BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted!! PWant FILLED REGISTRATIONS, REAL SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWERS for you? Contact us! | Be Part of Our Intriguing Newsletter List and Our Elite Community: Influence & Network with U.S. based Laxers!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,882
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 105 of 213 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 212 213
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Wow!!! That guy had 2 All Americans and didn't even come close to getting off the island. I would say someone has surpassed the WM coach.

Wow!!! That guy had 2 All Americans and didn't even come close to getting off the island. I would say someone has surpassed the WM coach.

Mt Sinai, Northport and Bayport all had 2 All Americans, WM had none. And none of them made it off the island, but it figures a WM parent would go and throw someone else’s coach under the bus, that’s how they roll.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Forgive me if this the wrong forum but I have a question that’s a bit off topic.
It’s about recruiting.
I was talked by to another club lacrosse parent about the colleges his 2019 daughter was looking at this past summer. My daughter is a 2022.
I asked him about “ABC College” and he said that his daughter didn’t fit “the profile”. The profile was that this school liked taller girls.
Do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?
Ever since I have always noticed the height of the players and most rosters don’t carry a majority of one height over another. What are some of the
other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?

Remembered this post from months ago. the season is over and here are the best players.

Here are the heights of the best players in the game. (keep in mind that some people believe that rosters usually round up as much as an inch).

Sam Apuzzo - 5' 6" - Boston College – Jr., Attack
Kristen Gaussian - 5' 8" - James Madison – Sr., Attack
Marie McCool - 5' 6" - North Carolina – Sr., Midfield
Kylie Ohlmiller - 5' 3" - Stony Brook – Sr., Attack
Megan Whittle - 5' 4" - Maryland – Sr., Attack

Draw your own conclusion.

To answer your question ... "What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?"

Speed, athleticism, explosiveness, quickness, strength and skill are some. In addition to the physical traits I'm sure they look at lacrosse IQ, work ethic, attitude etc..

Enjoy the summer circuit and good luck on the recruiting trail.

I took a wider sample and looked at the IWLCA first team AA. They are definitely an overall taller than average team. Looking at the last data that states American women have an average height of 5'3"- 5'4" there are two players that fall within that range while the remaining are all above average with a general average of 5'7"- 5'8".

Looking at all 48 All-Americans, the average height is 5' 6".

The original question was "do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?".

Coaches want "kids that can play". There are many physical traits that coaches value more than height.

The person stating his daughter "didn't fit the profile" was making an excuse. The coach didn't offer spots to other players simply because they were tall. The spots were offered to players the coach believed were better players (maybe they happened to be taller as well).

Curious was team 1 in average the tallest w team 2 next etc . That said I have heard of coaches telling players that were regarded as some of the best talent wise that they were simply too small. While I disagree with that type of profiling as there are some very good smaller players it does happen .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In lacrosse you get all sizes but if you building a perfect player coaches would prob go 5'6" 5"7 In soccer its more pronounced. Generalizing you see a lot of d1's at 5'8" D2's 5"5 and d3's a mix with a bunch of 5 footers. But if you can play theye will find you especially in lacrosse where speed and quickness is a must for the good players

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Forgive me if this the wrong forum but I have a question that’s a bit off topic.
It’s about recruiting.
I was talked by to another club lacrosse parent about the colleges his 2019 daughter was looking at this past summer. My daughter is a 2022.
I asked him about “ABC College” and he said that his daughter didn’t fit “the profile”. The profile was that this school liked taller girls.
Ever since I have always noticed the height of the players and most rosters don’t carry a majority of one height over another. What are some of the

Remembered this post from months ago. the season is over and here are the best players.

Here are the heights of the best players in the game. (keep in mind that some people believe that rosters usually round up as much as an inch).

Kristen Gaussian - 5' 8" - James Madison – Sr., Attack
Marie McCool - 5' 6" - North Carolina – Sr., Midfield
Kylie Ohlmiller - 5' 3" - Stony Brook – Sr., Attack
Megan Whittle - 5' 4" - Maryland – Sr., Attack

Draw your own conclusion.

To answer your question ... "What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?"

Speed, athleticism, explosiveness, quickness, strength and skill are some. In addition to the physical traits I'm sure they look at lacrosse IQ, work ethic, attitude etc..

Enjoy the summer circuit and good luck on the recruiting trail.

I took a wider sample and looked at the IWLCA first team AA. They are definitely an overall taller than average team. Looking at the last data that states American women have an average height of 5'3"- 5'4" there are two players that fall within that range while the remaining are all above average with a general average of 5'7"- 5'8".

The original question was "do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?".

Coaches want "kids that can play". There are many physical traits that coaches value more than height.

The person stating his daughter "didn't fit the profile" was making an excuse. The coach didn't offer spots to other players simply because they were tall. The spots were offered to players the coach believed were better players (maybe they happened to be taller as well).

Curious was team 1 in average the tallest w team 2 next etc . That said I have heard of coaches telling players that were regarded as some of the best talent wise that they were simply too small. While I disagree with that type of profiling as there are some very good smaller players it does happen .

The breakdown does show the 1st teamers to be taller on average but I think the main differential between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams is their class i.e. SR, JR, SO, FR. The six Juniors on the 2nd team are not going to get any taller but they might make the first team next year.

Just like last time around. It appears that some of you want to make this about taller or shorter being better. That was not the point. The point was that height is not a major factor in the recruiting process and that other physical traits are valued more by college coaches.

This fact is illustrated by the heights of many of the best players in the game from many of the top programs in the came.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In lacrosse you get all sizes but if you building a perfect player coaches would prob go 5'6" 5"7 In soccer its more pronounced. Generalizing you see a lot of d1's at 5'8" D2's 5"5 and d3's a mix with a bunch of 5 footers. But if you can play theye will find you especially in lacrosse where speed and quickness is a must for the good players

Most ridiculous post ever.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mt Sinai, Northport and Bayport all had 2 All Americans, WM had none. And none of them made it off the island, but it figures a WM parent would go and throw someone else’s coach under the bus, that’s how they roll.

Go away troll. Doubt it was a WM parent. But I'm sure that you are the same troll who comes on here any time WM is mentioned with your (under the bus coment) .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Forgive me if this the wrong forum but I have a question that’s a bit off topic.
It’s about recruiting.

The breakdown does show the 1st teamers to be taller on average but I think the main differential between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams is their class i.e. SR, JR, SO, FR. The six Juniors on the 2nd team are not going to get any taller but they might make the first team next year.

Just like last time around. It appears that some of you want to make this about taller or shorter being better. That was not the point. The point was that height is not a major factor in the recruiting process and that other physical traits are valued more by college coaches.

This fact is illustrated by the heights of many of the best players in the game from many of the top programs in the came.

How does the Tewaaraton finalists heights have anything to do with height being a major factor in the recruiting process. Size is a factor in the recruiting process with some schools placing more emphasis on it than others. If you look at the original question "do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?" of course they do but they are not hard and fast rules. You are not going to get many D1 defenders that are 5'0" and weigh 100lbs and you are not going to get many that are 6'0" and weigh 225.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Go away troll. Doubt it was a WM parent. But I'm sure that you are the same troll who comes on here any time WM is mentioned with your (under the bus coment) .

Anyone know where to find similar info for Nassau County?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who is the 2019 Liberty Black/Red coach? That woman is a hammerhead. I witnessed berating officials throughout the day at Live, Love, Lax! I personally felt most officiating was solid. Oh well, she needs to rethink how she acts in front of her players. There appears to be a huge drop off between the black and red.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who is the 2019 Liberty Black/Red coach? That woman is a hammerhead. I witnessed berating officials throughout the day at Live, Love, Lax! I personally felt most officiating was solid. Oh well, she needs to rethink how she acts in front of her players. There appears to be a huge drop off between the black and red.

Are you sure you don't mean the TG 2020 black coach?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
(NA) (NA) (NA) Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes a ton of nonsense at the practice last night. It was not a tryout - CR knows who she wants on the team and did not look up once to evaluate the girls. Some of her YJ did not play well and will still be selected. Lots of talent on LI and they are from various club teams.

Why don't you wait for the rosters to come out before you open your mouth.

If I said the tryout was unfair once the teams are picked someone like you would just say some stupid “sorry your kid got cut” . I do not believe having your high school coach move you to a new position is fair as not all kids get that same advice from someone who has seen the evaluations . Seems ridiculous that they could not find an excellent team by picking kids from positions they signed up for .

The complaining is never ending with some of you. It is always unfair, it's always political, the team is always picked befor the tryouts begin. Bla Bla bla... Congratulations to all the players who made the teams. Under Armour is the hardest team to make and it is the most competitive tournament out there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes a ton of nonsense at the practice last night. It was not a tryout - CR knows who she wants on the team and did not look up once to evaluate the girls. Some of her YJ did not play well and will still be selected. Lots of talent on LI and they are from various club teams.

If I said the tryout was unfair once the teams are picked someone like you would just say some stupid “sorry your kid got cut” . I do not believe having your high school coach move you to a new position is fair as not all kids get that same advice from someone who has seen the evaluations . Seems ridiculous that they could not find an excellent team by picking kids from positions they signed up for .

The complaining is never ending with some of you. It is always unfair, it's always political, the team is always picked befor the tryouts begin. Bla Bla bla... Congratulations to all the players who made the teams. Under Armour is the hardest team to make and it is the most competitive tournament out there.

Considering you wanted to bring this topic up ,do you feel it is an unfair advantage for a players high school coach to move that player midway thru a tryout to a different position presumably because they were not going to make the team for the position they wanted. I think it is obvious. My kid made the team and was essentially picked on reputation as she barely played in the final scrimmage as were many of the players. Is what it is but it is certainly not a level playing field based solely on the tryout.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Considering you wanted to bring this topic up ,do you feel it is an unfair advantage for a players high school coach to move that player midway thru a tryout to a different position presumably because they were not going to make the team for the position they wanted. I think it is obvious. My kid made the team and was essentially picked on reputation as she barely played in the final scrimmage as were many of the players. Is what it is but it is certainly not a level playing field based solely on the tryout.

I have seen the evaluators/coaches move players to different positions in the past and it was not done by their HS or club coach (neither were at the tryout).

Your kids "reputation" is based on her ability and a proven track record. The players who sit out most of the final scrimmage are the ones that there is a consensus on.

Not a perfect system but they generally get it right.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
For the most part they get it right but the process is certainly not perfect. One can always debate the last 5 kids chosen. At least 5 girls made the team for the first time and nearly half the team were 2020. Several strong players from last years team with politics on their side did not make it this year. It is fair to say that the coaches are trying to field the best team they can.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have seen the evaluators/coaches move players to different positions in the past and it was not done by their HS or club coach (neither were at the tryout).

Your kids "reputation" is based on her ability and a proven track record. The players who sit out most of the final scrimmage are the ones that there is a consensus on.

Not a perfect system but they generally get it right.

Then why have a tryout other than a money grab or be upfront about it , "these players have made the team prior to tryouts and we have 5-6 open spots at these positions" . I have never seen a player have their position moved midway thru the tryout without some form of connection and most certainly saw two players from the same high school moved by their high school coach this year which is what we are talking about. Its debatable as weather a proven track record should be considered in a tryout and if you think players reputations are based mostly on ability I have a few future cant miss prospects in all sports that say otherwise. Again is what it is but there has to be a better way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What school district was the “move the position” coach from?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It happened after callbacks and girls were told to play defense. Those girls were I assume trying out for Midfield and they wanted to see how they did defensively. It wasn't a big strategic move.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girls HC position @ Huntington HS is open, not posted yet but HS Board will vote in September. Need to be NYS Certified Teacher or NYS Coaching certified as Non Teacher.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It happened after callbacks and girls were told to play defense. Those girls were I assume trying out for Midfield and they wanted to see how they did defensively. It wasn't a big strategic move.

I know of one who was asked to move from midfield to attack.

Nothing wrong with it and I have seen it in the past.

Say what you want but the evaluators do their best to select who they think will help the team win.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Say what you want but the evaluators do their best to select who they think
will help the team win.

If you don’t think politics plays a big role you are clueless. You had a high school coach move two of his players to positions they had a better chance st making the team , just two players from his high school tram and no one else .Again if you think that is a level playing field you are clueless.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Say what you want but the evaluators do their best to select who they think will help the team win.

I know they usually also put one or two true defenders on the roster, then move a couple of mids to fill out the defense. Middies play bothboffense and defense at their position anyway and most are very good at both. True defenders and attackers are typically only good at their trade, and most could not switch from defense to attack or vise versa, and most certainly could not handle the running at midfield. But most midfielders have absolutely no problem playing attack or defense. Collages do the same exact thing, recruit midfielders to play defense.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I know they usually also put one or two true defenders on the roster, then move a couple of mids to fill out the defense. Middies play bothboffense and defense at their position anyway and most are very good at both. True defenders and attackers are typically only good at their trade, and most could not switch from defense to attack or vise versa, and most certainly could not handle the running at midfield. But most midfielders have absolutely no problem playing attack or defense. Collages do the same exact thing, recruit midfielders to play defense.

Agree that middies are expected to play D. Disagree that they can do it well. Some can, most are mediocre at best. They don't understand the slide, they don't understand how to read the offensive player, they foul when they've lost their player and they do lose their players a lot, they aren't that big on communication which is key when defending. Etc., etc., etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You must be a real simpleton to believe an evaluator moves 2 kids to new positions and it was just complete coincidence they happen to be on his high school team. If you don’t think the team was 80 % selected before the tryout you are a stunad .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
[quote=Anonymous]

Agree that middies are expected to play D. Disagree that they can do it well. Some can, most are mediocre at best. They don't understand the slide, they don't understand how to read the offensive player, they foul when they've lost their player and they do lose their players a lot, they aren't that big on communication which is key when defending. Etc., etc., etc.
[/quote

Your kid must stink if she is stuck on defense and her HS midfield can’t do simple slides and talk. Sorry but if your kid had any talent, the HS coach would move her to midfield in a blink. Look around, weak HS teams play their best payers at midfield all game long. UA was clearly above your kids talent level for sure and now I totally get the jealousy and bitterness you are full of.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

[/quote

Your kid must stink if she is stuck on defense and her HS midfield can’t do simple slides and talk. Sorry but if your kid had any talent, the HS coach would move her to midfield in a blink. Look around, weak HS teams play their best payers at midfield all game long. UA was clearly above your kids talent level for sure and now I totally get the jealousy and bitterness you are full of.

Wow! You are just plain mean. You sound like a sociopath. I agree a lot of parents are a bit delusional...a lot delusional but man I guess you don't believe in karma?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

[/quote

Not trying to offend anyone here.... All the best defensive players I have ever seen are midfielders. Coertainly on HS and most definitely on travel the midfields are far better defenders than the girls actually at the defense position.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

[/quote

What an idiotic statement. If you feel that there is not a specific skillset to playing defense that is different than playing defensive midfield I don't know what to tell you. It is completely different playing low defense against attackers than playing high defense against midfield. The slides are completely different. The defenders are the ones communicating much more than the midfielders. Some of the best defenders out there could definitely play midfield. Your statement may have been true when the girls were in 4th grade. You need different types of defenders to form a good unit. You need a couple great on ball defenders to play low. Your other two is where coaches can move middies because high defense is very similar to midfield. Clueless to say that a girl must stink if she's playing defense in high school

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

[/quote

Not trying to offend anyone here.... All the best defensive players I have ever seen are midfielders. Coertainly on HS and most definitely on travel the midfields are far better defenders than the girls actually at the defense position.

This may be true for lower level club and HS teams. Certainly not true for top teams. Most coaches tell you that they hide their lesser players on attack.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

[/quote

My kid is in college, playing D and doing awesome. I DO know what i"m talking about. I've been around longer than you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

[/quote

This may be true for lower level club and HS teams. Certainly not true for top teams. Most coaches tell you that they hide their lesser players on attack.

Hiding a weak player or two on attack is definitely the least damaging to a team. A very weak defender will get feasted on by an opposing team as soon as the spot the weak link. A weak attacker can simply be used to a lesser degree by a teams offense and not cause to much damage to the teams efforts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In PAL stunad coaches hide players on defense and try and have their kids score 100. When you finally get a good coach you will see defense becomes important. They put good players there and they actually coach it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

[/quote

Hiding a weak player or two on attack is definitely the least damaging to a team. A very weak defender will get feasted on by an opposing team as soon as the spot the weak link. A weak attacker can simply be used to a lesser degree by a teams offense and not cause to much damage to the teams efforts.

Don't waste your time debating these fools. Most are non athlete parents who know very little about competitive team sports and even less about building a successful team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In PAL stunad coaches hide players on defense and try and have their kids score 100. When you finally get a good coach you will see defense becomes important. They put good players there and they actually coach it

Wrong....the weak players on PAL played attack. If you wanted to win, you put your best players on midfie and defense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wrong....the weak players on PAL played attack. If you wanted to win, you put your best players on midfie and defense.

Ummm...that's what he's saying.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You defensive parents are ridiculous. Your kid plays defense in high school because they don’t have the stick skills to play Middie, are not fast enough, don’t have the motor , in other words just not as good as the middies overall. In general college coaches recruit middies first , attack second , defensive players last for a reason. Yes there are exceptions but in general college coaches know they can take high school middies that were very good and make them into defenders. Rarely do they take high school defenders and make them into middies or attack but they do the reverse on a consistent basis because in high school your best athletes play middie and your better skilled players who may not have the speed or motor play attack. We get it defensive players don’t get the glory but trying to rewrite history is a joke . Bringing up PAL is just desperation .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You defensive parents are ridiculous. Your kid plays defense in high school because they don’t have the stick skills to play Middie, are not fast enough, don’t have the motor , in other words just not as good as the middies overall. In general college coaches recruit middies first , attack second , defensive players last for a reason. Yes there are exceptions but in general college coaches know they can take high school middies that were very good and make them into defenders. Rarely do they take high school defenders and make them into middies or attack but they do the reverse on a consistent basis because in high school your best athletes play middie and your better skilled players who may not have the speed or motor play attack. We get it defensive players don’t get the glory but trying to rewrite history is a joke . Bringing up PAL is just desperation .

Thx middie mom

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck at U 19 tryouts. To bad your HS coach won't be able make the switch for you... choose wisely.... like you said... collegw coaches make middies defenders alk the time.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.

That’s what is so hillarious . The coaches in college , the evaluators of UA etc keep telling you that your daughter is too fat and unskilled so they just take the back up middies to play defense yet you keep telling yourself it’s not true . Powderfinger only puts powder on his fingers to mask the smell of the BS he has been digging in all his life. Please tell us the programs that don’t recruit middies before defense or even tell us a top program in the country that the majority of their starting defenders did not play middie in high school . Sorry powder but from now on I will just abuse your nonsensical posts because you have proven yourself to be so ill informed .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by lax101
For the most part they get it right but the process is certainly not perfect. One can always debate the last 5 kids chosen. At least 5 girls made the team for the first time and nearly half the team were 2020. Several strong players from last years team with politics on their side did not make it this year. It is fair to say that the coaches are trying to field the best team they can.

Just looked at the list of players that were invited to try out for the US National U19 Team. I think 21 of the 27 players selected from Long Island were / are Long Island Under Armour players. I do not believe that the same people are involved in selecting the players.

If you do not believe that Kelly Amonte Hiller wants to field the best team possible you are beyond help.

UA does a very good job.

Like Reply Quote
Page 105 of 213 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 212 213
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard