BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Boys 2022 -9th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just love the get over it,,,its High School now. Time to move on with the holdback game. Three ways to be the best..Be First..Be smarter..Cheat ..I would say holdbacks get two out of three before the game starts! little joke from Margin Call

It is still an advantage for many, of course not all.. By the time they get to 11 or 12 majority of advantage is over. But there is still an slight advantage for multitude of reasons..,,Ever wonder why there is a PG year for many top players?? Of course its all within the rules and you go against kids 4 years older your first year in HS..well 3 years older if you are a holdback.

Lacrosse has been become the poster child with what is wrong in YOUTH sports. More so then other youth sports. Several have some warts, but top youth lacrosse is over the top with older for their grade children.

Maryland Private High Schools are the poster childs for what is wrong with lacrosse no matter how you spin it.GReat Lacrosse tainted by everyone wondering who is a holdback . If holdbacks were a rarity or even a little above average compared to other sports no one would care. It is a epidemic that is out of control. Just seems wrong ..Common sense. But it is within the rules and holdbacks will be growing in numbers every year,

No one is wondering who the holdbacks are. It is common knowledge who they are. The kids on their own teams talk to other kids. We’ve seen the 2021s become 2022s and the 2022s become 2023s. It just serves as a conversation asterisk when the kid makes a great play.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just love the get over it,,,its High School now. Time to move on with the holdback game. Three ways to be the best..Be First..Be smarter..Cheat ..I would say holdbacks get two out of three before the game starts! little joke from Margin Call

It is still an advantage for many, of course not all.. By the time they get to 11 or 12 majority of advantage is over. But there is still an slight advantage for multitude of reasons..,,Ever wonder why there is a PG year for many top players?? Of course its all within the rules and you go against kids 4 years older your first year in HS..well 3 years older if you are a holdback.

Lacrosse has been become the poster child with what is wrong in YOUTH sports. More so then other youth sports. Several have some warts, but top youth lacrosse is over the top with older for their grade children.

Maryland Private High Schools are the poster childs for what is wrong with lacrosse no matter how you spin it.GReat Lacrosse tainted by everyone wondering who is a holdback . If holdbacks were a rarity or even a little above average compared to other sports no one would care. It is a epidemic that is out of control. Just seems wrong ..Common sense. But it is within the rules and holdbacks will be growing in numbers every year,

No one is wondering who the holdbacks are. It is common knowledge who they are. The kids on their own teams talk to other kids. We’ve seen the 2021s become 2022s and the 2022s become 2023s. It just serves as a conversation asterisk when the kid makes a great play.

I'll take the asterisk while my kid goes to an Ivy or a Michigan while yours goes to SUNY.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ivy ain't happening for your kid--they recruit the latest and by that time the holdback (size) advantage is pretty much gone.... So it may be better for your holdback to join the school play or do band to increase his extracurricular activities so that his chances to getting into a decent college improve.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Says the kid who will be leading the charge at intramurals in college. Go check the rosters of kids actually playing in D1 and let me know how many are closer in age to 9/1 and older. I'll save you the trouble. It's well over 50%. Also, go check the test scores of kids who are older. Let me help you out. They are significantly higher than those who are younger. Older kids have an advantage. Go read up on the subject junior or go back to practicing your fortnite dances.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Says the kid who will be leading the charge at intramurals in college. Go check the rosters of kids actually playing in D1 and let me know how many are closer in age to 9/1 and older. I'll save you the trouble. It's well over 50%. Also, go check the test scores of kids who are older. Let me help you out. They are significantly higher than those who are younger. Older kids have an advantage. Go read up on the subject junior or go back to practicing your fortnite dances.

Guys like you don’t get nearly enough credit for recognizing when their kid just can’t compete with his peers. Most will blame the coach or the teammates, but kudos for recognizing that it was junior who wasn’t cutting it. Hold him back to play with the younger kids so he can experience a taste of success that otherwise would have eluded him. Bravo sir. Not enough dads of marginal players are as astute as you are. It must be that BL education.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually, there are plenty of parents as astute as him and his stats are correct. The success of BL and others like it have contributed to the trend. It's not going away.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can we see the same scientific study results for D3 schools, kids who decide not to play in college at age 25, drop out, or get GEDs?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guys like you don’t get nearly enough credit for recognizing when their kid just can’t compete with his peers. Most will blame the coach or the teammates, but kudos for recognizing that it was junior who wasn’t cutting it. Hold him back to play with the younger kids so he can experience a taste of success that otherwise would have eluded him. Bravo sir. Not enough dads of marginal players are as astute as you are. It must be that BL education.

Funny Stuff ! MIAA teams are loaded with boys who followed that advice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone take their sons to the Maryland Prospect Camp on Sunday? How was it?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2022 is a very talented age group. Very excited to see ALL play in High School . Maryland and local areas has the best all around leagues to play in from week to week. MIAA, DC IAC, DCWCAC, AA, Howard and Baltimore Public Schools. Get behind your kid and their school and enjoy a good to start to the entire 2022 class.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any 2022 players make varsity as a freshman this year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any 2022 players make varsity as a freshman this year?

10 made SJC varsity roster but I think their roster is over 40 kids so I'm not sure how much PT kids will get. Program has very few 2021s.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is why lacrosse families are so sad. Get a life out in the real world where lacrosse won't cut it. Read a book.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team 91 has two freshman make varsity at McD and one at St. Pauls. All three are not holdbacks which is very impressive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team 91 has two freshman make varsity at McD and one at St. Pauls. All three are not holdbacks which is very impressive.

2 poles very good

Did all the Hawks kids make varsity?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
serious question- for any parents that held their kids back in middle school, whether it was for academics, athletics, maturity, whatever- was it worth it? would you do it again

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
serious question- for any parents that held their kids back in middle school, whether it was for academics, athletics, maturity, whatever- was it worth it? would you do it again

No, its fools gold. Kids need to struggle: making it easier for them early on doesn't do them any favors down the road in life. Kids need to fail, get cut to learn the realities of the real world. The sooner they do, the better off they are.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2 poles very good

No

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2 poles very good

No

Not everyone makes varsity or chooses to stay up on varsity. If a freshman has the option to get 100% of the PT on a competitive JV team with good coaches versus sitting 100% of the time on stacked varsity, I would posit the JV option is a better one. Some programs have great JV coaching staffs and others use it as a source of secondary income for their teachers. Caveat Emptor.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is why lacrosse families are so sad. Get a life out in the real world where lacrosse won't cut it. Read a book.

Yet here you are.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2 poles very good

No

Not everyone makes varsity or chooses to stay up on varsity. If a freshman has the option to get 100% of the PT on a competitive JV team with good coaches versus sitting 100% of the time on stacked varsity, I would posit the JV option is a better one. Some programs have great JV coaching staffs and others use it as a source of secondary income for their teachers. Caveat Emptor.

Nice concept but you clearly do not know how special these Hawks and their coaches are.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don’t disagree about JV playing time. But the decision is really the V coaches to make. If he wants your son up, that’s probably what’s best for him as the coaches know exactly what the pros and cons are.

I’m not sure who doesn’t choose to stay up?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Completely worth it. D1 is loaded with holdbacks...Look at any college roster with birthdays.. Minimum 25% are Holdbacks on most D1 teams

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For academics it makes a greater impact to be younger a year or 2. To be younger and have accomplished academically is a huge plus especially in job searches and hiring.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a guess player?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a guess player?

The answer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a guess player?

He is the player who shows up five minutes before the game. While you are waiting to watch your son "start" he is handed a jersey from the trunk of the coaches car. He then takes your son's position on the field. While he is scoring most of the teams goals, the rest of the parents "guess" what his name is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a guess player?

He is the player who shows up five minutes before the game. While you are waiting to watch your son "start" he is handed a jersey from the trunk of the coaches car. He then takes your son's position on the field. While he is scoring most of the teams goals, the rest of the parents "guess" what his name is.

LOL!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don’t disagree about JV playing time. But the decision is really the V coaches to make. If he wants your son up, that’s probably what’s best for him as the coaches know exactly what the pros and cons are.

The HC worries about the varsity team not your son's individual development. "Best for him" is pretty far down on the priority list. If the HC wants a great "scout team", he keeps him up. In the old days freshmen never made varsity unless they were playing. Otherwise you played on JV and got enough high school game experience to help you develop.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is going on with Hawks and API all going to the same high school? The two teams merging? Hawks HC coaching the JV?

Spalding will be really good next year

Will win MIAA

Are you saying they will win the MIAA Varsity because of the 2022 API and hawks class coming in?
maybe JV

JV this year easy... Next year playoffs MIAA Varsity... Following year MIAA Champions ..

Sounds like wishful thinking! They've had a lot of talent come there over the last few years and it has amounted to nothing in the MIAA Varsity.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The HC worries about the varsity team not your son's individual development. "Best for him" is pretty far down on the priority list. If the HC wants a great "scout team", he keeps him up. In the old days freshmen never made varsity unless they were playing. Otherwise you played on JV and got enough high school game experience to help you develop.

Good coaches at every level worry about player development. Freshman players who are talented enough to be impact players their sophomore and Junior years can also be brought up to varsity, so they can learn the system and practice against bigger, stronger, faster, higher caliber players. They may play a lot, or they might get time in varsity games where a win or loss cant be placed on their shoulders. Either way, they still develop and are prepared to be impact players for their team. If a coach doesn't see that value in a player, then they stay on JV to develop. If they do not develop into an impact player on JV as a freshman, then they MIGHT play 2 years of varsity lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have two words for you: Pat Spencer. 2 years of JV lacrosse. Don't think it hurt him too much! Best wishes to all!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have two words for you: Pat Spencer. 2 years of JV lacrosse. Don't think it hurt him too much! Best wishes to all!

Those two years are why Loyola lost to Towson.

wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Those two years are why Loyola lost to Towson.

wink

Actually defender for Towson, who limited him to 1 goal, was on the fresh/soph team at LB in 9th

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2 poles very good

No

Nice concept but you clearly do not know how special these Hawks and their coaches are.

Or you don't know how bad Spalding is. They may be bad enough to put a few of these freshmen on varsity.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually defender for Towson, who limited him to 1 goal, was on the fresh/soph team at LB in 9th

Amazing that he is allowed to play Division 1 lacrosse - let alone be on the top ranked team in the country.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Love it. All hail the late bloomer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Love it. All hail the late bloomer.

Love late bloomers... always a feel good story. But it is rare. Most of the players were good from the start.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wouldn't call Pat Spencer a late bloomer. His coach said he knew he was a D1 player even as a sophomore, but they had 5 D1 commits at his position who were juniors or seniors.

Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard