BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 104 of 214 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 213 214
(NA) (NA) (NA) Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
"Be specific, you talk mostly about accolades they received while still in HS. You talk about the 14 that played on the U-19 out of the 14 1 has been benched, one started to split time with a frosh, one definitely did not live up to expectations ( though her sister is exceeding expectation) 2 are starters on team that are on a down turn (one of which didn't even make tournament this year) and thats just off the top of my head. and just for giggles, the alternate won Tawaarton, a non traditional teawon the tournament with non of your top 58, and the #1 team for most of the year didn't have any either. so maybe UA, Inside lacrosse and schoo lgirls is really just what people, a popularity contest"

You really are a dope, the Tewaaraton winner was an early recruit so it goes against your moronic argument, the national champs were led by several players that as freshman and sophomores by your standards would have been players that did not pan out and no one is saying there are not players who were recruited late that will successful in college.
Is english a second language for you? The T winner was an early recruit, yes , But that was not your "moronic" argument was it. Your "moronic" argument was the top 58 girls ( Why 58 is anyones guess but mine is that it means something to you) The T winner was not in your precious top 58, neither were any of the Tournament champs, or any girl on the team ranked #1 for most of the year. Now I may be a "dope" to you, but at least I can form a coherent sentence, and follow my own train of thought, both thing you seem to struggle with. I stand by my original statement, selection to UA, Nike, and School girls is mostly a popularity contest.

You need to be able to raise a significant amount of money to play on team USA or USA U-19, they expect you to fund raise for them, some borderline(at best) players raised significant funds and made the teams, others didn't choose to fund raise and fell a little short

The madness continues...

Are you suggesting that they ask players to fundraise before the team is selected?

I know of 20 parents off the top of my head who would get together and fund the entire cost (travel , hotels, equipment, coaches, you name it...) if that was the criteria for making the team.

I don't think players are asked to fundraise until after they earn a spot on the team.

I know they are, I was sent a fundraising letter on behalf a kid from U-19 team before the final rosters were set. Ask SS why she didn't make USA team, she wasn't interested in fund raising for them

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only underclassmen that received all division/ unsung hero at the dinner were girls who's team won Counties/L.I.C's or States because their whole team was there to accept that award. Those awards weren't presented to them they were just handed out to them by their coaches while they were sitting at their tables.. So dont get in a tizzy your kid wasnt excluded.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How some of the top seniors from 2017 did in their freshman year:
https://twitter.com/kennydejohn/status/1007046261663465477

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only underclassmen that received all division/ unsung hero at the dinner were girls who's team won Counties/L.I.C's or States because their whole team was there to accept that award. Those awards weren't presented to them they were just handed out to them by their coaches while they were sitting at their tables.. So dont get in a tizzy your kid wasnt excluded.

When an Athlete works hard and their records show it, it's nice to be included when others are given the same award. So if it's politely explained and is a reasonable response that's acceptable. It would be nice to know what the parameters are beforehand.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems like a lot of nonsense at the UA tryouts . You had players who had their high school coach telling them to change their position they signed up to tryout for midway thru the tryout and in the final scrimmages so they can make the team .Seems unfair to those kids whose coach was not there and to the player who does not make it as a result . I saw the BBP coach move two of his players to different positions during the call back scrimage .

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems like a lot of nonsense at the UA tryouts . You had players who had their high school coach telling them to change their position they signed up to tryout for midway thru the tryout and in the final scrimmages so they can make the team .Seems unfair to those kids whose coach was not there and to the player who does not make it as a result . I saw the BBP coach move two of his players to different positions during the call back scrimage .

I have seen the coaches move players around in the past and it was not done by the players HS coach (the players coaches were not at the tryout).

The coaches want to field the best team and If that means moving some players around so be it. From what I have seen in the past UA does a pretty good job at selecting the team. There will always be a few very good players left off but for the most part they do a good job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
happens every year.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
They move kids all the time in order to try and fill the slots open at attack, middie and defense as best they can. Having your coach there is an advantage and that is no surprise, and so is being known by the coaches and evaluators. That being said, the coaches want to field the best team they can and the process will never be perfect. There is a tremendous amount of talent on LI and it was on full display last night.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are not even out yet and already someone is crying. They should give everyone a trophy at the end of the tryout to make everyone feel better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are not even out yet and already someone is crying. They should give everyone a trophy at the end of the tryout to make everyone feel better.

Bayport, Northport, Mattituck, Mt. Sinai, West Hampton are taking over the world.

Just get used to it. Quid pro quo Shameful

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please the team was 75% picked before anybody even got there. Do the math 90 girls times $125 a pop for 22 positions. When CR doesn’t take down one note when she supposed to be “evaluating” when they do callbacks and 13 to 15 girls are told to sit down that their spot is secure andtjeure all yj. When girls are switching positions that they don’t fly to get a roster spot. And it’s not because there wasn’t four other attack players that were good enough. The talent pool that was at the tryout was off the charts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes a ton of nonsense at the practice last night. It was not a tryout - CR knows who she wants on the team and did not look up once to evaluate the girls. Some of her YJ did not play well and will still be selected. Lots of talent on LI and they are from various club teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes a ton of nonsense at the practice last night. It was not a tryout - CR knows who she wants on the team and did not look up once to evaluate the girls. Some of her YJ did not play well and will still be selected. Lots of talent on LI and they are from various club teams.

Why don't you wait for the rosters to come out before you open your mouth.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I remember the year my daughter went and the YJ girls were greeting the evaluators with hugs. That sure didn't feel fair.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019 Suffolk A Final Four:

West Islip
Northport
Riverhrad
Smithtown East or Sachem North

West Islip
Northport
Riverhrad

Too bad so moving to B

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When an Athlete works hard and their records show it, it's nice to be included when others are given the same award. So if it's politely explained and is a reasonable response that's acceptable. It would be nice to know what the parameters are beforehand.

I guess you couldn't post her picture on facebook.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why don't you wait for the rosters to come out before you open your mouth.

If I said the tryout was unfair once the teams are picked someone like you would just say some stupid “sorry your kid got cut” . I do not believe having your high school coach move you to a new position is fair as not all kids get that same advice from someone who has seen the evaluations . Seems ridiculous that they could not find an excellent team by picking kids from positions they signed up for .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am familiar with CR.... Can anyone provide info on the other coaches?

Highlight: Carol Rose, Kerri Kilkenny, Becky Thorn

Command: Ryan Gick, Matt Maloney, Charlie Rizzuto

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

np wm esm yj nothing yj
don't know any of the command

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

np wm esm yj nothing yj

Ryan Gick - BBP
Matt Maloney - Mattituck
Charlie Rizzuto - Oyster Bay

So counting the Highlight coaches, that's 5 from Suffolk and 1 from Nassau.

Stupid UA. Most think your LI tryout process is unfair to begin with. Why don't you at least try to make it LOOK unbiased by getting a better cross section of evaluators and coaches? You'll make more $ because more people will sign up!! That's smart business. You're welcome.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

np wm esm yj nothing yj

Maloney is Mattituck - Newsday's Suffolk coach of the year. A Google search will probably get you the rest of them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just looking at the 2018 NCAA Division I All Americans. No JMU players named. Some of you will cry politics but I think it is something else.

- Defense wins championships. Through their first 19 games Boston College averaged better than 16 goals per game. JMU held BC to 11 goals.

- Lacrosse is a team sport and a well coached unselfish team that plays excellent defense will win more times than not even if they do not have any players who receive a lot of accolades.

At the HS level, teams that have weak coaches who allow selfish "go to goal" play and do not understand or value of team defense will never win a championship.

The sad part is that most of the parents (of selfish players) could care less about the team or winning. As long as their daughter has her goals all is good. Please understand that not every player who scores a lot of goals is selfish. However, teams with selfish players will never win.

Did your team win?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

np wm esm yj nothing yj

Maloney is Mattituck - Newsday's Suffolk coach of the year. A Google search will probably get you the rest of them.

Gick is BBP/Legacy Rizzuto is Oyster Bay not sure about travel affiliation. I have no problem with high school coaches/ travel coaches being involved as who else could you get .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just looking at the 2018 NCAA Division I All Americans. No JMU players named. Some of you will cry politics but I think it is something else.

- Defense wins championships. Through their first 19 games Boston College averaged better than 16 goals per game. JMU held BC to 11 goals.

- Lacrosse is a team sport and a well coached unselfish team that plays excellent defense will win more times than not even if they do not have any players who receive a lot of accolades.

At the HS level, teams that have weak coaches who allow selfish "go to goal" play and do not understand or value of team defense will never win a championship.

The sad part is that most of the parents (of selfish players) could care less about the team or winning. As long as their daughter has her goals all is good. Please understand that not every player who scores a lot of goals is selfish. However, teams with selfish players will never win.

Did your team win?

Or there was (apparently) a paperwork issue at JMU.
https://twitter.com/kennydejohn/status/1007343544347103232

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Did your team win?

It's been fairly widely reported that the JMU Athletic Department didn't submit their players names in time for All American consideration.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Just looking at the 2018 NCAA Division I All Americans. No JMU players named. Some of you will cry politics but I think it is something else.

Did your team win?

Take JMU out of it. This post applies to 85% of LI teams. Only the perenial winners in Nassau spread the ball around without having top newsday scorers CSH Sett GC everybody worries about their points, don't play in the power conference and get bounced early in the playoffs. But we did have some kids that committed in 8th grade so all is right in the world

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Just looking at the 2018 NCAA Division I All Americans. No JMU players named. Some of you will cry politics but I think it is something else.

Did your team win?

Take JMU out of it. This post applies to 85% of LI teams. Only the perenial winners in Nassau spread the ball around without having top newsday scorers CSH Sett GC everybody worries about their points, don't play in the power conference and get bounced early in the playoffs. But we did have some kids that committed in 8th grade so all is right in the world

All-Americans or not the assessment is accurate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]2019 Suffolk A Final Four:

West Islip
Northport
Riverhrad

West Islip
Northport
Riverhrad

Too bad so moving to B

Sachem East not Sachem North

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
West islip moving to b

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]2019 Suffolk A Final Four:

West Islip
Northport
Riverhrad

West Islip
Northport
Riverhrad

Too bad so moving to B

Sachem East not Sachem North

Who’s moving?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Be specific, you talk mostly about accolades they received while still in HS. You talk about the 14 that played on the U-19 out of the 14 1 has been benched, one started to split time with a frosh, one definitely did not live up to expectations ( though her sister is exceeding expectation) 2 are starters on team that are on a down turn (one of which didn't even make tournament this year) and thats just off the top of my head. and just for giggles, the alternate won Tawaarton, a non traditional team won the tournament with non of your top 58, and the #1 team for most of the year didn't have any either. so maybe UA, Inside lacrosse and schoo lgirls is really just what people, a popularity contest"

You really are a dope, the Tewaaraton winner was an early recruit so it goes against your moronic argument, the national champs were led by several players that as freshman and sophomores by your standards would have been players that did not pan out and no one is saying there are not players who were recruited late that will successful in college.
Is english a second language for you? The T winner was an early recruit, yes , But that was not your "moronic" argument was it. Your "moronic" argument was the top 58 girls ( Why 58 is anyones guess but mine is that it means something to you) The T winner was not in your precious top 58, neither were any of the Tournament champs, or any girl on the team ranked #1 for most of the year. Now I may be a "dope" to you, but at least I can form a coherent sentence, and follow my own train of thought, both thing you seem to struggle with. I stand by my original statement, selection to UA, Nike, and School girls is mostly a popularity contest.

I am not the person that you are responding to but I will try to help out.

The 58 players from the HS graduation class of 2015 were the 44 Senior Under Armour All-Americans plus the 14 players selected to represent the United States on the U19 National Team. 44 + 14 = 58

Someone posted that only 5 of the top players from the class of 2015 actually panned out to be legit at the college level. The person then asked if someone could prove otherwise .

Someone answered by pointing out that out of the 58 players (who were considered the best in the class and were the early recruits to many of the top programs) only about 5 of the players "Did Not" pan out (starter / evey game player). The large majority of the 58 start and or play in every game for their team (most are at top 20 programs). Many have received post season honors. (All-Conference , All-American, Tewarraton Finalist / Winner)

It was also pointed out that the 2015 Inside Lacrosse Senior Top 30 ranking had 27 of the 30 selected to Under Armour Senior All-America Team or Team USA.

It was not brought up but I am willing to bet the majority of the 58 players discussed made their School Girls Team if they tried out.

To Summarize:

Top College Coaches, UA selection committee , School Girl evaluators, Team USA selection committee all appear to identify the same players as being the best.

The girls being discussed are major contributos at their respective schools. Few if any have left the sport.

The facts paint a very different picture than what is spewed on this site by the haters. These players were the top kids in the 8th and 9th grade and they are the top kids now.

Yes the facts most certainly do paint a very different picture than what some would like us all to believe.

BTW, the following is copied directly from the 2015 Under Armour All-America Program:

"This year, 14 girls of the class of 2015 were named Under Armour All-Americans but will be unable to participate in the game due to prior commitments to the U.S. Women’s Under-19 National Team. This group is still considered Under Armour All-Americans in the event’s records and will be acknowledged in a half-time ceremony during All-America weekend. The players are as follows: Sam Apuzzo, Natalie Bulgier, Olivia “Ya” Ferrucci, Samantha Giacolone, Jackie Gilbert, Miranda Ibello, Erin Kelly, Nikki Ortega, Hannah Proctor, Claire Quinn, Lindsey Ronbeck, Mallory Weisse, Francesca Whitehurst & Caroline Zapfino."

Here is a some additional proof that the haters and the nonsense that they spew is all BS:

19 of the 32 players Named to the All-ACC Teams were Under Armour Senior All-Americans. Those are the best players in the best conference in the country. Those players were Identified early by the best programs in the country and I am sure that most (if they tried out) made the School Girls and UA Underclass Teams. The best players do in fact pan out and they do continue to play all four years at the college level.

I am sure it is a similar story in the Big 10 and Ivy League as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations to all of the players who earned a spot on one of the Under Armour All-America Underclass Rosters. Well deserved , be proud, keep working hard your future is bright.

Go Long Island!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Forgive me if this the wrong forum but I have a question that’s a bit off topic.
It’s about recruiting.
I was talked by to another club lacrosse parent about the colleges his 2019 daughter was looking at this past summer. My daughter is a 2022.
I asked him about “ABC College” and he said that his daughter didn’t fit “the profile”. The profile was that this school liked taller girls.
Do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?
Ever since I have always noticed the height of the players and most rosters don’t carry a majority of one height over another. What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?

Remembered this post from months ago. the season is over and here are the best players.

Here are the heights of the best players in the game. (keep in mind that some people believe that rosters usually round up as much as an inch).

Sam Apuzzo - 5' 6" - Boston College – Jr., Attack
Kristen Gaussian - 5' 8" - James Madison – Sr., Attack
Marie McCool - 5' 6" - North Carolina – Sr., Midfield
Kylie Ohlmiller - 5' 3" - Stony Brook – Sr., Attack
Megan Whittle - 5' 4" - Maryland – Sr., Attack

Draw your own conclusion.

To answer your question ... "What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?"

Speed, athleticism, explosiveness, quickness, strength and skill are some. In addition to the physical traits I'm sure they look at lacrosse IQ, work ethic, attitude etc..

Enjoy the summer circuit and good luck on the recruiting trail.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Forgive me if this the wrong forum but I have a question that’s a bit off topic.
It’s about recruiting.
I was talked by to another club lacrosse parent about the colleges his 2019 daughter was looking at this past summer. My daughter is a 2022.
I asked him about “ABC College” and he said that his daughter didn’t fit “the profile”. The profile was that this school liked taller girls.
Ever since I have always noticed the height of the players and most rosters don’t carry a majority of one height over another. What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?

Remembered this post from months ago. the season is over and here are the best players.

Here are the heights of the best players in the game. (keep in mind that some people believe that rosters usually round up as much as an inch).

To answer your question ... "What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?"

Speed, athleticism, explosiveness, quickness, strength and skill are some. In addition to the physical traits I'm sure they look at lacrosse IQ, work ethic, attitude etc..

I took a wider sample and looked at the IWLCA first team AA. They are definitely an overall taller than average team. Looking at the last data that states American women have an average height of 5'3"- 5'4" there are two players that fall within that range while the remaining are all above average with a general average of 5'7"- 5'8".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you - What's the difference between All-County and All-County Honorable Mention, what is all-division?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you - What's the difference between All-County and All-County Honorable Mention, what is all-division?

Listed in order of achievement - All County, HM and All-Division. Sort of like 1st, 2nd and 3rd team but first 2 are the whole county and third is separated by division - large and small schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And the better the team did, the more awards the coach gets to hand out so not a true top to bottom representation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow!!! That guy had 2 All Americans and didn't even come close to getting off the island. I would say someone has surpassed the WM coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s about recruiting.

I took a wider sample and looked at the IWLCA first team AA. They are definitely an overall taller than average team. Looking at the last data that states American women have an average height of 5'3"- 5'4" there are two players that fall within that range while the remaining are all above average with a general average of 5'7"- 5'8".

Looking at all 48 All-Americans, the average height is 5' 6".

The original question was "do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?".

Coaches want "kids that can play". There are many physical traits that coaches value more than height.

The person stating his daughter "didn't fit the profile" was making an excuse. The coach didn't offer spots to other players simply because they were tall. The spots were offered to players the coach believed were better players (maybe they happened to be taller as well).

Like Reply Quote
Page 104 of 214 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 213 214
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard