BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 159 of 264 1 2 157 158 159 160 161 263 264
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
New to this, and my son plays football. How does it affect their playing time in the Spring if they don't play fall ball with their school?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No effect. Spring coach can't coach fall team. Misses out on some reps, but I'm sure he'll be fine. Don't let lax monsters tell you otherwise -- assuming you are talking about Long island public schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
New to this, and my son plays football. How does it affect their playing time in the Spring if they don't play fall ball with their school?

According to some playing football might help your son. I can think of a lot of players from Garden City, Half Hollow Hills West, Ward Melville, St. Anthony's, SWR, Massapequa, Syosset (maybe not this year) etc.. that played both sports and I do not believe the coaches of either sport care. If your son want to play football encourage him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

According to some playing football might help your son. I can think of a lot of players from Garden City, Half Hollow Hills West, Ward Melville, St. Anthony's, SWR, Massapequa, Syosset (maybe not this year) etc.. that played both sports and I do not believe the coaches of either sport care. If your son want to play football encourage him.

Cool, thanks. I'm waiting to approach the coach at the meeting they have set up in September.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a list of who made the US U15/17 teams out there?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a few topics i want to discuss

College coaches on the hot seat and the impact the carousel of coaches jumping has.

I think it is great the change from just a few years ago having the colleges wait until Junior year to recruit a player. Yes, a student should love the school so if the coach changes you still want to be at the school but the reality is, Lets say a school like Notre Dame. Byrne leaving for Havard is huge. Lets say a Duke/UVA/Yale recruit who didnt like Corrigan but loved Jerry would have most definitely considered Havard. Some will say the coaches just flip flopped, and I hear you but will agree to disagree.

NY schools

What has happened in Binghampton. Was the coach lucky in his first year with some really good transfers. Assit Coach jumping there is troubling. Being a top notch school why the heck hasnt NYS promoted this program. Am I the only one seeing this as a gold mine for some coach.

Canisius - does this school not appeal to LI kids.

Bonnies - welcome to the party

Colgate - could see a resurgence here, but take a cerytain student. ya really gotta like being away from everything

Cornell - Mighty mite. clear case where school means more than coach. Coach is good but a bit nepolianic rubbing poeple the wrong way.

Hobart - Hey guys put a few top contenders on your schedule -

'Cuse, losing a lot of recruits the past year, will there be a rebound, are some hot shot young players look up north. Love that staff but could things be heating up. Has Duke taken the kids you thought would have gone to 'Cuse. (Nope)

Siena - I see good things here

Albany - This is the perfect example of being a perfect fit both school and coach wise. Look at the coach and school if you fit this mold its perfect for you

Marist - Shocked it isnt any better nationally in lax. this is an amazing Campus.

Army - Thank you for your service!! Takes a special kid. unfortunately i dont see that in a few of their recruits and just have top shake my head.

Hofstra St Johns Manhattan and Wagner. I like McCutcheon from Momnmouth for Wagner. I am shocked why St Johns and Manhattan still havnt brought in real big name guys. St Johns, Manhattan and Hofstra do not have football but have hoops Lax could and should be a bigger focus. New Ad at Manhattan needs to pull the trigger and start the search. For a coach with a losing record should he

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

College coaches on the hot seat and the impact the carousel of coaches jumping has.

I think it is great the change from just a few years ago having the colleges wait until Junior year to recruit a player. Yes, a student should love the school so if the coach changes you still want to be at the school but the reality is, Lets say a school like Notre Dame. Byrne leaving for Havard is huge. Lets say a Duke/UVA/Yale recruit who didnt like Corrigan but loved Jerry would have most definitely considered Havard. Some will say the coaches just flip flopped, and I hear you but will agree to disagree.

NY schools

What has happened in Binghampton. Was the coach lucky in his first year with some really good transfers. Assit Coach jumping there is troubling. Being a top notch school why the heck hasnt NYS promoted this program. Am I the only one seeing this as a gold mine for some coach.

Colgate - could see a resurgence here, but take a cerytain student. ya really gotta like being away from everything

Cornell - Mighty mite. clear case where school means more than coach. Coach is good but a bit nepolianic rubbing poeple the wrong way.

'Cuse, losing a lot of recruits the past year, will there be a rebound, are some hot shot young players look up north. Love that staff but could things be heating up. Has Duke taken the kids you thought would have gone to 'Cuse. (Nope)

Albany - This is the perfect example of being a perfect fit both school and coach wise. Look at the coach and school if you fit this mold its perfect for you

Marist - Shocked it isnt any better nationally in lax. this is an amazing Campus.

Army - Thank you for your service!! Takes a special kid. unfortunately i dont see that in a few of their recruits and just have top shake my head.

Hofstra St Johns Manhattan and Wagner. I like McCutcheon from Momnmouth for Wagner. I am shocked why St Johns and Manhattan still havnt brought in real big name guys. St Johns, Manhattan and Hofstra do not have football but have hoops Lax could and should be a bigger focus. New Ad at Manhattan needs to pull the trigger and start the search. For a coach with a losing record should he

You don't see top recruits at Army, did you watch them last year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

You have no clue about D1 Lax

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

Manhattan last five years under new coach.
2015 1-14
2016 3-12
2017 3-11
2018 4-10
2019 6-8

Given location and how the facilities are I think the Coach is doing a good job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I assume you are just trying to stir the pot.......Army has excellent recruits. Talent from Chaminade and St. Anthony's is legit.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

So much to share, but forgot Stony Brook. Please enlighten us about that team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

Not sure what happened there. Not exactly sure what was written but to the effect. They (Manhattan) should - pull the trigger like Stony Brook - Thank God they (Stony Brook) got rid of their coach.

Again, wish Manhattan would look for a better coach not a fan of the man and their record. I think Manhattan coach needs to be an Assit under a real coach and learn how to be a better coach and human being. Assistance are very good and I hope they get a better man at the helm for them to succeed in their future.

I love going to a game at Hofstra or Stony Brook! Those two stadiums should house and be the center of all Nassau and Suffolk HS lax games. I hope the new Stony Brook coach promotes it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Buckle up for the rankings of the amazing 2021s.......some of whom should be 2019s!!! Lame.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Buckle up for the rankings of the amazing 2021s.......some of whom should be 2019s!!! Lame.....

The only rankings that count are college rankings, all stuff before is who you know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

At most big schools the lacrosse team is the academic boost for the athletic program. Do you think the vast majority of players on Hofstra/SJU/Manhattan/Syracuse basketball teams have the grades to get in without their athletic prowess? This is why lacrosse players must have a GPA/SAT score equal to or slightly below the average for the University. The school uses these players for their brains. Lacrosse doesn't make any money for the school. it's a drain on the Athletic department funds, but the players provide a boost to the overall GPA of the athletic department, hence their value.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

At most big schools the lacrosse team is the academic boost for the athletic program. Do you think the vast majority of players on Hofstra/SJU/Manhattan/Syracuse basketball teams have the grades to get in without their athletic prowess? This is why lacrosse players must have a GPA/SAT score equal to or slightly below the average for the University. The school uses these players for their brains. Lacrosse doesn't make any money for the school. it's a drain on the Athletic department funds, but the players provide a boost to the overall GPA of the athletic department, hence their value.

gibberish

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

gibberish

Regarding prior text about lacrosse players being an academic boost for the school.. where are you getting these facts from? You are correct about the major sports and many athletes not having the grades to get in without athletics and you are right that lacrosse doesn't make money for the school but your argument that lacrosse players are a boost to the overall GPA is tangentially related only because the coaches push their student athletes to get higher GPA's. The reason these schools have lacrosse are for prestige, reputation and history. Other than the kids actually love playing lacrosse the reason they work so hard at the sport is to get into a college he/she may not have been able to get into so the GPA theory doesn't really hold water.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

Obviously someone who hasn't had any conversations with real college coaches. Some programs do hold their recruits to the same standards, but most if not all competitive programs will recruit the kids with the better grades to offset their studs with poor grades. I know of a kid who committed in 8th grade, but the school used academics as a way to keep him from the program because they recruited a stud who is better. That kid is now going to a really good school, but not a top contender like he was originally committed too.

Most of the coaches I spoke to are interested in my kid because he can play AND has good grades. They all have goals of academic averages for their sport, so they will use kids with better averages to help boost the average. But all coaches want to win, and the ones that are recruiting your kids will bring your kid in if they can help them win, not just to improve their average.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

gibberish

Regarding prior text about lacrosse players being an academic boost for the school.. where are you getting these facts from? You are correct about the major sports and many athletes not having the grades to get in without athletics and you are right that lacrosse doesn't make money for the school but your argument that lacrosse players are a boost to the overall GPA is tangentially related only because the coaches push their student athletes to get higher GPA's. The reason these schools have lacrosse are for prestige, reputation and history. Other than the kids actually love playing lacrosse the reason they work so hard at the sport is to get into a college he/she may not have been able to get into so the GPA theory doesn't really hold water.

So in retrospect, lacrosse is a financial drain on institutions. Athletes can’t get in without the GPA of average student. Schools want lacrosse for prestige, reputation and history. A sport that gets less time on TV than women’s softball offers reputation? Prestige? History? You realize half the country doesn’t know a thing about lacrosse. So what you are saying is if there is a kid with bad grades and sub par SAT’s, but he’s a lacrosse phenomenon PSU, Michigan or UNC or UVA will take them? Hardly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
***** "So in retrospect, lacrosse is a financial drain on institutions. Athletes can’t get in without the GPA of average student. Schools want lacrosse for prestige, reputation and history. A sport that gets less time on TV than women’s softball offers reputation? Prestige? History? You realize half the country doesn’t know a thing about lacrosse. So what you are saying is if there is a kid with bad grades and sub par SAT’s, but he’s a lacrosse phenomenon PSU, Michigan or UNC or UVA will take them? Hardly."******

---------

Nobody said "bad grades" whatever that means. But yes, PSU, Michigan, UNC, UVA as well as Duke, Notre Dame, Harvard, Yale Princeton, Cornell, Penn, Hopkins, Georgetown etc... will all admit student athletes who fall significantly below the norm for non-athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
18 year old junior who should be in college......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
18 year old junior who should be in college......

worry about your own kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
***** "So in retrospect, lacrosse is a financial drain on institutions. Athletes can’t get in without the GPA of average student. Schools want lacrosse for prestige, reputation and history. A sport that gets less time on TV than women’s softball offers reputation? Prestige? History? You realize half the country doesn’t know a thing about lacrosse. So what you are saying is if there is a kid with bad grades and sub par SAT’s, but he’s a lacrosse phenomenon PSU, Michigan or UNC or UVA will take them? Hardly."******

---------

Nobody said "bad grades" whatever that means. But yes, PSU, Michigan, UNC, UVA as well as Duke, Notre Dame, Harvard, Yale Princeton, Cornell, Penn, Hopkins, Georgetown etc... will all admit student athletes who fall significantly below the norm for non-athletes.

Agreed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This “midnight madness” lacrosse event is the densest thing I’ve ever heard of. Neither the players or the parents want to be playing/watching lax in the middle of the night. They should run the event 8-12. At the conclusion, coaches can talk to players. Who came up with this idea?....Obviously a Lax Bro, #tyxanders

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

---------

The great schools you just mention will make exceptions for great athletes but even those athletes grades need to be within a certain range. There grades can't be significantly below the average student. I don't care how many goals he makes, he is not getting admitted to Hopkins with a ACT score of a 25.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty should do his home work promoting a kid that has cheated the system and gets number one ranking, if he was playing on grade he would average at best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kid was a stud when he was in grade school and when he played on grade...assuming 20 is his true class...not sure if he was a double hold back or not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty should do his home work promoting a kid that has cheated the system and gets number one ranking, if he was playing on grade he would average at best.

you are a jealous stunad kid is a stud yours probably is not

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you are a jealous stunad kid is a stud yours probably is not

Who cares? Does anyone know where Rabil was ranked at this point in his career. It means nothing. Get your kid in front of the schools your kid wants to go.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I once again find it funny how there is nothing wrong with reclassifying but no one will admit to doing it. I am pretty sure my kid would be a stud if he played against 9th graders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

and will be able to go into bars as a freshman

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

---------

If you don't understand what "bad grades" means you fall significantly below the norm for intelligence

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I once again find it funny how there is nothing wrong with reclassifying but no one will admit to doing it. I am pretty sure my kid would be a stud if he played against 9th graders.

My kid has been playing up from day one. We could have reclassed him so he would no longer be one of the younger kids, but academically it made no sense. Why, so he could be committing to a top 5 school instead of a top 15? I just don't get it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My kid has been playing up from day one. We could have reclassed him so he would no longer be one of the younger kids, but academically it made no sense. Why, so he could be committing to a top 5 school instead of a top 15? I just don't get it.

Called smoke and mirrors. Eventually it catches up. Some parents just get so obsessed with lacrosse, they are willing to do just about anything to get (their kid) ranked. Bizarre to me!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope, you are wrong. He’s not a double holdback and he has always played with the older team. Average at best? Come watch one of his high school games next spring and you will see his not “average”. Kids a stud.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son was on the young side for his grade. He gained 25 lbs and grew 2” by the end of his first year at college, bigger, stronger & faster. We didn’t keep him back but wonder what that would’ve done for his confidence if he played with those attributes as a senior in high school? Holding a kid back definitely can make a difference and give one a better chance of being accepted into A more desirable school. Why are Long Island teams so dominant in the early years and then less so in the high school years, Has anyone noticed the correlation between that and the places that reclassify? Regardless whether you like it or not it makes a difference and Most likely benefits the majority of those that do it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope, you are wrong. He’s not a double holdback and he has always played with the older team. Average at best? Come watch one of his high school games next spring and you will see his not “average”. Kids a stud.

He’s a great player, but let’s be honest, as an ‘01 he plays on age with Crush. Not eligible to play New York State public as he’ll be 19 as a senior.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please tell us his birthday, the answer you won't.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If one is playing within the rules set forth, it’s not cheating. Perhaps unethical, but certainly not cheating. And very very rarely does anyone catch up and pass the holdback. People have been writing this drivel about passing up the holdbacks, but there is no factual instances documented. It’s simply not true.

Like Reply Quote
Page 159 of 264 1 2 157 158 159 160 161 263 264
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard