air Force, USMMA, etc.
Great Education at the right price and guaranteed job after 4 years for at least 5 years and 2 of the 5 they will even pay for your masters degree .......

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: TommyM] #292719
09/19/19 02:02 PM
09/19/19 02:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great Education at the right price and guaranteed job after 4 years for at least 5 years and 2 of the 5 they will even pay for your masters degree .......

No doubt a great education and noble to serve your country but it isn't for everyone. If people think the commitment level for D1 lacrosse is a lot, trying adding rigor of academics which are equivalent or better than Ivy education and the physical toll on the military.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax [Re: Anonymous] #292720
09/19/19 03:44 PM
09/19/19 03:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No doubt a great education and noble to serve your country but it isn't for everyone. If people think the commitment level for D1 lacrosse is a lot, trying adding rigor of academics which are equivalent or better than Ivy education and the physical toll on the military.

This route takes a special kid, Kuddos and much respect to those that have traveled that path or on it. But if you are not one of those kids it is not even a consideration. Going to one of those academies would have been my dram for my son, but wasnt on his radar.

Reply Quote
Page 430 of 433 1 2 428 429 430 431 432 433
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification