BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 52 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 51 52
Re: 2018 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Success or lack there of is on the coach. We are not talking about winning or losing individual games we are talking about "The Program" and body of work over the coaches tenure. Now, there are Division I programs that are not going to be able to compete with the top programs. These are the programs that are not "fully funded", have subpar facilities, have limited or no help with admissions, have very small budgets, have very little support from the school, are lesser know schools, schools that are not desirable to many players from "hot bed areas". Many of these school may actually be very successful in their own right but they are not going to be competing with the top programs in the country (and that is okay).

Some of The Coaches is responsibilities include:

* Identifying Athletes.
* Determining which of those Athletes will help their program.
* Recruiting "selling".
* Committing / signing / landing (convincing players to attend their school).
* Teaching / Coaching / Training.
* Developing Team Culture.
* Setting Team Goals.
* Leading.
* Inspiring.
* Game Planning.
* In game coaching.
* Deciding who plays in games and who sits.
* Selecting assistant coaches.
* etc...

If the coach does not recruit top talent who is to blame?
If the coach can not utilize, develop or inspire the talent they have who is to blame?
If the strategies, schemes, tactics and plays are unsuccessful who is to blame?
If the assistant coaches are ineffective who is to blame?

This is a Team Sport and players must be coached and set up to succeed. Simply having great players is not enough. Those players must be utilized correctly and all all players must work together as a team. The coach must paint the big picture and set the overall tone. The coach must implement strategies for all facets of the game (Draw, Transition Offense & Defense, Settled Offense, Settled Defense, Redefending, Clearing, extra-man, man-down, etc..). Offensive and defensive concepts, schemes, sets and plays are all on the coach and the players must know their roles and responsibilities at all times. Any coach who allows an individual player to "do her own thing" will ultimately be undermined by that player and it will hurt the team.

Notre Dame has everything in place to be more successful: Quality Academics, University Support, Excellent Facilities, Budget, Fully Funded, Academic Support for Student Athletes etc..

Notice I said "more successful". Notre Dame is one of the Top 10 - 15 programs in the country. Some believe that with all the school has to offer they should be better. Some want to blame the coach, some of the haters want to blame the players.

IMHO the coach is okay, not great but I don't think terrible.

When was the last time ND finished the season ranked top 15 or better?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is Ronbeck out for the season? Huge loss for the Gators if so

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gators looked sloppy against Vanderbilt. Got lucky

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Success or lack there of is on the coach. We are not talking about winning or losing individual games we are talking about "The Program" and body of work over the coaches tenure. Now, there are Division I programs that are not going to be able to compete with the top programs. These are the programs that are not "fully funded", have subpar facilities, have limited or no help with admissions, have very small budgets, have very little support from the school, are lesser know schools, schools that are not desirable to many players from "hot bed areas". Many of these school may actually be very successful in their own right but they are not going to be competing with the top programs in the country (and that is okay).

Some of The Coaches is responsibilities include:

* Identifying Athletes.
* Determining which of those Athletes will help their program.
* Recruiting "selling".
* Committing / signing / landing (convincing players to attend their school).
* Teaching / Coaching / Training.
* Developing Team Culture.
* Setting Team Goals.
* Leading.
* Inspiring.
* Game Planning.
* In game coaching.
* Deciding who plays in games and who sits.
* Selecting assistant coaches.
* etc...

If the coach does not recruit top talent who is to blame?
If the coach can not utilize, develop or inspire the talent they have who is to blame?
If the strategies, schemes, tactics and plays are unsuccessful who is to blame?
If the assistant coaches are ineffective who is to blame?

This is a Team Sport and players must be coached and set up to succeed. Simply having great players is not enough. Those players must be utilized correctly and all all players must work together as a team. The coach must paint the big picture and set the overall tone. The coach must implement strategies for all facets of the game (Draw, Transition Offense & Defense, Settled Offense, Settled Defense, Redefending, Clearing, extra-man, man-down, etc..). Offensive and defensive concepts, schemes, sets and plays are all on the coach and the players must know their roles and responsibilities at all times. Any coach who allows an individual player to "do her own thing" will ultimately be undermined by that player and it will hurt the team.

Notre Dame has everything in place to be more successful: Quality Academics, University Support, Excellent Facilities, Budget, Fully Funded, Academic Support for Student Athletes etc..

Notice I said "more successful". Notre Dame is one of the Top 10 - 15 programs in the country. Some believe that with all the school has to offer they should be better. Some want to blame the coach, some of the haters want to blame the players.

IMHO the coach is okay, not great but I don't think terrible.

When was the last time ND finished the season ranked top 15 or better?

2012: - 9
2013: - 12
2014: - 12
2015: - 14
2016: - 7
2017: - 18

Notre Dame is one of only ten programs to be ranked in the Top 20 at the end of the season in each of the past six seasons.

Here is the list:

Maryland
North Carolina
Syracuse
Penn State
Northwestern
Florida
Princeton
Penn
Virginia
Notre Dame

Duke, Boston College, Stony Brook and UMass have finished the year ranked in the Top 20 in five of the past six years (Duke & BC have made The Final Four).

That is why I would consider them one of the Top 10 - 15 programs. They are not Maryland or North Carolina but they are better than approximately 100 other programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
About to get myself in trouble but here it is .Have been watching as many games as possible w the Tewaaraton in mind . Start w KO , probably the best finisher in the game but the eyeball test says a lot is a function of their offense and who they are playing. She ends up w a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities little of which is created by herself .
Shayna Precca deserves to be in this discussion , scoring at a high rate mainly thru her own effort creating her own opportunities . Neither player adds much other than scoring as not involved in the draw and neither great at riding.
Apuzzo is also in the discussion and I believe the best all around offensive player as in gets teammates involved but also scores . She is good at the draw not great and decent at the ride .
Casey Bear should be high on this list , does it all , good at the draw ; solid defense , scores on the offensive side .
That said if I were starting a team there is no question in my mind I would take McCool as my first pick , excellent at the draw and on the circle , superior defender , scores although not the best shooter , great in the clear and ground balls and a do it all between the 30’s player.
I don’t think it’s that close if your looking for an all around impact player.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
About to get myself in trouble but here it is .Have been watching as many games as possible w the Tewaaraton in mind . Start w KO , probably the best finisher in the game but the eyeball test says a lot is a function of their offense and who they are playing. She ends up w a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities little of which is created by herself .
Shayna Precca deserves to be in this discussion , scoring at a high rate mainly thru her own effort creating her own opportunities . Neither player adds much other than scoring as not involved in the draw and neither great at riding.
Apuzzo is also in the discussion and I believe the best all around offensive player as in gets teammates involved but also scores . She is good at the draw not great and decent at the ride .
Casey Bear should be high on this list , does it all , good at the draw ; solid defense , scores on the offensive side .
That said if I were starting a team there is no question in my mind I would take McCool as my first pick , excellent at the draw and on the circle , superior defender , scores although not the best shooter , great in the clear and ground balls and a do it all between the 30’s player.

Agreed. Good analysis. If the award is for nifty passer and flashiest stick KO is a great option (Charlotte North at Duke might be better though because she is outstanding creating her own shot as well.) McCool is the best all around player in college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stony Brooks offense is designed to get layups (as all good offenses should be designed). Stony Brook also understands how to run a fast break (not just have someone charge to the goal).

It is really a function of coaching. Some coaches can develop an offensive scheme (and teach it) that can get the defense to slide/move/rotate and then move the ball fast enough to get that easy layup. Other coaches either do not understand it or can't teach it so the rely on players to try to run to the goal (create their own opportunity) which rarely will result in a championship. In most cases that stye of play will implode come playoff time and or be shut down by good coaching and solid team defense.

Give me the do it all midfielder who is selfless, plays great defense, hustles to get back on D, comes up with ground balls and knows when to go to goal and when to move the ball.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stony Brooks offense is designed to get layups (as all good offenses should be designed). Stony Brook also understands how to run a fast break (not just have someone charge to the goal).

It is really a function of coaching. Some coaches can develop an offensive scheme (and teach it) that can get the defense to slide/move/rotate and then move the ball fast enough to get that easy layup. Other coaches either do not understand it or can't teach it so the rely on players to try to run to the goal (create their own opportunity) which rarely will result in a championship. In most cases that stye of play will implode come playoff time and or be shut down by good coaching and solid team defense.

Give me the do it all midfielder who is selfless, plays great defense, hustles to get back on D, comes up with ground balls and knows when to go to goal and when to move the ball.

McCool forces way too many bad shots

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The DRAW
All around player

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed. Good analysis. If the award is for nifty passer and flashiest stick KO is a great option (Charlotte North at Duke might be better though because she is outstanding creating her own shot as well.) McCool is the best all around player in college.

Could possibly agree but as we all know team must be in the top 5. Duke is not very good so she out. also to keep in mind KO is not a one dimensional finisher she broke the single season assist record as well. Think Kiernan from Colorado is an interesting player to watch, do not think Maryland has a candidate

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Could possibly agree but as we all know team must be in the top 5. Duke is not very good so she out. also to keep in mind KO is not a one dimensional finisher she broke the single season assist record as well. Think Kiernan from Colorado is an interesting player to watch, do not think Maryland has a candidate

KO is not a one dimensional finisher, agreed. She is a great player, no argument here. Just think her overall impact on the game is not as great as someone like McCool. If there was an award for best offensive player, she is on the very short list. I believe some other players impact the overall game more is all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
any upsets in the top 20 this weekend?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

KO is not a one dimensional finisher, agreed. She is a great player, no argument here. Just think her overall impact on the game is not as great as someone like McCool. If there was an award for best offensive player, she is on the very short list. I believe some other players impact the overall game more is all.

If you're looking for a do it all player, no one other than a midfielder will qualify. That's a problem.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you're looking for a do it all player, no one other than a midfielder will qualify. That's a problem.

I think Charlotte North is a better attacker than KO. So IMO, if KO isn't even the best player at her position, and it's a position appropriately called "lazy middie", then someone like McCool is more deserving of the award.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think Charlotte North is a better attacker than KO. So IMO, if KO isn't even the best player at her position, and it's a position appropriately called "lazy middie", then someone like McCool is more deserving of the award.

Attack is a considered a "lazy Middie" are you an stunad? Attackers tend to have the best stick skills on the field0 otherwise known as finishers, playmakers etc..Obviously that comment came from someone who never played sports or lacrosse for that matter!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"If you're looking for a do it all player, no one other than a midfielder will qualify. That's a problem."

There are attack players such as Apuzzo who contribute on the draw and are better than others at the ride so I tend to look more to them. I also tend to look at it as if I were starting a team who would I take first and at this point that player would be McCool .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We all know that high scoring attackers are very important and they generally get most of the recognition but the midfielder who does everything well and plays between the lines is what make or breaks a team. If your middies are lazy and can't play D you are in trouble. If your middies are head down go to goal it's going to be a problem. All positions are important but having fast, aggressive middies who make smart decisions in transition and on offense and who hustle back on D then communicate and play solid D is most important. They are more times than not the same players who control most of the draws.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

KO is not a one dimensional finisher, agreed. She is a great player, no argument here. Just think her overall impact on the game is not as great as someone like McCool. If there was an award for best offensive player, she is on the very short list. I believe some other players impact the overall game more is all. [/quote]

If you're looking for a do it all player, no one other than a midfielder will qualify. That's a problem. [/quote]
I think Charlotte North is a better attacker than KO. So IMO, if KO isn't even the best player at her position, and it's a position appropriately called "lazy middie", then someone like McCool is more deserving of the award.[/quote]

Attack is a considered a "lazy Middie" are you an stunad? Attackers tend to have the best stick skills on the field0 otherwise known as finishers, playmakers etc..Obviously that comment came from someone who never played sports or lacrosse for that matter!
[/quote]

You really like to attack people. "lazy middie" is the term used by many in the women's lax arena. Ask a coach. It is meant as a joke. Get over yourself. If you actually knew anything about the game, you'd know that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

KO is not a one dimensional finisher, agreed. She is a great player, no argument here. Just think her overall impact on the game is not as great as someone like McCool. If there was an award for best offensive player, she is on the very short list. I believe some other players impact the overall game more is all. [/quote]

If you're looking for a do it all player, no one other than a midfielder will qualify. That's a problem. [/quote]
I think Charlotte North is a better attacker than KO. So IMO, if KO isn't even the best player at her position, and it's a position appropriately called "lazy middie", then someone like McCool is more deserving of the award.[/quote]

[/quote]

You really like to attack people. "lazy middie" is the term used by many in the women's lax arena. Ask a coach. It is meant as a joke. Get over yourself. If you actually knew anything about the game, you'd know that.

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
IWLCA Poll for Division I, March 19
Rank Team Record Points First Previous
1 Stony Brook 7-0 622 24 1
2 Maryland 6-1 586 2
3 Boston College 10-0 584 1 3
4 James Madison 8-0 540 5
5 North Carolina 6-2 535 4
6 Florida 6-2 501 6
7 Syracuse 5-2 471 7
8 Penn 7-0 424 11
9 Virginia 6-2 405 8
10 Loyola 5-2 395 13
11 Northwestern 5-3 380 9
12 Navy 6-2 373 10
13 Southern California 5-3 341 12
14 Towson 5-2 303 14
15 Colorado 6-3 282 15
16 Princeton 3-2 238 16
17 Virginia Tech 7-3 216 18
18 Penn State 6-3 195 17
19 Stanford 5-3 179 19
20 Duke 5-3 149 20
21 Cornell 4-2 111 23
22 Johns Hopkins 7-3 69 24
23 Denver 4-3 61 22
24 Georgetown 5-2 53 25
25 High Point 4-2 44 NR

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
IWLCA Poll for Division II, March 19
1 Florida Southern 9-0 644 23 1
2 Adelphi 5-1 588 2
3 Lindenwood 10-0 576 2 3
4 Le Moyne 5-0 553 4
5 Florida Tech 9-0 511 5
6 Limestone 7-1 486 6
7 LIU Post 4-2 458 8
8 New Haven 3-1 432 7
9 Indianapolis 5-1 405 10
10 Mercy 6-1 397 9
11 Rollins 8-2 373 11
12 Pace 4-1 354 14
13 Regis (CO) 5-2 348 12
14 West Chester 6-0 329 13
15 Tampa 7-2 229 18
16 Indiana (PA) 4-0 214 17
17 Queens 2-6 191 15
18 Grand Valley State 3-2 179 20
19 NYIT 4-2 160 16
20 East Stroudsburg 2-1 138 19
21 Merrimack 3-3 113 22
22 Mercyhurst 2-2 96 21
23 Lock Haven 4-1 76 25
24 Stonehill 3-2 59 24
25 Assumption 4-1 40 NR

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

IWLCA Poll for Division III, March 19
1 Gettysburg 5-0 625 25 1
2 Middlebury 5-0 596 4
3 Salisbury 6-0 569 5
4 Trinity (CT) 4-1 511 3
5 York 4-1 509 9
6 College of New Jersey 4-1 484 2
7 Mary Washington 7-1 446 6
8 Franklin & Marshall 5-2 432 8
9 Ithaca 4-1 413 7
10 Tufts 4-0 401 10
11 Amherst 5-0 360 14
12 Wesleyan (CT) 4-1 350 18
13 Messiah 4-2 308 12
14 Washington & Lee 3-4 302 11
15 Cortland 4-1 274 16
16 William Smith 3-2 244 13
17 Bowdoin 5-1 241 20
18 Geneseo 4-0 220 21
19 Colby 1-3 170 14
20 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 8-1 144 22
21 Catholic (DC) 3-4 114 19
22 Rowan 3-1 106 24
23 St. John Fisher 2-1 87 23
24 Hamilton 1-4 57 17
25 St. Mary's (MD) 4-3 40 25

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow ND outside the top 25. Deservedly so but what a fall. Don't get Navy at 12. 2-goal win over Ohio St, 1 goal win over Michigan and OT win over Colgate?? That is not the #12 team in the country. Do think the top ten D1 Poll looks pretty reasonable. Don't think JMU should be #4, but I get that they beat UNC and for now that's how the voters are voting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also don't get BC at 3. ND outside of top 25 and BC beats them by 2. BC has played no one. Only other good game was USC and they get the OT win. Those results would suggest BC is more like the 10-11 team in country maybe, not #3.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

North has a long way to go

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also don't get BC at 3. ND outside of top 25 and BC beats them by 2. BC has played no one. Only other good game was USC and they get the OT win. Those results would suggest BC is more like the 10-11 team in country maybe, not #3.

Then you would probably like the lax power RPI poll

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because BC made the run through the playoffs and to the National Championship last year and is undefeated since. Good enough for me and every poll out there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

IWLCA has BC at #3, most other polls have them at #2. You must be the I don’t like Acacia crybaby.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

IWLCA has BC at #3, most other polls have them at #2. You must be the I don’t like Acacia crybaby.

laxpower.com has BC at #8

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by baldbear
IWLCA Poll for Division I, March 19
1 Stony Brook 7-0 622 24 1
2 Maryland 6-1 586 2
3 Boston College 10-0 584 1 3
4 James Madison 8-0 540 5
5 North Carolina 6-2 535 4
6 Florida 6-2 501 6
7 Syracuse 5-2 471 7
8 Penn 7-0 424 11
9 Virginia 6-2 405 8
10 Loyola 5-2 395 13

It can stay this way to the bitter end and SB still won't get the #1 seed lolz. Then we can watch JS cry all over the media. Should be entertaining.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really? What about #11 Navy and #19 UMass. Do they count?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because BC made the run through the playoffs and to the National Championship last year and is undefeated since. Good enough for me and every poll out there.

with Kenzie Kent numb nuts. Without her last year they were not top 10.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Navy is not #11 nor do they deserve to be 12 with an OT win over colgate, 1 goal win over michigan and 2 goal win over ohio state. 2 overrated teams playing eachother is a circular argument.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

laxpower.com has BC at #8

You would think if Acacia thought she had a top team they would play at least a few decent teams in non conference games in stead of the cupcake schedule they have played. You can rank BC at #1 for all I care there is no way they win it all . If you think they are truly in the discussion you are just as blind as the poster that hates everything Acaicia .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

pay attention, both very overrated...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In Div 2, how does Queens College make it so high with a 2-6 record?...am I missing something?...curious

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Um Umass is not in the top 25.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And that #3 BC juggernaut puts a four-goal whooping on unranked Yale... Great job by the Yalies and another clear data point that BC is not the #3 team in the country.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And that #3 BC juggernaut puts a four-goal whooping on unranked Yale... Great job by the Yalies and another clear data point that BC is not the #3 team in the country.

What do you think SB, UNC, Maryland beats Yale by? Anyone one want to bet only 4??? No disrespect to Yale, they're really smart and are having a nice little season, but I would bet that Maryland beats them by 10?? Is that controversial? I think not. BC is simply ranked too high. All the evidence says so. Now if Kent plays, I'll change my tune. She makes them instantly a final 4 contender. Without her, they are in the 8-12 range.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you took the BC top player and leading scorer off of that team, would they even be in the top 10? Do they have any depth?

Page 17 of 52 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard