BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 51 52
Re: 2018 Women's DI, II & III College Lacrosse Season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Boston College looks deep, 18 reminds me of Rix and Apuzzo is nasty. Can they beat UNC this year?

If they can’t beat UNC this year they probably never will. UNC has been starting 5 or so freshmen and another 2-3 who never started an NCAA game prior to this year .As far as BC being deep , they are never deep and run their offense generally thru 2-3 girls .I will still take UNC this year but should be a good game.

Did you not watch BC at all last year, everyone on the offense was a threat, and next will be the best BC team ever Kent(rumored) and #1 recruiting class. Also Apuzzo will be back, easily team to beat next year.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boston College looks deep, 18 reminds me of Rix and Apuzzo is nasty. Can they beat UNC this year?

Possibly, But they still stink, if Spallina had this team, they'd have won 5 trophies. I dont get why people from LI go here and not SB.

Because its a Boston College Education in a cool city dumb ass. Geesh!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Possibly, But they still stink, if Spallina had this team, they'd have won 5 trophies. I dont get why people from LI go here and not SB.

People choose schools for various reasons and though SB has a great lax program, it isn't the end all be all. Boston is a great City for young people and is a great place with lots of intern/career opportunities closer than a 1 1/2 hr train ride. There are also lots of other schools that provide a different student and student athlete experience that girls desire and prefer. Not to mention they may want to get away from home and experience another part of the country.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because its a Boston College Education in a cool city dumb ass. Geesh!

Maybe because BC is a way better school and doesn't look like prison!!! The Bc program has accomplished more than SB and will be better than SB in years to come, the coach cultivates talent over 4 years and is getting blue chip recruits.

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

The two schools are really an apples vs oranges comparison. Not knocking Stony Brook but hard to compare a SUNY with a private school. Also Suffolk County/Port Jefferson is not Boston and the campuses are completely different. There was mention of internships and career opportunities in another post in the Boston area and they are dead on. Boston is on Amazon's short list for the second headquarters just on the young talent alone in the Boston area.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Why can't schools like Stanford, most Ivy's, Bucknell, Villanova, Richmond, Ohio State, Rutgers etc... Be more competitive? There are a lot of great schools that would be the right fit for a lot of kids yet they can't find a way to field a competitive team.

Is it coaching or is there simply not enough talent?

Maybe yes and yes. The real issue is a commitment from the university to the sport. Remember that the schools you mentioned (all schools with athletic programs) have many varsity sports (and club sports). All sports must be funded, recruited, marketed, etc. You would think Harvard would get studs every year but they don't.

I can tell first hand Villanova does not support women's lacrosse. Fine school and lacrosse gets you in and they throw a couple of bucks your way you are doing all right. Just don't expect to compete. They have a great men's basketball team ($$$$) but a so-so women's basketball team (competitive this year). Same sport, different support.

You mentioned "right fit". What does that mean? Villanova could be a right fit--good engineer, nursing and business school. You have a bright student that wants to play lacrosse Nova might be the place. Actually any of the schools might be the "right fit". D3 might be the "right fit". NESCAC schools such as Hamilton, Middlebury, Williams, Tufts, Amherst, etc are very difficult to get accepted and have great lacrosse without the time commitments of D1. Maybe that is the "right fit" if you have a bright student who wants to study pre-med.

If the "right fit" is just getting on a top 20 D1 team then you are missing the point of higher education and setting up your child for possible failure. Check out some of my older posts as I did a four year study of the class of 2013 from the NY Metro area. Only 53% of students recruited to play lacrosse in college were on the roster their senior year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There's a YJ Dad running around telling people his daughter received a 100% full athletic scholarship to Notre Dame. With 33 players on current roster, I find this hard to believe. Can anyone tell me the likelihood of this being true?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by baldbear
Why can't schools like Stanford, most Ivy's, Bucknell, Villanova, Richmond, Ohio State, Rutgers etc... Be more competitive? There are a lot of great schools that would be the right fit for a lot of kids yet they can't find a way to field a competitive team.

Is it coaching or is there simply not enough talent?

Maybe yes and yes. The real issue is a commitment from the university to the sport. Remember that the schools you mentioned (all schools with athletic programs) have many varsity sports (and club sports). All sports must be funded, recruited, marketed, etc. You would think Harvard would get studs every year but they don't.

I can tell first hand Villanova does not support women's lacrosse. Fine school and lacrosse gets you in and they throw a couple of bucks your way you are doing all right. Just don't expect to compete. They have a great men's basketball team ($$$$) but a so-so women's basketball team (competitive this year). Same sport, different support.

You mentioned "right fit". What does that mean? Villanova could be a right fit--good engineer, nursing and business school. You have a bright student that wants to play lacrosse Nova might be the place. Actually any of the schools might be the "right fit". D3 might be the "right fit". NESCAC schools such as Hamilton, Middlebury, Williams, Tufts, Amherst, etc are very difficult to get accepted and have great lacrosse without the time commitments of D1. Maybe that is the "right fit" if you have a bright student who wants to study pre-med.

If the "right fit" is just getting on a top 20 D1 team then you are missing the point of higher education and setting up your child for possible failure. Check out some of my older posts as I did a four year study of the class of 2013 from the NY Metro area. Only 53% of students recruited to play lacrosse in college were on the roster their senior year.

There is not enough talent. The best players are recruited by the best programs and most choose to attend and play for one of those schools. Some very good players slip through the cracks and there is a small percentage who choose non powerhouse programs but for the most part the top players go to the top programs (that is why they are the top programs). The best players have their choice of school and most can find the right "fit" at one of the top 10 - 15 programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There's a YJ Dad running around telling people his daughter received a 100% full athletic scholarship to Notre Dame. With 33 players on current roster, I find this hard to believe. Can anyone tell me the likelihood of this being true?

It is possible but unlikely. Top recruits will receive generous offers but 100% at a school like ND is probably not true.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
False.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Notre Dame de Namur University..in Cali.......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is possible but unlikely. Top recruits will receive generous offers but 100% at a school like ND is probably not true.

Completely false that they are getting 100 % price of attendance. Its possible but unlikely that they may be getting 100% tuition but would need to be a top 10 player in the country so that narrows who you are talking about and I could see her crazy mom saying it but not her dad.

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Not something Halfpenny normally does so I'd be surprised. I also don't see a recruit that would fit the bill to be honest, but maybe I'm wrong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This has been a topic on here for a long time. The answer is YES, I have seen top programs give 100% full ATHLETIC for the top recruits. If anyone tells you that it never happens they are just ignorant. Now, is it more likely that it is a combination of athletic ,academic and/or financial? probably, but if he is willing to say all athletic, I guess you need to take his word for it. It does happen!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Completely false that they are getting 100 % price of attendance. Its possible but unlikely that they may be getting 100% tuition but would need to be a top 10 player in the country so that narrows who you are talking about and I could see her crazy mom saying it but not her dad.

How do you know its completely false? because YOUR daughter did not get offered a full scholarship? Speak for yourself and your own experience. Especially don't call people out, when you have no idea who the original poster was referring to. Haters always Hate!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People should carefully read what Bald Bear has written over the years. Very realistic and well thought out. The 53% of LI college players actually still playing by the time they are seniors is a real eye opener as is the info he has provided on D2 and D3 opportunities. Once you go through the process with your 1st kid you perspective really changes for the 2nd 3rd and 4th. Find the right college fit, push the books and enjoy the ride because the fact is very very few have the talent or good fortune to win a national championship

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ND meets all need, so if you don't make any money you can pretty much go for free. Also, there's not any YJ player form 2018-2021 that would merit full athletic ride, not even close.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've been through this. There is no way a school would give out a full athletic scholarship to 1 girl. I don't care who she is. You must have misunderstood the gentleman from the YJ. Her package had to be some academic money and/or a school grant and/or financial aid. All these together, could very well be 100%.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NEVER 100% athletic. academic + athletic + school grant + financial aid = 100%.. YES
I do this for a living. Use your head, they have 30 girls on team and 12 scholarships.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NEVER 100% athletic. academic + athletic + school grant + financial aid = 100%.. YES
I do this for a living. Use your head, they have 30 girls on team and 12 scholarships.

Maybe your daughter needed grants and financial aid ... maybe the girl you are talking about didnt... Only the coach, the parents and the player would know that...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ND meets all need, so if you don't make any money you can pretty much go for free. Also, there's not any YJ player form 2018-2021 that would merit full athletic ride, not even close.

LOL, jealous loser

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop starting trouble. I'm sure if a girl is getting a full ride, her parents wouldn't be going around bragging about it . It's the kids that aren't getting anything, their parents are the loud mouth crazy ones.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Genius.. The coach is going to give academic, grants and financial aid before athletic money. Why should a coach give up an athletic scholarship (that are very limited) if you don't have to. You could have 10 girls on a team getting 100% scholarship, but each girls is only getting 20% of an athletic scholarship ( which is a total of 2 athletic scholarships).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and there isn't a YJ dad that is a gentleman in the entire YJ program. LOL

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've been through this. There is no way a school would give out a full athletic scholarship to 1 girl. I don't care who she is. You must have misunderstood the gentleman from the YJ. Her package had to be some academic money and/or a school grant and/or financial aid. All these together, could very well be 100%.

YOU are Wrong!!!! Trust me! I personally know a few that received 100% ATHLETIC!! It is funny how some people are so definitive about what OTHERS received . How do YOU know? You don't!!!! I write this because a parent of a top recruit may get 100% or close and will be afraid to ask for it because people tell them that it doesnt happen!!! Don't be afraid to ask for more. The coach will let you know what your daughter is worth to them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Genius.. The coach is going to give academic, grants and financial aid before athletic money. Why should a coach give up an athletic scholarship (that are very limited) if you don't have to. You could have 10 girls on a team getting 100% scholarship, but each girls is only getting 20% of an athletic scholarship ( which is a total of 2 athletic scholarships).

You are right! Most of the time they will offer academic, financial aid etc.. to the kids they don't deem impact players or parents dumb enough to take scholarship/aid that can change from year to year depending on your Tax return and daughters grades. The parents that are smart, know that the more athletic money you get, the better off you are! If the school really wants your daughter they will anti up the Athletic scholarship (in some cases 100%), they will give the "packages" to the parents willing to take them. I assume you are a parent who took the "package"? Who is the genius now?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cant combine athletic and financial aid. Can combine athletic and academic $.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Completely false that they are getting 100 % price of attendance. Its possible but unlikely that they may be getting 100% tuition but would
need to be a top 10 player in the country so that narrows who you are talking about and I could see her crazy mom saying it but not her dad.

How do you know its completely false? because YOUR daughter did not get offered a full scholarship? Speak for yourself and your own experience. Especially don't call people out, when you have no idea who the original poster was referring to. Haters always Hate!

How do I know , because I am friends w Halfpenney since I was with her staff since her WM days so I am speaking from my own experience .I will also tell you she will not be happy if parents are discussing their athletic scholorships that their kids are being offered..As far as hating , I don’t really care my kids went thru college a long time ago and you are right in terms of who the original poster was talking about I really have no idea just going by what others have said.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Completely false that they are getting 100 % price of attendance. Its possible but unlikely that they may be getting 100% tuition but would
need to be a top 10 player in the country so that narrows who you are talking about and I could see her crazy mom saying it but not her dad.

How do I know , because I am friends w Halfpenney since I was with her staff since her WM days so I am speaking from my own experience .I will also tell you she will not be happy if parents are discussing their athletic scholorships that their kids are being offered..As far as hating , I don’t really care my kids went thru college a long time ago and you are right in terms of who the original poster was talking about I really have no idea just going by what others have said.

Please tell your friend to wake up and start doing something with all the talent she is given every year. BTW her 2018/19/20 recruiting classes look very weak

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are right! Most of the time they will offer academic, financial aid etc.. to the kids they don't deem impact players or parents dumb enough to take scholarship/aid that can change from year to year depending on your Tax return and daughters grades. The parents that are smart, know that the more athletic money you get, the better off you are! If the school really wants your daughter they will anti up the Athletic scholarship (in some cases 100%), they will give the "packages" to the parents willing to take them. I assume you are a parent who took the "package"? Who is the genius now?

According to bald bear research 50% of girls recruited are not on the roster for all four years, academic and need based grants don't go away, that money will be there all four years. I have heard of kids being told they're not getting any athletic money because need based money is going to cover most if not all their tuition expenses and the coach doesn't want to waste scholarship money if that's the case

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Completely false that they are getting 100 % price of attendance. Its
possible but unlikely that they may be getting 100% tuition but would

Please tell your friend to wake up and start doing something with all the talent she is given every year. BTW her 2018/19/20 recruiting classes look very weak

Actually her 2019 RE ruining class is one of those he better ones .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop starting trouble. I'm sure if a girl is getting a full ride, her parents wouldn't be going around bragging about it . It's the kids that aren't getting anything, their parents are the loud mouth crazy ones.

Have you met YJ parents???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Academic is always the best route in keeping your money. Do well and you keep the cash for all 4 years. Financial needs change every year and coaches, rosters and the players motivation to keep playing also changes every year. Remember only at half of all college players play all 4 years.

Make sure your kid is at a school she's happy at in case she wants to quit the sport or gets injured. Rarely is it a good thing if you picking a school solely for athletics

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't give a crap where the money comes from, FA, athletic, academic, grant, under table from coach, as long as it = 100%.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Northwestrn at Duke

Two teams trying to get back to where they were.

Northwestrn 14 Duke 11

Check that. Fredericks out. Duke freshman attacker is outstanding.

Both teams look fast and athletic. Duke underrated.

Duke looks better but early.

North outstanding. Fredericks in and that game goes to NU. Both those teams are ranked too low. That was a game between two top 10 teams, not 11 and 19. That's why these preseason polls r so bad. Now NU will drop from where there are despite being a top 10 team. Duke will move up, but not nearly as high as they should.

Penn State should be ranked below Duke and NU for example. Will it happen, doubt it.

Is Duke now overrated after today’s loss? Let them play 10 games or so before stating your official rankings.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The end of Hofstra game is why SS is in way over her head The lead w the Ball man up with under a minute to go blow the lead lose in OT

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Northwestrn at Duke

Two teams trying to get back to where they were.

Northwestrn 14 Duke 11

Check that. Fredericks out. Duke freshman attacker is outstanding.

Both teams look fast and athletic. Duke underrated.

Duke looks better but early.

North outstanding. Fredericks in and that game goes to NU. Both those teams are ranked too low. That was a game between two top 10 teams, not 11 and 19. That's why these preseason polls r so bad. Now NU will drop from where there are despite being a top 10 team. Duke will move up, but not nearly as high as they should.

Penn State should be ranked below Duke and NU for example. Will it happen, doubt it.

Is Duke now overrated after today’s loss? Let them play 10 games or so before stating your official rankings.

Ahhhh. You can't understand anything until it's already done and you have perfect information. Gotcha. Most occupations and most athletic endeavors require predicting what will happen ahead of time with uncertain information. I guess you don't have a very interesting occupation and likely have very little insight into athletic endeavors. Shame.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would say at the start of the season Duke , PSU over rated while JMU and UVA under rated . I also think BC is way overrated at this point .In the end would it surprise anyone if UNC, MD, Fl, SB are the last 4 standing .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Am I the only one angry that if you go to ESPN.com you can get Rugby and Cricket threads but not Lacrosse. Do they even know Lacrosse is a sport

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't count out Syracuse

Page 5 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard