BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 313 of 327 1 2 311 312 313 314 315 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter is a defender and has been since MS-ish, by choice because she was good at it and likes the physicality.

She got recruited as a defender but did not get the looks that her teammates on offense got, which was disheartening since she was highly regarded within that team and on her school team. Nevertheless, she got recruited and ended up at a mid-major and is now getting the heretofore-only-rumored full ride. She started out with more academic money than athletic and it was maybe 40-50% of full tuition but that changed in our favor over the years.

I will say that I thought entering the recruiting process that she would get more looks because I figured the pool of offensive and midfield players was jammed and that was my mistake.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So why is Northport wearing yj uniforms in an indoor tournament? In a high school bracket. It’s not a club team bracket. Low class as usual. Oh and the calls are ridiculously one sided. Goalie gets stick checked and orchestrates a poorly acted head grab

Not sure why the uniforms would surprise you - they're listed as "YJ Tigers" on Tourney Machine.

each team description states.. "players who mostly attend" such and such HS.. so I guess each team is with the rules to add kids from other HS if they wanted too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have a list of defenders being offered serious scholarship offers? Didn't think so. Coaches offer for speed, playmakers and goal scorers

My daughter is a defender and has received as much if not more interest than anyone on her club team. Stop making generalizations. Maybe on second level club teams defenders aren't athletic, but on the top teams defenders have to be able to stop the starting attackers on the other teams. Same in HS. Just a silly statement. Don't disagree that colleges turn HS middies into defenders. But just silly to think there aren't a lot of great defenders out there. The senior UA teams have as many defenders as attackers. They are all going to great schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College coaches recruit athletes with good stick skills and high lacrosse IQ. They don't care what position she is playing for a club team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College coaches recruit athletes with good stick skills and high lacrosse IQ. They don't care what position she is playing for a club team.

And all this time I thought she got recruited because of the color of her shoes....If she can play, she can play

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And all this time I thought she got recruited because of the color of her shoes....If she can play, she can play

lots of times kids play different positions on the HS teams then Club teams … be versatile

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

lots of times kids play different positions on the HS teams then Club teams … be versatile

Midfield on HS team to show speed and stick and D on club to show toughness and footwork.. that is a good combo that worked for us.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Midfield on her high school team because they lacked enough kids with speed and stick skills and defense on her club team because she did not have the stick skills to play middie on that team . That is what worked for us after of course the middies and attack players from her club team went first .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Midfield on her high school team because they lacked enough kids with speed and stick skills and defense on her club team because she did not have the stick skills to play middie on that team . That is what worked for us after of course the middies and attack players from her club team went first .

If you say so BadPerson....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You know what trumps all of that??? GRADES!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You know what trumps all of that??? GRADES!

Of course grades matter. But check out the stats on the number of kids that don't get into Ivy's, Stanford, Duke, etc with perfect SAT scores and 4.0 GPA. Lacrosse is a hammerhead to get into schools that may be impossible otherwise.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course grades matter. But check out the stats on the number of kids that don't get into Ivy's, Stanford, Duke, etc with perfect SAT scores and 4.0 GPA. Lacrosse is a hammerhead to get into schools that may be impossible otherwise.

We have no way of checking out anyone's SAT scores or GPA other than word of mouth, which I would not consider reliable because of course parents will inflate numbers.

But lacrosse can get you into the preferential pool of applicants and can help you edge out the competition in admissions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We have no way of checking out anyone's SAT scores or GPA other than word of mouth, which I would not consider reliable because of course parents will inflate numbers.

But lacrosse can get you into the preferential pool of applicants and can help you edge out the competition in admissions.

You missed my point on SAT scores and GPA. Over 60% of applicants with perfect SAT scores get rejected by the Ivy's and Stanford. So my point was that people can preach grades matter more all they want, but if your daughter can into Harvard with a 1350 because she is good at lacrosse, then it's not all about grades and scores. Use the sport for what it can provide you which is preferential admission.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about staying there after you get in ????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You missed my point on SAT scores and GPA. Over 60% of applicants with perfect SAT scores get rejected by the Ivy's and Stanford. So my point was that people can preach grades matter more all they want, but if your daughter can into Harvard with a 1350 because she is good at lacrosse, then it's not all about grades and scores. Use the sport for what it can provide you which is preferential admission.

You are not probably not getting in with a 1350, and if you do, you have to maintain a GPA at the Ivy to stay there. My point was she needs to develop a work ethic in the classroom to handle the education part of going to college. You know, the reason why you go to college. To get an education.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"You are not probably not getting in with a 1350, and if you do, you have to maintain a GPA at the Ivy to stay there. My point was she needs to develop a work ethic in the classroom to handle the education part of going to college. You know, the reason why you go to college. To get an education."

You are just completely off base. If a college coach from the Ivies has recruited your daughter and or son for a sport and they have scored a 1300 or higher on the SAT and are a relatively good student they are getting in. As far as staying above water once you are there in general it can be done but will not be easy and will depend on your area of study. The question I have is are you better going to an Ivy and being in the bottom half of your graduating class or are you better off going to say ASU/Clemson etc and graduating at the to of your class. I have heard too many people act like just getting a degree from an IVY is a golden ticket to future success when I have seen that is just not the case.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"I have heard too many people act like just getting a degree from an IVY is a golden ticket to future success when I have seen that is just not the case."

Right, just look at Andy Bernard

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anglos from the burbs need the help of lax to get in to the ivies. One of the few times the investment in club lax pays off. Ever been to an Ivy campus? doesn't really look like the dempgraphics of a lax town

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anglos from the burbs need the help of lax to get in to the ivies. One of the few times the investment in club lax pays off. Ever been to an Ivy campus? doesn't really look like the dempgraphics of a lax town

Clearly, you did not go to an Ivy with that grammar. Or if you did, you wasted a lot of money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"You are not probably not getting in with a 1350, and if you do, you have to maintain a GPA at the Ivy to stay there. My point was she needs to develop a work ethic in the classroom to handle the education part of going to college. You know, the reason why you go to college. To get an education."

You are just completely off base. If a college coach from the Ivies has recruited your daughter and or son for a sport and they have scored a 1300 or higher on the SAT and are a relatively good student they are getting in. As far as staying above water once you are there in general it can be done but will not be easy and will depend on your area of study. The question I have is are you better going to an Ivy and being in the bottom half of your graduating class or are you better off going to say ASU/Clemson etc and graduating at the to of your class. I have heard too many people act like just getting a degree from an IVY is a golden ticket to future success when I have seen that is just not the case.

Ok. So the BOTTOM 25% of Ivy's' SAT scores are 1450+. So being a great lax player with a 1350-1450 may or may not get you in. You WILL NOT get in with a 1300. Period.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You take out of your college education what you put into. You excel at an ivy you will be better positioned for your first job than if you excel at a Colonial League School. That is a fact, simply because more companies recruit from the ivy's than any other conference. However, if you are not in the top 20% of you class you won't even make it past the initial screening for an on campus interview with a company. Ivy is good for your first job out of school and networking thereafter. Beyond that, for advancement and your second job its what have you done for me lately; forget about where your degree is from at that point except for at the cocktail party.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok. So the BOTTOM 25% of Ivy's' SAT scores are 1450+. So being a great lax player with a 1350-1450 may or may not get you in. You WILL NOT get in with a 1300. Period.

Completely inaccurate. Each Ivy program has team level requirements for test scores and gpa. It allows for several student athletes to have scores well below the average. Each school and sport at that school also get a certain number of automatics if they achieve a minimum level SAT score. Varies by school and sport, but 1,000 or 1,100 on SATs is what I experienced for the top recruits (approx. 2-3 per sport per class, football gets more). Also, depending on the major, staying in school with a reasonable gpa is not anymore difficult than at most of the other top 50 schools. An engineering major will be chanlleging anywhere, General studies not so much.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are just a complete fool .If you are a great lax player that he coach has recruited you will definately get in with a 1300 as long as your grades are equivalent. Stop posting nonsense if you have no idea what you are talking about. You are also ignorant of the fact that you can look up SAT scores of incoming athletes if you know where to look.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think this whole athletics thing is more about parents living through their kids than anything else but coaches clearly get kids into schools that they would not qualify for. But kids need to have both, some smarts and be an exceptional player.

Average academics and pretty good lax doesn't cut it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think this whole athletics thing is more about parents living through their kids than anything else but coaches clearly get kids into schools that they would not qualify for. But kids need to have both, some smarts and be an exceptional player.

Average academics and pretty good lax doesn't cut it

This fool agrees. The whole point of the original comment was that the student athlete should work just as hard at getting good/great grades as they do at lax. A heck of a lot more doors will open for the great student that is good at lax then the average student who is a great lax player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The question I have is are you better going to an Ivy and being in the bottom half of your graduating class or are you better off going to say ASU/Clemson etc and graduating at the to of your class. I have heard too many people act like just getting a degree from an IVY is a golden ticket to future success when I have seen that is just not the case. [/quote]

You should spend some more time researching schools if you are going to group ASU and Clemson together - they are vastly different institutions: ASU is 2x the size and Clemson has a much higher ranking. You want to place your child in the best position for them to excel - making sure the school has the program for whatever career they choose to pursue. If you’re just chasing a name brand, you are doing your child a disservice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
L
The question I have is are you better going to an Ivy and being in the bottom half of your graduating class or are you better off going to say ASU/Clemson etc and graduating at the to of your class. I have heard too many people act like just getting a degree from an IVY is a golden ticket to future success when I have seen that is just not the case.

You should spend some more time researching schools if you are going to group ASU and Clemson together - they are vastly different institutions: ASU is 2x the size and Clemson has a much higher ranking. You want to place your child in the best position for them to excel - making sure the school has the program for whatever career they choose to pursue. If you’re just chasing a name brand, you are doing your child a disservice.[/quote]

You are such a hammerhead .First off those schools were used because they are somewhat a representation of a good ( not near Ivy) academic reputation and one a little lower. Second the size of the school has little to do with the conversation and saying Clemson has a much higher ranking is just ignorant especially when ou go on to say the program they choose is important . Using your evaluation ASU has a much higher ranked business school than Clemson .You obviously either think Clemson is some highly regarded academic school or that ASU is essentially a community college, both those thoughts are just uneducated .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
L
The question I have is are you better going to an Ivy and being in the bottom half of your graduating class or are you better off going to say ASU/Clemson etc and graduating at the to of your class. I have heard too many people act like just getting a degree from an IVY is a golden ticket to future success when I have seen that is just not the case.

You should spend some more time researching schools if you are going to group ASU and Clemson together - they are vastly different institutions: ASU is 2x the size and Clemson has a much higher ranking. You want to place your child in the best position for them to excel - making sure the school has the program for whatever career they choose to pursue. If you’re just chasing a name brand, you are doing your child a disservice.

You are such a hammerhead .First off those schools were used because they are somewhat a representation of a good ( not near Ivy) academic reputation and one a little lower. Second the size of the school has little to do with the conversation and saying Clemson has a much higher ranking is just ignorant especially when ou go on to say the program they choose is important . Using your evaluation ASU has a much higher ranked business school than Clemson .You obviously either think Clemson is some highly regarded academic school or that ASU is essentially a community college, both those thoughts are just uneducated .[/quote]

And also, since this is a lacrosse board, it's probably worth mentioning that Clemson doesn't even have a lacrosse team....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote]

And also, since this is a lacrosse board, it's probably worth mentioning that Clemson doesn't even have a lacrosse team....[/quote]

LOLZ

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going to an Ivy provides you with access to better jobs in various fields especially finance, media, law. This is an antidote but a girl in our HS ( Top 2 program in Nassau). Got into Harvard with a B average (no clue what her SATs were) studied PHILOSPHY!!!! Went to work at Goldman Sachs for 5-7 years and now is the head of trading at a $20 billion head fund. I work with a girl who went to a mid tier Ivy and frankly admits to me that she would not have gotten in with out lax. She is a portfolio manager. ALL that banks and investment management houses will not look at you for a front offfice whole without pedigree. PERIOD. Ivy gets you that initial access. All this being said.. I am a believer that hard work evens things out throughout life

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can the desperate 2021 moms stop posting on social media every time they shell out money to sent their mediocre daughter to some college so it looks like these schools have any interest. A few in this group go to every camp possible , they should have just saved their money ,their kids tuition would be paid for .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going to an Ivy provides you with access to better jobs in various fields especially finance, media, law. This is an antidote but a girl in our HS ( Top 2 program in Nassau). Got into Harvard with a B average (no clue what her SATs were) studied PHILOSPHY!!!! Went to work at Goldman Sachs for 5-7 years and now is the head of trading at a $20 billion head fund. I work with a girl who went to a mid tier Ivy and frankly admits to me that she would not have gotten in with out lax. She is a portfolio manager. ALL that banks and investment management houses will not look at you for a front offfice whole without pedigree. PERIOD. Ivy gets you that initial access. All this being said.. I am a believer that hard work evens things out throughout life

Anecdote?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jealous much!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Anecdote?

Hedge fund?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You aren't getting into an Ivy without hard work.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Anecdote?

Hedge fund?

Sorry.. Iphone spellcheck.. yes to both. Thanks!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm a believer that if your father, grandfather or uncle is a managing partner at Goldman you will get a job, same goes for the mythical hedge fund job you referenced

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm a believer that if your father, grandfather or uncle is a managing partner at Goldman you will get a job, same goes for the mythical hedge fund job you referenced

He who says he can and he who says he can't are both usually right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

it’s really uninformed & inept if you don’t think an ivy education provides one access to better jobs and a better network that you wouldn’t otherwise have at other schools. Tell Becky to submit her Fairfield resume to one of the banks or HFs in the city and come back to me with results.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From Manhasset to Montauk... regardless of where you live I don’t see why you would not want to play here. After finally reading through the entire thread and also looking at the Colleges that this club feeds into I have made the decision to have my girls play here. However, I am unsure at which point I should move from my local club to YJ. what do you guys genuinely think? We have played with a local club from K- 5th grade. Should we make the move for 6th, 7th, or 8th grade? Definitely want them to get exposure to better competition and a more competitive environment before they get into HS. Appreciate any insight.

Like Reply Quote
Page 313 of 327 1 2 311 312 313 314 315 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard