BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sleep Away Camp Players
noangel Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I wanted to get opinions on lacrosse clubs not allowing sleep away camp kids the opportunity to tryout. Several big name travel organizations have already told kids that if they attend sleep away camps they would not make the team, I expect more to follow. Typically sleep away camps run mid June to mid August. I am not here to debate the merits of sleep away, i just want to know thoughts and options for kids who are away for 7 weeks during the summer lacrosse season. My son is a year away from travel (our decision) but its already confusing.
Pros or Cons no bias.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Sleep Away Camp Players
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by noangel
I wanted to get opinions on lacrosse clubs not allowing sleep away camp kids the opportunity to tryout. Several big name travel organizations have already told kids that if they attend sleep away camps they would not make the team, I expect more to follow. Typically sleep away camps run mid June to mid August. I am not here to debate the merits of sleep away, i just want to know thoughts and options for kids who are away for 7 weeks during the summer lacrosse season. My son is a year away from travel (our decision) but its already confusing.
Pros or Cons no bias.

Huh?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would think the clubs want kids to be dedicated to the team. They want the kids that make the team to be at all the practices and all the tournaments. With so many talented kids in every grade, the top clubs have their choice on who they accept. If a kid is going to miss practices and tournaments, they'll take someone who will be there for everything. Also, remember that with the big clubs there is a business element invovled. They want to win, no matter what. The more winning the club the more kids want to play for that club. The more teams they can field, etc, etc. $$$

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From our experience, most tournaments take place in July so it wouldn't really make sense to be on the team UNLESS they play in a winter and spring league. I am assuming they think it's not fair to take a spot on the team and not be able to commit 100% whereas another kid will be able to attend all games/practices and tournaments

hope this helps.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your kid is gonna be away for 7 weeks out of the summer why even bother paying for summer lax? That's almost the entire summer. Most kids go to camp for a week and it doesn't interfere with anything.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know most , I should say all of us nuts but why in the world would you send your kid to a 7 week sleep away camp for lacrosse. Do you want him to hate lacrosse already. ? Bad enough these tourneys are every weekend in the summer , but that's crazy. I've never heard of that before ?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I know most , I should say all of us nuts but why in the world would you send your kid to a 7 week sleep away camp for lacrosse. Do you want him to hate lacrosse already. ? Bad enough these tourneys are every weekend in the summer , but that's crazy. I've never heard of that before ?
Please reread the original post. This thread was not about attending a seven week sleep away lacrosse camp.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would think the clubs want kids to be dedicated to the team. They want the kids that make the team to be at all the practices and all the tournaments. With so many talented kids in every grade, the top clubs have their choice on who they accept. If a kid is going to miss practices and tournaments, they'll take someone who will be there for everything. Also, remember that with the big clubs there is a business element invovled. They want to win, no matter what. The more winning the club the more kids want to play for that club. The more teams they can field, etc, etc. $$$

Exactly. I would add that the club travel landscape is changing rapidly. A few years ago most clubs would not have cared. My son is staying home this year and not going to sleep away b/c he wants to play more LAx. he is however older and at the tail end of the sleep away experience and in addition to LAX he will be attending some football camps as well. It was his choice. I do know of one player who played for a club we all know last summer and went to sleep away with my son. He was not selected after tryouts this year, he is avery good player and wound up w/ another club and is still going away. I think you can balance going away and playing summer club. I just think it easier at the younger levels (3rd to 5/6th grades)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what is so confusing?? if yout kid cant committ to a team (for any reason), why should he take a kid's roster spot that is willing to make the sacrafices to practice and play with the rest of his teamates...

What confuses me; is why you think that you are so special that you can have it both ways?? no bias

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The problem is, if your son goes away for 7 weeks, he will miss the travel season. So he will be trying out for and making a team he will not be able to play with. If he can't play, why would someone put him on their team and take a spot from a kid who can play. Summer travel is about practicing the sport and playing tournaments with your team. If you are away, you can't participate.

Pros or Cons no bias.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello No Angel as a parent that has gone through the sleep away camp thing I hope I can give you some insight. My son attendted a sleep away camp for two years. After trying out and making an Express A team it was his choice to stay home and pursue Lacrosse. The real question is are you willing to spend your summer going to lacrosse tournaments ? For my son it was the correct choice. He has made many great friends with the boys on his team and does not miss sleep away camp at all. Good Luck I hope it all works out

Like Reply Quote
noangel Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Thanks for your totally ignorant response. What part of my post leads you to believe i consider myself special. I asked for opinions and IMHO you are an A**.

Like Reply Quote
noangel Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Thank you for your responses.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From our experience, most tournaments take place in July so it wouldn't really make sense to be on the team UNLESS they play in a winter and spring league. I am assuming they think it's not fair to take a spot on the team and not be able to commit 100% whereas another kid will be able to attend all games/practices and tournaments

hope this helps.....

the players I know who go to sleep away and play on a club team usually leave camp for the tounys. Only real issue for these kids is missed practices. However our club will be done w/ tourneys by July 15. Now my son is not going away this year but if he did he would only miss 2 or maybe 3 weekly practrices at most between June 22 and weekend of July 15.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for your totally ignorant response. What part of my post leads you to believe i consider myself special. I asked for opinions and IMHO you are an A**.

here here. Sleep away lax dad here. Depending on your sons age (as I stated above) I believe it is possible to do both. Maybe not on one of the elite teams but from your original question I will assume that your son is 5th grade or below. At that level there should be no issue with either the camp director allowing you to take your son out of camp for weekend tournys and the club allowing him to miss some practices. This is also why I do not think it is a big deal for some clubs to maintain a, b and even c teams. A B or C team might be a good fit for a younger sleep away plater. Now just enjoy the weekly friday afternoon trip up Rt 17 to go get him and than traveling to Princeton or PA for the tournys. Like I said I never did it but I know some Dads who did. Its not easy especially the driving but I guess its a good bonding opptunity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

here here. Sleep away lax dad here. Depending on your sons age (as I stated above) I believe it is possible to do both. Maybe not on one of the elite teams but from your original question I will assume that your son is 5th grade or below. At that level there should be no issue with either the camp director allowing you to take your son out of camp for weekend tournys and the club allowing him to miss some practices. This is also why I do not think it is a big deal for some clubs to maintain a, b and even c teams. A B or C team might be a good fit for a younger sleep away plater. Now just enjoy the weekly friday afternoon trip up Rt 17 to go get him and than traveling to Princeton or PA for the tournys. Like I said I never did it but I know some Dads who did. Its not easy especially the driving but I guess its a good bonding opptunity.

My son went to sleepaway and played travel lacrosse on a top team, he is now in 8th grade. The reality today is that the better teams even in 3-5 grade prefer not to have sleepaway kids on their teams because while they may come out of camp for tournaments, they will miss the practices leading up to tournaments. The weaker teams will take camp kids if they help them win tournaments in the spring and fall. My personal opinion is that most kids miss 20% of practices anyway just due to conflicts, being sick etc. Many kids miss one tournament also due to conflicts so no different than a camp kid. Also most club teams are now practicing all year and playing in fall and spring tournaments so going to sleepaway camp and missing 6 weeks of lacrosse (6 practices out of 25 a year and 1-2 tournaments) really doesnt impact the team. I think the answer is that if you have a camp kid tryout and he is good enough to make the team, you take him. some clubs may disagree. I understand thye flip side of the argument also.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you feel that a team that has players that go to sleep away camp is a negative experience for the other players and weakens the team and is not fair to all the players that attended EVERY practice, then get on a team that does not allow sleepaway camp players that miss most of the main season. If it means that much to you then look for what fits your viewpoint. No point trying to sway people opinions. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard