BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Re: Boys 2021 - 9th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Was a great event for 2020s. Lots of good feedback on field from great coaches and competitive play in scrimmages. It is also one of the gateways for the 2020s to invite only NLF events this summer. Wonder if the programs or coaching were different for 21s vs 20s.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Suffolk HS Practices officially kick off on Sunday. Looking forward to my son playing for his HS this year.

I think only Varsity kicks off Sunday,

Lot's of schools have been doing multiple workouts per week for weeks now - some starting up full time today . . .

I think the official starting date is Monday, isn't it? My son's school has been doing "voluntary" 3 days a week all winter. Any thoughts of 9th grader's playing up? My son played JV as an 8th grader and did great. Not sure if he is ready to jump to Varsity yet.

Unless he's phenom or the varsity NEEDS him, then no - let him get reps on JV.

My thoughts exactly.

I had a similar conversation with my son about why he wants to play Varsity do badly as a Freshman. My argument was to get a lot more play on JV as opposed to Varsity, but he had a valid point. The games itself are only a fraction of the time on the field. He wants to practice with and against bigger and stronger kids to develop as a player. I am sure people here will find fault with that argument, but to me I think he is right and will root for him and his teammates whether it is JV or V.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

I think the official starting date is Monday, isn't it? My son's school has been doing "voluntary" 3 days a week all winter. Any thoughts of 9th grader's playing up? My son played JV as an 8th grader and did great. Not sure if he is ready to jump to Varsity yet. [/quote]

Unless he's phenom or the varsity NEEDS him, then no - let him get reps on JV.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly.[/quote]

I had a similar conversation with my son about why he wants to play Varsity do badly as a Freshman. My argument was to get a lot more play on JV as opposed to Varsity, but he had a valid point. The games itself are only a fraction of the time on the field. He wants to practice with and against bigger and stronger kids to develop as a player. I am sure people here will find fault with that argument, but to me I think he is right and will root for him and his teammates whether it is JV or V.[/quote]

Depending upon your school's program, there are some coaches that will mix the JV in with the V for portions of the practice, in which case you get the best of both worlds. Our coaches seems to be leaning towards that model but it is to be seen if that will continue throughout the season. I still hold to my original premise though - if he isn't needed, he might not get enough reps on varsity in practice either, in which case his logic doesn't really hold water. To me, this is better served with a discussion with the V coach to set expectations for both sides of this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

I think the official starting date is Monday, isn't it? My son's school has been doing "voluntary" 3 days a week all winter. Any thoughts of 9th grader's playing up? My son played JV as an 8th grader and did great. Not sure if he is ready to jump to Varsity yet.

Unless he's phenom or the varsity NEEDS him, then no - let him get reps on JV.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly.[/quote]

I had a similar conversation with my son about why he wants to play Varsity do badly as a Freshman. My argument was to get a lot more play on JV as opposed to Varsity, but he had a valid point. The games itself are only a fraction of the time on the field. He wants to practice with and against bigger and stronger kids to develop as a player. I am sure people here will find fault with that argument, but to me I think he is right and will root for him and his teammates whether it is JV or V.[/quote]

Depending upon your school's program, there are some coaches that will mix the JV in with the V for portions of the practice, in which case you get the best of both worlds. Our coaches seems to be leaning towards that model but it is to be seen if that will continue throughout the season. I still hold to my original premise though - if he isn't needed, he might not get enough reps on varsity in practice either, in which case his logic doesn't really hold water. To me, this is better served with a discussion with the V coach to set expectations for both sides of this.[/quote]

I had a conversation with my son's coach, and he agreed that he would rather see him on JV if he isn't going to play on the Varsity level. The coach has put him on the Varsity Roster for Monday, but told him that the final decision won't be made until the first game, and that may only even be temporary. The offensive coach really likes him, and as of now it seems like it is between him and a 10th grader will be competing for the one spot that is available for his position. A Senior and junior have the other two spots locked up, so it will be tough for him to beat out the other upper classman and a really good 10th grader for the one spot. He has had success playing Varisty all summer and Fall, but I told him many of the better players may not have been there. Starting at JV as a Freshman isn't a bad thing, and i think he's starting to understand that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OMg drama queens,

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OMg drama queens,

. . . and you would be responding to which post (since we don;t know due to your failure to comprehend the idea and use of the "Quote" button!)?? I'm going to start to refer to these posts as "BOTC Tourette Posts" . . .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OMg drama queens,

. . . and you would be responding to which post (since we don;t know due to your failure to comprehend the idea and use of the "Quote" button!)?? I'm going to start to refer to these posts as "BOTC Tourette Posts" . . .

Real funny ha ha ha

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OMg drama queens,

I'm assuming that you are responding to the Freshmen playing varsity thread, since you are ignorant enough to not reference what this is about, and are obviously ignorant to not realize how much of an impact this can be on a 14 or 15 year old boy. Now if your kid is a holdback, it isn't a big deal, because he could be playing varsity as a 10th grader. But for the on age boys, there are developmental, maturity, and confidence issues. Some kids are on the bubble because of their game play ability and physical maturity. If they play at the varsity level and sit the bench, what good does that do to their confidence unless they actually have a shot at playing a meaningful amount of time. If they get pushed back down to JV, that could also be detrimental to their development.

Unless playing JV would be a complete waste of time, I think that most 9th graders, except for the truly exceptional, should play JV. My kid is on the bubble, and his coach asked him yesterday to try out for the Varsity because he does have a shot at playing. If he doesn't like it, they will have him practice with the Varisty, but play JV games, which someone else mentioned. I think this is the best option, and they can always pull him up if they need him, or he earns a starting spot. It would be a huge challenge for my son do beat out the upperclassmen at his school, but he is determined to do it. I just explained to him that he will have to earn his playing time. He has been a backup on teams and worked really hard to become the starter, so it could be a good experience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am simply saying my kid was also ask to try out for Varsity he will go Monday, if he makes it he stays, if not he goes to JV, no questions or heavy thinking. I trust the coaching staff

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am simply saying my kid was also ask to try out for Varsity he will go Monday, if he makes it he stays, if not he goes to JV, no questions or heavy thinking. I trust the coaching staff

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For any 2021 player that may still be looking for team for the club season or is unhappy with their current club, a team based out of Nassau is looking for some middies - strong team and opportunity for significant playing time. Please (deleted)

Last edited by TM@BOTC; . Reason: To market your club, please contact us in which you can do so by 'requesting a quote' that you can find at the bottom of the site
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would talk to the coach to make sure that they are looking out for his interest in developing him as a player. It isn't as simple as trusting the coach. I was brought up as a freshman, and didn't play my senior year because I was so turned off by the whole experience. I was way to immature mentally, even though physically i could play at that level. 14 year olds are at a totally different place than 18 year olds.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nike Blue Chip use to be the showcase to go to now is terrible. Minimal college coaches and Jake Reed was not friendly to the kids or parents. He said kids would get Nike cleats but once there he said you can purchase them. Money grab and waste of time.

Showtime Maverick was much better but hard to get into.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ahhhh, remember the days when parents didn’t care if you played varsity or JV or anything else for that matter? Now, helicopter parents who have the coach on speed dial and truly believe the guy actually likes them! All for what? Maybe $10k at a $55k school. Now write up how much your son loves it! Just remember most boys try very hard to do what makes there dad proud.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone doing the Shamrock Shooutout in the JV division? Any insight into towns that have done it regularly before?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would talk to the coach to make sure that they are looking out for his interest in developing him as a player. It isn't as simple as trusting the coach. I was brought up as a freshman, and didn't play my senior year because I was so turned off by the whole experience. I was way to immature mentally, even though physically i could play at that level. 14 year olds are at a totally different place than 18 year olds.

On the flip side, my older son was brought up as a freshman, now a Senior. He didn't play much, but it made him a much better player. Competing against 17 and 18 year olds everyday in practice made him work very hard. Consequently, he went to his first summer showcase in early June and just killed it against kids in his grade. He received a ton of interest and committed later that year. To the other posters point, it's not the right decision for all, but my son definitely benefitted from it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On the flip side, my older son was brought up as a freshman, now a Senior. He didn't play much, but it made him a much better player. Competing against 17 and 18 year olds everyday in practice made him work very hard. Consequently, he went to his first summer showcase in early June and just killed it against kids in his grade. He received a ton of interest and committed later that year. To the other posters point, it's not the right decision for all, but my son definitely benefitted from it.

Exactly what my son told me when he decided to go up. He has a shot to start, but thinks he will learn a lot more going against the varsity players in practice, and feeling the pace of a varsity game when he does get in, than doing another year at JV. He trained with the Varisty all winter, and played with them last summer, so they all know him, and welcomed him. The best player on the team took him under his wing, so I am much more comfortable with his decision a week into it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shamrock is cancelled, and this storm would have put the final nail in the coffin. I'm not disappointed though, the boys are going to get plenty of lax in this year with HS and travel.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone doing the Warrior Try out on Saturday?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone hear anything about Warrior Tryouts?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Anyone hear anything about Warrior Tryouts?

Invites went out. One team from LI for 2021

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what is Warrior tryouts?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for some advice on the UA 21/22 tryouts that is coming up.

Is it a waste of time for a 22 to tryout for the team since most 22s won’t make it? Does it hurt your chances to make the team next year? Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what is Warrior tryouts?

Warrior All America Games. Just something else to have your kids do to have fun. Not a recruiting tournament from what I understand, but the kids get swag, so they want to do it.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Looking for some advice on the UA 21/22 tryouts that is coming up.

Is it a waste of time for a 22 to tryout for the team since most 22s won’t make it? Does it hurt your chances to make the team next year? Thanks

I would do it. These guys don’t remember who they saw and kids change year to year

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
what is Warrior tryouts?

Warrior All America Games. Just something else to have your kids do to have fun. Not a recruiting tournament from what I understand, but the kids get swag, so they want to do it.

How many kids were at the Warrior Tryouts?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by NassauLaxDad516
what is Warrior tryouts?

Don't know how many were at the morning tryout, but there were about 20 2021's at the afternoon tryout. They also had some kids "submit video" which means some select kids that they will be bringing couldn't make it because of HS tryouts so they are planning on bringing them. Not sure who the coach will be, there were some 91 coaches there, so they will probably bring 91 players if that is the case.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Colts21
what is Warrior tryouts?

Don't know how many were at the morning tryout, but there were about 20 2021's at the afternoon tryout. They also had some kids "submit video" which means some select kids that they will be bringing couldn't make it because of HS tryouts so they are planning on bringing them. Not sure who the coach will be, there were some 91 coaches there, so they will probably bring 91 players if that is the case.

Considering its ran by MLT which is a 91 company, I believe you are right in saying they will be coaching and taking their own players. That's a shame and quite frankly there are a lot of other local things to do to get exposure like the D1 Showcase this summer & LI Rising Sophomore Nassau/Suffolk Tryouts and not do something like the 'Warrior Games' just bc 91 puts their names on it and people fall into that trap that whatever they do must be good

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by LiLaxDad
what is Warrior tryouts?

Considering its ran by MLT which is a 91 company, I believe you are right in saying they will be coaching and taking their own players. That's a shame and quite frankly there are a lot of other local things to do to get exposure like the D1 Showcase this summer & LI Rising Sophomore Nassau/Suffolk Tryouts and not do something like the 'Warrior Games' just bc 91 puts their names on it and people fall into that trap that whatever they do must be good

If you are looking for alternatives to do, 2 showcases on Long Island that we have gone to (LI Showcase & Und1sputed Showcase) are 2 local great events. Contingent on what you are looking for such as exposure from DI colleges then obviously the und1sputed showcase is the best if you can get invited but if you are looking to get your child seen by all of the divisions, the Long Island Showcase is great for that. The Warrior AA games is another money making gimmick for MLT/NLF/91

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by LaxrFanatic
Originally Posted by LiLaxDad
what is Warrior tryouts?

If you are looking for alternatives to do, 2 showcases on Long Island that we have gone to (LI Showcase & Und1sputed Showcase) are 2 local great events. Contingent on what you are looking for such as exposure from DI colleges then obviously the und1sputed showcase is the best if you can get invited but if you are looking to get your child seen by all of the divisions, the Long Island Showcase is great for that. The Warrior AA games is another money making gimmick for MLT/NLF/91

Thanks for the info. My son was invited to the und1sputed showcase and I was wondering if it was worth it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great three way scrimmage between Outlaws Select, Legacy and 91 Ambush. Much better use of time than the Blatant Tournament. Going to be a fun summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great day at the LI Lax Fest. Best game of the day in the A division was Empire vs Ambush. 7-6 win for Ambush to go to the championship to face Wogue. That game was called at 5-1 when a fight broke out and parents ran onto the field. Let the refs and coaches take care of these things.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
[/quote]
Thanks for the info. My son was invited to the und1sputed showcase and I was wondering if it was worth it.
[/quote]

LI showcase was a total joke. If your coach wasn't there, you had no chance. My son was put on a field that had nobody scouting for both games with kids who couldn't even catch and throw. Don't waste your time if your HS coach isn't going to be there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great day at the LI Lax Fest. Best game of the day in the A division was Empire vs Ambush. 7-6 win for Ambush to go to the championship to face Wogue. That game was called at 5-1 when a fight broke out and parents ran onto the field. Let the refs and coaches take care of these things.

Wogue played a zone, one parent was a hammerhead

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wogue played a zone, one parent was a hammerhead

Don't know what that parent was thinking. That could have escalated and been really ugly.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did 91 Blaze do this weekend?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
How was the fl$ tournament? Seemed like a lot of teams there in 2021. I was at Post for a different event. Nice layout for a tournament.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
How did 91 Blaze do this weekend?

I don't think that they played. They will be at Naptown and NLF in July

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did they drop out of tournament because their top players are hurt? What happened to next man up.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard