BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,198
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 42 of 322 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 321 322
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
UA Baltimore team will be good this year but not great. Talent level isn't like last year but that's understandable as its difficult to have the "best" team every year.

All in all the kids that were picked were the better players at the tryout.

No doubt, there are some amazing and well deserved players who played on the squad. And at the same time, there are some definite head scratchers along with a few who have never truly performed at a high level but seem to be "entitled" to making this team time for one reason or another. Its all good though, as the best mindset is for the majority of kids to treat this as a "look" and not to worry about getting selected due to the politics.

Which players do you feel are "entitled" who made the team. Just trying to understand the process. I have heard or seen most of these kids names from watching and reading about MIAA lacrosse this spring. There are a few names that are new to me.

Of course there are some head scratches. Many top MIAA players this year are on the team., even if they dont have a great tryout, everyone knows their talent.

If you think this is a true tryout , it isnt. It is a tryout for a few spots only. Most of players talent is already known by coaches from school and club. No big deal. You still have a shot, just a small one if you are not known. If you are known, a much better shot.

I am curious to see how this goes tonight to see if it is just about tryouts or your rep coming in. My son is an attackmen, doesn't have a name, never played for a top club, not at a top private. He played against a team that had a top name kid. My son had 3 goals and 2 assists and this young man had 1 asst. I am not saying my son is better than this kid but anyone just watching that game would name my son the better player that game.

Good luck. Why doesn't your son play on a top club if he's so good? You're doing him a disservice

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA Baltimore team will be good this year but not great. Talent level isn't like last year but that's understandable as its difficult to have the "best" team every year.

No doubt, there are some amazing and well deserved players who played on the squad. And at the same time, there are some definite head scratchers along with a few who have never truly performed at a high level but seem to be "entitled" to making this team time for one reason or another. Its all good though, as the best mindset is for the majority of kids to treat this as a "look" and not to worry about getting selected due to the politics.

Which players do you feel are "entitled" who made the team. Just trying to understand the process. I have heard or seen most of these kids names from watching and reading about MIAA lacrosse this spring. There are a few names that are new to me.

Of course there are some head scratches. Many top MIAA players this year are on the team., even if they dont have a great tryout, everyone knows their talent.

If you think this is a true tryout , it isnt. It is a tryout for a few spots only. Most of players talent is already known by coaches from school and club. No big deal. You still have a shot, just a small one if you are not known. If you are known, a much better shot.

I am curious to see how this goes tonight to see if it is just about tryouts or your rep coming in. My son is an attackmen, doesn't have a name, never played for a top club, not at a top private. He played against a team that had a top name kid. My son had 3 goals and 2 assists and this young man had 1 asst. I am not saying my son is better than this kid but anyone just watching that game would name my son the better player that game.

Good luck. Why doesn't your son play on a top club if he's so good? You're doing him a disservice

Briar Woods was undefeated!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I never said he is "so good" He is happy where he is so the disservice would be taking away from somewhere he is happy. Not saying he is better than any of the kids who made it, but there were plenty of kids who made the top 44 tonight who didn't have very good tryouts at all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Politics in any kind of these events. Daddy club coaches, high school coaches picking their own kids, etc. There are several 2, 3 and 4 time UA Baltimore team kids on the team including the public school FOGO who is VERY good. A few questionable picks on the roster - but - making the team and playing in the tournament are two different things. It’s a good roster that will be very competitive - just like always. The real question is the coaching. Can they deliver?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Which players do you feel are "entitled" who made the team. Just trying to understand the process. I have heard or seen most of these kids names from watching and reading about MIAA lacrosse this spring. There are a few names that are new to me

Briar Woods was undefeated!

He was ?? Wasnt there a Triple OT razor thin lost that day over Macho Grande ?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Politics in any kind of these events. Daddy club coaches, high school coaches picking their own kids, etc. There are several 2, 3 and 4 time UA Baltimore team kids on the team including the public school FOGO who is VERY good. A few questionable picks on the roster - but - making the team and playing in the tournament are two different things. It’s a good roster that will be very competitive - just like always. The real question is the coaching. Can they deliver?

Under Armour and its Team put this out as a tryout. It isnt in Baltimore as it isnt it most other places.
Its a AllStar team from the Region/area of players that the coaches and Clubs know plus a few spots that are actually open.

Look at rosters. Most knowledgeable people from that Region/Area could tell you over 50% of roster prior to tryouts.

All this still doesnt take away the great talent on the field. All Stars are All Stars usually for a reason.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The best players are known before they tryout. They have been known for years. Even a bad tryout would not erase a body of work produced over years. How do you think recruiting works? Not based on a tryout. Don’t waste your time if you are not one of those players of you intend to
complain after not making the cut. Otherwise, go for it, understand the stacked deck, and have no regrets if not selected, by maybe you stand out and make it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The goal is to put the most talent on the team. A lot of these kids are already known before the tryout begins. While it's great in theory to only put together the team based on a few hour tryout, why would they discount what the kids have shown over the years. You think they are going to cut one of the known best players in the area because they had an off day?

When you apply for a job do they only take the interview into account or do they actually look at your resume?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, they look at your resume when you come in for a job. But I think we've all learned the hard way over the past couple years that nepotism stinks. So while yes, a kid that has a good resume should be taken into consideration even if he has a bad tryout, there are kids who come out of the woodwork, so to speak. Who have developed and grown and maybe moved past those kids with the resume. So a tryout should be just that: a tryout. Whoever shines gets the spot. Otherwise, you're basing the team on word of mouth, daddy ball, favoritism, and hey, didn't his dad play D1? Doesn't his dad coach such and such? Doesn't he play for such and such MIAA team? It's a load of BS. Hold the tryout, and pick the team based on the tryout. Then no one can question your motives. Everyone on here talks tough -- don't complain about holdbacks, work harder. But when it comes to being entitled for spots on these teams, they sure shut up quickly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, they look at your resume when you come in for a job. But I think we've all learned the hard way over the past couple years that nepotism stinks. So while yes, a kid that has a good resume should be taken into consideration even if he has a bad tryout, there are kids who come out of the woodwork, so to speak. Who have developed and grown and maybe moved past those kids with the resume. So a tryout should be just that: a tryout. Whoever shines gets the spot. Otherwise, you're basing the team on word of mouth, daddy ball, favoritism, and hey, didn't his dad play D1? Doesn't his dad coach such and such? Doesn't he play for such and such MIAA team? It's a load of BS. Hold the tryout, and pick the team based on the tryout. Then no one can question your motives. Everyone on here talks tough -- don't complain about holdbacks, work harder. But when it comes to being entitled for spots on these teams, they sure shut up quickly.

It’s been this way since day 1 with Tyler and club daddy ball and daddy’s friends. Some get burned earlier, some later.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is why it is not a tryout no matter how hard UA makes it out to be one. Most positions are gone before first player steps on field.

If it is worth the money to you, go for it. But dont expect to make the team , enjoy the experience and competition. Of course that is a hard pill to swallow if you are a very good player with a better tryout than the chosen ones.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Under Armour and its Team put this out as a tryout. It isnt in Baltimore as it isnt it most other places.
Its a AllStar team from the Region/area of players that the coaches and Clubs know plus a few spots that are actually open.

Look at rosters. Most knowledgeable people from that Region/Area could tell you over 50% of roster prior to tryouts.

All this still doesnt take away the great talent on the field. All Stars are All Stars usually for a reason.

Looking at the team most of those 2, 3 and 4 time members are very very good and shined in the tryout. my kid didn't make it, but he is not better than the guy who is a 3 x player.

this is an all star team and money maker for CSE. Just do the math. Why do you think they added the Call Back Academy????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is why it is not a tryout no matter how hard UA makes it out to be one. Most positions are gone before first player steps on field.

If it is worth the money to you, go for it. But dont expect to make the team , enjoy the experience and competition. Of course that is a hard pill to swallow if you are a very good player with a better tryout than the chosen ones.

OMG. stop crying. Coaches want to win, PERIOD. Tell your kid to work harder and set himself apart from the field. Coach him on the difference between tryouts and playing for his highschool or club team. Playing okay compared to your competitiors in tryouts just isnt good enough! Competing at tryouts isnt always about making the right play, its about making yourself standout without making the wrong play. Light it up to make the team, or stop complaining because somebody evaluating 150 kids over a 5 hour period to pick the 23 best players doesnt notice him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any feedback from the Command tryouts last night?

GI Joe's son was on my son's team. He needs to HIT THE WALL. That, and stop holding the ball for 30 seconds each possession and doing nothing. Others are trying to make this team too

The son made the team. Snowplow parenting and keeping the ball away from your teammates pays off!

Great life lessons here for all.

You snowflakes need to stop crying and HIT THE WALL!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OMG. stop crying. Coaches want to win, PERIOD. Tell your kid to work harder and set himself apart from the field. Coach him on the difference between tryouts and playing for his highschool or club team. Playing okay compared to your competitiors in tryouts just isnt good enough! Competing at tryouts isnt always about making the right play, its about making yourself standout without making the wrong play. Light it up to make the team, or stop complaining because somebody evaluating 150 kids over a 5 hour period to pick the 23 best players doesnt notice him.

This. Make yourself stand out without making the wrong play. Well said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
5 kids from Spalding made the Command team. Five? Comical. This is a program that has never even sniffed the playoffs. Oh wait - Varsity coach is a UA coach. That explains it. Friends and family baby!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
5 kids from Spalding made the Command team. Five? Comical. This is a program that has never even sniffed the playoffs. Oh wait - Varsity coach is a UA coach. That explains it. Friends and family baby!

Wow! This is a landmark occasion as we now witness the first time anyone has ever benefitted politically from being associated with Spalding. Until now it has been just a mediocre school by the highway with bad lacrosse and no alumni reputation or network. But now.... wow.... five boys earned spots on the UA roster. Perhaps the tide really has turned down there. Congratulations to the players, coaches, and dads!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow! This is a landmark occasion as we now witness the first time anyone has ever benefitted politically from being associated with Spalding. Until now it has been just a mediocre school by the highway with bad lacrosse and no alumni reputation or network. But now.... wow.... five boys earned spots on the UA roster. Perhaps the tide really has turned down there. Congratulations to the players, coaches, and dads!

There were 15 coaches from both public and private schools who evaluated and voted for players. Dads who coached or evaluated had to leave the room for the positional vote that involved their kid. They were not even allowed to be part of the discussion or vote for the entire position. 5 coach's and/or evaluators had kids who tried out and only 1 of the 5 kids who had a parent coach or evaluator made the team! Yeah, that screams of politics and favoritism doesnt it!?! 5 public school players made the team!! It is a diverse group of outstanding players from public, private, many different schools and clubs. The players who made it set themselves apart from the field. Plenty of good players who had less than stellar tryouts were sent home. Parents that ran here to cry, who have no idea how the selection process works and want to burn down the effort that went into the tryouts and team selection just because your kid didnt make it........stop making excuses and start leading by example.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just stop with the sanctimonious BS. I saw the tryouts and the callback game. All of these kids would have been hard pressed to make it without some gameplaying - most notably the FOGO and Attackman.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well there is something fishy about the all-star team for the Baltimore Summer Kickoff - @bsklax . Somehow a player (a certain coach's son naturally) made the 2021/2022/2023 White All-star Roster without playing a single game in the tournament. Corruption is everywhere in this sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just stop with the sanctimonious BS. I saw the tryouts and the callback game. All of these kids would have been hard pressed to make it without some gameplaying - most notably the FOGO and Attackman.

Riiiight, because with 4 coaches and evalutators who had kids that did NOT make the team, the 15 evalutors and coaches got together in harmony and said, lets pull some strings to get the Spaulding FOGO and Attackman on the team? All 15 neglected the kids they might have had an independent interest in seeing on the team and voted for 2 kids that do not belong because they knew the UA mafia would put a hit out on them if they didnt vote the way they were told! All the public school guys were like "fweeew, at least we got 5 on" and all the private school guys were willing to give up those critical positions to throw the public school guys a bone?? Because nobody in that room really wants to see Baltimore win? They ALL just really want to help other clubs, players and parents out with their Instagram feeds? Not sanctimoneous at all, just pointing out that advancing consipracies because your feelings are hurt looks bad and will accomplish nothing for your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let me guess,.... your son played attack or FOGO in the callback game?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is the UA command team posted somewhere? It's not on main site for underclass games

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spalding is synonymous with losing lacrosse. Hardly representative of the finest lacrosse players in The Baltimore area. If their coach isn’t coach these kids aren’t on the roster. 1 or 2 of them - maybe. 5? No.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well there is something fishy about the all-star team for the Baltimore Summer Kickoff - @bsklax . Somehow a player (a certain coach's son naturally) made the 2021/2022/2023 White All-star Roster without playing a single game in the tournament. Corruption is everywhere in this sport.

It was an error. Deep breath.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It was an “ERROR” once someone pointed it out. The books are cooked.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spalding is synonymous with losing lacrosse. Hardly representative of the finest lacrosse players in The Baltimore area. If their coach isn’t coach these kids aren’t on the roster. 1 or 2 of them - maybe. 5? No.

Gotcha! So they beat Boy's Latin and hang with McDonogh and there is no chance that they have 5 solid rising sophomores on the varsity team?? Especially when those 5 kids play for the same club team that has been dominating at the 2022 level for years....Makes total sense. You conclusion doesnt sound like a biased opinion from an upity "upper tier" private school parent. Your wife's Range Rover needs to work a lot harder to get picked!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It was an “ERROR” once someone pointed it out. The books are cooked.

Exactly!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Gotcha! So they beat Boy's Latin and hang with McDonogh and there is no chance that they have 5 solid rising sophomores on the varsity team?? Especially when those 5 kids play for the same club team that has been dominating at the 2022 level for years....Makes total sense. You conclusion doesnt sound like a biased opinion from an upity "upper tier" private school parent. Your wife's Range Rover needs to work a lot harder to get picked!

More kids on the UA team than they had wins in the conference.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spalding beat Severn, John Carroll and MSJ. Bottom feeders. Fluke win against BL. Throttled by St. Mary’s, Gilman, St. Paul’s, Loyola and Calvert Hall. My conclusion is the holdback Hawks got on the UA team because the books were cooked for them. One the absolute worst programs in the league produces 5 UA Command team members? Nearly 25% of the roster? Doesn’t pass the smell test. Sorry.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spalding beat Severn, John Carroll and MSJ. Bottom feeders. Fluke win against BL. Throttled by St. Mary’s, Gilman, St. Paul’s, Loyola and Calvert Hall. My conclusion is the holdback Hawks got on the UA team because the books were cooked for them. One the absolute worst programs in the league produces 5 UA Command team members? Nearly 25% of the roster? Doesn’t pass the smell test. Sorry.

You realize that you are talking about freshman? They have little to do with Spalding’s history. Since you mentioned the Hawks, why not mention that one of the absolute best club programs in the country produced kids worthy of the UA Command team? Doesn’t fit your narrative?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How did this "Error" occur? Did the NCAA coaches request to see player number 5 for the team when really meant number 2? And it was just a huge coincidence that player number 5 happened to be the coaches son who did not play? What are the odds?

More likely the BSK tournament said to all club team coaches "What kids do you want on the all-star team?" before the event occurred and the club coaches submitted their names, but the tournament organizers forgot to check to see if the kids actually played and were eligible. - And just like that the tournament and the club coaches are exposed as total frauds!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How did this "Error" occur? Did the NCAA coaches request to see player number 5 for the team when really meant number 2? And it was just a huge coincidence that player number 5 happened to be the coaches son who did not play? What are the odds?

More likely the BSK tournament said to all club team coaches "What kids do you want on the all-star team?" before the event occurred and the club coaches submitted their names, but the tournament organizers forgot to check to see if the kids actually played and were eligible. - And just like that the tournament and the club coaches are exposed as total frauds!

I am sorry your kid didn’t get picked. Mine didn’t either. It’s called life. Learn to deal with it when things don’t go the way you want, so that your kid can learn from you and not be like you when things don’t go his way.
Life is not fair. This is not a new concept. For years everyone as known these things are money grabs and most of the time predetermined. If you give them your money anyway then that’s on you..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rough Riders had half their team make the call back game and 4 of them making the team. 2 of their coaches were evaluators. Spalding has 5 of 7 kids make call back game. Coach is a evaluator. Calvert Halls fogo dad was on sideline Im assuming evaluating and CH head coaches 8th grade kid makes call back game and Koopers head coach who was an evaluator makes the call back. If any one who knows anything knows many kids that made call back game did not belong.
Lets not pretend that this was a try out. It was not.. Many kids deserved to make it and many had no business even being thought of. It had nothing do with Standing Out!
Many kids on team just had to show up. Many that did stand out got hosed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I realize I am talking about holdback freshman who played on a Spalding team that got destroyed by the bulk of the league, lost to Broadneck and gave up more goals than any other team in the MIAA including mighty MSJ and John Carroll. So - if what you said is true - almost half of the Command team will be made up of public school kids and Spalding. That leaves another 12 or so slots for the kids from Calvert Hall, McD, BL, Gil, LB and SM. 5,kids on a roster from any of those schools wouldn’t raise an eyebrow. These coaches had the pick of the crop - yet they chose 5 kids from a subpar program? Friends and family at its best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where is the command division roster listed? Not on the page with other rosters

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who should have made it that didn't? Gilman goalie? St. P defender (SP Varsity Starter)?, CH defender (Varsity)? The attack was weak all the way around. The middies even weaker. When two players that live out of state make midfield, it says a lot about local players. But one of the out of state players volunteered to play in every game and take face offs too. Thats desire to make the team. My kid didn't do that. It doesn't matter what club you play for or what HS you go to. It matters who speaks up for you in the selection process and how hard they advocate for you. Period. End of story. There were only 3 or 4 standouts and the rest is a slugfest for the evaluators and coaches. 22 in Maryland is good at defense and goalie only 2 attackman. One or two middies. Good news is we have 3 years to catch up. Once these kids play a few years on varsity with the great coaches there, they will get better. Club coaches ruin these kids because they don't teach. EOS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where is the list posted?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who should have made it that didn't? Gilman goalie? St. P defender (SP Varsity Starter)?, CH defender (Varsity)? The attack was weak all the way around. The middies even weaker. When two players that live out of state make midfield, it says a lot about local players. But one of the out of state players volunteered to play in every game and take face offs too. Thats desire to make the team. My kid didn't do that. It doesn't matter what club you play for or what HS you go to. It matters who speaks up for you in the selection process and how hard they advocate for you. Period. End of story. There were only 3 or 4 standouts and the rest is a slugfest for the evaluators and coaches. 22 in Maryland is good at defense and goalie only 2 attackman. One or two middies. Good news is we have 3 years to catch up. Once these kids play a few years on varsity with the great coaches there, they will get better. Club coaches ruin these kids because they don't teach. EOS.

Explain club coaches ruin kids? Some club coaches of the top teams have coached high school college and MLL lacrosse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So just ignore the fact that he two out of state kids happen to play for Ron Klausner's Koopers? If those kids didn't know they were going to make the Baltimore team they would have just gone to the South tryout.

Like Reply Quote
Page 42 of 322 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 321 322
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard