BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,812
Posts386,900
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 125 of 267 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 266 267
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How does someone get all county when they shoot 20 for 250

What about the Nassau player of the year 34 points and not even the leading scorer or assist man on his team and let alone was only in top 20 of Private schools and didnt even crack top 45 in Nassau public schools. Its the same thing for a goalie who has a save percentage under 50% and he gets all county.

Stupid statement by a stupid person.

Ok I will bite. What's so stupid about what was said . There were players who had more points and played a more important role on his own team. 2 players had more points on his own team 1 had the same. There were 15 players in the Privates that had more points than him. Now on the Nassau public side there were over 40 players with more points and a few who won it all in their respective divisions. Usually the player who wins Nassau Player of the Year has done something.

I'm going to chime in her. I must agree. The picks for these awards are politically dominated. So many more deserving kids left out. It is what it is. Don't get so worked up about it, because nobody cares about this stuff when they get to college. Become an ALL-American there, where it actually counts as an impressive achievement. The majority of these "coaches favorites" will disappear into oblivion soon enough!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What about the Nassau player of the year 34 points and not even the leading scorer or assist man on his team and let alone was only in top 20 of Private schools and didnt even crack top 45 in Nassau public schools. Its the same thing for a goalie who has a save percentage under 50% and he gets all county.

Ok I will bite. What's so stupid about what was said . There were players who had more points and played a more important role on his own team. 2 players had more points on his own team 1 had the same. There were 15 players in the Privates that had more points than him. Now on the Nassau public side there were over 40 players with more points and a few who won it all in their respective divisions. Usually the player who wins Nassau Player of the Year has done something.

I'm going to chime in her. I must agree. The picks for these awards are politically dominated. So many more deserving kids left out. It is what it is. Don't get so worked up about it, because nobody cares about this stuff when they get to college. Become an ALL-American there, where it actually counts as an impressive achievement. The majority of these "coaches favorites" will disappear into oblivion soon enough!

I know it's easy to say dont get worked up but there are kids that have busted their rears to put up great numbers. They also put them up in big moments who were and are deserving of some of these accolades. It's a shame that these awards are so politically influenced.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know it's easy to say dont get worked up but there are kids that have busted their rears to put up great numbers. They also put them up in big moments who were and are deserving of some of these accolades. It's a shame that these awards are so politically influenced.

Agreed 100%. Unfortunately life's not fair. My kids had to learn that, keep working hard, and prove people wrong. That is the best feeling!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son's coach also was not there, he does not know anyone and he also made it through the first round. He had 4-5 ground balls, 2-3 assists and 2 goals. Hopefully he makes it through the final round. It ain't rocket science, if you produce then you make it. Another starter on his travel team did great, got a few ground balls, forced a bunch of turnovers, but he took a lot of shots, did not pass and did not want to come off the field. Surprise, surprise...that kid did not make it. Other than a few known top players who are already recruited obviously making it through, it seemed very fair.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am talking about the HSE team that was the only team to beat Ward Melville during the regular season and lost (yes, by a lot) to Ward Melville in the Championship.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s good to know only a couple of BOTC posters son’s “busted their jerks”, all off season while all the other kids just coasted along and did nothing but collect post season awards. Also good to know your son is a “points” machine, it means he is absolutely the best player in Nassau. Truth is, every kid busted their jerks. Truth is just because your son is the points leader it means nothing. Who did he score against? Who did he play? Was he a selfish player? Did his team win because of him? Or did they lose because of him? Is he anything like his father? A petty and angry little jealous man who thinks because his son has a lot of points he should be Nassau POY over a great player and fine young man? A kid who generated wins for his team because of his ability and unselfish play! A great teammate too. Just something to ponder you arrogant hammerhead.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conference championships and power conferences are a great idea. Adding St. Anthony's and Chaminade into that isnt a bad idea, but not necessary. IMHO, if you do that their lax programs may steadily decrease. (bring on all the comments of the kids who would have went to the school anyway, Chaminade maybe!) I think it is only a bonus for the publics to play them. I also believe the top Publics should play at least one of them.

I think the biggest point of all of this is, you just dont bless teams solely on their history, but rather, rank them on what is in the pipeline for that coming year. The coaches and kids know who will be good or at least contenders.

Connetquot is a great example. They were real good the last 4 years one of the best in Suffolk A. not sure how the next two years will be.

One could say the same about Smithtown East, will they be good or will they be in the muck and in a dog fight for the 3rd spot and wind up in the ninth spot. They have talent all over but so does upstart Riverhead. Young Goalie with an experienced D returning. Good fogo with some offensive threats. How do you Pick SE over Riverhead? Then you have Bay Shore and West Islip (talk about history), both with great goalie play, returning impact defenders and various offensive weapons. Not sure how you can pick SE over any of those 3 teams. That is why you play the games

The only two i think you can bless as Power Conference teams in A will be Ward Melville and Smithtown West, but again that is because they have returning talent. That doesnt mean the rest of the division will be weak, I think it will be the closest race in years with the top 6 teams.

What has Smithtown West ever done besides disappoint their obnoxious parents ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s good to know only a couple of BOTC posters son’s “busted their jerks”, all off season while all the other kids just coasted along and did nothing but collect post season awards. Also good to know your son is a “points” machine, it means he is absolutely the best player in Nassau. Truth is, every kid busted their jerks. Truth is just because your son is the points leader it means nothing. Who did he score against? Who did he play? Was he a selfish player? Did his team win because of him? Or did they lose because of him? Is he anything like his father? A petty and angry little jealous man who thinks because his son has a lot of points he should be Nassau POY over a great player and fine young man? A kid who generated wins for his team because of his ability and unselfish play! A great teammate too. Just something to ponder you arrogant hammerhead.

Not original poster BUT I think if you took that kid off Chaminde they maybe lose one other game. Take away Pequa FO kid they lose at least 4 other games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am talking about the HSE team that was the only team to beat Ward Melville during the regular season and lost (yes, by a lot) to Ward Melville in the Championship.

Thanks for the 'timely" clarification, I have never heard Half Hollow Hills East abbreviated as HSE, I can not even logically think of what the "S" stands for - I have always thought it was HHHE - and while we are laxplaining things how does a person know if SE is Sachem East or Smithtown East ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There were players who if they were not on their team the team would not have been as successful as they were. Like winning a State Championship!!! Reputation does not make for player of the year. It's the performance on the field. A particular players team wins state championship has 13 points in the final 4 games of which were all playoff games and to become the inevitable State Champ. Had almost double the points with a nice split of goals vs assists.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the 'timely" clarification, I have never heard Half Hollow Hills East abbreviated as HSE, I can not even logically think of what the "S" stands for - I have always thought it was HHHE - and while we are laxplaining things how does a person know if SE is Sachem East or Smithtown East ?

I think if you live in the area its referred to as High School East and High School West so HSE and HSW.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Colts21
There is bias going on there is always politicics involved
It is under fortunate but it the way of the world.
No way around it

The same as the Long Island Showcase. If your coach wasn't there, you had no chance of making it. They even put the kids who they knew they didn't want on the second field with nobody looking at them. It is incredible at how biased they can be, and still ask for your money.

Our coach wasn't there, and we had 3 boys go to 2nd round and 2 boys to the game yesterday. There is politics, but sometimes talent transcends that!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think if you live in the area its referred to as High School East and High School West so HSE and HSW.

for who Smithtown or Half Hallows?

HHH schools are known on LI as HHE or HHW. and not sure about how SE comes into play as Sachem East, need to win for that to happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what are HS teams doing together this summer, who is going where?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All of the recognition / accolades are great. Is it fair? No. Please stop with the "Points" nonsense there is much more to the game than points.

All County: Kind of everybody gets a trophy unless of course you are from a top team. There are players from Garden City, Ward Melville, Manhasset, Massapequa etc... that receive no recognition and they are better than 75% of the All -County Selections. Not taking anything away from the award but it is what it is.

All-Long Island: Great honor and recognition.

US Lacrosse All-American: Great honor and recognition (especially from LI) but coaches do collaborate and selection is extremely political.

Under Armour All-American: Highest honor and most selective. Earned mostly over time on the summer circuit. Competing in and performing well in UA Underclass games helps. People who decide are watching players compete against the best players in the country.

All-Long Island, All-American and Under Armour All-American are all extremely difficult to earn and as with most things in life politics (the human element) does play a role. That said, All of the players earning the recognition are deserving.

As for predicting the future.... of the 2018 Division I First Team All-Americans (there are 17). 15 were US Lacrosse All Americans in HS. (Teet is Canadian. Not sure about Tinny). 10 were Under Armour All-Americans as seniors. The 10 plus 3 who were Under Armour Underclass All-Americans gives you 13 UAAA's.

Congratulations to all of the players who were recognized and best of luck in the future.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what are HS teams doing together this summer, who is going where?

Several are doing the summer league in Huntington. Syosset, Northport, Hills West, Kings Park, St Dominics, Commack, Harborfields

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where can we find the All Americans listed ?
How are they do different from the All Long Island Newsday team ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For US Lacrosse All-Americans (Nassau/Suffolk).

Nassau County Lacrosse Coaches Association website.

Section XI website.

Not sure about the Catholic / Private Schools.

US Lacrosse determins how many from each region. Nassau gets 9. Suffolk gets 8.
HS coach nominates player. Coaches / Commitee vote to determine who is selected.

Newsday selects the All-Long Players.
There is no nomination.

Under Armour: players must be nominated. HS coaches / club coaches generally do the nominating but I believe athletic directors can also submit a nomination.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For Nassau, go to Nassau coaches association.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What about the Franklin Square “Elite” league
How is that going? I see it on tourney machine
But they don’t update the varsity scores

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse
Edward Arnold 2020 Defense ManhassetHigh School
Colin Hart 2019 Defense Garden City High School
Tim Hegarty 2018 Defense Farmingdale High School
Nick LiCalzi 2020 Long-Stick Middie South Side High School
Danny Ochs 2018 Defense Syosset High School
Angelo Petrakis 2019 Midfield Massapequa High School
Alex Vardaro 2018 Midfield Hewlett High School
Max Verch 2018 Long-Stick Middie Syosset High School
Kevin Winkoff 2018 Attack Cold Spring Harbor High School
George Wichelns 2018 Attack Connetquot High School
Conor Calderone 2019 Midfield Smithtown West High School
John Sidorski 2019 Attack East Islip High School
Peter LaSalla 2018 Midfield Rocky Point High School
Zach Hobbes 2018 Midfield Ward Melville High School
Bobby Abshire 2018 Midfield Commack High School
Ethan Rall 2018 Long-Stick Middie Islip High School
Kyle Zawadzki 2018 Attack Smithtown West High School

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AA Breakdowns
Nassau 4 Defense, 2 LSM, 1 FOGO, 1 Middie and 1 Attack
Suffolk 0 Defense, 1 LSM, 0 FOGO, 3 Middie and 4 Attack

Nassau 5 2018, 2 2019, 2 2020
Suffolk 6 2018, 2 2019

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

#1 Team in the country gets one AA and Syosset who lost to Pequa 2X gets two AAs. (Pequa who beat Syo 2X get only one AA).

I guess JC spends more time lobbying for his players than coaching his team. The results speak for themselves.

What a joke. Waters down the AA title for the other recipients who get and actually have earned the the AA title.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dude,
These are individual awards not team awards.
These kids who won these above awards probably would rather have won the states instead.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

#1 Team in the country gets one AA and Syosset who lost to Pequa 2X gets two AAs. (Pequa who beat Syo 2X get only one AA).

I guess JC spends more time lobbying for his players than coaching his team. The results speak for themselves.

What a joke. Waters down the AA title for the other recipients who get and actually have earned the the AA title.

Very political. I usually defend tryouts, travel team selections, Nassau vs suffolk, under Armour etc... Knowing there is always politics to some degree but I think overall they get it right.
The process for US Lacrosse AA is not good.
Agree with above post.

Does anyone know who the coaches are who vote in each county?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Very political. I usually defend tryouts, travel team selections, Nassau vs suffolk, under Armour etc... Knowing there is always politics to some degree but I think overall they get it right.
Agree with above post.

There is a committee of coaches who vote in each county (Nassau was CSH, Southside, GC, Bethpage and another 5 or so coaches back in the day but that has definitely changed). Contingent on the number of schools in your county, they allocate a certain # of AA spots and it does not go by position - there can be only 1 defenseman and the rest all middies or all attackmen. The coaches certainly lobby for their players which they should but 1) the player must be All-County the previous year, 2) the player must be nominated by his HS and 3) the nominated players then get ranked say 1-30 based on the committee's opinions and the players who receive the most and highest votes receive AA and then the next 12 or so players receive Honorable Mention All American and the rest do not receive any other those recognitions so I don't believe that AA is as political as All-County but like anything in life, everything is political... But you need the other coaches to have either watched them play or watch their game film (they have 3 weeks to do so) and see their stats to compare with others and I know that the few coaches on the committee take it very seriously. And I know for certain that a bunch of these schools of where the players go to who earned AA are Not on the committee plus I know a few of these players and they are deserving of this award. In my time and the 5 years before and 4 years after, they got it right so I am sure they got this right with maybe a few players you can debate...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by TM@BOTC
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Agree with above post.

There is a committee of coaches who vote in each county (Nassau was CSH, Southside, GC, Bethpage and another 5 or so coaches back in the day but that has definitely changed). Contingent on the number of schools in your county, they allocate a certain # of AA spots and it does not go by position - there can be only 1 defenseman and the rest all middies or all attackmen. The coaches certainly lobby for their players which they should but 1) the player must be All-County the previous year, 2) the player must be nominated by his HS and 3) the nominated players then get ranked say 1-30 based on the committee's opinions and the players who receive the most and highest votes receive AA and then the next 12 or so players receive Honorable Mention All American and the rest do not receive any other those recognitions so I don't believe that AA is as political as All-County but like anything in life, everything is political... But you need the other coaches to have either watched them play or watch their game film (they have 3 weeks to do so) and see their stats to compare with others and I know that the few coaches on the committee take it very seriously. And I know for certain that a bunch of these schools of where the players go to who earned AA are Not on the committee plus I know a few of these players and they are deserving of this award. In my time and the 5 years before and 4 years after, they got it right so I am sure they got this right with maybe a few players you can debate...

Thank you. I am sure all of the players are excellent and very deserving. Just think it is too much of a good old boy network. Congrats to those who were selected .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Agree with above post.

Political...

JC very involved in NCLCA...

How else can he get 2 kids AA status given that Syo did nothing this year.

The fix was in!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Agree with above post.

Political...

JC very involved in NCLCA...

How else can he get 2 kids AA status given that Syo did nothing this year.

The fix was in!

JC is the president of NCLCA

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh boy! That Showtime event really went downhill. None of the best players go anymore, and is trying to be a money grab for the younger players. There would be absolutely no reason to attend unless you are a uncommitted 2020 or 2019. What a disappointment seeing those “All Star” rosters. Somebody’s making a lot of money on the backs of kids and parents thinking there’s top competition there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Half Hollow Hills High School East (HSE) is the official name of the high school. Too many words smile

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dude,
These are individual awards not team awards.
These kids who won these above awards probably would rather have won the states instead.

Yes, I agree, but that would actually require that they play like AAs and win on the field instead of having their dad make a contribution to the booster club in the back room of the bar where the NCLCA convines their selection committee meetings.

How else can you explain the selections this year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Agree with above post.

Holy Crap you know a lot ! As far as the Nassau committee you mentioned a few by name and ANOTHER 5 , I'm just curious why you omitted Syosset or the other 4 by name. Seems a little disingenuous if you know all this info. As far as being All County the prior year that don't hold true for one of the Syosset AA's or the CSH player so I guess you don't know all that much. Congrats to all the boys however they were named to this prestigious list. Politics and backroom deals happen all the time in these things it just stinks for the kid who got humped.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Agree with above post.

Holy Crap you know a lot ! As far as the Nassau committee you mentioned a few by name and ANOTHER 5 , I'm just curious why you omitted Syosset or the other 4 by name. Seems a little disingenuous if you know all this info. As far as being All County the prior year that don't hold true for one of the Syosset AA's or the CSH player so I guess you don't know all that much. Congrats to all the boys however they were named to this prestigious list. Politics and backroom deals happen all the time in these things it just stinks for the kid who got humped.

Just looked at the suffolk list again... Only one player from Melville? None of their long poles? Did any of the coaches on the selection committee watch that team play? Committee should be ashamed of themselves.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Agree with above post.

How did the kid from Islip committed to Army not get AA?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
coach nominates his player. All the coaches vote. Are deals hatched, perhaps but the other coaches VOTE on who gets AA--they aren't appointed. Are there other kids worthy, sure but if they act like dirtbags in a game they will lose a vote (not saying that happened, but a reality).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
coach nominates his player. All the coaches vote. Are deals hatched, perhaps but the other coaches VOTE on who gets AA--they aren't appointed. Are there other kids worthy, sure but if they act like dirtbags in a game they will lose a vote (not saying that happened, but a reality).

you put it out there so who do you believe got crossed off the list for being a db

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Of the 7 major awards for the four major pro sports only one player's team won a championship

AL MVP Jose Altuve (Won the WS)

NBA MVP James Harden ( did not make finals)
NHL MVP Taylor Hall (lost in first round)
NL MVP Giancarlo Stanton ( did not make playoffs)
NL CY Max Scherzer (lost in first round)
AL CY Corey Kluber (lost in first round)
NFL MVP Tom Brady (lost in Super bowl)

These are individual awards not team awards

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Agree with above post.

Ok so here is an example please remember its just a hypothetical scenario. They look to give out 4 All County goalies in class B. There are 2 goalies that really have great stats and team does well. Regardless of wins and losses the goalies really were stand out players. Now there are two more slots and the goalies numbers are below 45% save percentage. Teams did well but not great, how can that player be awarded All County. Just because they award 4 All County goalies. Basically two sub par goalies get awarded All County. Doesnt make sense. Cheapens the award. There is also political factor in that room. You vote for my guy I vote for yours. If anyone tries to deny this they have no clue. I have been in that room.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From US Lacrosse

Wow!

Agree with above post.

please re-read, he is clearly saying that was the makeup when he was "in the room" and not the current makeup of the committee

"There is a committee of coaches who vote in each county (Nassau was CSH, Southside, GC, Bethpage and another 5 or so coaches back in the day but that has definitely changed)."

I also think he mis-typed and meant you must be All County to be eligible (not last year but current year)

The best way to get a full understanding about this is to ask your HS coach, he can explain the procedure better then anybody on BOTC

Like Reply Quote
Page 125 of 267 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 266 267
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard