BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 313 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 312 313
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who was in charge of goalie evaluations? Heard that he based his decisions on warm ups......

Those spots were filled long before warm ups. But thank you for your $190.

Wasn't there but I know some of these kids... I heard about a couple of the Command (2021/2022) goalie call-back / no call-back outcomes and if what I heard is actually true then the above is untrue.

When your talent doesn't match your hype you are left behind in this kind of a thing.

Truly talented + up-and-coming move through regardless of pedigree and hype.

We will see after Wednesday.

True. My son tried out. Based on the players we know, we thought he was
Number 2 or 3 going in and this held up in the tryouts. He didn't even get a callback. Even though his coaches and other had him top 3, our realistic goal and hope was to at least make it to the call back. 2 of the callbacks are head sctratchers for sure. The one kid may have had the 8th best tryout but when the names of the callbacks are released, you will understand and be able to piece together why he got invited. The top 2 that SHOULD now make the team are excellent players and well deserving. I just hope it is those 2 who make the final roster.

I agree completely. It is not the top 6 goalies who made the call back game.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Number 2 or 3 going in and this held up in the tryouts. He didn't even get a callback. Even though his coaches and other had him top 3, our realistic goal and hope was to at least make it to the call back. 2 of the callbacks are head sctratchers for sure. The one kid may have had the 8th best tryout but when the names of the callbacks are released, you will understand and be able to piece together why he got invited. The top 2 that SHOULD now make the team are excellent players and well deserving. I just hope it is those 2 who make the final roster.

I am curious to know how much playing time your goalie got this spring season.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Looking for 1 HS team for summer league either travel to club for info please email fsyouthlax@gmail.com

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

None of this makes any sense. Were you watching your son or were you watching everyone else on both fields? Did you jot down all the goalies numbers and rank them yourself? Just trying to figure out how you take the callback email with only numbers listed and figure out which ones were goalies, how many got called back and where they were in your personal rankings.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

None of this makes any sense. Were you watching your son or were you watching everyone else on both fields? Did you jot down all the goalies numbers and rank them yourself? Just trying to figure out how you take the callback email with only numbers listed and figure out which ones were goalies, how many got called back and where they were in your personal rankings.

Its no secret certain goalies have been and always will be protected at UA. The kids know who they are and those who cant be cut under any circumstances. It is what it is, you just have to decide if it makes sense for your son to try out based on your own situation.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its no secret certain goalies have been and always will be protected at UA. The kids know who they are and those who cant be cut under any circumstances. It is what it is, you just have to decide if it makes sense for your son to try out based on your own situation.

I love the guys who think they know everything about the process. Give me a break. Goalies are not protected. Sorry your jersey number wasn’t listed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clearly some kids / dads / coaches / boosters have felt or have been told that their favorite goalie is "the best" in the 2021-22 group and are now feeling salty and blaming the process. Scroll back a couple months and see which A conference bottom-feeder was popping of about their recruits and their JV goalie and you can connect the dots.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA tryouts have become non tryouts in many regions. If you are a good player and not connected, forget about making team. If you feel playing a bunch of games for 200 dollars is worth it. Then you should go.

Both dont fool yourself or wonder why you didnt make team. Only connected and a few others make the teams . Its a numbers game. There are only so many slots left after the connected players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, I decided to let his HS coach tell us the goalies who made it. Much easier. We all know each other and have competed against each other for years. The one kid who made it, his dad and I talked during tryouts. He was happy for the experience but he said he knew his son didn't even have a chance at a callback.

No big deal really. They are all great kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clearly some kids / dads / coaches / boosters have felt or have been told that their favorite goalie is "the best" in the 2021-22 group and are now feeling salty and blaming the process. Scroll back a couple months and see which A conference bottom-feeder was popping of about their recruits and their JV goalie and you can connect the dots.

this is a great post-

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey. Spalding is gonna be great next year. Just you wait.

sorry, i couldn't find the sarcsm font.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They won the JV Championship. They will make playoffs next season and then 3 straight titles after that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They won the JV Championship. They will make playoffs next season and then 3 straight titles after that.

oh boy'
1st-win more than 2 games next year
2nd-make the playoffs
3rd-win a playoff game
4th-JV is not Varsity
5th- keep the dads on the other sideline
6th- keep the moms on the other sideline
7th- MIAA is not the same has club
8th- beat Serverna Park first
9th-buy a few more tuitions and maybe
10th-let the kids be kids and do it on their own-

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear Lacrosse World:

Next year is the year we are going to be good.

Signed: Spalding

Dated: Every Year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who watched/attended the Baltimore highlight callback game? What did you think?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Didn’t think the talent was there. Both games too many kids trying too hard to do it alone. Was not overly impressed with either game and certainly not the best players in the area. Good lacrosse; not great lacrosse. The event is not what it used to be. Thinking there are too many “elite” events out there now which is diluting the talent pool and the college coach attendance. Kids have also begun to realize that much of the team is decided before they even tryout so not worth their time during finals week, their parents money etc. unless they are connected. Very surprised to see the number of dad, high school and club coaches evaluating. Do they expect different results when all have a vested interest in having their son, club or high school represented? Perhaps have more objective evaluators involved? Really no different from the All MIAA, All County, All State teams throughout the region. Each high school coach fighting and negotiating behind the scenes for their own kids to make the lists and teams-not because they are the best players (or best coaches capable of making the best assessments) but because it validates them as coaches and is indirectly used as a marketing hammerhead for the school or club they are associated with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are funny. Under Armour Underclass is hands down the best event nationwide. More boys tryout for these teams than any other and to say it's diluted because of other copycats is silly. No one tries out for Warrior. Brine is dead and is now called Maverik. People can hate on UA all they want but mostly it's because their son didn't make the team. Is there some politics involved? Of course. But to say that the talented kids don't show up is BS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Didn’t think the talent was there. Both games too many kids trying too hard to do it alone. Was not overly impressed with either game and certainly not the best players in the area. Good lacrosse; not great lacrosse. The event is not what it used to be. Thinking there are too many “elite” events out there now which is diluting the talent pool and the college coach attendance. Kids have also begun to realize that much of the team is decided before they even tryout so not worth their time during finals week, their parents money etc. unless they are connected. Very surprised to see the number of dad, high school and club coaches evaluating. Do they expect different results when all have a vested interest in having their son, club or high school represented? Perhaps have more objective evaluators involved? Really no different from the All MIAA, All County, All State teams throughout the region. Each high school coach fighting and negotiating behind the scenes for their own kids to make the lists and teams-not because they are the best players (or best coaches capable of making the best assessments) but because it validates them as coaches and is indirectly used as a marketing hammerhead for the school or club they are associated with.

Who should they get as evaluators if not high school and club lacrosse coaches? Youth coaches? Bunch of guys from walmart?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree that the play was sloppy and selfish, but I can't think of too many stand out players who weren't there. Every kid was trying to make an impression and as a result there weren't a whole lot of guys sharing the ball or making the one more pass. My son in particular probably suffered as a result. One shot all game from the midfield. As a casual MIAA fan outside of my son's games, I recognized most of the kids trying out and I'd consider them the cream of the crop even if they didn't play that way at the call back game. Enough coaches were watching the tryouts that I think it was worth it despite the me ball on display at yesterday's game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree that the play was sloppy and selfish, but I can't think of too many stand out players who weren't there. Every kid was trying to make an impression and as a result there weren't a whole lot of guys sharing the ball or making the one more pass. My son in particular probably suffered as a result. One shot all game from the midfield. As a casual MIAA fan outside of my son's games, I recognized most of the kids trying out and I'd consider them the cream of the crop even if they didn't play that way at the call back game. Enough coaches were watching the tryouts that I think it was worth it despite the me ball on display at yesterday's game.

How was the goalie play? Heard there were six called back to yesterday’s game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who should they get as evaluators if not high school and club lacrosse coaches? Youth coaches? Bunch of guys from walmart?

I don’t know...maybe some truly independent evaluators instead of having high school and club coaches who also have their players trying out or worse yet parents who happen to also be coaches because that always goes so well? Not that hard- take some of the money and hire some college coaches or switch with the staff from another region. Using evaluators who know the kids there is nobody who can in good faith say the teams are not politically chosen. Just because you say your kid is the best and playing at the “best” event does not make them or it the best. It is no longer what it once was. Your failure to recognize that and that having players coaches be the evaluators is an inherent weakness is telling. Unfortunately even in kids sports, the money flow and parental and club bragging rights gets in the mix. Unavoidable maybe but let’s recognize it for what it is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please share the names of best players who weren't there...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The highlight game was not pretty and it will be very interesting to see how they choose the final 22. To me, only 3 offensive players, one fogo and one goalie really stood out and they were not necessarily the ones that I expected to stand out. Several of the offensive players with the best reputations literally did nothing; did not score or assist. What criteria do you use to choose between them?

I would say the same about the defensive players. The game was plodding and slow and there were only a few transition attempts that were fluid.

I would say that half of the players did nothing at all that stood out.

I know that politics play a part in the process and that several of the final 22 are on the team regardless of how their tryout goes. Nevertheless, it is a lot of lacrosse and a lot of time in front of coaches for $190 and there is no travel. I hope that they work to streamline the process going forward.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don’t know...maybe some truly independent evaluators instead of having high school and club coaches who also have their players trying out or worse yet parents who happen to also be coaches because that always goes so well? Not that hard- take some of the money and hire some college coaches or switch with the staff from another region. Using evaluators who know the kids there is nobody who can in good faith say the teams are not politically chosen. Just because you say your kid is the best and playing at the “best” event does not make them or it the best. It is no longer what it once was. Your failure to recognize that and that having players coaches be the evaluators is an inherent weakness is telling. Unfortunately even in kids sports, the money flow and parental and club bragging rights gets in the mix. Unavoidable maybe but let’s recognize it for what it is.

It's always been local HS and Club coaches. Same with other regions. So why is it no longer what it once was? If your son was one of the best at his position during tryouts he was likely noticed by a college coach - even if he didn't make the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The solution seems pretty simple. The evaluators should be chosen and then they should be sent to evaluate in a different area. For example, Baltimore evaluators go to DC and DC evaluators come to Baltimore. It is ridiculous to have evaluators whose own kids are trying out or even kids that the evaluator coaches. It is impossible for these guys to be subjective in those cases.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's always been local HS and Club coaches. Same with other regions. So why is it no longer what it once was? If your son was one of the best at his position during tryouts he was likely noticed by a college coach - even if he didn't make the team.

I guess you didnt read what he wrote?? If you dont think that there is predetermined players picked , there is no hope for any further discussion. UA needs to revamp their tryout process. Great suggestion above, especially bringing in coaches from other regions to evaluate.

Its become a tryout for just a few spots. Having locals evaluate is becoming a problem due to schools and clubs. It is not just a Balt problem either. The South team is loaded with players the coaches know from school/club or other coaches. That is not to say that they arent good players or that there are some players that make the team from tryouts. It is just very limited tryout now and become tainted.

College coaches? This is advertised as tryouts for a team. Isnt that what it is supposed to be??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are funny. Under Armour Underclass is hands down the best event nationwide. More boys tryout for these teams than any other and to say it's diluted because of other copycats is silly. No one tries out for Warrior. Brine is dead and is now called Maverik. People can hate on UA all they want but mostly it's because their son didn't make the team. Is there some politics involved? Of course. But to say that the talented kids don't show up is BS.

Whats funny is you think no one tries out for Warrior,Brine (not dead) ShowTime Maverick has been around for a while now. All are very good and though you may think UA is the best doesn't mean the talented level is not there as in past years. It was very clear some top talent were not there- politics or not 2020 on down thru 2022 is overhyped players who don't belong - It all will come to light for ya in 2-4 years when we see where al these players who made it attend college-hopefully they will all get to play in college but not D1

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The solution seems pretty simple. The evaluators should be chosen and then they should be sent to evaluate in a different area. For example, Baltimore evaluators go to DC and DC evaluators come to Baltimore. It is ridiculous to have evaluators whose own kids are trying out or even kids that the evaluator coaches. It is impossible for these guys to be subjective in those cases.

Agree. Its like the old days of the smoke filled rooms of politics where the fatcats picked who they wanted to run for office, not who the people wanted.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The real question is which of the remaining 5 will get the final goalie spot since one was already locked in before the tryouts. This makes for an interesting quandary. They probably cant take a kid from the same club or HS as the locked in player. Can the second goalie be the same graduating year as the first one? Probably not as that would look bad too. The final spot probably comes down to process of elimination more than anything else. Sad because they cannot take the actual 2 best from the overall tryout. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear how those conversations go in the coaches huddle.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is actually a terrible idea. The evaluators are trying to choose the best players in the area to field the most competitive team to represent Baltimore. Players are chosen not only on the tryout but their overall body of work as they should be. Brendan Grimes had an ok tryout yesterday, imagine someone not knowing him and not selecting him. Even though he was one the best attackmen in the country and had a phenomenal spring season. That's why people who know the players select the team. Want to make the team? Then be consistently one of the best players in your region over the spring and summer, not just for a 2 day tryout.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Whats funny is you think no one tries out for Warrior,Brine (not dead) ShowTime Maverick has been around for a while now. All are very good and though you may think UA is the best doesn't mean the talented level is not there as in past years. It was very clear some top talent were not there- politics or not 2020 on down thru 2022 is overhyped players who don't belong - It all will come to light for ya in 2-4 years when we see where al these players who made it attend college-hopefully they will all get to play in college but not D1

Please name of the top players in Baltimore that didn't show up. Just one player that should be on the team that didn't come to tryout.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is actually a terrible idea. The evaluators are trying to choose the best players in the area to field the most competitive team to represent Baltimore. Players are chosen not only on the tryout but their overall body of work as they should be. Brendan Grimes had an ok tryout yesterday, imagine someone not knowing him and not selecting him. Even though he was one the best attackmen in the country and had a phenomenal spring season. That's why people who know the players select the team. Want to make the team? Then be consistently one of the best players in your region over the spring and summer, not just for a 2 day tryout.

Hilarious. You reinforce what many are saying. That this isnt a tryout , the team is already picked with a few leftover spots. Being the best player for spring and summer is not a being the best at a tryout. That is why they call it a tryout..not the Allstar team made up of people in the know.

Now if UA changes the name to Allstar team made up of people in the know , well no one can complain.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please name of the top players in Baltimore that didn't show up. Just one player that should be on the team that didn't come to tryout.

Yes ! lets start naming kids on this site just to prove you wrong..sounds like a great idea- coming from an anonymous person! give us your name first?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The real question is which of the remaining 5 will get the final goalie spot since one was already locked in before the tryouts. This makes for an interesting quandary. They probably cant take a kid from the same club or HS as the locked in player. Can the second goalie be the same graduating year as the first one? Probably not as that would look bad too. The final spot probably comes down to process of elimination more than anything else. Sad because they cannot take the actual 2 best from the overall tryout. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear how those conversations go in the coaches huddle.

Heard all six goalies got shelled at the call back game (doesn't exactly say a lot for the defenders) but there was one who played better than the others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Highlight - The goalies did not get shelled (you can watch the game online). For what boils down to an all star game, it was a slow, low scoring game with little transition. The white team goalie that started stood out to me.

The coaches from each region are charged with building a team that can win the tournament. There are kids that literally did nothing in the call back game (empty stat line) who are marquee players in the MIAA. Does the coach not choose them because the had an off day or does he choose them knowing they will likely be the difference maker in games vs DC, Philly and NY? My bet is that those kids are on the 22 roster. I still think the process, as imperfect as it is, is worth $190.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Highlight - The goalies did not get shelled (you can watch the game online). For what boils down to an all star game, it was a slow, low scoring game with little transition. The white team goalie that started stood out to me.

The coaches from each region are charged with building a team that can win the tournament. There are kids that literally did nothing in the call back game (empty stat line) who are marquee players in the MIAA. Does the coach not choose them because the had an off day or does he choose them knowing they will likely be the difference maker in games vs DC, Philly and NY? My bet is that those kids are on the 22 roster. I still think the process, as imperfect as it is, is worth $190.

you have a link to watch game online?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree with all of the above. The evaluators rank the kids going into the call back game based on the previous 2 days worth of games. The call back game allows for kids on the bubble to play themselves on or off of the team and gives kids an opportunity to play in front of college coaches one more time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree with all of the above. The evaluators rank the kids going into the call back game based on the previous 2 days worth of games. The call back game allows for kids on the bubble to play themselves on or off of the team and gives kids an opportunity to play in front of college coaches one more time.

Not exactly what I heard happened but you keep believing that....there were politics at work when call back list was made. There was a huge push for a certain number of non-MIAA players to make the call back list and it showed in the game. In addition to that, there were not enough evaluators dispersed during the two day tryout. There were absolutely no evaluators on one of the fields the second night. Paul Rabil could have been playing on that field and no one would have known it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Highlight - A few observations:

-2 players that did not play in the 44 game are on the roster.
-One player I thought was a lock, had 2 or 3 goals in the 44 game and a phenomenal MIAA season, did not make the team. He has every right to an explanation.
-Several players that had great MIAA seasons and did nothing in the 44 game (empty stat line) made the roster.
- 9 of the 22 are 2020s.

The process is imperfect and could be improved.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Highlight - A few observations:

-2 players that did not play in the 44 game are on the roster.
-One player I thought was a lock, had 2 or 3 goals in the 44 game and a phenomenal MIAA season, did not make the team. He has every right to an explanation.
-Several players that had great MIAA seasons and did nothing in the 44 game (empty stat line) made the roster.
- 9 of the 22 are 2020s.

The process is imperfect and could be improved.

Are the 2019's that bad to have over a third of team 2020's ? That just seems like a lot. Of course I suspect ( dont know) that many of the 2020's could easily be the right age of a 2019.

Like Reply Quote
Page 28 of 313 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 312 313
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard