BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Recruiting Proposal Being Voted On This April
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but there is currently a NCAA proposal to change the recruiting calendar to allow contact starting 6/15 after 10th grade and visits and offers to begin 8/1. This would change the current date of 9/1 of junior year for all contact. This proposal has been recommended by the NCAA Student-Athlete Experience Committee for all sports but Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey. This proposal was approved for a final vote in April by the NCAA Council. This week the ACC has submitted a request to amend this proposal to keep the 9/1 date for lacrosse. This will now also be voted on in April. I'm not sure if most of you agree, but the current 9/1 date has several issues. First off, we are all forced to blindly spend money for our kids to attend camps, clinics, etc. While we can hear if a school has "general interest" some schools don't even offer that much. Allowing contact on 6/15 would make it possible to have real discussions with the coaches to gauge their actual level of interest, where the player is on their list and other useful information. It also provides an opportunity to begin to create a relationship with the coaches that will be coaching your child for 4 years. As you all are aware, the 9/1 date does not remove the recruiting pressure on the kids. Coaches still watch the games years prior to that date. If anything the pressure is worse because the kids have no idea where they stand. Moving the visit date to 8/1 also allows the kids to more easily play fall sports. Most soccer, field hockey, football coaches aren't going to be too thrilled with kids missing Friday and weekend practices or even games because they need to go visit colleges for lacrosse. Coaches say they want multiple sport athletes yet pass rules that make it very difficult to play a fall sport junior year.

It has been expressed to me that it would be very beneficial for as many parents as possible to send letters/emails to the chair of the NCAA council prior to the April vote expressing concerns with the 9/1 date and support for the new proposal which is Proposal 2018-93. I am including the email below for the current and incoming Chairs. I hope we as a community can come together and try to make sure this positive change can pass.

Current Chair:
Blake James bjames@miami.edu
Incoming Chair:
Dr. M. Grace Calhoun athdir@pobox.upenn.edu

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: New Recruiting Proposal Being Voted On This April
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does it matter. Lacrosse lost its "button" on watchESPN. You can't find a game on apple TV without a map. This game seems to have jumped the shark. I can watch squash and e-sports and all kinds of trash. BTN can't seem to get an app on apple TV. This is a joke. The lacrosse leaders are letting everyone down

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lacrosse should involve themselves instead of taking peoples money to fund useless "USA" teams that nobody cares about!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
US Lacrosse should involve themselves instead of taking peoples money to fund useless "USA" teams that nobody cares about!!

Does anyone actually watch team " USA " ?? Besides USL writers. USL might want to tone down their PC correct magazine and stick to lacrosse. Lately I skim thru it for a minute and in the trash it goes .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does anyone actually watch team " USA " ?? Besides USL writers. USL might want to tone down their PC correct magazine and stick to lacrosse. Lately I skim thru it for a minute and in the trash it goes .

Same.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess the over 90% of the Coaches don't want to lose their camp money train. One last summer to squeeze some money out of the PSA's and their parents.

Division I Proposal - 2018-93-2

Source: Atlantic Coast Conference

Effective Date:Immediate

Proposal Category: Amendment-to-Amendment

Topical Area: Recruiting

Proposal 2018-93-2
Rationale: In April 2017, Proposal No. 2017-1 was adopted to address early recruiting in lacrosse. Only two years later, the new rules are widely supported by the lacrosse coaching community. Specifically, over ninety percent of lacrosse coaches support the current rule over Proposal No. 2018-93. Coaches have expressed a preference for the simplicity of a single date to begin all recruiting communication and contact, rather than the staggered approach in Proposal No. 2019-83. Additionally, it is important that the original changes have time to impact recruiting behavior and culture without adding confusion to the recruiting environment. If Proposal No. 2018-93 is adopted without removing lacrosse, it would move recruiting earlier, which is detrimental to coaches, prospective student-athletes and the sport overall.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess the over 90% of the Coaches don't want to lose their camp money train. One last summer to squeeze some money out of the PSA's and their parents.

Proposal 2018-93-2
Rationale: In April 2017, Proposal No. 2017-1 was adopted to address early recruiting in lacrosse. Only two years later, the new rules are widely supported by the lacrosse coaching community. Specifically, over ninety percent of lacrosse coaches support the current rule over Proposal No. 2018-93. Coaches have expressed a preference for the simplicity of a single date to begin all recruiting communication and contact, rather than the staggered approach in Proposal No. 2019-83. Additionally, it is important that the original changes have time to impact recruiting behavior and culture without adding confusion to the recruiting environment. If Proposal No. 2018-93 is adopted without removing lacrosse, it would move recruiting earlier, which is detrimental to coaches, prospective student-athletes and the sport overall.

Exactly. This is why parents need to email the chairs of the NCAA council to voice our issues with the current system of blindly spending money on camps with little to no feedback. It can and will make a difference if enough people reach out. The NCAA Student-Athlete Experience Committee recommended that lacrosse be included in the 6/15 proposal. Lacrosse(Duke) has asked to keep 9/1. They say it's for the benefit of psa's but it's beneficial to the coaches and their timelines. Not ours.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Proposal 2018-93-2

Exactly..Self serving college coaches who already know who they want. Just another money grab by coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Proposal 2018-93-2

The only reason I can see the coaches not wanting this, is to squeeze more $$ out of the kids. This proposed change would CLEARLY be in the best interest of the student athlete. It would allow visits before the return to school, and would allow for full participation in fall sports, without the stress of missing games and practices. A no-brainer, do't get it?? I thought the coaches were in favor of multi sport athletes!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Proposal 2018-93-2

The only reason I can see the coaches not wanting this, is to squeeze more $$ out of the kids. This proposed change would CLEARLY be in the best interest of the student athlete. It would allow visits before the return to school, and would allow for full participation in fall sports, without the stress of missing games and practices. A no-brainer, do't get it?? I thought the coaches were in favor of multi sport athletes!

IT'S A BUSINESS!!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I guess the over 90% of the Coaches don't want to lose their camp money train. One last summer to squeeze some money out of the PSA's and their parents.

Proposal 2018-93-2

Has a coach been asked why they prefer the rule to stand as is what is the benefit to the student athlete? The current rule doesn't make sense at all D2 coaches can speak to girls on June 15th while D1 coaches have to wait until September 1st shouldn't be the other way around if you were going to stagger it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I guess the over 90% of the Coaches don't want to lose their camp money train. One last summer to squeeze some money out of the PSA's and their parents.

Proposal 2018-93-2

Has a coach been asked why they prefer the rule to stand as is what is the benefit to the student athlete? The current rule doesn't make sense at all D2 coaches can speak to girls on June 15th while D1 coaches have to wait until September 1st shouldn't be the other way around if you were going to stagger it?

A. They make more money on camps now because sophomores are attending. They didn't use to attend in high numbers because a lot of them had already committed by then
B. August is the only month college coaches get a break. They don't want to spend it hosting high school kids on campus if visits are allowed 8/1. When will they be able to take a vacation if they make that change?

Early recruiting needs to be slowed down, but none of these demands by lacrosse are in the best interest of the kids and families.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by MR_Anonymous
I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but there is currently a NCAA proposal to change the recruiting calendar to allow contact starting 6/15 after 10th grade and visits and offers to begin 8/1. This would change the current date of 9/1 of junior year for all contact. This proposal has been recommended by the NCAA Student-Athlete Experience Committee for all sports but Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey. This proposal was approved for a final vote in April by the NCAA Council. This week the ACC has submitted a request to amend this proposal to keep the 9/1 date for lacrosse. This will now also be voted on in April. I'm not sure if most of you agree, but the current 9/1 date has several issues. First off, we are all forced to blindly spend money for our kids to attend camps, clinics, etc. While we can hear if a school has "general interest" some schools don't even offer that much. Allowing contact on 6/15 would make it possible to have real discussions with the coaches to gauge their actual level of interest, where the player is on their list and other useful information. It also provides an opportunity to begin to create a relationship with the coaches that will be coaching your child for 4 years. As you all are aware, the 9/1 date does not remove the recruiting pressure on the kids. Coaches still watch the games years prior to that date. If anything the pressure is worse because the kids have no idea where they stand. Moving the visit date to 8/1 also allows the kids to more easily play fall sports. Most soccer, field hockey, football coaches aren't going to be too thrilled with kids missing Friday and weekend practices or even games because they need to go visit colleges for lacrosse. Coaches say they want multiple sport athletes yet pass rules that make it very difficult to play a fall sport junior year.

It has been expressed to me that it would be very beneficial for as many parents as possible to send letters/emails to the chair of the NCAA council prior to the April vote expressing concerns with the 9/1 date and support for the new proposal which is Proposal 2018-93. I am including the email below for the current and incoming Chairs. I hope we as a community can come together and try to make sure this positive change can pass.

Current Chair:
Incoming Chair:

I sent an email to both supporting staying with the NCAA proposal for 6/15 and visits at 8/1. Have any others sent emails? It would be good for them to know that there is support for the revised dates.

I

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Current Chair:
Incoming Chair:

I sent an email to both supporting staying with the NCAA proposal for 6/15 and visits at 8/1. Have any others sent emails? It would be good for them to know that there is support for the revised dates.

I

My daughter was at a camp last weekend and coach said she doesn't see it passing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Current Chair:
Incoming Chair:

I

My daughter was at a camp last weekend and coach said she doesn't see it passing.

All coaches think that because they voted at the IMLCA and IWLCA conventions to request to keep 9/1 and they got their way last year and assume they will again. This year is different. The NCAA made their own recommendations after a multi-year study. They specifically talked about lacrosse at the January convention and decided that lacrosse did not need their own rules and should follow the recommendation. Lacrosse then made a formal request to keep 9/1. This is why everyone needs to email the chairs of the NCAA Council. They need to know how the parents feel because the coaches are presenting that 9/1 is what is best for the athletes and families which is just not true. Emails really can make a difference here and I hope that a lot of you are letting Mr. James and Dr. Calhoun know how you feel about this.

2 years ago, almost every coach though the recruiting legislation would fail. They really have no idea. There are no lacrosse coaches on the NCAA Council.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Current Chair:
Incoming Chair:

I

Can you post the email you sent so everyone could include the same information and argument?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Current Chair:
Incoming Chair:

I

All coaches think that because they voted at the IMLCA and IWLCA conventions to request to keep 9/1 and they got their way last year and assume they will again. This year is different. The NCAA made their own recommendations after a multi-year study. They specifically talked about lacrosse at the January convention and decided that lacrosse did not need their own rules and should follow the recommendation. Lacrosse then made a formal request to keep 9/1. This is why everyone needs to email the chairs of the NCAA Council. They need to know how the parents feel because the coaches are presenting that 9/1 is what is best for the athletes and families which is just not true. Emails really can make a difference here and I hope that a lot of you are letting Mr. James and Dr. Calhoun know how you feel about this.

2 years ago, almost every coach though the recruiting legislation would fail. They really have no idea. There are no lacrosse coaches on the NCAA Council.

I don't think anyone knows yet what the result will be. I've heard people say that lacrosse will definitely be included and others say it won't. Hopefully the NCAA sticks to their belief that lacrosse should not be treated differently. Sending in an email will definitely be helpful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Better yet here is the real truth that should be told...
The college lacrosse coaches will not let the contact date be moved up because these coaches are now making too much money from their camps.
Coaches want recruiting pushed back because coaches make huge money from the extra two years of camps from the Sophomore and Junior players who now go.
Coaches did not push recruiting back because it "was in the best interest of the players" they pushed it back because "it was in the best interest of coaches' pocketbooks". Follow the money!
Coaches want you to believe it is an amazing coincidence that the extra two months of July and August that the coaches claim "are needed so the players can mature" just happen to be the exact two months when coaches run their camps. What an amazing coincidence!
Players do not magically mature in July & August. It is because July and August are when coaches run their money making camps.
Sorry players, the NCAA, just like US Lacrosse, will put the money before the players.
By the way...
-Proposal 2018-93 is for June 15th contact
-Proposal 2018-93-2 is for Sept 1st contact
Please email:
bjames@miami.edu
athdir@pobox.upenn.edu
and tell them to vote June 15th not Sept 1st

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding 2018-93, the $ greedy college coaches want to keep the lacrosse date 9/1 because 9/1 enables coaches to run another round of money making summer camps .
If the date was 6/15 coaches would commit the "true recruits" the coaches were truly interested in on 6/15 and then the 100's of mislead non-recruits would not go to the coaches' money making camps.
The coaches had a stronger argument when they moved recruiting back 3 YEARS. But now the extra 2 MONTHS coaches want are just for the coaches to make money on 2 months of camps.
Players do not miraculously mature in those last 2 months. It is those 2 months the coaches want to make more money from camps.
The lacrosse coaches want 9/1 instead of 6/15 because of $ greed.
As usual US Lacrosse has sold out to the money and the coaches instead of putting the kids first. Let's hope the NCAA puts the kids first this time.
The NCAA needs to stand up to the coaches and make the date 6/15 like the other sports.
email addresses:
bjames@miami.edu
athdir@pobox.upenn.edu
Proposal #'s:
2018-93 is for June 15th contact like other sports
2018-93-2 is Lax Coach Camp $ greed Sept 1

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding 2018-93, the $ greedy college coaches want to keep the lacrosse date 9/1 because 9/1 enables coaches to run another round of money making summer camps .
If the date was 6/15 coaches would commit the "true recruits" the coaches were truly interested in on 6/15 and then the 100's of mislead non-recruits would not go to the coaches' money making camps.
The coaches had a stronger argument when they moved recruiting back 3 YEARS. But now the extra 2 MONTHS coaches want are just for the coaches to make money on 2 months of camps.
Players do not miraculously mature in those last 2 months. It is those 2 months the coaches want to make more money from camps.
The lacrosse coaches want 9/1 instead of 6/15 because of $ greed.
As usual US Lacrosse has sold out to the money and the coaches instead of putting the kids first. Let's hope the NCAA puts the kids first this time.
The NCAA needs to stand up to the coaches and make the date 6/15 like the other sports.
email addresses:
bjames@miami.edu
athdir@pobox.upenn.edu
Proposal #'s:
2018-93 is for June 15th contact like other sports
2018-93-2 is Lax Coach Camp $ greed Sept 1

Exactly.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled