Bethpage, NY
T
TheBackOfTheCage Online content OP
Chief Admin
TheBackOfTheCage  Online Content OP
Chief Admin
T

Bethpage, NY
Use this thread to discuss topics pertaining to the 2019-2020 Men's Division I, II & III College Lacrosse season or go to 'The Locker Room' forum & click on the 'College Lacrosse' sub forum

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #292367
09/10/19 04:16 PM
09/10/19 04:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How do you think CW Post transition to D1 will go? Will they be able to draw big names? It doesn't seem to be the case on LI... St John's, Stony Brook, Hofstra, etc

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #292372
09/10/19 06:16 PM
09/10/19 06:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
How do you think CW Post transition to D1 will go? Will they be able to draw big names? It doesn't seem to be the case on LI... St John's, Stony Brook, Hofstra, etc

LIU Post now. No more CW

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #294848
10/21/19 06:13 PM
10/21/19 06:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is the level of play at the Top Club programs? I realize that they will not be beating UVA or Maryland anytime soon but how competitive are they? Could they compete with lower tier DI programs or DII or DIII programs?

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #294872
10/22/19 07:23 AM
10/22/19 07:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is the level of play at the Top Club programs? I realize that they will not be beating UVA or Maryland anytime soon but how competitive are they? Could they compete with lower tier DI programs or DII or DIII programs?

No, they could not compete with NCAA programs

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #294884
10/22/19 08:51 AM
10/22/19 08:51 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just did a little research and I disagree. Although the top club programs could not win many games vs top tier Divisions I programs the could certainly compete with many DII and DIII programs and maybe even the lower tier DI programs. Just look at history, Michigan, Marquette, Utah, UMass Lowell, Boston University, Cleveland State etc... They all jumped right into Division I and played pretty tough schedules. Those teams won some games as first year programs and played some close games vs established DI teams.

I think the Top Club programs could compete with many NCAA programs.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #294926
10/22/19 01:48 PM
10/22/19 01:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just did a little research and I disagree. Although the top club programs could not win many games vs top tier Divisions I programs the could certainly compete with many DII and DIII programs and maybe even the lower tier DI programs. Just look at history, Michigan, Marquette, Utah, UMass Lowell, Boston University, Cleveland State etc... They all jumped right into Division I and played pretty tough schedules. Those teams won some games as first year programs and played some close games vs established DI teams.

Those teams that jumped into D1 were preparing for years, just like Utah. They were actively recruiting with the premise of going D1. Most Club programs are not doing this. look at the rosters.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #294936
10/22/19 03:26 PM
10/22/19 03:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

USC won the MLCA championship last year. There are many kids on that team that could have played D3, possibly low level D1 and chose to go to a fun, big, southern school instead. It would be interesting to see them play against NCAA competition. I would bet that they would lose to all of the D1 schools, possibly giving the bottom programs a game. They would lose to the best D3 programs and likely beat the bottom half of the programs.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #294942
10/22/19 05:28 PM
10/22/19 05:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Those teams that jumped into D1 were preparing for years, just like Utah. They were actively recruiting with the premise of going D1. Most Club programs are not doing this. look at the rosters.

Not sure that that is accurate.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #294946
10/22/19 06:30 PM
10/22/19 06:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

USC won the MLCA championship last year. There are many kids on that team that could have played D3, possibly low level D1 and chose to go to a fun, big, southern school instead. It would be interesting to see them play against NCAA competition. I would bet that they would lose to all of the D1 schools, possibly giving the bottom programs a game. They would lose to the best D3 programs and likely beat the bottom half of the programs.

Georgia Tech is not bad either. Best academic school in the South. They are always in the top for MCLA.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #294971
10/23/19 07:33 AM
10/23/19 07:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Georgia Tech is not bad either. Best academic school in the South. They are always in the top for MCLA.

I'm assuming these statements come from a parent of a youngster going to play club, or already playing club. They would not beat ANY NCAA programs, I have seen the "top" club teams, they would lose handily to the top HS teams. They lack good FOGO and goalie play, have limited success with defensive slides and many players lack the stick skills that come with two to three hour daily practices. but keep this facade going, it's fun.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: Anonymous] #295034
10/23/19 02:35 PM
10/23/19 02:35 PM
C
cltlax Online content
Back of THE CAGE
cltlax  Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
C

I'm assuming these statements come from a parent of a youngster going to play club, or already playing club. They would not beat ANY NCAA programs, I have seen the "top" club teams, they would lose handily to the top HS teams. They lack good FOGO and goalie play, have limited success with defensive slides and many players lack the stick skills that come with two to three hour daily practices. but keep this facade going, it's fun.

Plus, I'm not sure I would call GT the "Best academic school in the South"

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: cltlax] #295073
10/24/19 07:33 AM
10/24/19 07:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by cltlax

Watched some video of some of the Top Club teams play (have not watched any games in person)..... I do not think the top club teams could compete with any DI teams however they could certainly compete with the lower tier DII and DIII teams.

It looks like the programs that made the jump to DI were able to bring in a recruiting class or two as well as some transfers which enabled them to compete right away. Not the same thing as taking an existing club team and throwing them into DI.

My son may consider playing club (if he is not recruited to a school he likes) and the school he selects does not have a varsity team or if he is not a strong enough athlete / player to compete at the school chooses to attend. I don't think he will select a school just because they recruit him and offer him a spot. I think the Club programs offer a great opportunity for many especially for the kids who want to go to a certain type of school. If your son is a Stud probably not the best option but for many solid players it could be a great experience.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: cltlax] #295103
10/24/19 11:36 AM
10/24/19 11:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by cltlax

Ga Tech, Vandy, Davidson, Wake the best academic schools in the south without men's lacrosse.

Look at USC's roster. It is loaded with kids from very good lacrosse high schools. I think they lose badly to all of D1, scare a few good D3s and beat the bottom half of D3.

The top 5 HS teams typically have 10+ D1 commits. They would beat all of the top college club teams, scare the top of D3 and beat the bottom of D3.

Reply Quote
Re: 2019-2020 Men's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season [Re: TheBackOfTheCage] #295120
10/24/19 02:06 PM
10/24/19 02:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just watched USC vs. Cal highlights on youtube - looks like mediocre high school lax.

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification