02/13/13 07:53 PM
02/13/13 07:53 PM
T
The Hop Offline OP
User
The Hop  Offline OP
User
T

Is there a need to form a high quality girls travel club in eastern Suffolk. By eastern I mean Mt Sinai to West Hampton. It seems we all travel west for practices and a lot of the talent is in eastern Suffolk.

Chime in with comments....

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: The Hop] #25551
02/13/13 08:42 PM
02/13/13 08:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

there are like 30 clubs off to the right. there were only a few just a handful of years back. If peoople are willing to pay, more will come!

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25553
02/13/13 09:44 PM
02/13/13 09:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

definately a need, but it would be a massive financial and administrative undertaking. Do you start with the two youngest age groups or try to go head to head with established teams?

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25554
02/14/13 06:50 AM
02/14/13 06:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
definately a need, but it would be a massive financial and administrative undertaking. Do you start with the two youngest age groups or try to go head to head with established teams?

And face the wrath of Rose? And all the parent bees attacking you? It is bound to happen and I would expect teams and clubs popping up all over the place moving into the future.

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25556
02/14/13 07:52 AM
02/14/13 07:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It makes sense with all the demands on parents to cut down on the commute to practice I would think. Should probably start with one or two younger teams and grow accordingly. If need is there an older team could be formed as well to help kids who have not tried out for a summer team yet.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: The Hop] #25557
02/14/13 08:18 AM
02/14/13 08:18 AM
Suffolk County
P
Powderfinger Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Powderfinger  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
P

Suffolk County
For convenience of practices, I presume. I'd say yes. And don't forget the Forks, north and south. Even if you based something out of Riverhead, that's a long-a$$ drive for the laxer from Montauk or Orient.

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25566
02/14/13 04:58 PM
02/14/13 04:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And face the wrath of Rose? And all the parent bees attacking you? It is bound to happen and I would expect teams and clubs popping up all over the place moving into the future.

Fact is several east end clubs have opened , there was a club based out of south bay a few years ago that had some talent but was poorly run and closed.There is now a team called title nine but really are more of a glorified town team .YJ had a team with east in the name but not sure what happened to that team.The game is still relatively new to many towns on the east end so as it's popularity grows it will be only a matter of time.Might be tuff for TG because many would live outside the 50 mile radius but seems to me that TG is now almost completely Bill Smiths baby.At the younger levels if Shoreham ,Riverhead, North Fork ,Westhampton joined forces they would be able to compete against any travel club throw ESM into the mix and they would be tuff to beat.

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Powderfinger] #25568
02/14/13 05:08 PM
02/14/13 05:08 PM
T
The Hop Offline OP
User
The Hop  Offline OP
User
T

Originally Posted by Powderfinger
For convenience of practices, I presume. I'd say yes. And don't forget the Forks, north and south. Even if you based something out of Riverhead, that's a long-a$$ drive for the laxer from Montauk or Orient.

But better than a drive to Nassau or western Suffolk. No?

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: The Hop] #25573
02/14/13 06:36 PM
02/14/13 06:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tough to argue. Didn't I see a young team from westhampton called the piranhas at some things this fall? Is that a youth team or club/travel team?

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: The Hop] #25576
02/14/13 07:02 PM
02/14/13 07:02 PM
Suffolk County
P
Powderfinger Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Powderfinger  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
P

Suffolk County
Originally Posted by Steppin'Out
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

But better than a drive to Nassau or western Suffolk. No?

Absolutely.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25578
02/14/13 07:04 PM
02/14/13 07:04 PM
Suffolk County
P
Powderfinger Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Powderfinger  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
P

Suffolk County

Fact is several east end clubs have opened , there was a club based out of south bay a few years ago that had some talent but was poorly run and closed.There is now a team called title nine but really are more of a glorified town team .YJ had a team with east in the name but not sure what happened to that team.The game is still relatively new to many towns on the east end so as it's popularity grows it will be only a matter of time.Might be tuff for TG because many would live outside the 50 mile radius but seems to me that TG is now almost completely Bill Smiths baby.At the younger levels if Shoreham ,Riverhead, North Fork ,Westhampton joined forces they would be able to compete against any travel club throw ESM into the mix and they would be tuff to beat.

I think that Southbay team folded into LI Select (or something like that) and a lot of the girls moved on at that point.

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25592
02/15/13 08:20 AM
02/15/13 08:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Much easier said (or written) than done. On paper it works but try to convince all those kids and parents to leave established yj or tg teams to join some new club that most likely to fold and disappear (note the examples above). You see floundering clubs/teams spring up and die out all over the island. Give credit to CR for getting it rolling and give credit to Liberty and TG for being able to get into the market with competitive teams, where many others have failed. Parents know this and would be reluctant to leave a A team of an established club, you may convince a A caliber player or two then the rest would be B and C team players filling out roster. Take that team against top summer travel tournaments, get destroyed, then your A players walk, team dissolves etc.... like I said on paper it sounds great, getting together and getting over the hump is another thing especially on multiple age groups.

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25601
02/15/13 10:42 AM
02/15/13 10:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fact is several east end clubs have opened , there was a club based out of south bay

a few years ago that had some talent but was poorly run and closed.There is now a team called title nine but really are more of a glorified town team .YJ had a team with east in the name but not sure what happened to that team.The game is still relatively new to many towns on the east end so as it's popularity grows it will be only a matter of time.Might be tuff for TG because many would live outside the 50 mile radius but seems to me that TG is now almost completely Bill Smiths baby.At the younger levels if Shoreham ,Riverhead, North Fork ,Westhampton joined forces they would be able to compete against any travel club throw ESM into the mix and they would be tuff to beat.

Much easier said (or written) than done. On paper it works but try to convince all those kids and parents to leave established yj or tg teams to join some new club that most likely to fold and disappear (note the examples above). You see floundering clubs/teams spring up and die out all over the island. Give credit to CR for getting it rolling and give credit to Liberty and TG for being able to get into the market with competitive teams, where many others have failed. Parents know this and would be reluctant to leave a A team of an established club, you may convince a A caliber player or two then the rest would be B and C team players filling out roster. Take that team against top summer travel tournaments, get destroyed, then your A players walk, team dissolves etc.... like I said on paper it sounds great, getting together and getting over the hump is another thing especially on multiple age groups.

Very true. But isn't that the same thing that was said when TGs started a few years ago. I think any new club faces the same challenges. There is most certainly room for a club that can compete on a high level. Remember there are more A players that are labeled B players due to no room on the A teams. "If you build it they will come" applies here I think. I think you are under estimating the ideals of many A players and their parents. Many would welcome a new club and the opportunity to be a game changer. If we lived using your example we would all still be in the 13 colonies driving horse and buggies using candles for light. A bit dramatic I know but just my opinion.

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25653
02/16/13 11:54 PM
02/16/13 11:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Southbay becameYJEast ... The only reason TG is successful is because of Shannon Smith- a new club would have to have a big name behind it to draw these people in

Reply Quote
Re: Is there a need for an Eastern L.I. Girls travel team? [Re: Anonymous] #25660
02/17/13 02:44 PM
02/17/13 02:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Southbay becameYJEast ... The only reason TG is successful is because of Shannon Smith- a new club would have to have a big name behind it to draw these people in

Plenty of room in the sandbox, the more clubs playing at a high level the better. This coming from a player's parent/ consumer point of view. I'm sure the opionions and views of the club owners may not be to thrilled with sharing the $'s, but as a consumer all parents and players should encourge and welcome more oppurtunity.

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification