BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Girls 2023-9th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The team isn't chosen by the coaches. UA/CSE has reps that overlook the process. Usually anywhere from 8-12 evaluators grade the girls after each scrimmage/game. Girls are broken into teams and they play. All the evaluators go into a room to go over the grades and come back and announce the top 40 or so for the call back game. I am not a fool, there is always some politics involved and YJ coach will have power to choose the bottom few spots.
Levy who is with legacy, was the head coach last summer for Command and the team was basically all YJ and TG. If the girl dominates and shows she is a top 10 player at the tryout, she will make the team.

You must've read that off their website. The reality is whoever that year's Coach is for that age group basically picks their favorites from their team. YJ selectors all pick their girls, regardless of what happens at tryouts. You couldn't find a more biased 'open' tryout. Save your money, look at the top 6-8 girls on both YJ and TG teams and combine them - there's your UAAA 2023 team. They should bring evaluators in from different regions to eliminate the obvious favoritism.

Happened in the South tryouts last year as well.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
. They should bring evaluators in from different regions to eliminate the obvious favoritism.

And they would get it wrong too, you would need a week of tryouts to truly see who's who..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
. They should bring evaluators in from different regions to eliminate the obvious favoritism.

And they would get it wrong too, you would need a week of tryouts to truly see who's who..

Not true at all. A tryout should be for those girls who excel under the added pressure of being evaluated and who rise to the occasion. If they have a bad showing, that’s more fuel for the fire to do better next year. Most of these ‘elite’ teams are carried by those 2-3 truly exceptional players. The others are interchangeable and shouldn’t be favored over others at tryouts b/c they ride a certain team’s bench.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So you think reputation and past play should be totally eliminated from the selection?? This team is the best of the best and they want to win. Do you want the girl who is a stand out HS player, and travel player the past couple years and cut her because she had an off day? The facts are this; the top 12-15 spots are slotted; the 23's who made it last year, and a few other spots taken by the girls we have seen stand out in this group for the past years. There are 7-10 spots open for this girls who can go down there and dominate and show that they can help the team win it all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The team isn't chosen by the coaches. UA/CSE has reps that overlook the process. Usually anywhere from 8-12 evaluators grade the girls after each scrimmage/game. Girls are broken into teams and they play. All the evaluators go into a room to go over the grades and come back and announce the top 40 or so for the call back game. I am not a fool, there is always some politics involved and YJ coach will have power to choose the bottom few spots.
Levy who is with legacy, was the head coach last summer for Command and the team was basically all YJ and TG. If the girl dominates and shows she is a top 10 player at the tryout, she will make the team.

You must've read that off their website. The reality is whoever that year's Coach is for that age group basically picks their favorites from their team. YJ selectors all pick their girls, regardless of what happens at tryouts. You couldn't find a more biased 'open' tryout. Save your money, look at the top 6-8 girls on both YJ and TG teams and combine them - there's your UAAA 2023 team. They should bring evaluators in from different regions to eliminate the obvious favoritism.[/quote]

Even if your theory is correct; the tryout is 150-200 of the best girls on long island. Split into 6 or so teams and full field games run for hours... it's a great event for a girl to show she belongs even if she doesnt make the team. Most obviously dont make the team, and thats okay. Go into this with the mindset of trying to see how your daughter plays with and against the best in her age group in the mecca of lacrosse. I think confidence can be gained by playing well, and not be lost by not being one of the selected 23. Just a thought.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just saw that UA tryout dates are starting to be announced, and the tournament date has been announced for early August, which is great news!! Just one thing I thought was odd. How is Thorn aloud to be a coach, and be involved in picking the team when her daughter will be most likely trying ou? Isn't that an obvious conflict of interest?

You want things to be fair with zero nepotism?!?!?! What world are you living in?
Look at that list of coaches. Thorn isn't the only one with a conflict of interest

the team isnt chosen by the coaches. UA/CSE has reps there that overlook the process. Usually anywhere from 8-12 evaluators that grades the girls after each scrimmage/game. Girls are broken into teams and let just let them play All the evaluators go into a room to go over the grades and come back and announce the top 40 or so for the call back game. I am not a fool, there is always some politics involved and YJ coach will have power to choose the bottom few spots.
Levy who is legacy was the head coach last summer for Command and the team was basically all YJ and TG. If the girl dominates and shows she is a top 10 player at the tryout, she will make the team.

I heard UA is still on. does anyone have any details on Long Island tryout? When and where? How many kids they expect to tryout this year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just saw that UA tryout dates are starting to be announced, and the tournament date has been announced for early August, which is great news!! Just one thing I thought was odd. How is Thorn aloud to be a coach, and be involved in picking the team when her daughter will be most likely trying ou? Isn't that an obvious conflict of interest?

You want things to be fair with zero nepotism?!?!?! What world are you living in?
Look at that list of coaches. Thorn isn't the only one with a conflict of interest

the team isnt chosen by the coaches. UA/CSE has reps there that overlook the process. Usually anywhere from 8-12 evaluators that grades the girls after each scrimmage/game. Girls are broken into teams and let just let them play All the evaluators go into a room to go over the grades and come back and announce the top 40 or so for the call back game. I am not a fool, there is always some politics involved and YJ coach will have power to choose the bottom few spots.
Levy who is legacy was the head coach last summer for Command and the team was basically all YJ and TG. If the girl dominates and shows she is a top 10 player at the tryout, she will make the team.

I heard UA is still on. does anyone have any details on Long Island tryout? When and where? How many kids they expect to tryout this year?

Other areas have announced dates, ours will most likely be late July

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Other areas have announced dates, ours will most likely be late July

There was a whisper that virtual tryout via highlight tapes could be part of selection process for some teams. I sure hope UA doest go that route. Doesn’t sound logical since some girls improved so much since last year or since the film they have on themselves. A team like UA needs a tryout to see what girls rise to the occasion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anybody who knows who this event truky wrks knows that the rosters are pre-determined talk to your club owner before you waster your time money and let daughter get upset

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anybody who knows who this event truky wrks knows that the rosters are pre-determined talk to your club owner before you waster your time money and let daughter get upset

UA set for August 6-9th
Biggest and most important tourney of summer.
Sigh your daughter up and roll the dice that she steps up and has an awesome tryout. Going to take great tryout to make this LI team. Good luck

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

stop stirring the pot ...thorn doesn't have a kid on the team...seriously she doesn't have a kid people are ridiculous

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

stop stirring the pot ...thorn doesn't have a kid on the team...seriously she doesn't have a kid people are ridiculous

When the poster said that thorn isn't the only one with a conflicting interest, seems like it is a reference to someone else

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA will NOT happen

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA will NOT happen

UA will NOT happen

UA will happen and if you are talking about Jesters coach. I don’t care who is coaching, there will be 8-10 girls from Thorn and zero from Jesters if it’s legit which I think it is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA will NOT happen

UA will NOT happen

UA will happen and if you are talking about Jesters coach. I don’t care who is coaching, there will be 8-10 girls from Thorn and zero from Jesters if it’s legit which I think it is.

Typically 4-5 spots open for legit opportunities. The rest of the players are already decided well prior to tryouts. Talk to the Mt Sinai coach who runs the show every year. All the other coaches fall in line and listen to him.

Guaranteed at least two Jesters will make the team this year with the Jesters owner/coach coaching his own daughters age group. And why would Thorn deserve 8-10 players? Is that because CR is in charge of the NE regions UA. Very good players in this age group across all Long Island teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA will NOT happen

Can you say why you feel so strongly about this?
It’s being put in by Corrigan who are super-anxious to get back to play. And it’s being held in Maryland not Ny or NJ. Not to say that MD hasn’t been conservative with stages. I just want to know if you know something no o e else does.
Also With the UA you can register by walking up, so you dont need to be invested until the last moment. Unlike most others.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When the poster said that thorn isn't the only one with a conflicting interest, seems like it is a reference to someone else

your right...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA will NOT happen

UA will NOT happen

Typically 4-5 spots open for legit opportunities. The rest of the players are already decided well prior to tryouts. Talk to the Mt Sinai coach who runs the show every year. All the other coaches fall in line and listen to him.

Guaranteed at least two Jesters will make the team this year with the Jesters owner/coach coaching his own daughters age group. And why would Thorn deserve 8-10 players? Is that because CR is in charge of the NE regions UA. Very good players in this age group across all Long Island teams.

They should just let the coaches of the travel teams all pick the team without a tryout. The top teams getting more than others. Kind of like All-County awards. Girls who were on the team last year get a bye, and YJ and TG get the most picks, the other clubs like Jesters and Legacy get a couple.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe 2 Jester girls do make the team. I don’t know that team well but know they are 2nd tier after Thorn, TG and even Legacy.
8-10 girls on Thorn because 4 or 5 were on it last year and I am sure there are 4-5 more that deserve it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Maybe 2 Jester girls do make the team. I don’t know that team well but know they are 2nd tier after Thorn, TG and even Legacy.
8-10 girls on Thorn because 4 or 5 were on it last year and I am sure there are 4-5 more that deserve it.

8-10 girls from Thorn deserve to make the team, makes you wonder how many Top Guns deserve to make the team being that they were the best team in the age group last year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Maybe 2 Jester girls do make the team. I don’t know that team well but know they are 2nd tier after Thorn, TG and even Legacy.

8-10 girls from Thorn deserve to make the team, makes you wonder how many Top Guns deserve to make the team being that they were the best team in the age group last year.

Do the mommy and daddy coaches get to pick their mediocre daughters?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at the coaches and you will know who will be on teams.

If you look at coaches you will see who will make team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Last few years I don’t think many would argue TG was the best team on island, but I am pretty sure it’s safe to say that Thorn is now the best.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Last few years I don’t think many would argue TG was the best team on island, but I am pretty sure it’s safe to say that Thorn is now the best.

Lol!! Gotta play games before you crown yourself!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let them play a game first before we start crowning anybody.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let them play a game first before we start crowning anybody.

Funny how YJ had to combine teams from 2 other clubs to even be in the conversation with TG! Ironically most are past the "whos better" argument and focused on recruiting. The ones worried about who wins a tournament are most likely the benchwarmers! It was fun when they are 10, they are 15 now! Best to make sure your daughter is good enough to start, the rest will take care of itself!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
8-10 is laughable. Be happy to get 5-6.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

90% of the team will be YJ. The rest will be the ones who really deserve. been there done that for 6 years! If your not a YJ or the #1,2 on your team, save your money.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

90% of the team will be YJ. The rest will be the ones who really deserve. been there done that for 6 years! If your not a YJ or the #1,2 on your team, save your money.

Clearly you’re not familiar with the train wreck of the 2023 YJs🤪

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anyone who knows about this tourney also knows that it is a sure fire way of being seen by college coaches whether you make the team or not...stack your kid up against the best the island has to offer and see what happens...don't console yourself with the politics being the focus...it's how your kid plays plain and simple...and there will be coaches there in droves...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Clearly you don't. The point is that it doesn't matter how deserving,CR controls 90% of the list. I know many who went the first year or two and then never bothered to go back bc you don't really have a chance unless your on YJ or top 1-2 on your team. Even the tryout isn't fairly done with playing time unequal and only certain girls getting field time. But if you believe this helps your daughter, go ahead and contribute to the fund.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Clearly you don't. The point is that it doesn't matter how deserving,CR controls 90% of the list. I know many who went the first year or two and then never bothered to go back bc you don't really have a chance unless your on YJ or top 1-2 on your team. Even the tryout isn't fairly done with playing time unequal and only certain girls getting field time. But if you believe this helps your daughter, go ahead and contribute to the fund.

I believe last year there were two YJs, two TGs, 2 Igloo, 1 Legacy when these girls were in 8th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]8-10 is laughable. Be happy to get 5-6.

I believe last year there were two YJs, two TGs, 2 Igloo, 1 Legacy when these girls were in 8th grade. [m

Actually it was 3 Legacy as 1 TG girl was unable to play. TG had 1 girl and was the top team last summer and YJ who lost to Heroes B team had 2 girls of course you know CR controls the roster that’s the only way it would make sense

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I believe last year there were two YJs, two TGs, 2 Igloo, 1 Legacy when these girls were in 8th grade. [m

Actually it was 3 Legacy as 1 TG girl was unable to play. TG had 1 girl and was the top team last summer and YJ who lost to Heroes B team had 2 girls of course you know CR controls the roster that’s the only way it would make sense

There were two YJ and two Legacy (one last minute due to injured TG player I believe)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There were two YJ and two Legacy (one last minute due to injured TG player I believe)

Wasn’t the Legacy coach one of the UA coaches? Will be interesting to see how if his girls make the team this year? The team did very well last year!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And that is with Levy coaching last year. So with all this talk about CR controlling 90% of it....that’s garbage. Plus for the LI region, what clubs do you expect to have players come from? Obviously YJ and TG are likely to have the most players, followed by the other clubs with 1 or 2 from each of them. With 9 of the top 11 in the BOTC rankings on LI playing for YJ- it is logical that a strong number make the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Correct
Original roster had 2 YJ.... 2 TG and 2 Igloo (now they are on YJ). One TG girl got hurt and she was replaced by a Legacy girl.
That’s all I believe from 23 class. Might have been 2nd alternate from legacy
So figure unless 1 of those girls hurt that’s 7 or 8 spots taken. Then 8 more will go to TG/YJ. 4-5 to the 24 class. And a few more spots to whoever has a sick tryout. If you have a dominant tryout you will make the team. Don’t care what program you are at.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And that is with Levy coaching last year. So with all this talk about CR controlling 90% of it....that’s garbage. Plus for the LI region, what clubs do you expect to have players come from? Obviously YJ and TG are likely to have the most players, followed by the other clubs with 1 or 2 from each of them. With 9 of the top 11 in the BOTC rankings on LI playing for YJ- it is logical that a strong number make the team.

Who controls the BOTC rankings? Who chooses the girls?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Aren't we a little cart-before-the-horse? UA doesn't even have a tryout date yet for LI.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]8-10 is laughable. Be happy to get 5-6.

Correct
Original roster had 2 YJ.... 2 TG and 2 Igloo (now they are on YJ). One TG girl got hurt and she was replaced by a Legacy girl.
That’s all I believe from 23 class. Might have been 2nd alternate from legacy
So figure unless 1 of those girls hurt that’s 7 or 8 spots taken. Then 8 more will go to TG/YJ. 4-5 to the 24 class. And a few more spots to whoever has a sick tryout. If you have a dominant tryout you will make the team. Don’t care what program you are at.

I believe the Legacy goalie also made it

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard