BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 312 of 327 1 2 310 311 312 313 314 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here are questions I just asked my daughter about college. I will use this to narrow down some schools.

What are some other questions I should be asking?

Major: Business/Political Science
Distance: up to 7 hours away
Academy: Interested
Size of School: Not Important
Football School: Very Important
Division 1: Not that important
Academics: Important
Playing Time: Somewhat Important
National Championship: Not that important
Name School: Somewhat important
Private or State School: Not Important
M/F Coach: Not Important
Water: Very Important
Importance of Facilities: Somewhat important
Position: Somewhat important
looks good. We are trying to get into the best academic school possible. Playing time doesn’t matter. She can control ( with hard work) if that’s something she wants

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all, the top 3 academic school districts in Nassau are Jericho, Great Neck and Syosset and truth be told, those kids don’t need sports to get into the colleges all of you are are spending tens of thousands of dollars to get into through lacrosse and chasing a minimal scholarship. Those kids get into great schools on academics alone and get more scholarship money than most of your kids ever will and after 4 years of lax - that’s if your kids even see the field and don’t drop out or xfer since they can’t actually handle academics at a school they weren’t truly academically qualified for. Focus on school and academics after 4 years of college lax won’t mean a thing!

LOL.. have a seat son and let me give you an education. These test scores coming out of Great neck and Jericho have been fraudulent for decades: “Exam Cheating on Long Island Hardly a Secret”

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/education/on-long-island-sat-cheating-was-hardly-acheat on the SATs, they

These people have been cheating on the SATs and most likely their other exams and tests for AT LEAST a generation. and Now with the influx of population coming from flushing, leaves a little more doubt as to the reliability of test scores and academic standings. and Syosset LOL.. sstaaaph please.. seriously...might as well be Hicksville. these are the quality Moms and Dads of Syossett. right here : https://www.newsday.com/long-island...-4-home-burglaries-police-say-1.12875201

OK pops thanks for the outdated link that no longer works from a 10 year old story. I just quickly googled top long island districts and will share a link that actually works. I am sure your district is on the list but you will find it quicker if you start at the very bottom of the list and work your way up pops. When your daughter doesn't get into colleges because she goes to such a crappy school district do you send that outdated link as your excuse to the admissions office after they reject your kid? That must work well! You likely can't afford to live in the areas with the top school districts on Long Island because you are spending so much money on your daughter and her lacrosse lessons and travelling to tournaments and chasing the $5,000 scholarship she will get to play at a mediocre school. Here are some links that are current. LMK if you need any more info or if you need help reading it.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-school-districts/

https://patch.com/new-york/oysterbay/new-report-ranks-long-island-s-best-school-districts

This discussion originally started about lacrosse and the top schools. Though Jericho, Great Neck and Syosset have great academic credentials, not one college coach will be looking at those schools on a yearly basis to recruit players. You may want to pound your chest about how superior you schools academic credential are, but in this conversation they are totally useless. Though not as highly ranked as the above mentioned schools, "set, Garden City, and Cold Spring Harbor are pretty well ranked academically in there own right ( I wish I could have sent my kids to any of them) but also have excellent Lacrosse programs, which does pertain to the conversation, so in that aspect they are without a doubt the top 3 schools in Nassau when put in a lacrosse setting. And for the Yellow Jacket Flunkies out there, this years senior class' best Long Island Players Lindsey Ronbeck, and Sam Apuzzo, Neither played Yellow Jackets, so great players do come from other clubs, so get over yourselves

New recruiting rules mean you have to go to camps/clinics hosted by the schools you're interested in to really be seen. on the boys side danowski already stated that he sees no reason to leave Duke anymore to see any games

that’s crazy. didn’t realize this. Are you sure . So if my kid really wants to go to stanford we would have to make that trip? in terms of camps and clinics, what is the typical cost for the trip say to Duke, Yale, Michigan, Virginia, Noreen dame are we talking 200-300 per camp excluding travel?

Most overnight camps run $600, plus airfare if applicable and unless you're sending your kid by themselves you will also need airfare and a hotel for yourself and pretty much all the schools you mentioned want to see you on campus for at least one of those camps. bottom line is lacrosse is still a money sport, if you look at the rosters from top 30 programs you will see that other than LI the majority of the kids went to a private HS (some of which cost as much as college does). If the school does have interest in your kid, guess what they will ask you to come to another camp or best case a recruiting visit - either way the two of you are back on a plane again

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cmon guys let’s get back to a more constructive forum no that everyone got their insults in. Just a question regarding YJ and college camps as we are a new family to the sport. Does YJ sponsor and of those college recruiting camps like Igloo ( i think Igloo calls it Eite 80) ? Also, what year would you suggest going to these college clinics and camps given current environment? Fresh/ sophomore year of HS?

You can see the three they sponsor at lielitelax.com.

I have a 2021 in the process, her experience might be a bit different from 2022s and younger as she was able to get good feedback from several programs before the rules changed. I would start with #2 summer entering freshman year.

1. I would start with a club team where you get as even playing time as possible during showcase events. If your daughter is a top player, that is less of a concern. Championship events might be uneven, but those are few and far between after 8th grade.

2. This might be the toughest part, but the more realistic you are about the level of lacrosse and academics your daughter is fit for, the better off everyone will be along the way and at the end. This is really important. If she is clearly not one of the best players on the field against good competition then do your self and your daughter a favor and concentrate your time and money at the right level. Top 10 lax schools are probably not realistic so move on and focus elsewhere. If she has a huge jump in level after entering high school, you can adjust and still be seen.

3. Next I would identify 10-15 schools and evaluate for fit across multiple dimensions (there are guides online to assist you). Look at size, location, distance from home, weather, academic ability to be accepted, academic rating of your intended major, lax ability to play, etc. If possible, visit campus. Important question, if she quit lacrosse for any reason, would she still love being at that school? Also important, unless you have a very tenured coach, do not decide on a program based solely on the head coach and certainly not assistants as they can move fairly frequently. Affordability, most D1 non-ivy schools will give top recruits 25%-50%. Yes, a few get more and if you have her, you already know. Some will get less, you need to know what you can afford. If you are under $150k in family income, additional needs based aid can be substantial. Most schools have calculators on their website where you can model what need based aid might look like.

4. Based on fit, I would target individual camps for schools on the list, smaller the better. You generally need to be on their radar to get seen at a 200-400 person camp.

5. Then I would target smaller mixed college id camps, only the smaller ones that have several coaches that are on your list.

6. Get 3-5 minute video, anything longer and it is a waste.

7. Send e-mails to coaches before the camps as well as showcases and summer/fall club. Send your video with the e-mails.

8. If you are a top 50 lax school recruit, through summer and fall entering your Soph year, your club coach should have received general interest e-mails from coaches interested in you. Consider more events with those schools, particularly if they are on your list. Do not be discouraged if your dream schools did not contact the coach, you still have time to be seen.

9. From what I have heard from 2020s, you will get calls on 9/1 throughout the day from interested schools. If you do not hear from top DI school s by then, I would move on quickly. For lower DI you have the fall to get picked-up. Same for D2 and D3, you have more time. Most did not male offers on the spot, came during or after visits. Again, some exceptions I am sure.

10. If you do hear from the schools, go visit top 5-7, officially if possible, on your own dime when necessary.

Sorry for the length, hope it helps....

thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing. Very kind of you. You seem very organized and put together. Is there anything that surprised you or unexpected about the process that you experienced?

90% of kids will not get general interest emails by sophomore year! my daughter is easy a top 50 and probable closer to 25 and received 1. She plays on a top team and many got 0

Respectfully, something is off in the process, if she is top 25 talent and on a top team. After summer going into and fall club ball of 10th grade year, most players on her team have received multiple so far. Not in anyway disrespecting you, your daughter or her club, just not what I have seen and heard from dozens of others I have talked to about the process.

Depends on top 25 of what? Top 25 on LI? Top 25 in nation? For the age group? Top 25 in nation she will be a four time UA All American for her region, schoolgirls multi year team member, and will put her on the Senior Under Armour All American team for either North or South. This would make her the top 2-4 player in the age group from Long Island. Basically she would be the top player or two from the top team or two on the island. If this is the case she will certainly have of heard from multiple programs. Above poster also referenced she was a top 50 player. Could that be a top 50 from LI? This could get diluted to top 500 in nation or even less. In that case, most likely she would not get multiple inquiries. We don’t know what this person was even talking about, apples and oranges.

Yes, you missed what was being talked about. If you follow the first post, they are talking about a top 25-50 ranked college program, not her ranking as a player. Take that range of 25 teams at 8 recruits per team for 200 total players. That is after the 192 for college teams 1-24. So a player in the top 392 in the class of 2021 should have more than one general interest e-mail by now, something is off if they have done all of the things listed above and play for a top team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cmon guys let’s get back to a more constructive forum no that everyone got their insults in. Just a question regarding YJ and college camps as we are a new family to the sport. Does YJ sponsor and of those college recruiting camps like Igloo ( i think Igloo calls it Eite 80) ? Also, what year would you suggest going to these college clinics and camps given current environment? Fresh/ sophomore year of HS?

You can see the three they sponsor at lielitelax.com.

I have a 2021 in the process, her experience might be a bit different from 2022s and younger as she was able to get good feedback from several programs before the rules changed. I would start with #2 summer entering freshman year.

1. I would start with a club team where you get as even playing time as possible during showcase events. If your daughter is a top player, that is less of a concern. Championship events might be uneven, but those are few and far between after 8th grade.

2. This might be the toughest part, but the more realistic you are about the level of lacrosse and academics your daughter is fit for, the better off everyone will be along the way and at the end. This is really important. If she is clearly not one of the best players on the field against good competition then do your self and your daughter a favor and concentrate your time and money at the right level. Top 10 lax schools are probably not realistic so move on and focus elsewhere. If she has a huge jump in level after entering high school, you can adjust and still be seen.

3. Next I would identify 10-15 schools and evaluate for fit across multiple dimensions (there are guides online to assist you). Look at size, location, distance from home, weather, academic ability to be accepted, academic rating of your intended major, lax ability to play, etc. If possible, visit campus. Important question, if she quit lacrosse for any reason, would she still love being at that school? Also important, unless you have a very tenured coach, do not decide on a program based solely on the head coach and certainly not assistants as they can move fairly frequently. Affordability, most D1 non-ivy schools will give top recruits 25%-50%. Yes, a few get more and if you have her, you already know. Some will get less, you need to know what you can afford. If you are under $150k in family income, additional needs based aid can be substantial. Most schools have calculators on their website where you can model what need based aid might look like.

4. Based on fit, I would target individual camps for schools on the list, smaller the better. You generally need to be on their radar to get seen at a 200-400 person camp.

5. Then I would target smaller mixed college id camps, only the smaller ones that have several coaches that are on your list.

6. Get 3-5 minute video, anything longer and it is a waste.

7. Send e-mails to coaches before the camps as well as showcases and summer/fall club. Send your video with the e-mails.

8. If you are a top 50 lax school recruit, through summer and fall entering your Soph year, your club coach should have received general interest e-mails from coaches interested in you. Consider more events with those schools, particularly if they are on your list. Do not be discouraged if your dream schools did not contact the coach, you still have time to be seen.

9. From what I have heard from 2020s, you will get calls on 9/1 throughout the day from interested schools. If you do not hear from top DI school s by then, I would move on quickly. For lower DI you have the fall to get picked-up. Same for D2 and D3, you have more time. Most did not male offers on the spot, came during or after visits. Again, some exceptions I am sure.

10. If you do hear from the schools, go visit top 5-7, officially if possible, on your own dime when necessary.

Sorry for the length, hope it helps....

thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing. Very kind of you. You seem very organized and put together. Is there anything that surprised you or unexpected about the process that you experienced?

90% of kids will not get general interest emails by sophomore year! my daughter is easy a top 50 and probable closer to 25 and received 1. She plays on a top team and many got 0

If you haven't heard from multiple teams at this point and your daughter has visions of playing for a top 15-20 school you may want to expand your options.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it easier getting recruited playing defense instead of attack/mid?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stick a goalie stick in her hand....then rest easy....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Coaches feel, wrongly IMO (and if you want to see the debate search this site), that they can turn offensive players into defenders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Coaches feel, wrongly IMO (and if you want to see the debate search this site), that they can turn offensive players into defenders.

It depends. The really good defenders that can handle the ball like offensive players are highly sought after. If your daughter is a defender and can develop those skills as well as having the size, strength and speed to defend she will have a lot of options. There aren't a lot of girls like that out there, so if your daughter does have those traits it is in essence easier to get recruited. There are so many middies and attackers out there fighting for spots. You are also correct that many college coaches recruit middies to play defense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter was a kiddie her whole youth/Hs career. Was recruited and immediately played defense. At first she was pissed. But realized if she saw the field in college, she would play wherever they wanted. Freshman yr barely saw the field. Worked her tail off and soon yr not only played but started. And was team leader in forced turnovers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thugz. The most hated club out there.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Is it easier getting recruited playing defense instead of attack/mid?

Right on the money. Some schools will tell you they don't even recruit defenders they will instead convert midfielders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Is it easier getting recruited playing defense instead of attack/mid?

Right on the money. Some schools will tell you they don't even recruit defenders they will instead convert midfielders.

It’s not necessarily that they don’t recruit defenders it’s that most club teams don’t play there best athletes at defense. If more clubs played there athletes at defense then college coaches would recruit more defenders. Instead they bring in middies and move them to defense but that’s not what your going to be told by the coaches on the recruiting trail that’s for sure.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It’s not necessarily that they don’t recruit defenders it’s that most club teams don’t play there best athletes at defense. If more clubs played there athletes at defense then college coaches would recruit more defenders. Instead they bring in middies and move them to defense but that’s not what your going to be told by the coaches on the recruiting trail that’s for sure.

That’s %1000 correct coached don’t care what position or club you play for there evaluating were/how they fit into there system. But if you play snowflake on D while mom/dad are dropping $$$ every week there’s going to be a problem and most likely a parent looking to move her.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yup,winning has that effect on others. Then on the other side of the fence, it is the most loved club out there by the players and parents of the club, winning has that effect too. Then it is certainly one of the most loved clubs by the college coaches. This love/hate thing is all a perspective of where you stand.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yup,winning has that effect on others. Then on the other side of the fence, it is the most loved club out there by the players and parents of the club, winning has that effect too. Then it is certainly one of the most loved clubs by the college coaches. This love/hate thing is all a perspective of where you stand.

I am not sure I understand. You are saying colleges don't recruit defenders? Isn't it the opposite ...defense is where all the strong athletes are?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2-0 for our YJ 2024 girls at indoor lax championships. Big game against Skywalkers tomorrow. If we win, most likely face a split M&D team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2-0 for our YJ 2024 girls at indoor lax championships. Big game against Skywalkers tomorrow. If we win, most likely face a split M&D team

Stop. That team is lacking in so many places. Not as bad as 2023 but certainly not worth talking about. Come back when you’ve won all four games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club teams always bury their weakest kids on defense. Colleges look at Middies that they can convert. In many instances on club teams the weakest middie would still be the top defender. Now having said that, there are always a few exceptions where you have a talented athletic defender who has played the position their whole life, like it and are exceptional

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop. That team is lacking in so many places. Not as bad as 2023 but certainly not worth talking about. Come back when you’ve won all four games.

Meanwhile 2023 YJs lost both games badly and are going for the sweep today

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can hide weak attackers the easiest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is so far from reality it must have been posted by Sarah Sanders. On the best club teams, the weakest middies barely see the field. Top defenders are needed to guard the other team’s strongest players - this wouldn’t be your bottom middies. Typically the ‘roster fillers’ are your third attack and middie lines. In close games these girls are usually on the bench - not playing defense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club teams always bury their weakest kids on defense. Colleges look at Middies that they can convert. In many instances on club teams the weakest middie would still be the top defender. Now having said that, there are always a few exceptions where you have a talented athletic defender who has played the position their whole life, like it and are exceptional

Hmmmmm.....so middies whose parents have told them to "go to goal" since PAL and with minimal defensive skills are now going to be college level defenders playing the hardest position in womens lacrosse. Your lack of understanding the womens game is astonishing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So why is Northport wearing yj uniforms in an indoor tournament? In a high school bracket. It’s not a club team bracket. Low class as usual. Oh and the calls are ridiculously one sided. Goalie gets stick checked and orchestrates a poorly acted head grab

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have a list of defenders being offered serious scholarship offers? Didn't think so. Coaches offer for speed, playmakers and goal scorers

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have a list of defenders being offered serious scholarship offers? Didn't think so. Coaches offer for speed, playmakers and goal scorers

This person is an stunad.^^^ Clearly you have inferiority issues with your kid. There are plenty... now go back to your C team and work harder so your kid has a chance. and we know who you are ...plain as day

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’d love to see your list of fast playmaking goal scorers getting ‘serious scholarship offers’. That’s a very short list. This is Girls lacrosse and full athletic rides are as common as white rhinos. Most girls are using lax to gain admission to schools that would otherwise overlook them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[quote=Anonymous]So why is Northport wearing yj uniforms in an indoor tournament? In a high school bracket. It’s not a club team bracket. Low class as usual. Oh and the calls are ridiculously one sided. Goalie gets stick checked and orchestrates a poorly acted head grab[/quote

Who cares, Northport YJs looked terrible and lost. Was the bottom half of the roster playing? Because that was bad lacrosse!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Scutaro twins Freshman at Notre Dame, Biscardi twins commits at Duke, that is top of my head, perhaps it is a twins thing. Anyway, defenders get recruited for top college programs out of high school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So why is Northport wearing yj uniforms in an indoor tournament? In a high school bracket. It’s not a club team bracket. Low class as usual. Oh and the calls are ridiculously one sided. Goalie gets stick checked and orchestrates a poorly acted head grab

What exactly is low class about that ? Who cares what uniforms they wear . Your willing to overlook the “high school “ teams that have kids playing that don’t attend their high school but the uniforms are your main concern .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Again. Your lack of knowledge of the womens game continues to astonish as you continue to post. Mom said" don't argue with an stunad". I will take moms advice. Have a great day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wrong. My daughter is a defender getting money at top school. Can and does play middie but loves d. Why do so many people diminish defense?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wrong. My daughter is a defender getting money at top school. Can and does play middie but loves d. Why do so many people diminish defense?

If your daughter is a stud defender, she will certainly get attention from college coaches. I see many defenders, or maybe parents of defenders become insecure with the position come recruiting time. Maybe it’s the stuff that get slung around on this site? They then try to change positions late in the game. If your daughter is standing out as a defender, embrace it and cash in on the position.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Scutaro twins Freshman at Notre Dame, Biscardi twins commits at Duke, that is top of my head, perhaps it is a twins thing. Anyway, defenders get recruited for top college programs out of high school.
Trombetta at florida

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah That would work if Norte Dame was a top program which they are not. No coach does less with the talent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you can’t spell it, you shouldn’t comment. The University of Notre Dame is one of the top undergrad programs in the world - again, let’s look at the big picture here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What exactly is low class about that ? Who cares what uniforms they wear . Your willing to overlook the “high school “ teams that have kids playing that don’t attend their high school but the uniforms are your main concern .

Embarrassing to the brand that they didn't do better!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Janelli Stony Brook

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They look and play like thugs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looks like you got doubled up by that split M&D team - guess that's why you didn't give us an update yesterday.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure why the uniforms would surprise you - they're listed as "YJ Tigers" on Tourney Machine.

Like Reply Quote
Page 312 of 327 1 2 310 311 312 313 314 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard