BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team?
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
Is there a need to form a high quality girls travel club in eastern Suffolk. By eastern I mean Mt Sinai to West Hampton. It seems we all travel west for practices and a lot of the talent is in eastern Suffolk.

Chime in with comments....

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team?
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there are like 30 clubs off to the right. there were only a few just a handful of years back. If peoople are willing to pay, more will come!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
definately a need, but it would be a massive financial and administrative undertaking. Do you start with the two youngest age groups or try to go head to head with established teams?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
definately a need, but it would be a massive financial and administrative undertaking. Do you start with the two youngest age groups or try to go head to head with established teams?

And face the wrath of Rose? And all the parent bees attacking you? It is bound to happen and I would expect teams and clubs popping up all over the place moving into the future.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It makes sense with all the demands on parents to cut down on the commute to practice I would think. Should probably start with one or two younger teams and grow accordingly. If need is there an older team could be formed as well to help kids who have not tried out for a summer team yet.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
For convenience of practices, I presume. I'd say yes. And don't forget the Forks, north and south. Even if you based something out of Riverhead, that's a long-a$$ drive for the laxer from Montauk or Orient.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And face the wrath of Rose? And all the parent bees attacking you? It is bound to happen and I would expect teams and clubs popping up all over the place moving into the future.

Fact is several east end clubs have opened , there was a club based out of south bay a few years ago that had some talent but was poorly run and closed.There is now a team called title nine but really are more of a glorified town team .YJ had a team with east in the name but not sure what happened to that team.The game is still relatively new to many towns on the east end so as it's popularity grows it will be only a matter of time.Might be tuff for TG because many would live outside the 50 mile radius but seems to me that TG is now almost completely Bill Smiths baby.At the younger levels if Shoreham ,Riverhead, North Fork ,Westhampton joined forces they would be able to compete against any travel club throw ESM into the mix and they would be tuff to beat.

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
For convenience of practices, I presume. I'd say yes. And don't forget the Forks, north and south. Even if you based something out of Riverhead, that's a long-a$$ drive for the laxer from Montauk or Orient.

But better than a drive to Nassau or western Suffolk. No?

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tough to argue. Didn't I see a young team from westhampton called the piranhas at some things this fall? Is that a youth team or club/travel team?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Steppin'Out
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

But better than a drive to Nassau or western Suffolk. No?

Absolutely.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Fact is several east end clubs have opened , there was a club based out of south bay a few years ago that had some talent but was poorly run and closed.There is now a team called title nine but really are more of a glorified town team .YJ had a team with east in the name but not sure what happened to that team.The game is still relatively new to many towns on the east end so as it's popularity grows it will be only a matter of time.Might be tuff for TG because many would live outside the 50 mile radius but seems to me that TG is now almost completely Bill Smiths baby.At the younger levels if Shoreham ,Riverhead, North Fork ,Westhampton joined forces they would be able to compete against any travel club throw ESM into the mix and they would be tuff to beat.

I think that Southbay team folded into LI Select (or something like that) and a lot of the girls moved on at that point.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Much easier said (or written) than done. On paper it works but try to convince all those kids and parents to leave established yj or tg teams to join some new club that most likely to fold and disappear (note the examples above). You see floundering clubs/teams spring up and die out all over the island. Give credit to CR for getting it rolling and give credit to Liberty and TG for being able to get into the market with competitive teams, where many others have failed. Parents know this and would be reluctant to leave a A team of an established club, you may convince a A caliber player or two then the rest would be B and C team players filling out roster. Take that team against top summer travel tournaments, get destroyed, then your A players walk, team dissolves etc.... like I said on paper it sounds great, getting together and getting over the hump is another thing especially on multiple age groups.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fact is several east end clubs have opened , there was a club based out of south bay

a few years ago that had some talent but was poorly run and closed.There is now a team called title nine but really are more of a glorified town team .YJ had a team with east in the name but not sure what happened to that team.The game is still relatively new to many towns on the east end so as it's popularity grows it will be only a matter of time.Might be tuff for TG because many would live outside the 50 mile radius but seems to me that TG is now almost completely Bill Smiths baby.At the younger levels if Shoreham ,Riverhead, North Fork ,Westhampton joined forces they would be able to compete against any travel club throw ESM into the mix and they would be tuff to beat.

Much easier said (or written) than done. On paper it works but try to convince all those kids and parents to leave established yj or tg teams to join some new club that most likely to fold and disappear (note the examples above). You see floundering clubs/teams spring up and die out all over the island. Give credit to CR for getting it rolling and give credit to Liberty and TG for being able to get into the market with competitive teams, where many others have failed. Parents know this and would be reluctant to leave a A team of an established club, you may convince a A caliber player or two then the rest would be B and C team players filling out roster. Take that team against top summer travel tournaments, get destroyed, then your A players walk, team dissolves etc.... like I said on paper it sounds great, getting together and getting over the hump is another thing especially on multiple age groups.

Very true. But isn't that the same thing that was said when TGs started a few years ago. I think any new club faces the same challenges. There is most certainly room for a club that can compete on a high level. Remember there are more A players that are labeled B players due to no room on the A teams. "If you build it they will come" applies here I think. I think you are under estimating the ideals of many A players and their parents. Many would welcome a new club and the opportunity to be a game changer. If we lived using your example we would all still be in the 13 colonies driving horse and buggies using candles for light. A bit dramatic I know but just my opinion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Southbay becameYJEast ... The only reason TG is successful is because of Shannon Smith- a new club would have to have a big name behind it to draw these people in

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Southbay becameYJEast ... The only reason TG is successful is because of Shannon Smith- a new club would have to have a big name behind it to draw these people in

Plenty of room in the sandbox, the more clubs playing at a high level the better. This coming from a player's parent/ consumer point of view. I'm sure the opionions and views of the club owners may not be to thrilled with sharing the $'s, but as a consumer all parents and players should encourge and welcome more oppurtunity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would need a couple of the big high school coaches as a nucleus: like ESM and SWR. TG has a lock on certain towns just like Liberty and YJ do. It starts with the directors and coaches to bring a "captive" audience. That seems to be how new clubs have formed in NJ and MD.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's see how much interest there is on BOTC. So far doesn't seem to be much...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Since this idea would only work if most all of the top girls from the area, in each age group, would leave the club they play for now (most likely TG or YJ), to join a new unknown. So the real question is:
Would you leave your existing team/club?
I'm sure the annswer is no for A team players, maybe for B team players and yes for C team players. What kind of team are you going to end up with? Slightly better than an established clubs C team. I will give credit to SS for having pulled off this feat, but that was with a lot of star power and she is drawing from the entire island, not just the east end. Good luck to anyone who may do this, as I said before, the more competitive options our girls have the better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Since this idea would only work if most all of the top girls from the area, in each age group, would leave the club they play for now (most likely TG or YJ), to join a new unknown. So the real question is:
Would you leave your existing team/club?
I'm sure the annswer is no for A team players, maybe for B team players and yes for C team players. What kind of team are you going to end up with? Slightly better than an established clubs C team. I will give credit to SS for having pulled off this feat, but that was with a lot of star power and she is drawing from the entire island, not just the east end. Good luck to anyone who may do this, as I said before, the more competitive options our girls have the better.

Look at what has happened in the boys landscape.

Many teams creep up and grab many players but many of these teams all happened on the sneak and the players were already committed before the team was announced. This too could happen on the girls side where as some A players, parents and coaches were not happy with their organization and fractured off.

Or is it not reasonable to think this could happen on the girls side, but it would need to take a Lax person with great organizational skills.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is one! Title 9 lacrosse is a girls program on the east end of LI.

I havent heard much about them, but the link is in the LI Club Window to the right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I havent heard much about them, but the link is in the LI Club Window to the right.

I thought Title 9 was a Rocky Point Club Team for younger ages?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not even close to being competitive, poor organization and no real HS coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought Title 9 was a Rocky Point Club Team for younger ages?

No connection to Rocky Point. They are further east, I think they practice in Cutchogue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughters team played a group at the Adelphia tournament last week. The team was called the east end rebels. Not sure where they are out of, but they were a very strong team. I think they were a 5th grade team, from what I saw they could compete against any top travel team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From some nice chats with parents on the field, that team seems to be a mish mosh of girls from travel clubs but all live predominantly in Rvhead. Different girls seems to make up the team as we have seen them at a few things. Not sure how organized they are or if they just stack the roster for tourneys. Either way, all were very nice and positive and girls made a strong showing. Who knew East End would give give us a run?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From some nice chats with parents on the field, that team seems to be a mish mosh of girls from travel clubs but all live predominantly in Rvhead. Different girls seems to make up the team as we have seen them at a few things. Not sure how organized they are or if they just stack the roster for tourneys. Either way, all were very nice and positive and girls made a strong showing. Who knew East End would give give us a run?

Know the team, they are just playing off season tournaments to fill in the voids. They are mostly players from etablished clubs, committed to those clubs for the "real" summer tournaments. These tournaments locally and off season are just a opportunity for these kids to get in extra playing time. I don't think it is this team's intention to break the kids away from their summer club teams. And of course the could give any travel club team a run, as they are some of the better kids from the LI travel teams to begin with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If a new club is formed may I suggest adding parent interviews along with tryouts. It may help screen some of the nut jobs seen posting on other clubs threads.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I happened to see our name in the thread and I thought I would give some information. Title 9 is based out of Mattituck and currently has two teams 2020, and 2018/2019. We are made up of girls from Shoreham, Rocky Point, ESM, Riverhead, & North Fork. Brie Claire Drost is the director of coaching as well as coach of the 2018 team with Abbie Ross. Megan Gersbeck is the coach of the 2020 team.
Last year was our first season and it was a growing experience. It's tough to be competitive right out of the box. We had a great showing at last year's Laxfest and I think we will be considerably better this year.
Our goal is to offer a competitive club based on the East End that will not require you to take out a second mortgage to join. Brie Claire has managed to put together a fantastic program which is really just in its infancy. If anyone would like more information please don't hesitate to contact me. You can follow the club link to our website.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Title9
I happened to see our name in the thread and I thought I would give some information. Title 9 is based out of Mattituck and currently has two teams 2020, and 2018/2019. We are made up of girls from Shoreham, Rocky Point, ESM, Riverhead, & North Fork. Brie Claire Drost is the director of coaching as well as coach of the 2018 team with Abbie Ross. Megan Gersbeck is the coach of the 2020 team.
Last year was our first season and it was a growing experience. It's tough to be competitive right out of the box. We had a great showing at last year's Laxfest and I think we will be considerably better this year.
Our goal is to offer a competitive club based on the East End that will not require you to take out a second mortgage to join. Brie Claire has managed to put together a fantastic program which is really just in its infancy. If anyone would like more information please don't hesitate to contact me. You can follow the club link to our website.

That's great, good luck. What tournaments do you plan to attend this summer?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Thank You!

Between the two teams we will be attending:
Manhasset
Best of the Beach
Long Island Lacrosse Classic
Babylon Laxblast
LI Laxfest

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually we played them in the summer at li lax fest. They were very strong but seemed young. Our girls were at least one year older and they beat us. They said it was their first year. Seemed organized to me. Very competitive. Young but quick and skilled. East end is getting to be strong. Whoever posted they are not competitive and unorganized probably lost to them or got cut in their tryouts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the coach played on swr and won four state championships. Very strong and respectful organization. Quiet approach. Nothing loud and boastful. Coaches and kids go about things with sportsmanship and class. Lucky kids. Good athletes and able to work together Tons of class. My niece plays for them. Loves it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's title nine! Those towns. Not a glorified town team because there are at least four towns as of last year. Shoreham. Wading river Cutchogue and mattituck. Now there's more I believe. That's not a town team.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Thanks for the nice comments. BC Drost has done a fantastic job with the girls!

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard