BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: fl$ Lawsuit
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
$1.7m for a company name and a list of "yearly free agent players and coaches"

watch HBO Real sports this month. Talks about the insanity that is the cost of youth sports that's leads to NOTHING....

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
For those watching at home - an update on the court case.

As you may recall, according to Jahelka, Winkoff agreed to purchase FLG for $1.75MM, structures as $750K in cash and $1MM paid out on a monthly basis via a 10 year consulting agreement which was to be paid regardless of whether or not services were rendered.

In FLG's latest filings, Winkoff claims that he never agreed to paying $1.75MM for the business but rather agreed to pay $750K because the business itself is worth "less than" $1.5MM. He was tricked into signing the consulting agreement because it was worded ambiguously and he didn't understand it.

Two motions waiting for the judge - one to dismiss the claim against the lawyers who drew up the deal (who said they were not representing either party but rather were just memorializing the deal) and another for summary judgement against FLG.

Assuming no more delays, we'll have an answer to the above before Christmas.

So is the tuition going up?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Both will be tossed and and business will carry on as usual. Bank on it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the Chaminade feud was that the flg kids are supposed to be committed to FLG for the 6 week and only 6 week tournament season and they let you attend everything else ad hoc to accommodate kids other interest/sports and commitments. Chaminade decided to enter a tournament and it was expected all the kids go with Chaminade. It stripped the flg team to barely able to field a team screwing their teammates that they had made a commitment to and they were given an ultimatum-rightly so in my view. Any other 46 weeks out of the year, but not their 6 in week season...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the Chaminade feud was that the flg kids are supposed to be committed to FLG for the 6 week and only 6 week tournament season and they let you attend everything else ad hoc to accommodate kids other interest/sports and commitments. Chaminade decided to enter a tournament and it was expected all the kids go with Chaminade. It stripped the flg team to barely able to field a team screwing their teammates that they had made a commitment to and they were given an ultimatum-rightly so in my view. Any other 46 weeks out of the year, but not their 6 in week season...

awwww you pathetic lost!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You forgot to mention that the CHS coach eventually forbade any Chaminade players from playing for this travel team. Not sure if that is still the case, but getting into a fight with one of the top 2 catholic school coaches on LI probably not a good way to grow a youth lacrosse business.
But, I think the thing that really has hurt them, at least in my boys grade, is that the program likes to "turn over" or cut half the team almost every year. They end up alienating a lot of people. This youth sports business runs on word of mouth. It's a people business. Acting like an jerk makes people not like you or your business.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"But, I think the thing that really has hurt them, at least in my boys grade, is that the program likes to "turn over" or cut half the team almost every year. They end up alienating a lot of people."

Exactly our experience. Fell for and bought into the whole "Studlete" BS for a few seasons only to find out that FLG really doesn't practice what it preaches. They continue to go above and beyond by broadcasting how invested they are in instilling values and shaping the lives of young lax players. The irony of them now being sued for the reason(s) that they are is priceless.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2 cents.......If FLG or any club is being counted on to "instill values and shape lives of young lax players" then the PARENTS have failed. The last thing any parent should do is count on some "club lacrosse coach" to instill life values.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2 cents.......If FLG or any club is being counted on to "instill values and shape lives of young lax players" then the PARENTS have failed. The last thing any parent should do is count on some "club lacrosse coach" to instill life values.

Put your 2 cents back in your pocket. There was no implication of counting on that. It’s what they preach. If you played for them you would know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the Chaminade coach forbade players for playing for FLG. Shocker. What else happens due to this? Players get driven toward Express... conflict of interest there? Certainly seems convenient.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turnover for the most part is due to the helicopter parents maneuvering to find a team where their kid will be the star...you'd think by the fourth team they would've figured out it is what it is...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone throws money at these programs like lemmings. Get a tutor for your kid and get them off the wall. It will serve them better for college and beyond. Im sure parents could replace their sideline drinking buddies with actual real and loyal friends if they tried

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Put your 2 cents back in your pocket. There was no implication of counting on that. It’s what they preach. If you played for them you would know.

And there you have it.....I didn't and wouldn't have my kid play for them. You will need my 2 cents to cover the yearly fee that FLG charges which is highly overpriced. Have a Merry Christmas.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FLG made a deal with a bunch of Manhasset daddies only to see them cut and run (big surprise) for Turtlea. How did that work out? Not quite Tenacious Turtles of old despite all the predictions of greatness! FLG jumped the shark. They used to have some good teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turnover for the most part is due to the helicopter parents maneuvering to find a team where their kid will be the star...you'd think by the fourth team they would've figured out it is what it is...

Dumbest post I've ever heard. If your son stays on a team during the recruiting years where he is not a starter or major contributor, you're wasting your money and your kids time. Particularly if you honestly believe your son is a D1 player and has D1 aspirations. Been though the process twice. Last son was on four teams. First one, the Coaches kid played same position. Need I say more? Next one (FLG) was cut after leading the team in scoring for a GC kid that never got a D1 sniff. Next team he was a superstar and received high D1 interest, Director was clueless and could not "get coaches on the phone". Last and final was fantastic, plenty of top 25 interest, Ivy and Patriot. Coach and Director in constant contact with College Coaches. Kid landed at perfect fit for him academically and athletically, with great $$$ athletic scholarship. Unless your kid is the next, Rabil, Thompson or Baptise you had better be a Helicopter parent and take control of the recruiting process. If you think a 16 year old has any clue of what he's actually doing in this process you're more naïve than him. These Coaches are cut throat and will eat your kid alive if you're asleep at the switch. And yes, keep moving travel teams until you find one where the support and fit are right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dumbest post I've ever heard. If your son stays on a team during the recruiting years where he is not a starter or major contributor, you're wasting your money and your kids time. Particularly if you honestly believe your son is a D1 player and has D1 aspirations. Been though the process twice. Last son was on four teams. First one, the Coaches kid played same position. Need I say more? Next one (FLG) was cut after leading the team in scoring for a GC kid that never got a D1 sniff. Next team he was a superstar and received high D1 interest, Director was clueless and could not "get coaches on the phone". Last and final was fantastic, plenty of top 25 interest, Ivy and Patriot. Coach and Director in constant contact with College Coaches. Kid landed at perfect fit for him academically and athletically, with great $$$ athletic scholarship. Unless your kid is the next, Rabil, Thompson or Baptise you had better be a Helicopter parent and take control of the recruiting process. If you think a 16 year old has any clue of what he's actually doing in this process you're more naïve than him. These Coaches are cut throat and will eat your kid alive if you're asleep at the switch. And yes, keep moving travel teams until you find one where the support and fit are right.

Agreed!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad it worked out.

In most cases if your kid is not a star he will continue to not be a star no matter where you move him. But people will keep blaming the program when their kid is not recruited-maybe he just isn't as good a player as his Mom and Dad think he is or want him to be. Few people look in the mirror these days when its so easy to just dump the blame on some other entity.

There my $.02 you can put towards the FL$ fee.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The above post kind of shows why this sport is despised by most casual players and parents. The me first, I gotta get mine because my kid needs or better yet I NEED as a parent for my kid to get recruited. To heck with the team or my teammates its all about me! And everyone wonders why their are ball hogs?

Lacrosse is a great team sport. To the two posters above, remember that because lacrosse is a dead end sport so do you want your kid to be remembered as a good teammate or a donk with the crazy parents?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"The above post "

Assume you are referring to the post that begins "dumbest post I have ever..."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Should be more leaving less staying. "If your kid is not a star he will continue to be not a star no matter where you move him..." Yet if you don't move him you already have your answer. Vague promises? Program reputation? Leave! Find somewhere to play. Loyalty of program to player is near zero. It should be returned in kind.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not a star on Team X. Move to team Y;still not a star. Move to team Z; nope still not a star. Drop down to B program; ah, at least he is on man up now. Where's my scholarship???? Delusional.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So stay on team X is your answer. Idiotic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its not the program! It's your kid! He is what he is!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its not the program! It's your kid! He is what he is!

I think you are right......BUT there are cases of kids who flourish under different coaching. Sometimes a kid just needs a fresh start with a new coach. At all levels (even the pros ) players can sometimes really take off when they change their scenery.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merging FLG and Outlaws would be a great idea.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merging FLG and Outlaws would be a great idea.

The clash of parents would be epic....tats vs. totes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL. Some lower back tats for the flg moms and some pastels and sleeves with shirts for the Outlaw folks. Funny.

"I think you are right......BUT there are cases of kids who flourish under different coaching. Sometimes a kid just needs a fresh start with a new coach. At all levels (even the pros ) players can sometimes really take off when they change their scenery."

I can agree with the above statement.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club matters..... a lot. You think all those kids committing from top clubs are the best? Some definitely are, but others not so much. If you are not seen you cannot get recruited. Terps, 91, Legacy got to the top events and have pull to get kids into Showtime and other top events. Getting into Showtime is perhaps the most important. Kids who do well there get pursued heavily after 9/1. FLG jdo ant seem to have that kind of pull anymore.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club matters..... a lot. You think all those kids committing from top clubs are the best? Some definitely are, but others not so much. If you are not seen you cannot get recruited. Terps, 91, Legacy got to the top events and have pull to get kids into Showtime and other top events. Getting into Showtime is perhaps the most important. Kids who do well there get pursued heavily after 9/1. FLG jdo ant seem to have that kind of pull anymore.

Completely disagree. Yes a club gets more looks. Its easier to make to the NFL playing on Alabama with 12mplayers drafted last year than it was for Carson Wentz to make it to the pro's coming out of North Dakota HOWEVER if your kid is on Alabama and doesn't see the field or only plays when they are up by 30 do you think scouts like that? If your kid is above average its better for him to be the "man" on a B team/club no question (but you will have to work a little harder with colleges to get a look). Good coaches know talent. Lazy coaches just look at the big name clubs. And not to burst your bubble but the average tenure of college lacrosse coaches except for the big guys is about 2 years which means the vast majority of players will play for a different coach than recruits them. PICK A SCHOOL that you ant to be at if you stop playing lacrosse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whats going on with this lawsuit?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pioneer submitted a motion for summary judgement that was marked fully submitted on the 11th. Courts have 60 days to decide.

Pioneer submitted evidence that there was an agreement to pay $1MM of the purchase price over 10 years via a consulting contract. Winkoff disagrees and says that he never would have paid that much for the business.

Seems to me Winkoff realized he overpaid for FLG and decided to stiff Jahelka. His defense is that he didn't understand the contract.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pioneer submitted a motion for summary judgement that was marked fully submitted on the 11th. Courts have 60 days to decide.

Pioneer submitted evidence that there was an agreement to pay $1MM of the purchase price over 10 years via a consulting contract. Winkoff disagrees and says that he never would have paid that much for the business.

Seems to me Winkoff realized he overpaid for FLG and decided to stiff Jahelka. His defense is that he didn't understand the contract.

Terrible businessman. They don't even help the parents with financial issues or family logistics. Club keeps getting worse. I wonder how long they will keep overpaying for the useless storefront.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Terrible businessman. They don't even help the parents with financial issues or family logistics. Club keeps getting worse. I wonder how long they will keep overpaying for the useless storefront.

FLG will keep overpaying until many parents pull the plug on the tuition. Additionally, the court may ask, a person with Winkoff's business knowledge and history of business transactions take reasonable steps to fully understand the contract (deal) he agreed to.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems like everything is just fine, training continues, they are out with a lax magazine (this year its not free there is a fee), and they do a weekly show.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems like everything is just fine, training continues, they are out with a lax magazine (this year its not free there is a fee), and they do a weekly show.

Yes I agree, these guys are all over the place doing shows, interviews with lax sports network, they are promoting and bringing more attention to FLG

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the loss of Mike quick and msg varsity. His timing couldn't be better. There is a market, this is the time to capitalize on it, let's see where it goes.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
BOTC should do something like the journal like NE Lax Journal. They have a much larger audience and every club team from LI which have a ton of HS coaches use this site so I think it would make more sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like business is good. Also sounds like Winkoff didn't overpay for such a great business after all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like business is good. Also sounds like Winkoff didn't overpay for such a great business after all.

or he (they) can turn something around/reinvent themselves with laxpower down and again no MSG Varsity (and Mike Quick) there is a hole to be filled.

Who was that guy that did the li football weekly vlog. I see more and more of that happening.

The best thing for them (FLG) will be how diverse they can get, without just putting the name brand schools and players. There is so much more than Ward Melville, Massapequa and Garden City.

Should be interesting and I for one am looking forward to it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Didn't think ignorance was a defense. I guess we will all see. I do like what FLG is turning into. If they can present themselves the way they have recently been on the Podcast and social media, I think things are looking good.

As for the other side, are they proven cheaters, and their position tainted?

Like Reply Quote
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard