BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 313 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 312 313
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do boys in the MIAA B and C conference get recruited by colleges? Is it better to start/play for these clubs rather than bench ride for A?

It's more about your club team that will get recruited than high school team.

So, what is about the club team, as opposed to the high school team? Your response was to the question about MIAA B/C versus A. Using the hypothetical of that same player, is he better off starting/playing more for they A team as opposed to riding the bench for the AA team? I assume the answer is yes and that it makes more sense for him on that A team to play against the AA teams in tourneys to get the exposure of the college coaches? We now the drill with D1 and DIII. Do NAIA coaches recruit at summer tournaments? What about MCLA? Do NAIA team give scholarships? Do MCLA teams waive club fees?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Friends has two division 1 commits on their senior class and a top 100 kid headed to Hopkins. I also hear they have some nice young kids coming up. You can get recruited anywhere, if you can play. It's about finding a place where you will become a better player and grow academically and socially.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Matt Hogan

Matt was Head Coach at Penn before he came to MIAA.
Willie Scroggs was an assistant at Gilman before Carolina
Charley Toomey was Head Coach at Severn before going back to Loyola
I believe Buddy Beardmore was also Head Coach at Severn before going to Maryland.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Matt Hogan

I believe Buddy Beardmore was also Head Coach at Severn before going to Maryland.

Dave Cottle was the coach at Severn before he went to Loyola, not Toomey

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Matt Hogan

Toomey coached at severn in the 90's. Cottle coached there 80-82

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So Rubeor is leaving Loyola Blakefield..........who is in the running to possible take over for him?

Stanwick, Joe Cumming, Deemer Class? Can't think of a lot of LB alumni that could fill those shoes.

Any outsiders?

He isnt leaving until season is over..So long time to find someone. More than likely new coach will have some ties to Loyola. MIAA coaching is a grind with being rewarded a god like stature in the Baltimore High School lacrosse world. Well it is if you win constantly, if not prison wardens have better things said about them.

Question has any MIAA Head coaches gone on to coach at College Level?

John Haus, DC at Loyola B to Hopkins and UNC, More kids go straight collegiate positions now rather than go to high school first. More $$ in college coaching now vs. past. Faster path to HC in college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Matt Hogan

You shouldn't correct people when you don't know what you are talking about, makes you look silly

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which teams/players are looking good in early season scrimmages? Any early indications on under or over rated teams?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it ever OK to talk to a HS coach about your kid.... struggling with this....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The first question is "has your son tried to talk to him about the issue?"
second question is the question about postion,playing time or how the coach is treating your son?
I think people should be able to help you if you answer these questions.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your son certainly should talk to the coach first. Depends on what you want to talk about.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Playing time questions should only be handled by the player. period. Its about the kids learning to deal with authority figures or even getting cut. I've had kids get cut from JV teams as a freshman only to make all state as a senior and play D1. Getting cut was my son's "fuel" for his high school athletic career. Not a fun time in our home but a great life lesson about taking tryouts dead seriously.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Got the advertisement for UA tryouts this summer. Who actually thinks these are real tryouts for all positions.
If you look at the players that make teams, majority revolve around coach and coaches of teams. Not just their players but players they know or other coaches they know.

To me it looks like a tryout for no more than half of the team. The rest are already in the tank. Is my perception right??

And of course with MD teams the age factor is an issue too. My question is more related to actual picking of players

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Got the advertisement for UA tryouts this summer. Who actually thinks these are real tryouts for all positions.
If you look at the players that make teams, majority revolve around coach and coaches of teams. Not just their players but players they know or other coaches they know.

To me it looks like a tryout for no more than half of the team. The rest are already in the tank. Is my perception right??

And of course with MD teams the age factor is an issue too. My question is more related to actual picking of players

Well known fact. Many stay away from the Baltimore tryouts for this reason. Your estimate of half is conservative.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Undoubtedly true but shouldn’t a surprise. I think the evaluators try to be impartial but if you’ve watched a kid play or coached against a kid (for a year or years in youth lacrosse), you have seen even more of them than a tryout allows. There are plenty of non-MIAA evaluators but the top players largely play in the MIAA-A and on the top club teams and so aren’t a mystery and hard to disguise them with a number pinney. So it stands to reason that coaches from the top programs have top players there or are familiar with them otherwise. I’m sure the Long Island evaluators and coaches are similar. Team 91/Express etc players from Chaminade or St Anthony’s are not only some of the best players, but likely to be well known to the coaches. Would be true in hockey or soccer I suspect... Is there a hidden bias, all else being equal, if a kid is wearing a Loyola or BL or McD lid vs a Fallston kid? Probably. But it also means that kid probably plays with or against top talent every day which just isn’t true with every team in MD. (There’s a good video on YouTube on the UA tryouts)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Undoubtedly true but shouldn’t a surprise. I think the evaluators try to be impartial but if you’ve watched a kid play or coached against a kid (for a year or years in youth lacrosse), you have seen even more of them than a tryout allows. There are plenty of non-MIAA evaluators but the top players largely play in the MIAA-A and on the top club teams and so aren’t a mystery and hard to disguise them with a number pinney. So it stands to reason that coaches from the top programs have top players there or are familiar with them otherwise. I’m sure the Long Island evaluators and coaches are similar. Team 91/Express etc players from Chaminade or St Anthony’s are not only some of the best players, but likely to be well known to the coaches. Would be true in hockey or soccer I suspect... Is there a hidden bias, all else being equal, if a kid is wearing a Loyola or BL or McD lid vs a Fallston kid? Probably. But it also means that kid probably plays with or against top talent every day which just isn’t true with every team in MD. (There’s a good video on YouTube on the UA tryouts)

Well said and factual. I am an evaluator and your spot on. Comes down to the kids that play against the top competition regularly are given the benefit of the doubt. and 9 times out 10 they are the better players and show it. Just the way it is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Undoubtedly true but shouldn’t a surprise. I think the evaluators try to be impartial but if you’ve watched a kid play or coached against a kid (for a year or years in youth lacrosse), you have seen even more of them than a tryout allows. There are plenty of non-MIAA evaluators but the top players largely play in the MIAA-A and on the top club teams and so aren’t a mystery and hard to disguise them with a number pinney. So it stands to reason that coaches from the top programs have top players there or are familiar with them otherwise. I’m sure the Long Island evaluators and coaches are similar. Team 91/Express etc players from Chaminade or St Anthony’s are not only some of the best players, but likely to be well known to the coaches. Would be true in hockey or soccer I suspect... Is there a hidden bias, all else being equal, if a kid is wearing a Loyola or BL or McD lid vs a Fallston kid? Probably. But it also means that kid probably plays with or against top talent every day which just isn’t true with every team in MD. (There’s a good video on YouTube on the UA tryouts)

Well said and factual. I am an evaluator and your spot on. Comes down to the kids that play against the top competition regularly are given the benefit of the doubt. and 9 times out 10 they are the better players and show it. Just the way it is.

Baltimore tryouts during finals week 5/30-31 5pm -9pm w/ SAT Exam on Saturday. Will be tough during cunch time for these kids. DC's tryout 6/12-13

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Baltimore tryouts during finals week 5/30-31 5pm -9pm w/ SAT Exam on Saturday. Will be tough during cunch time for these kids. DC's tryout 6/12-13

The problem is people lie, they say we are not looking at the helmet only the pinnie number. I remember five years ago 2 evaluators said my kid on that day was one of the 5 best middies at the try outs, also they tell you if you don't try you can't make team, also BS. All the kids pick were on the Turtles and 91 Orange.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The problem is people lie, they say we are not looking at the helmet only the pinnie number. I remember five years ago 2 evaluators said my kid on that day was one of the 5 best middies at the try outs, also they tell you if you don't try you can't make team, also BS. All the kids pick were on the Turtles and 91 Orange.

True making the team is a crap shoot if you're not plugged in and elevators know you. However I have heard of surprise picks every year. College coaches do come these evaluations (at least in Baltimore and probably LI, Philly etc) so there is an opportunity to at least be in front of these guys. And it's open to all no matter what school or club...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True making the team is a crap shoot if you're not plugged in and elevators know you. However I have heard of surprise picks every year. College coaches do come these evaluations (at least in Baltimore and probably LI, Philly etc) so there is an opportunity to at least be in front of these guys. And it's open to all no matter what school or club...

May be open to all but the team is pretty much decided based on politics and cliques. In Baltimore region it is a waste of time and most kids know that. The "in" kids know they are shoe ins and the other kids who think it is an objective event go and become the token 1 or 2. The quality players without the right last name or legacy stay away as the ball never gets passed and the attitudes are sky high. Better to stay home and hit the wall to prep for team events.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

May be open to all but the team is pretty much decided based on politics and cliques. In Baltimore region it is a waste of time and most kids know that. The "in" kids know they are shoe ins and the other kids who think it is an objective event go and become the token 1 or 2. The quality players without the right last name or legacy stay away as the ball never gets passed and the attitudes are sky high. Better to stay home and hit the wall to prep for team events.

What is the cost of this vary fair open to all Tryout this year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is the cost of this vary fair open to all Tryout this year?

$190

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Man its only $190. How much field time do you get for this amount? and how many fields are being played on at a time? and how many coaches are really there to watch these tryouts? This might be a good deal?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think this the prefect time of year to talk about what Showcases and camps everyone is going to this summer? Please talk about what showcases you have attended and if you liked them or not?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Plus if you arent an over age future true 10 grader or 12 grader....You have even less of a chance. Baltimore should be advertised as any 10 grade or 12 grade prefirst/heldback/reclassed players come try out.. It was so bad last year...Even the guru of recruiting Ty said something had to be done about age differences. It was that obvious/ Sad state for lacrosse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Plus if you arent an over age future true 10 grader or 12 grader....You have even less of a chance. Baltimore should be advertised as any 10 grade or 12 grade prefirst/heldback/reclassed players come try out.. It was so bad last year...Even the guru of recruiting Ty said something had to be done about age differences. It was that obvious/ Sad state for lacrosse

With the change in recruiting to later years, it seems like this is a solution looking for a problem. So my kid's team loses more games in HoCo as an 8th grader, he'll get better for it and the advantage goes away by sophomore year in H.S.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

$190 is a waste if the only motivation for participating is making the team. I see UA tryouts as an opportunity to compete against the best kids in the region. If a kid plays like one of the best the college coaches in attendance will take note - even if he doesn't make the team. And if he doesn't he'll know he has work to do

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You get an awesome t-shirt for $190!

All kidding aside I thought it was a good event (DC). I would say that the evaluators have their team already set, so the outsiders (public school and mostly on age kids) have a very remote chance of making the final roster unless they are really exceptional and have an opportunity to shine. The evaluators are primarily the private school (IAC & WCAC) coaches and they know all of the private school kids. I would agree that most of those kids are the best players, so it is hard to argue with the results and final roster. A lot of talented kids to choose from for the final roster.

Attended the DC UA tryouts last year and my son was selected to play in the final cut down game, but did not make the final UA team representing DC. Which was fair! I thought he deserved to be in the final cut down game, but did not standout well enough to make the final roster. A moral victory I guess! He is a on age, public school kid and is committed to a mid-level D1 program. It was a great event to gauge his abilities with his peers. Especially for the public school kids that aren't blessed with the daily competitive environment that the private kids are exposed to.

There were three or four preliminary games then approximately 40 kids are selected to play in the final cut down game before the final roster is chosen to represent your region. I think there were about 200 kids trying out for each team of rising 9th/10th graders and 11th/12th graders for DC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So Rubeor is leaving Loyola Blakefield..........who is in the running to possible take over for him?

Stanwick, Joe Cumming, Deemer Class? Can't think of a lot of LB alumni that could fill those shoes.

Any outsiders?

He isnt leaving until season is over..So long time to find someone. More than likely new coach will have some ties to Loyola. MIAA coaching is a grind with being rewarded a god like stature in the Baltimore High School lacrosse world. Well it is if you win constantly, if not prison wardens have better things said about them.

John Haus, DC at Loyola B to Hopkins and UNC, More kids go straight collegiate positions now rather than go to high school first. More $$ in college coaching now vs. past. Faster path to HC in college.

There have been a ton of assistant coaches go on to the college ranks, the question was MIAA Head Coaches, John was also head coach at Washington College and now Lebanon Valley

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any outsiders?

Ubriaco is new coach for the Dons

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

Plus if you arent an over age future true 10 grader or 12 grader....You have even less of a chance. Baltimore should be advertised as any 10 grade or 12 grade prefirst/heldback/reclassed players come try out.. It was so bad last year...Even the guru of recruiting Ty said something had to be done about age differences. It was that obvious/ Sad state for lacrosse[/quote]

blah, blah, blah older kids blah, blah blah, old news, just move on......and ty xander is an ass [ChillLaxin], hardly a guru of recruiting, whoever is buying him beer that night gets his kid mentioned, he is not evaluating any talent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any outsiders?

With some strong assistants coming in with him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any outsiders?

With some strong assistants coming in with him.

who are assistants?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All kidding aside I thought it was a good event (DC). I would say that the evaluators have their team already set, so the outsiders (public school and mostly on age kids) have a very remote chance of making the final roster unless they are really exceptional and have an opportunity to shine. The evaluators are primarily the private school (IAC & WCAC) coaches and they know all of the private school kids. I would agree that most of those kids are the best players, so it is hard to argue with the results and final roster. A lot of talented kids to choose from for the final roster.

Attended the DC UA tryouts last year and my son was selected to play in the final cut down game, but did not make the final UA team representing DC. Which was fair! I thought he deserved to be in the final cut down game, but did not standout well enough to make the final roster. A moral victory I guess! He is a on age, public school kid and is committed to a mid-level D1 program. It was a great event to gauge his abilities with his peers. Especially for the public school kids that aren't blessed with the daily competitive environment that the private kids are exposed to.

There were three or four preliminary games then approximately 40 kids are selected to play in the final cut down game before the final roster is chosen to represent your region. I think there were about 200 kids trying out for each team of rising 9th/10th graders and 11th/12th graders for DC.

Anyone know whether the NXT Baltimore Showcase June 14 @ Towson U is quality event? I know their Philly showcase gets a lot of college coaches. This one was new last year. Would it be a good one for mid D1 or D2/3 prospects?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

blah, blah, blah older kids blah, blah blah, old news, just move on......and ty xander is an ass [ChillLaxin], hardly a guru of recruiting, whoever is buying him beer that night gets his kid mentioned, he is not evaluating any talent

There is no one that has a detailed lacrosse recruiting website like Xanders. Just cause you dont like him ( did your holdback kid get overlooked) doesn't mean his site isn't informative. Like all recruiting websites, he gets it right sometimes and other times, not so right.
And for Xanders to say something about overage private school players is something. That means it is out of hand as most of us can see. His main emphasis is on private schools and their players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Confirms what most of us think. The players are already picked. Its just a tryout for a few players. Your approach is a good one. Does let some players go against outstanding players they would normally not see. $190..is probably worth it just for that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is no one that has a detailed lacrosse recruiting website like Xanders. Just cause you dont like him ( did your holdback kid get overlooked) doesn't mean his site isn't informative. Like all recruiting websites, he gets it right sometimes and other times, not so right.
And for Xanders to say something about overage private school players is something. That means it is out of hand as most of us can see. His main emphasis is on private schools and their players.

Sorry Mrs. Xander, didn't mean to offend your boy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No prob. I will make sure your holdback gets a shout out next time. Promise.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where is Rubeor going?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No prob. I will make sure your holdback gets a shout out next time. Promise.

blah blah blah

Like Reply Quote
Page 23 of 313 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 312 313
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard