BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 36 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 35 36
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Everyone complains that Express, and some others, have inflated rosters. Why wouldn't they? If you were selling some world famous hot dogs for $1 a piece and I offered you $2 for one because I wanted to tell people that I got one on your world famous hot dogs, would you take it? Of course you would. It's free money. These parents are making it too easy for clubs. Stop giving them your money if you're unhappy with the product.

Parents will continue to shell out insane amounts of money for a dead end sport. Parents, are hooked on chasing status. Even though, not all, but the majority of them don't even have 2 nickles to rub together, everything is paid for by credit card. Home is mortgaged to hilt, with couple of leased cars in the driveway, especially the 80K white Chevy Suburban for the Mom. Which results in many lacrosse parents throwing good money at bad money.

That’s great lol

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by yaboijeffy
Calling lacrosse a dead end sport simply because it doesn't lead to many professional opportunities is ridiculous, sports are for the development of character. What percentage of basketball players go on to play professionally? Exactly.

It is a dead end sport for the price you pay now a days , in college the student body doesn’t even watch the games. Stop believing yourself development of character. I know JR’s and Sr’s now in Div 1,2 colleges know there parents , they can’t belive when I tell them the cost of these clubs teams and how many teams are out there. The jr and Sr now never experience what we are dealing with.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Calling lacrosse a dead end sport simply because it doesn't lead to many professional opportunities is ridiculous, sports are for the development of character. What percentage of basketball players go on to play professionally? Exactly.

It is a dead end sport for the price you pay now a days , in college the student body doesn’t even watch the games. Stop believing yourself development of character. I know JR’s and Sr’s now in Div 1,2 colleges know there parents , they can’t belive when I tell them the cost of these clubs teams and how many teams are out there. The jr and Sr now never experience what we are dealing with.

So true but is is all driven by clubs and college coaches and will never change

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Have you even been watching what has been going on with lacrosse. They just got recognized lacrosse for the Olympics, there is a new Professional lacrosse league starting up. All good things for the sport. So you may want to rethink what you are saying. They are really making a push for the sport.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have you even been watching what has been going on with lacrosse. They just got recognized lacrosse for the Olympics, there is a new Professional lacrosse league starting up. All good things for the sport. So you may want to rethink what you are saying. They are really making a push for the sport.[/quote]

Some select group of today's 8th graders will benefit themselves/their families from the "investment" in one or more ways:

- Get into a better high school and/or college and thus, possibly, improve their future earnings potential
- Get money from said college (note that pretty much no kids get full rides for lax)
- Eventually play professionally (and make almost no money unless you are one of a handful of superstar players)

Each of those outcomes is progressively less likely. The monetary value of those possible outcomes is, on average, nowhere close to the amount of money parents spend on club membership, clinics, camps, equipment and travel. Lacrosse, like every youth sport, is a money lost for parents. It is probably worse than most other sports.

If your kid enjoys the game, and you enjoy watching them compete, than pursue it. If you think that you are making an "investment", you should probably just buy a lottery ticket instead - better return. smile

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have you even been watching what has been going on with lacrosse. They just got recognized lacrosse for the Olympics, there is a new Professional lacrosse league starting up. All good things for the sport. So you may want to rethink what you are saying. They are really making a push for the sport.

Some select group of today's 8th graders will benefit themselves/their families from the "investment" in one or more ways:

- Get into a better high school and/or college and thus, possibly, improve their future earnings potential
- Get money from said college (note that pretty much no kids get full rides for lax)
- Eventually play professionally (and make almost no money unless you are one of a handful of superstar players)

Each of those outcomes is progressively less likely. The monetary value of those possible outcomes is, on average, nowhere close to the amount of money parents spend on club membership, clinics, camps, equipment and travel. Lacrosse, like every youth sport, is a money lost for parents. It is probably worse than most other sports.

If your kid enjoys the game, and you enjoy watching them compete, than pursue it. If you think that you are making an "investment", you should probably just buy a lottery ticket instead - better return. smile[/quote]

So true. Listening to some parents talk about their son moving on, playing college lacrosse, blah, blah, blah! On top of that, when ask, what the kid will major in, I receive the same boiler plate answer; Finance... Personally, standing around during practice, tournaments, etc talking about 13 year old kids the majority of the day/weekend is a total waste of time and money. If my kid didn't enjoy playing lacrosse along with other sports, it would be fine with me. As a union crane operator, what the heck do I know. Recognized lacrosse for the Olympics? Who gives a dam!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid enjoys the game, and you enjoy watching them compete, than pursue it. If you think that you are making an "investment", you should probably just buy a lottery ticket instead - better return. smile

So true. Listening to some parents talk about their son moving on, playing college lacrosse, blah, blah, blah! On top of that, when ask, what the kid will major in, I receive the same boiler plate answer; Finance... Personally, standing around during practice, tournaments, etc talking about 13 year old kids the majority of the day/weekend is a total waste of time and money. If my kid didn't enjoy playing lacrosse along with other sports, it would be fine with me. As a union crane operator, what the heck do I know. Recognized lacrosse for the Olympics? Who gives a dam![/quote]

You’re way off. Getting into a better college and improve your earnings potential is the best ROI from all this lax money. Hard to put a number on it but the likely differences in post college earnings between Maryland and any Ivy is massive. Changes your life trajectory.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So true. Listening to some parents talk about their son moving on, playing college lacrosse, blah, blah, blah! On top of that, when ask, what the kid will major in, I receive the same boiler plate answer; Finance... Personally, standing around during practice, tournaments, etc talking about 13 year old kids the majority of the day/weekend is a total waste of time and money. If my kid didn't enjoy playing lacrosse along with other sports, it would be fine with me. As a union crane operator, what the heck do I know. Recognized lacrosse for the Olympics? Who gives a dam!

You’re way off. Getting into a better college and improve your earnings potential is the best ROI from all this lax money. Hard to put a number on it but the likely differences in post college earnings between Maryland and any Ivy is massive. Changes your life trajectory. [/quote]

Not really. You can go to Maryland and become a CEO of a Fortune 500 company and you can go to Harvard and get stuck in middle management. Sure, college helps and it opens doors but some of the most successful guys I know went to pretty unimpressive schools. Lot of variables go into the success equation, college is just one.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You’re way off. Getting into a better college and improve your earnings potential is the best ROI from all this lax money. Hard to put a number on it but the likely differences in post college earnings between Maryland and any Ivy is massive. Changes your life trajectory. [/quote]

This guy gets it. If your kid is not in the top 1% you should be sending your kid to a D3 NESCAC if he is smart instead of a D1 outside the top 10 where you have zero chance of winning the national championship - maybe 10% outside the top 10 even have a chance of making the NCAA tournament one time in their 4 years of college - once! It is about academics - (unless you are a union person then this doesn't really apply) and improving your chances to succeed.

Plus the top D3 would beat anyone outside the top 20 in D1 anyway

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You’re way off. Getting into a better college and improve your earnings potential is the best ROI from all this lax money. Hard to put a number on it but the likely differences in post college earnings between Maryland and any Ivy is massive. Changes your life trajectory.

Getting into an Ivy League school (AND PAYING FOR IT - no Athletic scholarships) is probably not the best ROI for a kid who might end up struggling academically there. A close family member had that situation. He would have been much better off in life going to Maryland over his Ivy.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not really. You can go to Maryland and become a CEO of a Fortune 500 company and you can go to Harvard and get stuck in middle management. Sure, college helps and it opens doors but some of the most successful guys I know went to pretty unimpressive schools. Lot of variables go into the success equation, college is just one.[/quote]

Harvard, Yale, UPenn, Princeton, etc have amazing alumni connections. I know first hand how great it is to get those connections. Becoming a manager at Burger King is not what I want from Maryland with my son.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not really. You can go to Maryland and become a CEO of a Fortune 500 company and you can go to Harvard and get stuck in middle management. Sure, college helps and it opens doors but some of the most successful guys I know went to pretty unimpressive schools. Lot of variables go into the success equation, college is just one.[/quote]

Come on. You think the kid with a Maryland degree has the same opportunities as an IVY grad?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Getting into an Ivy League school (AND PAYING FOR IT - no Athletic scholarships) is probably not the best ROI for a kid who might end up struggling academically there. A close family member had that situation. He would have been much better off in life going to Maryland over his Ivy.

This guy gets it. If your kid is not in the top 1% you should be sending your kid to a D3 NESCAC if he is smart instead of a D1 outside the top 10 where you have zero chance of winning the national championship - maybe 10% outside the top 10 even have a chance of making the NCAA tournament one time in their 4 years of college - once! It is about academics - (unless you are a union person then this doesn't really apply) and improving your chances to succeed.

Plus the top D3 would beat anyone outside the top 20 in D1 anyway[/quote]

I would have to agree, one of my son's set his sites on D3 Lacrosse a few years back, specifically in the NESCAC Conference. He felt strongly that he wanted to play high level D3 Lacrosse, so that his entire college experience would not be just about Lacrosse, and attend the best possible academic school he could, to prepare him for life after college. Both of these are both present in the NESCAC schools, which is where he is headed in September 2019. If your son wants to head in this direction, it really is the best balance of quality Lacrosse, and High Quality Education, but prepare yourself, because D3 has no athletic scholarships, and most of the NESCAC schools have no merit aide, only need-based aide. So if your like most of us that have two incomes coming into the household, forget about need based aide. If somehow you have to put together the $70,000 plus it takes to go to one of these schools, either through savings or loans, your son better be a stud in the classroom, not just the lacrosse field. If he wants to play at last years D3 Champion, Wesleyan, or Tufts, Bates, Amherst, and the like, he better be a pretty darn lacrosse player also, because on any given day, these schools, as a previous poster indicated, can run through most of the D1 teams after the top 15 or so. Lacrosse is a great Networking Sport, and should be thought of as that, a way to get into a better school, then you might not get into otherwise. At the end of the day, you also want your son to go somewhere, where he will get an opportunity to play not stare at the back of someone else's helmet for four years, just so they can say "they got recruited by Maryland etc.", and the day after graduation, you want them to have a sheepskin, that will get them noticed in the workplace. One Man's Opinion...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i find it kind of odd for so many intelligent men to come on this site to lecture all of us deplorables about how we spend our $$$ or what college our sons should attend... just sayin

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Plus the top D3 would beat anyone outside the top 20 in D1 anyway

I would have to agree, one of my son's set his sites on D3 Lacrosse a few years back, specifically in the NESCAC Conference. He felt strongly that he wanted to play high level D3 Lacrosse, so that his entire college experience would not be just about Lacrosse, and attend the best possible academic school he could, to prepare him for life after college. Both of these are both present in the NESCAC schools, which is where he is headed in September 2019. If your son wants to head in this direction, it really is the best balance of quality Lacrosse, and High Quality Education, but prepare yourself, because D3 has no athletic scholarships, and most of the NESCAC schools have no merit aide, only need-based aide. So if your like most of us that have two incomes coming into the household, forget about need based aide. If somehow you have to put together the $70,000 plus it takes to go to one of these schools, either through savings or loans, your son better be a stud in the classroom, not just the lacrosse field. If he wants to play at last years D3 Champion, Wesleyan, or Tufts, Bates, Amherst, and the like, he better be a pretty darn lacrosse player also, because on any given day, these schools, as a previous poster indicated, can run through most of the D1 teams after the top 15 or so. Lacrosse is a great Networking Sport, and should be thought of as that, a way to get into a better school, then you might not get into otherwise. At the end of the day, you also want your son to go somewhere, where he will get an opportunity to play not stare at the back of someone else's helmet for four years, just so they can say "they got recruited by Maryland etc.", and the day after graduation, you want them to have a sheepskin, that will get them noticed in the workplace. One Man's Opinion... [/quote]

Thanks for your input......but you are wrong. They don't play at the same level as most D1 schools. But if you and son are happy that's what counts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for your input......but you are wrong. They don't play at the same level as most D1 schools. But if you and son are happy that's what counts.
[/quote]

Keep telling yourself that it is all worth it if my son goes D1. You should go find the tape of Amherst vs. Yale from 2014 - there is a reason they don't scrimmage any more...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Lacrosse is a great Networking Sport, and should be thought of as that,"
That is hilarious! I played and I am still looking for the secret data base of lacrosse networking. If you are looking for a job post college in lacrosse maybe there is a network but 70K a year in tuition for a 5K a year assistant coaching job in lacrosse? Good luck with that. I know Paul Rabil spoke of this lacrosse network in finance but that was all for show. With that, I am not saying it is not a great way to enhance the college experience and these are some good schools. I also agree that they play very competitive lacrosse and some of these players have and will play pro lacrosse. However there is not a network or lacrosse players that find each other jobs. If your son wants to establish professional networks, fraternities (while they still exist) and business clubs, associations, study abroad, and academic networks are what matters. Lacrosse is not a path to business success outside of lacrosse. I hope this helps and why is this a issue in an 8th grade chat group??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keep telling yourself that it is all worth it if my son goes D1. You should go find the tape of Amherst vs. Yale from 2014 - there is a reason they don't scrimmage any more...[/quote]

Any chance you can give us the reason?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keep telling yourself that it is all worth it if my son goes D1. You should go find the tape of Amherst vs. Yale from 2014 - there is a reason they don't scrimmage any more...[/quote]

Ok you are going to drag me into this. Now... you mention 1 game from 2014 as your evidence. So to start.... I agree there are a number of very good players/teams in D3 but the D3 teams do not have the depth most D1 teams have. But since You are on a NESCAC kick lets compare.......lets say keeping to schools in the same area...They would lose most games to Patriot league. The NESCAC would lose to Army, Navy, Boston, Lehigh, Loyola, Bucknell and Colgate but would play close with Lafayette and Holy Cross. Lets extend out to the Ivies.......You would lose to the Ivy teams except for Dartmouth. Now....if you want to bring up some lower level D1 teams be my guest. Soooo....again not to throw shade at D3, and again to express admiration to any collegiate student athlete in any sport......you are wrong about the level of competition. Have a Merry Christmas

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is hilarious! I played and I am still looking for the secret data base of lacrosse networking. If you are looking for a job post college in lacrosse maybe there is a network but 70K a year in tuition for a 5K a year assistant coaching job in lacrosse? Good luck with that. I know Paul Rabil spoke of this lacrosse network in finance but that was all for show. With that, I am not saying it is not a great way to enhance the college experience and these are some good schools. I also agree that they play very competitive lacrosse and some of these players have and will play pro lacrosse. However there is not a network or lacrosse players that find each other jobs. If your son wants to establish professional networks, fraternities (while they still exist) and business clubs, associations, study abroad, and academic networks are what matters. Lacrosse is not a path to business success outside of lacrosse. I hope this helps and why is this a issue in an 8th grade chat group??

the lacrosse network in Manhattan is ridiculous on wall street - every year intern classes and training programs are littered with college lax players, traders, sales people etc.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the lacrosse network in Manhattan is ridiculous on wall street - every year intern classes and training programs are littered with college lax players, traders, sales people etc.

Happy Chanukah

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a fact, although I'm not in finance my cousin is and he says every year a new crop of interns and new hires are former Lax players. He always jokes and says playing Lax is a great for your resume in the finance world. I'm not saying this applies in all cases but Alumni take care of there own.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys can we get back to 2023 lacrosse, now after the fall season what are the thoughts heading into the upcoming season? Top dawgs remain the same, what do we have after those teams?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If available, I'll pay top dollar for someones crystal ball if it's still in good working condition. No starches or dings please...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys can we get back to 2023 lacrosse, now after the fall season what are the thoughts heading into the upcoming season? Top dawgs remain the same, what do we have after those teams?

Rebels and True Blue

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rebels and True Blue

Don’t sleep on the Turtles. We’re going 2x a week all winter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rebels and True Blue

How are those new teams, Rebels and Turtles, looking?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rebels and True Blue

Rebels do a lot of training. 2-3x per week. Team practice plus the winter clinics.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rebels and True Blue

Turtles coaches don't run winter practices. That was not part of the agreement. Some dad is running practice with them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a fact, although I'm not in finance my cousin is and he says every year a new crop of interns and new hires are former Lax players. He always jokes and says playing Lax is a great for your resume in the finance world. I'm not saying this applies in all cases but Alumni take care of there own.

Attending college and playing lacrosse for D1 or D3 demonstrates character and commitment. While getting a college degree doesn't guarantee success as a professional it does improve the chances. Playing lacrosse demonstrates to a prospective employer you are willing to work hard and sacrifice in order to be successful. Don't under-estimate the power of the lacrosse community. So much more powerful than just a degree from a school or even belonging to a fraternity where you only really hang out with the kids you went to school with. Lacrosse players, whether past or present, have a mutual respect for one another.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Guys can we get back to 2023 lacrosse, now after the fall season what are the thoughts heading into the upcoming season? Top dawgs remain the same, what do we have after those teams?

Rebels and True Blue

Rebels do a lot of training. 2-3x per week. Team practice plus the winter clinics. [/quote

Rebels are the outlaws - same team and coaches with new name and uniforms.......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Guys can we get back to 2023 lacrosse, now after the fall season what are the thoughts heading into the upcoming season? Top dawgs remain the same, what do we have after those teams?

Rebels and True Blue

Rebels do a lot of training. 2-3x per week. Team practice plus the winter clinics. [/quote

Rebels are the outlaws - same team and coaches with new name and uniforms.......

Well they sure are paying a lot of attention to their teams by working with them a lot over the winter. I'm sure they will be a very strong contender come Spring.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Attending college and playing lacrosse for D1 or D3 demonstrates character and commitment. While getting a college degree doesn't guarantee success as a professional it does improve the chances. Playing lacrosse demonstrates to a prospective employer you are willing to work hard and sacrifice in order to be successful. Don't under-estimate the power of the lacrosse community. So much more powerful than just a degree from a school or even belonging to a fraternity where you only really hang out with the kids you went to school with. Lacrosse players, whether past or present, have a mutual respect for one another.

why never the talk of D2.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rebels and True Blue

Well they sure are paying a lot of attention to their teams by working with them a lot over the winter. I'm sure they will be a very strong contender come Spring.

Sure....contender with who...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rebels and True Blue

Then who are the Outlaws?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

D2 is a bust. Look at Dowling. What a disaster!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rebels and True Blue

Turtles coaches don't run winter practices. That was not part of the agreement. Some dad is running practice with them.

A dad? Which dad? That can't make parents happy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse clinics; develop your lacrosse skills and IQ with MLL players, college coaches and more. What BS., save your money people

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Idiotic post. Their problems had nothing to do with D2 lacrosse. In fact, lacrosse was one of the few things that school did well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Idiotic post. Their problems had nothing to do with D2 lacrosse. In fact, lacrosse was one of the few things that school did well.

Putting the cart before the horse, that is the problem with all the madness within this dead end sport.

Page 24 of 36 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 35 36

Link Copied to Clipboard