BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Who reports scores and stats to Newsday?
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Does anyone know who reports the numbers to say Newsday or Fios after a game? I figure there is an official score table but as it petains to say a goalies stats or things like assists and goals, who keeps those numbers and reports them? Does it fall on the home team to keep track?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: (NA) Who reports scores and stats to Newsday?
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by thegoaliesdad
Does anyone know who reports the numbers to say Newsday or Fios after a game? I figure there is an official score table but as it petains to say a goalies stats or things like assists and goals, who keeps those numbers and reports them? Does it fall on the home team to keep track?

Each team reports it to their score keepers and then they submit to Newsday. For assists/goals, you will hear the coach yell it out to them but for Goalie saves, the saves are being recorded by the volunteers you see typically at the midfield line sitting behind a table.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Funny enough, i just called Newsday and got to there high school sports desk. I was advised that the numbers are called in by the winning team's side which I think is a flawed system especially when it comes to stats for these kids. The only way to revise them i was told was to have my son's coach call in and advise of the discrepancy. In this case, the difference in numbers is massive. Kind of a low thing to do not to give kid's there just due when they are out there busting it and give them the credit they deserve win or lose.

Originally Posted by TM@BOTC

Each team reports it to their score keepers and then they submit to Newsday. For assists/goals, you will hear the coach yell it out to them but for Goalie saves, the saves are being recorded by the volunteers you see typically at the midfield line sitting behind a table.

Like Reply Quote
(NA) Re: (NA) Who reports scores and stats to Newsday?
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by TM@BOTC

[/quote]

[quote=thegoaliesdad]Funny enough, i just called Newsday and got to there high school sports desk. I was advised that the numbers are called in by the winning team's side which I think is a flawed system especially when it comes to stats for these kids. The only way to revise them i was told was to have my son's coach call in and advise of the discrepancy. In this case, the difference in numbers is massive. Kind of a low thing to do not to give kid's there just due when they are out there busting it and give them the credit they deserve win or lose.

Yea, that doesn't seem right and with goalies, I am sure that the 'stat/score' keepers aren't paying attention to every shot. I would certainly see if your sons coach keeps stats and can have Newsday modify them accordingly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this has been an ongoing problem for players. I know it is a team sport but kids are being recruited and if they are not on a Ward Melville or Garden city who is on TV and make it deep to playoffs then the only things coaches really see are the stats.

To give you an example. last year the scorekeeper didn't record 4 goals and 5 assists my son had. We said nothing. This year he was already not given credit for a goal in the first game. We didn't say anything last year but my son did say something to the coach. Ironically enough, a college coach who is interested in my son emailed him on his great game he had yesterday because of the stats he saw online.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I agree completely. My son's team got slammed today, but he still had a ton of saves as a goalie, somewhere in the 20 range. That was the number our book had. The winning team reports the score and the stats. They reported 8 saves. You won and as a coach you don't have the decency to give credit where it is due? I watched the game film and the 8 they reported he had a few minutes into the 2nd quarter. Pretty low.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
this has been an ongoing problem for players. I know it is a team sport but kids are being recruited and if they are not on a Ward Melville or Garden city who is on TV and make it deep to playoffs then the only things coaches really see are the stats.

To give you an example. last year the scorekeeper didn't record 4 goals and 5 assists my son had. We said nothing. This year he was already not given credit for a goal in the first game. We didn't say anything last year but my son did say something to the coach. Ironically enough, a college coach who is interested in my son emailed him on his great game he had yesterday because of the stats he saw online.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If my son had a monster game against a terrible team, and a coach called to congratulate him because he saw the stats online, i doubt that coach would be around all that long...

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I agree completely. My son's team got slammed today, but he still had a ton of saves as a goalie, somewhere in the 20 range. That was the number our book had. The winning team reports the score and the stats. They reported 8 saves. You won and as a coach you don't have the decency to give credit where it is due? I watched the game film and the 8 they reported he had a few minutes into the 2nd quarter. Pretty low.

I do not think it is the coaches who are providing non accurate stats. I believe it's the high school students who are responsible for keeping track of the stats so what needs to be done is have each team keep track themselves and then collaborate after the game. There are a lot of times that coaches will also boost players stats and credits them with an assist when 'the goal scorer dodges a defensive player after receiving the pass before shooting' and it 'was not scored directly from receiving the pass.'

We here at BOTC will be adding HS Scores as a new tab in a week and knowing this, we will try to get all of the coaches to submit their stats. But I know this won't solve the problem with Newsday and the number of people reading the HS Sports section.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If my son had a monster game against a terrible team, and a coach called to congratulate him because he saw the stats online, i doubt that coach would be around all that long...[/quote]

who said it was a blow out, they won by 3 goals.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

With this mindset, stat guys...how do defensemen get recruited?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really, do you see stats for college teams. they record ground balls and forced turnovers. those are all stats that colleges keep. Trust me they want to know how many turnovers you caused and how many ground balls you picked up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really, do you see stats for college teams. they record ground balls and forced turnovers. those are all stats that colleges keep. Trust me they want to know how many turnovers you caused and how many ground balls you picked up.

Exactly, thats my point...if hs's don't keep those stats, how do they know which def are any good...you can tell by the stats who the best off kids are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laughable when a kid who isn't even playing, isn't on the sideline, didn't make the bus, gets multiple points.

The scorers are HS students, they don't pay attention to the assists. I wonder if it's the losing teams players being robbed or it's the winners too.

It's not like these teams aren't filming the games they know. Hope the coaches keep better records, but sad to say been like this for awhile, but this years the worst of the years I've seen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I heard colleges just take all middies and put some on Defense. If you play D in high school no way you going to get recruited. So, why worry about it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I heard colleges just take all middies and put some on Defense. If you play D in high school no way you going to get recruited. So, why worry about it?

I heard that too...You can see where they get that from...having to deal with all the offensive parents on here crying about getting jipped on an asst here or there...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The kids who keep stats will get invited to the exclusive parties if they make sure to credit the popular kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Winning coach calls in the score and stats. Kids keep the book in most sports. Not too many districts are paying someone to keep stats at a HS game. Hard for the coach to coach and keep stats!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Winning coach calls in the score and stats. Kids keep the book in most sports. Not too many districts are paying someone to keep stats at a HS game. Hard for the coach to coach and keep stats!

Some East End schools have a mom doing the books. AAAAANNNND the assist goes to.............

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This thread is incredible on so many levels.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's not true at all. Every college game has box score with stats which included faceoffs and saves.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
didn't newsday or Varsity list all players stats not just the page 1 guys.

And to answer the points stats question, the Newsday stats are truly meaningless. Wish they weren't and they don't have to be. Coaches know they are wonky, they now keep track of points and record them accurately off of the films now. Kinda like let's go to the video tape.

Would love to see saves and GB, CTO and TO, FO% and time of possession.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The whole stats thing is a bit of a joke. I have 3 daughters so I’m more up on girls lacrosse. It is well known that certain schools continually put out false stats. I’ve seen the stats in Newsday after one of my daughters games, and her opponent listed every goal as having an assist. A complete joke, when the opposing team scored 5 free position shots. That doesn’t include the goals scored by dodging around 3 players.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard