BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 64 of 97 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 96 97
Re: Westchester NY Youth Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
nothing to do with a specific boy, but, why would Eclipse take a player(any player) mid year that did not try out and risk destroying the team chemistry that team has built over the last 3/4 years , seems very irresponsible to those kids that have tried out and put their time in

Teams do this all the time. Perhaps your FOGO is not putting in the effort.
There are journeyman FOGOs that join teams midseason or just play as guest players.
Happens all the time for teams lacking depth in one area or another.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nothing to do with a specific boy, but, why would Eclipse take a player(any player) mid year that did not try out and risk destroying the team chemistry that team has built over the last 3/4 years , seems very irresponsible to those kids that have tried out and put their time in

There are journeyman FOGOs that join teams midseason or just play as guest players.

In club lacrosse the program directors are always looking to get better players. Seems to me like they would cut the entire team if they could add a better team. All about the winning brand. I don't mean this to be critical.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In club lacrosse the program directors are always looking to get better players. Seems to me like they would cut the entire team if they could add a better team. All about the winning brand. I don't mean this to be critical.

its funny- god forbid your kid tried out for another program, they woud cut your kid in a second, but its ok for them to bring in kids middle of year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PT 2022 is crumbling after that move,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what move exactly?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what move exactly?

a prior post said that Colsey left PT.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what move exactly?

a prior post said that Colsey left PT.

why would that affect the 2022 team ? colsey coached the 24 team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
His son and his buddies on 2022

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So another team is just going to take a handful of new players?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What buddies are those? I'm sure some other teams would love to poach those kids?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess I'm just not understanding why kids would choose to leave the best 22 team because Colsey parted ways with the organization.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess I'm just not understanding why kids would choose to leave the best 22 team because Colsey parted ways with the organization.

I don't think they are the best anymore.....maybe some of the best players, but if they can't play as a team what good is it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't think they are the best anymore.....maybe some of the best players, but if they can't play as a team what good is it.

When did this breakdown start happening

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wasn't the parting because PT couldn't run a team with chemistry? Colsey doesn't quit on his players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what caused this team to go from #2 in Denver to breaking up?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what caused this team to go from #2 in Denver to breaking up?

THE DIRECTOR. Thats what happens when you always tinker with the roster. No chemistry.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2Way had a try-out for their special WSYL team last weekend.
Will PT and Eclipse need to recruit to have an on-age team.

2Way has to recruit many players as 2024 roster is full of holdbacks- they pick up scraps or from players from clubs who don't attend. PT and Eclipse much stronger rosters and fewer players to replace. TS91 has never entered.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PT last year recruitef 8 players or a 1/3 of their team for wsyl and also had a tryout like this year. Most teams have players that don’t make the aug 31 cutoff, so they hold a tryout. More $$ for the directors.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question for all parents of hs kids, college kids etc. if you could go back to 6th grade with your son, what would you do differently as it relates to travel programs, showcases , prospect days etc..., what was a waste, what was worthwhile. I think this would be very educational.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what do the various local teams do in preparation for the WSYL? I have been told Prime Time does 10 practices and 3 tourneys before the qualifier? what about Express North, 2 way and predators? does anyone have any insight? does 91 tri state try to qualify?

It's a WSYL requirement that the team roster that is trying to qualify for Denver must play together in at least 3 tournaments. So if a team adds new players after the fall they have to schedule 3 tournaments with their new players before the qualifiers in the spring. If you are not adding new players then the team probably was covered by their fall tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son started playing club lax in 6th grade. He is a current senior in HS (2019). Committed and accepted to a top 10 liberal arts school for next year. He did all the summer/ fall tourneys and showcases in 8th and 9th grade (Philly Freshman (when it meant something), Maverik Showtime and others) and tons of prospect days (Princeton, Yale, Georgetown, UNC, West Point, Penn) He thought he was going to Duke or Hopkins or Ivy. Then reality set in that he wasn't good enough to play high level D1 lacrosse. He stopped playing club lax after freshman year. He focused on high level academic D3 prospect days and camps (elite 180, good to great, D3 showcase) where his target schools were attending. And we hired an SAT tutor with money saved from club lax. This summer he chose between Bates, Bowdoin, Haverford, Amherst and Swarthmore. many kids on his path still played club throughout last summer but a few stopped after 9th/10th grade. Maybe we were lucky. Spots for high level D3 academic schools are tough but strong grades, excellent SAT scores and good lacrosse get you a look. Hope that is helpful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what do the various local teams do in preparation for the WSYL? I have been told Prime Time does 10 practices and 3 tourneys before the qualifier? what about Express North, 2 way and predators? does anyone have any insight? does 91 tri state try to qualify?

It's a WSYL requirement that the team roster that is trying to qualify for Denver must play together in at least 3 tournaments. So if a team adds new players after the fall they have to schedule 3 tournaments with their new players before the qualifiers in the spring. If you are not adding new players then the team probably was covered by their fall tournaments.

Its two tournaments or a league....with the WSYL being July 4th weekend most if not all of the teams will have normally played 2-4 tournaments by then. Someone mentioned that play days with in the age group count as well but i dont think those are run by a recognized third party so dont see how they count. Then again, I cant imagine wsyl checking anything.

https://worldseriesofyouthlacrosse.com/rules/

All players must compete with their team or program on a regular basis. Minimum requirements are that players must compete with their team/program for at least two tournaments (outside of a WSYL event), or in a seasonal league. These events do not need to precede the qualifier but must precede the Championship event. Tournaments or Leagues must be bona fide events operated by a third party. The legitimacy of a tournament or event is up to the discretion of WSYL. WSYL reserves the right to require proof of participation in these tournaments or leagues. Players cannot be added only to participate in the World Series.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Word is Colsey is coaching 2021 Eclipse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They already have a coach who happens to run the program...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They already have a coach who happens to run the program...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son started playing club lax in 6th grade. He is a current senior in HS (2019). Committed and accepted to a top 10 liberal arts school for next year. He did all the summer/ fall tourneys and showcases in 8th and 9th grade (Philly Freshman (when it meant something), Maverik Showtime and others) and tons of prospect days (Princeton, Yale, Georgetown, UNC, West Point, Penn) He thought he was going to Duke or Hopkins or Ivy. Then reality set in that he wasn't good enough to play high level D1 lacrosse. He stopped playing club lax after freshman year. He focused on high level academic D3 prospect days and camps (elite 180, good to great, D3 showcase) where his target schools were attending. And we hired an SAT tutor with money saved from club lax. This summer he chose between Bates, Bowdoin, Haverford, Amherst and Swarthmore. many kids on his path still played club throughout last summer but a few stopped after 9th/10th grade. Maybe we were lucky. Spots for high level D3 academic schools are tough but strong grades, excellent SAT scores and good lacrosse get you a look. Hope that is helpful.

My son had a very similar experience. Committed to a top 25 D1 school early, older teammates began telling him D1 lacrosse was too intensive, way too many hours and many were transferring. He started getting burned out from year round lacrosse and decided he didn't want to keep it up in college. Grades good not great so the lacrosse helped him get into a fantastic D3 school and he can't wait to get there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's correct, his 2024 kid is playing up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's correct, his 2024 kid is playing up.

Not surprised - Colsey - DADDY BALL at its Finest. LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well he's not coaching his kid this time so he won't have the same privilege of staging the field to his kid's advantage. This time his kid will colsey won't be on the sidelines yelling pass the ball to kyle. See how it works out for his kid playing up when the plays are maneuvered for him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is eclipse having their annual hybrid box tourney this year at Chelsea piers?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question for all parents of hs kids, college kids etc. if you could go back to 6th grade with your son, what would you do differently as it relates to travel programs, showcases , prospect days etc..., what was a waste, what was worthwhile. I think this would be very educational. [/quote]

My advice to a 6th grade parent would be to be patient and let it develop on its own pace. Don't try to over manage it. Just let your kid learn the game correctly, play and ultimately the appropriate opportunities will present themselves. No need to scramble to get to prospect days or stress on making the premiere showcase in the 9th or 10th grade.

Now that the mania of early recruiting is no more it is somewhat easier than a couple of years ago when 9th graders were routinely being "committed" and parental anxiety was through the roof. Now, kids are not getting any sort of looks until the 11th grade, when they are more fully developed and their athletic and lacrosse abilities are more fairly judged. In spite of what many club coaches will tell you, you truly can be patient, sit back and see how it develops for you child.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have signed my son up for any showcases prior to his soph. year. Being on a good club team is certainly important (and I would define a good club as one that has good coaching, plays a competitive schedule, and most importantly one my kid is happy being on and feels that he's improving). I wish I had sent him to more true instructional camps and clinics.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Colsey landed. All kids are are on a new club and everything is fine. Thanks for asking.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where did he land? And what team is he coaching (2022 or 2024)?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Colsey's at Eclipse and NOT coaching 2022 or 2024.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good for him, couldn't be happier for the kids. Eclipse will now be more dominant than Primetime. Do you think others will leave Primetime now?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good for him, couldn't be happier for the kids. Eclipse will now be more dominant than Primetime. Do you think others will leave Primetime now?

I am glad they found a home, but what about the kids that tried out for eclipse last July in 100 degree weather, paid their money and are now possibly losing spots to kids that are only getting a spot because of their father - seems pretty crappy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only 1 kid added per team. Not a mass exodus. Teams always add additional players if they can help.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I would not do anything different from stand point of club or recruiting We put our son on the best club team and really built his skills. Also as far as recruiting I would stick to with what we did. Limited showcases and spent the time and dollars on the school camps and got to know the coaches on a more personal level. The one thing I learned from experience, is if your kid is a decent and player and can get in the school on his own he can literally walk on to any team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CoachC Says
I would not do anything different from stand point of club or recruiting We put our son on the best club team and really built his skills. Also as far as recruiting I would stick to with what we did. Limited showcases and spent the time and dollars on the school camps and got to know the coaches on a more personal level. The one thing I learned from experience, is if your kid is a decent and player and can get in the school on his own he can literally walk on to any team.

So prospect days you think are a beneficial? did you communicate in anyway prior to those days , let them know you were coming etc?

Like Reply Quote
Page 64 of 97 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 96 97
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard