BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 35 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 34 35
Re: Duke's Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm interested to know if any parents on here have kids who've experienced lacrosse fatigue? Do any of your kids get tired of try outs and clinics and some of the other "extras" that come with the game. I read some of this and I get the sense that all kids are always all in. I'll be the first to admit that that isn't always the case with my son. Second question: What do you do when your kid has tons of talent, but is losing enthusiasm for the game?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm interested to know if any parents on here have kids who've experienced lacrosse fatigue? Do any of your kids get tired of try outs and clinics and some of the other "extras" that come with the game. I read some of this and I get the sense that all kids are always all in. I'll be the first to admit that that isn't always the case with my son. Second question: What do you do when your kid has tons of talent, but is losing enthusiasm for the game?

Simple, If it's mid season tell him he has to finish the season due to his commitment to the team, but doesn't have to play next year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did the Duke weekend in Durham go?

It was another great mini-camp; kids had a blast and my son enjoyed seeing the University of Duke!! Hey the game on Sunday got moved up so everyone was able to get home to see the Super Bowl!! See to the gentlemen that was upset about a Sunday Game; no issues and both kids and parents had a blast!

Oh my gosh! That's amazing! The University of Duke!

Duke University; lord this forum has turned into a complete joke. Everyone is so quick to jump on others and bring nothing but negativity. Your poor kids.

You don't know my kids, but you'd know how completely wrong you are if you did. The last thing they need is your sympathy. Great job getting it right on the second go with Duke. Negativity? If that's what you want to call reality, so be it. Just because you won't look at it, doesn't mean it's not there. Go look up some stats, there is a blog on this site, to see if the investment in all this fun is really sensible. Of course you are going to justify the amount of lacrosse time you allow your son to play. And, of course he loves it all and will be afforded a greater chance of success the more he plays. Show me the stats that somehow justify the increasing commitment seemingly required of youth lacrosse players. Sorry to bring you down, but I care as much about what you think as apparently you do about what I think. I do care that your kid could get burnt out and lose the joy for the sport.

Sir you obviously do not know my son as well. I think you are being completely irrational to assume ALL kids fall into the category of Lacrosse Fatigue. It exists we are all aware just like in al sports; however, with my son we have excellent communication, he has a love for the game, he wants to compete at a high level....so why is it so wrong with giving him that experience? After each mini-camp/game etc. we talk; are you having fun, is this something you want to continue to do and so on. I think it is important to have this open dialogue with your son and if he were to say "Dad I am tired or this is no longer fun" guess what.....we stop!!!! This is not difficult if you have that type of relationship with your child. So SORRY TO BRING YOU DOWN, but many more kids enjoy this experience than not!! If this is not for your son hopefully he shared that with you and you made changes. I for one have seen my sons love for the game intensify as we travel from city to city enjoying what other areas of the country have to offer in terms of a learning experience. This format for us; at least, is not all about lacrosse. Sorry you disagree but again we are all different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You take a break and take them fishing!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You take a break and take them fishing!

Yes!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It was another great mini-camp; kids had a blast and my son enjoyed seeing the University of Duke!! Hey the game on Sunday got moved up so everyone was able to get home to see the Super Bowl!! See to the gentlemen that was upset about a Sunday Game; no issues and both kids and parents had a blast!

Duke University; lord this forum has turned into a complete joke. Everyone is so quick to jump on others and bring nothing but negativity. Your poor kids.

You don't know my kids, but you'd know how completely wrong you are if you did. The last thing they need is your sympathy. Great job getting it right on the second go with Duke. Negativity? If that's what you want to call reality, so be it. Just because you won't look at it, doesn't mean it's not there. Go look up some stats, there is a blog on this site, to see if the investment in all this fun is really sensible. Of course you are going to justify the amount of lacrosse time you allow your son to play. And, of course he loves it all and will be afforded a greater chance of success the more he plays. Show me the stats that somehow justify the increasing commitment seemingly required of youth lacrosse players. Sorry to bring you down, but I care as much about what you think as apparently you do about what I think. I do care that your kid could get burnt out and lose the joy for the sport.

Sir you obviously do not know my son as well. I think you are being completely irrational to assume ALL kids fall into the category of Lacrosse Fatigue. It exists we are all aware just like in al sports; however, with my son we have excellent communication, he has a love for the game, he wants to compete at a high level....so why is it so wrong with giving him that experience? After each mini-camp/game etc. we talk; are you having fun, is this something you want to continue to do and so on. I think it is important to have this open dialogue with your son and if he were to say "Dad I am tired or this is no longer fun" guess what.....we stop!!!! This is not difficult if you have that type of relationship with your child. So SORRY TO BRING YOU DOWN, but many more kids enjoy this experience than not!! If this is not for your son hopefully he shared that with you and you made changes. I for one have seen my sons love for the game intensify as we travel from city to city enjoying what other areas of the country have to offer in terms of a learning experience. This format for us; at least, is not all about lacrosse. Sorry you disagree but again we are all different.

Yawn

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Simple, If it's mid season tell him he has to finish the season due to his commitment to the team, but doesn't have to play next year.

I'm looking for a solution between the two extremes. Something between what your kid does and nothing at all. Somewhere where sanity and moderation prevails.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You haven't brought me down. I don't presume to know how many kids enjoy the experience. I'm in this lacrosse community too at the most competitive level, and if you don't think that some parents are over-committing their kids, you are kidding yourself. Every team has them and their zeal is fueling the growth of the Natl team concept. I'm brought down by them and I'm not sure why you're defending them because you don't appear to be one of them. This format works for your family and that's great.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sir?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm looking for a solution between the two extremes. Something between what your kid does and nothing at all. Somewhere where sanity and moderation prevails.

That is the Lacrosse Unicorn my friend!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My favorite response! Truth. Go Birds!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid is good enough you can do whatever you want. You just feel pressured to do more cause everyone else is. Don’t buy into it if you don’t want to. The only ones that care are the ones making money off you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid is good enough you can do whatever you want. You just feel pressured to do more cause everyone else is. Don’t buy into it if you don’t want to. The only ones that care are the ones making money off you.

That's it. Parental peer pressure. "Your kid is good enough so why aren't you signing him up? It's good for him. Don't deny him the opportunity." That would seem to be the general consensus on this thread. Don't "buy into it" is spot on both literally and figuratively. Thanks for the feedback.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have to ask the question you’re doing to much, ask and listen to your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you aren't getting your kid involved with the dukes national team you are doing him a disservice. It is hands down the best coaching environment and you can not replicate the experience with the ballers on the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you aren't getting your kid involved with the dukes national team you are doing him a disservice. It is hands down the best coaching environment and you can not replicate the experience with the ballers on the field.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii G!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is a ridiculous shameful plug by Dukes Nationals Management. Save your money, time and aggravation by not listening to this or joining Duke's Nationals train wreck. The program has steadily been going down hill since they changed coaches and are constantly emailing and texting about payments that should be paid for ridiculous reasons 2018-2019 min camps already and discount on 2018 spring/summer tournaments if you pay early, how and why would we pay early if we do not know where our sons are on the depth chart, I forgot there has not been a depth chart since November!!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is a ridiculous shameful plug by Dukes Nationals Management. Save your money, time and aggravation by not listening to this or joining Duke's Nationals train wreck. The program has steadily been going down hill since they changed coaches and are constantly emailing and texting about payments that should be paid for ridiculous reasons 2018-2019 min camps already and discount on 2018 spring/summer tournaments if you pay early, how and why would we pay early if we do not know where our sons are on the depth chart, I forgot there has not been a depth chart since November!!!!!!!

Caveat emptor. Thank you for this perspective. I hate that term ballers. I feel like everyone who uses it is a, well, you know. Thanks again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So here’s the problem with dukes. Everyone pay attention - The depth chart comes out for the 24 team. And a kid who had not been to one mini camp in forever. Didn’t go to Florida , didn’t go to the last minicamp even though it was in his home state Is still #4 on the depth chart ahead of kids who always show up. G what is wrong with you? This is why half your philly players will go to brotherly love national team and end up spanking you this summer. If you readers pay attention , I’m really not sure how you can ever give this man a dime

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
spot on Anonymous! except G would never enter a tournament against a team like Brotherly Love because he only picks teams that he can beat by double digits even with him as the coach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not to mention the team they scheduled sucked and it was a joke. on a brighter note EAGLES!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So here’s the problem with dukes. Everyone pay attention - The depth chart comes out for the 24 team. And a kid who had not been to one mini camp in forever. Didn’t go to Florida , didn’t go to the last minicamp even though it was in his home state Is still #4 on the depth chart ahead of kids who always show up. G what is wrong with you? This is why half your philly players will go to brotherly love national team and end up spanking you this summer. If you readers pay attention , I’m really not sure how you can ever give this man a dime

This is an interesting perspective. We were at the 2nd Brotherly Love National Tryouts at Episcopal on Friday Night. The coach running the tryouts answered questions at the end and several of them seemed to tie into the Dukes "approach" I believe the gentleman running the tryout was one of the founders of Brotherly Love and he made a point that there would be no dad's involved in the depth chart and selection. If that remains true it will be a good thing.

I was very impressed with the two tryout sessions. However I was more impressed with the coaches they had at the tryout. Noon MLL pole, Adams, Team USA Goalie, Bates, HC at EA and former HC of Princeton, and Deniken former Wings Box Player. I think we would be hard pressed to find a more elite level of coaches for a 6th grade lacrosse team. Well done so far just hoping my kid makes the cut as the top team will be awesome.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is an interesting perspective. We were at the 2nd Brotherly Love National Tryouts at Episcopal on Friday Night. The coach running the tryouts answered questions at the end and several of them seemed to tie into the Dukes "approach" I believe the gentleman running the tryout was one of the founders of Brotherly Love and he made a point that there would be no dad's involved in the depth chart and selection. If that remains true it will be a good thing.

I was very impressed with the two tryout sessions. However I was more impressed with the coaches they had at the tryout. Noon MLL pole, Adams, Team USA Goalie, Bates, HC at EA and former HC of Princeton, and Deniken former Wings Box Player. I think we would be hard pressed to find a more elite level of coaches for a 6th grade lacrosse team. Well done so far just hoping my kid makes the cut as the top team will be awesome.

I'm wondering why you would gush so much about an organization/team your son might not make the cut for? You're drumming up interest (read competition) for your son. Is this just a public service announcement or is it an advertisement? We want objective information. Anything negative at all from the experience?? Anything?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Overall it was a positive experience nothing negative other than skepticism of how they are going to handle 40 kids and make it work what’s it to you are you now the designated forum moderato

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds typical for the Duke's Nationals -Depth Chart, the depth chart is never followed as it is explained to parents and players, who are supposed to be accountable to attend each mini camp and tournament to stay in good standing and keep the players spot on the depth chart but as you explained it is never followed by Dukes management who produce the depth chart with no input from the coaches. The depth chart is just a hammerhead to keep the players interested in attending the next mini camp and the mini camps are just money makers for Dukes nationals management to keep the program afloat. It is a complete scam and the end is near.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds typical for the Duke's Nationals -Depth Chart, the depth chart is never followed as it is explained to parents and players, who are supposed to be accountable to attend each mini camp and tournament to stay in good standing and keep the players spot on the depth chart but as you explained it is never followed by Dukes management who produce the depth chart with no input from the coaches. The depth chart is just a hammerhead to keep the players interested in attending the next mini camp and the mini camps are just money makers for Dukes nationals management to keep the program afloat. It is a complete scam and the end is near.

Here's the thing. The depth chart is crap - I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But the mini camps (the Loyola snow storm excluded) are actually pretty good. They do a lot of positional training with fantastic coaches and then move to 2 on 2s, 3 on 3s, etc. where they can apply some of the lessons they learned during positional training.

If your son is looking for extra training, this is a pretty good option as long as you understand and accept some of the downsides of the rest of the program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree the camps are good. Actually (camps)have gotten better according to my son. We are on the team and overall my experience is good. I have learned a few things over my time though....don't pay in cash, pay as you go. But as a lacrosse program I believe my son has improved and has met a few great kids along the way. I don't hold the business practices against the overall experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stunad..special doesn't mean blowing teams out of the water. That team of boys are so connected and bonded. That's what is special.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stunad..special doesn't mean blowing teams out of the water. That team of boys are so connected and bonded. That's what is special.

The truth is that the connection and bond you are referring to is not all that special. All the teams (regardless of sport) that my kids have been on foster the team approach, connections and bonding. Some do it better than others, but it seems to be pretty universal. If you are reading this it's because you are someone who puts your kids development and winning high on the list of priorities. This is a good thing, but don't kid yourself, if the team starts losing you'll shop around, regardless of the connections and bonds. At the elite level, winning comes first and foremost. It's how the business makes money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here's the thing. The depth chart is crap - I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But the mini camps (the Loyola snow storm excluded) are actually pretty good. They do a lot of positional training with fantastic coaches and then move to 2 on 2s, 3 on 3s, etc. where they can apply some of the lessons they learned during positional training.

If your son is looking for extra training, this is a pretty good option as long as you understand and accept some of the downsides of the rest of the program.

The Program is one big downside, no upside. The min camps are exactly the same every month, no new training or any type of evaluation on current players or prospective players are ever completed, not to mention that the same mini camp given 2 years ago cost $40 and mini camps given today cost $100 and they are exactly the same, no new added value at all =money scam, buyer beware!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

G?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The min camps are exactly the same every month, no new training or any type of evaluation on current players or prospective players are ever completed, not to mention that the same mini camp given 2 years ago cost $40 and mini camps given today cost $100 and they are exactly the same, no new added value at all =money scam, buyer beware!!

If you think that there is no benefit to the training (forget the evaluations) then I'm not sure you are paying attention. Mini camps are $60 if you pay in advance which really isn't that bad of an increase. The $100 is clearly there to push people into the package instead of cherry picking which camp to attend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The min camps are exactly the same every month, no new training or any type of evaluation on current players or prospective players are ever completed, not to mention that the same mini camp given 2 years ago cost $40 and mini camps given today cost $100 and they are exactly the same, no new added value at all =money scam, buyer beware!!

If you think that there is no benefit to the training (forget the evaluations) then I'm not sure you are paying attention. Mini camps are $60 if you pay in advance which really isn't that bad of an increase. The $100 is clearly there to push people into the package instead of cherry picking which camp to attend.

Why shouldn’t you be able to attend the camps you want to, instead of traveling ridiculous distances? The coaches don’t go, why should the players?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why shouldn’t you be able to attend the camps you want to, instead of traveling ridiculous distances? The coaches don’t go, why should the players?

Oooouuuuuucccccchhhh!!

Also, loved seeing what happens when the coaches don't show up. The "Non-Daddy Ball" team had the owner's son shoot up the depth chart.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You just confirmed my point, it used to be $40 per mini camp pay as you go, know it's a discount at $60 if you pay up front for all the mini camps for the year $600).... giving them the money they are looking for upfront for the mini-camps but if you wait and pay as you go to the mini camps you are penalized and have to pay $100, why would that be?????? let me explain it to you, it's a money maker for the club... no reason people should be penalized because the want to pay as they go, What exactly is the $40 dollar penalty covering...nothing but more money in Dukes Management pocket.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You just confirmed my point, it used to be $40 per mini camp pay as you go, know it's a discount at $60 if you pay up front for all the mini camps for the year $600).... giving them the money they are looking for upfront for the mini-camps but if you wait and pay as you go to the mini camps you are penalized and have to pay $100, why would that be?????? let me explain it to you, it's a money maker for the club... no reason people should be penalized because the want to pay as they go, What exactly is the $40 dollar penalty covering...nothing but more money in Dukes Management pocket.

If people like the product they will pay even if it doesn't make sense (i.e. 1K for a phone). This is a business and the model above increases profits. People will continue to pay when few alternatives exist. This is changing though. Other clubs are establishing national teams realizing there is a market flush with cash and wiling to hand it over. Stop complaining about Dukes and spend your money on another club. Or better yet, accept the fact that your kids regional team with a la carte development opportunities is all you really need to create the next Rabil. But remember how DNA plays a role. No national team can give your kid better lacrosse genes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm going to assume that being on the Dukes National team means your kid is good enough to play on one of the 3-4 better teams in his grade in your area. Most (or all) of these teams play fall, spring & summer with some optional winter. Why would you feel a middle schooler needs MORE lacrosse? And that you need need to devote more time and money. They are playing a TON and there's a reasonable argument that it's already too much. I know the reply is that my kid loves it. That's great. If he loves it he'll seek out playing and practicing with his friends or on his own. Every good player from any era has a story of where they played wall ball and who they shot around with or had pick up games with. Having constant organized training and team practices/games deprives them of the opportunity to really own their game. If they don't own it they'll walk away eventually.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If people like the product they will pay even if it doesn't make sense (i.e. 1K for a phone). This is a business and the model above increases profits. People will continue to pay when few alternatives exist. This is changing though. Other clubs are establishing national teams realizing there is a market flush with cash and wiling to hand it over. Stop complaining about Dukes and spend your money on another club. Or better yet, accept the fact that your kids regional team with a la carte development opportunities is all you really need to create the next Rabil. But remember how DNA plays a role. No national team can give your kid better lacrosse genes.
National teams are a Joke . People hear the word NATIONAL and open their wallets. The best lacrosse is in the local areas Period. MONEY GRAB!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you spent 1k for a phone you are dumber than I thought. Dukes Nationals is a complete scam!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you spent 1k for a phone you are dumber than I thought. Dukes Nationals is a complete scam!!

Hey, pump the brakes! I'm on your side! I agree with you. If that makes me dumb then..., oh forget it, don't want to be mean. Hahaha!

Like Reply Quote
Page 15 of 35 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 34 35
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard