BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 106 of 264 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 263 264
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Point Guard

Forgive my ignorance, but what does PG stand for?

Post Graduate

It means your not one of the stand out players in your age group, so you repeat the grade so u play against younger kids.

Not quite. It most likely means you're a spectacular player that needs an additional year to get your academic standing up. Not everyone loves school, and for some it doesn't come as easy. That's what a PG was always about. A post graduate year after graduating on age from HS. Some call holdbacks PG's, they are not. They are the cheaters.

This may have been the case years ago but now it's for the unscrupulous who PG their kid or even transfer schools and repeat 8th grade so they can get an unfair advantage.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get a grip sparky! We know ur kid was brought up to varsity because your town is that bad.

-pretty sure Manhasset played for a county championship last year with an 8th grader....North Shore too....but that’s none of my business though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What happened over at Huntington? Big shake up? New Coach?? I thought they had a great Towson player as coach?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Point Guard

Post Graduate

It means your not one of the stand out players in your age group, so you repeat the grade so u play against younger kids.

Not quite. It most likely means you're a spectacular player that needs an additional year to get your academic standing up. Not everyone loves school, and for some it doesn't come as easy. That's what a PG was always about. A post graduate year after graduating on age from HS. Some call holdbacks PG's, they are not. They are the cheaters.

This may have been the case years ago but now it's for the unscrupulous who PG their kid or even transfer schools and repeat 8th grade so they can get an unfair advantage.

That's called a "hold back". Not disagreeing with your sentiment, but an on age PG is not a cheater. They graduate HS on age, then play a post grad year at a prep school that plays in a league with other PG's. Deerfield is an example of a school that plays in such a league. No unfair advantage or unscrupulous behavior. It's called bettering oneself. Get past your anger and recognize the difference.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Point Guard

Post Graduate

That's called a "hold back". Not disagreeing with your sentiment, but an on age PG is not a cheater. They graduate HS on age, then play a post grad year at a prep school that plays in a league with other PG's. Deerfield is an example of a school that plays in such a league. No unfair advantage or unscrupulous behavior. It's called bettering oneself. Get past your anger and recognize the difference.

They will never get past their anger, jealousy or bitterness. Certain people blame their shortcomings on others.

Doing a PG year is nothing new. I went to college in the mid 80's and 30% of my teammates had done a PG year (2 from LI). We also had three or four Junior College Transfers (not enough of that these days). We also had one or two kids transfer in as well as one or two transfer out. The Baltimore kids were always older than the LI kids. None of this is new. there were certainly kindergarten holdbacks from LI, Baltimore and Phily. I think the re-class in 8th grade is something new.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any Nassau/Suffolk Varsity teams bring up 8th graders??? 2022 has a lot of talent

One week in of formal practices and no one knows who will be where until an actual scrimmage or game is played - practice means nothing yet . . .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
think about what you are saying 2022 playing varsity please get off your kids band wagon and let the process take place ..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get a grip sparky! We know ur kid was brought up to varsity because your town is that bad.

-pretty sure Manhasset played for a county championship last year with an 8th grader....North Shore too....but that’s none of my business though.

NS played for a county championship??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
think about what you are saying 2022 playing varsity please get off your kids band wagon and let the process take place ..

Agree let them play . Reasons why 8th's are pulled are weak school, no talent at varsity usually. Also most 8th's that r up this year were born 2003.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Perfect way to get your kid injured. Sounds like it’s more for Daddy’s ego.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Perfect way to get your kid injured. Sounds like it’s more for Daddy’s ego.

There are exceptions and occasionally it is fine but it is generally a bad idea. Put aside the worthiness of the program, talent of the kid playing, etc., your son is in 8th grade and going to be interacting with many kids 4 years older than he is. The coach will tell the upper classman to be on their best behavior but, even when behaving, they will be discussing things that you don't need to have your 8th grade son involved in at this time in his life. One more year of growing up won't hurt him and, if that good, 4 years of varsity is still very impressive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree about the age concern. My 8th grader played varsity last year. While it was worth it for the lacrosse, the team is very important. Only half the time they spend together is on the field. The rest is in the locker room and bus etc. The conversations and after practice activities are very different in the varsity locker room than the JV locker room and especially the MS locker room. Most middle school teams are not talking about the parties and the girls the way 18 year olds are. It is, or it should be a major concern as a parent.
I had some serious conversations with my boy before and through out the season. It was something I failed to fully understand when the move was discussed beforehand

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The above may be the best BOC post and SO true.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I agree about the age concern. My 8th grader played varsity last year. While it was worth it for the lacrosse, the team is very important. Only half the time they spend together is on the field. The rest is in the locker room and bus etc. The conversations and after practice activities are very different in the varsity locker room than the JV locker room and especially the MS locker room. Most middle school teams are not talking about the parties and the girls the way 18 year olds are. It is, or it should be a major concern as a parent.
I had some serious conversations with my boy before and through out the season. It was something I failed to fully understand when the move was discussed beforehand

I'm having the same concerns about my 9th grader playing varsity. As it is he is on the younger side for a 9th grader, and he isn't into the same things that seniors are. Even though he played with these boys all summer, I'm concerned about the locker room talk. It is a different world for these younger boys, and he had some issues playing JV last year in the locker room with the 10th graders. They didn't think he belonged, and let him know it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any Nassau/Suffolk Varsity teams bring up 8th graders??? 2022 has a lot of talent

I heard 2026 is gonna be even better!!! Did you ever listen to yourself? No one cares. 99 percent of your 14 year olds have already peaked. Enjoy the game and enjoy watching your kids play. It goes fast. College even faster. The last lacrosse game I'll ever watch is the last game my kid plays in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree let them play . Reasons why 8th's are pulled are weak school, no talent at varsity usually. Also most 8th's that r up this year were born 2003.

not true - not true not ture

Each case is unique - players physical maturity, mental maturity, team needs, competitiveness of JV schedule - it is not easy for the coaches, player pr parents - CSH is not a weak team and they had an 8th grader who just graduated and it worked out well -

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
8th/9th graders on varsity is largely about the dad pounding his chest for the kid to be on Varsity and him asking to try out and be on the team and threatening to leave if he is not. 90% of the time. Dad's ego. Every now and then some holdback is that good and developed and actually belongs at that level. usually not. Go Dad's!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
8th/9th graders on varsity is largely about the dad pounding his chest for the kid to be on Varsity and him asking to try out and be on the team and threatening to leave if he is not. 90% of the time. Dad's ego. Every now and then some holdback is that good and developed and actually belongs at that level. usually not. Go Dad's!

This snow will push back or cancel the ability to scrimmage. darn

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your school's teams are not getting practice inside in the gym today, shame on them!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shame? Um, what if school is closed...?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your school's teams are not getting practice inside in the gym today, shame on them!

You do realize that if the school is closed you can't practice, anywhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Snow" = there currently isn't any on the ground where I am. What school closed today because of "weather". Back in the day, we used to just call stuff like this "March"!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Snow" = there currently isn't any on the ground where I am. What school closed today because of "weather". Back in the day, we used to just call stuff like this "March"!

We're closed at CSH and my dad's limo couldn't get me to practice today.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LOL- that 6-way this weekend is in jeapordy . . .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're an stunad. I had a long talk with my coach about the fact that I didn't want my son to play Varsity as a 9th grader, and actually set my son's expectations to not be upset if he didn't make it. The coach agreed to not pull my son up if he wouldn't be able to contribute, and we both agreed that another year of JV would be good.

My son worked his but off, hit the gym 5 days a week, worked with the older starters and earned his way up. The coach said that he will play, although there is no guarantee, and the team needs him and his ability. So don't be bitter and take away what many of these young men have earned. I applaud any 8th and 9th grader who worked their way onto the varsity team this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is great Stu... You are the 10%. They're out there. Good for you and your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son plays at one of the top schools (he was not brought up as 9th grader) . The players who were brought up deserved to be. Most HS teams are not deep enough with talent so they need to bring kids up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thursday scrimmage a bust also.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

CSH is really closed today? No snow here in LV . . .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Our school is closed today, so no practice indoor or out. Scrimmage was already moved from Wed to Thursday, and now I guess we will be looking at Friday or Saturday. Many Nassau schools are open today, so this will probably only hurt Suffolk schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
three inches, roads fine. I think they were worried about power failure again based on heavy snow on all the limbs then having to scramble to get the kids home... Lost day. stinks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're an stunad. I had a long talk with my coach about the fact that I didn't want my son to play Varsity as a 9th grader, and actually set my son's expectations to not be upset if he didn't make it. The coach agreed to not pull my son up if he wouldn't be able to contribute, and we both agreed that another year of JV would be good.

My son worked his but off, hit the gym 5 days a week, worked with the older starters and earned his way up. The coach said that he will play, although there is no guarantee, and the team needs him and his ability. So don't be bitter and take away what many of these young men have earned. I applaud any 8th and 9th grader who worked their way onto the varsity team this year.

Nice story, now tell the real one, not this nonsense

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you have a both an 8th and 9th grade playing varsity, I have to ask, "what school your kids are in?". West Hempstead??!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you have a both an 8th and 9th grade playing varsity, I have to ask, "what school your kids are in?". West Hempstead??!
That is a good one ....West Hempstead

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"I had a talk with the coach says it all"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gavone...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Other than possibly an academic or disciplinary matter there is NO REASON for parents to be speaking with high school coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no...not long talk with THE coach..he said........"I had long talk with MY coach"......again, says it all....helicopter parent...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know 20 year olds at Deerfield. I was in my 3rd year of college @ 20.

How old is Tehoke Nanticoke who played at IMG Last year. The only thing I saw was that he was 20 last year. Take out all the PGs, pre-firsts, re-classes and the real HS Rankings are;

Darien (Conn.)
Victor (N.Y.)
Chaminade (N.Y.) (does have some Re-classes)
Ward Melville (N.Y.)
St. Anthony’s (N.Y.)
Massapequa (N.Y.)
Delbarton (N.J.)
Torrey Pines (Calif.)
Conestoga (Pa.)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Other than possibly an academic or disciplinary matter there is NO REASON for parents to be speaking with high school coaches.

Aye, aye Captain!

Like Reply Quote
Page 106 of 264 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 263 264
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard