BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Re: Boys 2024-7th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pick a Non AAA Team That has a good recruiting schedule. Not one of top 3 nd teams(or 2nd teams), they are disasters. Look at Sites what older teams did this year to get idea
you have
Outlaws
Igloo
Rebels
True Blue- Not Best recruiting but good team
Good Luck

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
With tryout season approaching, I am interested in your thoughts?

Scenario: Your son plays on a very good (winning) 2024 lacrosse team. Your son is not a starter on the team but does see some time on the field. Your son is happy being on this team, is a good teammate, and the coaches and his teammates all like him. At the same time, however, your son is disappointed in the fact that no matter how much he improves in practice and makes plays during games he still doesn’t see any additional playing time. (He has been on this same team since the 4th grade and has had the same coach for the last four years) Over that course of time he has been recognized by his coaches with individual awards at the end of each season but that still hasn't amounted to more playing time.

Your son believes that if he played on another AA team or even went down to a single A team he would atleast be afforded the opportunity to become a starter or atleast become a more essential member of a team. But at the same time you son is scared to tryout for different teams because he doesn't want to be considered a traitor by his current teammates for leaving.

As the parent, should you encourage your son to stay on his current AA team and just work to get better even if it means not seeing a lot of playing time or do you encourage him to tryout for other teams because playing time is the most important part for his development. Kids like being on a winning team, I get it, but is just being on a very good team helping your son if your son is not playing?

No jokes please. As a parent, I know I am not the only one going through something like this.

A lot to consider. What does he want to do? I would at least tryout for other teams. Does he have friends? As a rising 8th grader this is the year to make a switch. HS clubs do not change much and some really do not have tryouts. Playing at this age in games that matter is the most important thing to kids. It was when I was that age. If you are posting this, it suggests that he is not happy on the current team. I would at a minimum attend several tryouts. As far as being a traitor, are they allowing kids from other teams to tryout? Does that make the team disloyal? The loyalty part really ends at this point. HS is about showcases and those who want to play in college.

I think you let your son decide honestly. Has to be what he wants to do. Advantages to both and disadvantages to both but if he isnt happy will not matter. I just use my own experiences I improved a lot by being around better players all the time and having to earn playing time, etc. If you think the coaches are fair and will play the best he will get better where he is. You could be jumping into another frying pan but at end of the day has to be what he wants.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]With tryout season approaching, I am interested in your thoughts?

Scenario: Your son plays on a very good (winning) 2024 lacrosse team. Your son is not a starter on the team but does see some time on the field. Your son is happy being on this team, is a good teammate, and the coaches and his teammates all like him. At the same time, however, your son is disappointed in the fact that no matter how much he improves in practice and makes plays during games he still doesn’t see any additional playing time. (He has been on this same team since the 4th grade and has had the same coach for the last four years) Over that course of time he has been recognized by his coaches with individual awards at the end of each season but that still hasn't amounted to more playing time.

Your son believes that if he played on another AA team or even went down to a single A team he would atleast be afforded the opportunity to become a starter or atleast become a more essential member of a team. But at the same time you son is scared to tryout for different teams because he doesn't want to be considered a traitor by his current teammates for leaving.

As the parent, should you encourage your son to stay on his current AA team and just work to get better even if it means not seeing a lot of playing time or do you encourage him to tryout for other teams because playing time is the most important part for his development. Kids like being on a winning team, I get it, but is just being on a very good team helping your son if your son is not playing?

No jokes please. As a parent, I know I am not the only one going through something like this.

We are in the EXACT same position and it's very stressful and heavily debate it daily. It should not be this way.
We asked a HIGHLY successful MIAA "A" high school coach his point of view and he said reps on the field makes you better...period...amen. Therefore, play on the team that gets you the most playing time but still at your playing level.
Good luck to you and I wish there were more forums that were contributive and supportive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pretty much agree with all of what has been posted here about where to play. If your son is serious about moving forward in lacrosse (high school, college, etc.) go with the team/club where you are going to get game time. I would not worry too much about loyalty, etc. here. The clubs have made it very clear that their primary focus is winning and putting together a group of kids that will give them the best chance at this, there are no clubs in the area that are about true development. I am not saying this is right or wrong but at the end of the day the clubs are a business and it is your money, invest wisely. Most kids know players on multiple teams so moving (if you can) should not be too hard and would not worry too much about the "traitor" aspect.

With the move to grade based and the acceleration of the "double holdback" I think we will see continue to see more kids moving around clubs as older kids drop down and good/average on age kids look to find playing time. It is a little sad this is happening but unfortunately it is the way of the lacrosse world now.

If this is just a "for fun", which is great as well, then stay where your kid has the most friends, fun, etc.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son went through this last year. After putting in a good deal of extra work to improve, he felt ready to leave the club he'd spent three years with and try out for an elite team. It was his idea. His goal is to play Division I. By comparison, his older brother decided not to continue playing after 10th grade. I think ultimately players who want to play at the highest levels need to be internally motivated. Long story short, he made 2 of the 4 teams he tried out for, including fortunately his first choice. It took nearly all year for him to really feel like he's socially part of the team, but he's so happy, and he was happier even in the awkward early days. He wanted more rigor and more playing time and he got both. His entire physique is different. There is little that can substitute for playing time.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Helllooooooo....is the mic still on?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Helllooooooo....is the mic still on?

lol! what can we help you with?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any roster changes for Madlax, Next Level, and DCE this fall? Any significant additions or departures?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of the Madlax defenseman who just left this season will be opening a sports bar this fall. He was waiting tuntil he turned 21 years old.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of the Madlax defenseman who just left this season will be opening a sports bar this fall. He was waiting tuntil he turned 21 years old.

Fake News ! He is not going at it alone. He is opening the Sports Bar with a partner , a fellow 2024 Crab . They both became good friends while registering for Selective Service a few years ago.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good one. If a couple more leave maybe they can get the roster down to only 30 kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd be interested in a non sarcastic response to this question as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very helpful response

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very helpful response

Hoco and baltimore tryouts going on now and all sound interesting: FCA going to Looneys, Breakers going to FCA, Hoco Greene Turtle and Koopers kids going for Zingos, Roughriders with new coaching, Smells like it's 8th grade

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think there’s some turnover coming. Apparently Next Level had a huge showing at their first tryout and it appears they will be the front runner for a lot of the 2024 turnover. I have to imagine there are plenty of madlax players looking to jump ship when you carry a 30 man roster. There are way too many talented players standing around and watching. No way some of these kids/parents stick around when they know next year will be huge for player development and preparing for high school. My bet is the playing field levels out next year. Not sure about DCE but all of those players from BLC have to be going somewhere?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
91 MD had a surprising # of new kids at tryouts. Breakers and a few yellow helmets.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Breakers is ready to take off. We were just in the WSYL and that kind of exposure is going to attract talent

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think there’s some turnover coming. Apparently Next Level had a huge showing at their first tryout and it appears they will be the front runner for a lot of the 2024 turnover. I have to imagine there are plenty of madlax players looking to jump ship when you carry a 30 man roster. There are way too many talented players standing around and watching. No way some of these kids/parents stick around when they know next year will be huge for player development and preparing for high school. My bet is the playing field levels out next year. Not sure about DCE but all of those players from BLC have to be going somewhere?

I have heard the same thing. Don't get me wrong. Madlax will still be the team to beat this fall but I have a lot more respect for the kids and families that recognize that playing time and good coaching is more important than a t-shirt. It kills me to hear moms and dads bragging that their kid plays for the #1 team in the country. Nine times out of ten it is their oldest kid. Anyone that has been through this process before knows that 8th grade team rankings mean nothing. It is whether your kid has the ball in his stick in a real offense and he is getting better for high school. For 5 years now, Madlax has been all about starting the owners' two kids and giving the ball to the big kid. That is never going to change. Do you really want your son to be one of the 20+ short sticks vying for two righty attack spots or the 1 mid spot that clears through for the big kid as he runs over kids half his size. Nobody is getting better in that offense. Not even the big kid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most accurate, insightful and politically correct statement I’ve seen on this site fot a long time. Dce apparently had a large and favorable turnout as well. Smart of them to hold tryouts earlier than everyone else to scoop up the free lancers..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know what happened to Breakers? I know they dropped down but seemed to have a good year. There seems to be a lot of turnover. Or at least a fair amount of kids looking at new teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gary Mitchell stepped down as Breakers' 2024 coach at the end of the season. His son (one of their best players) moved to another club (91 maybe? Not certain). I think Dulaney's JV coach stepped in to coach. I believe their better players were at many of the other local club tryouts. There were a bunch of Breakers kids at Looneys' tryouts last week.

Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard