BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Any opinions bypassing a school team that plays summer lax (Not free of charge), versus playing on one of the many elite travel teams instead?
Will the school coach hold it against the kid for not wanting to play with the school team during the summer?

I'd say it depends on the coach, and the kid. I've had three kids go through various summer leagues and it's generally not taken seriously, especially as the summer progresses. By season's end, everyone has lost interest or gone away and sometimes not even a full squad shows up. Furthermore, the coaches are not supposed to coach the summer league (although some do), so it's a parent or an alumnus coaching so if your intent is to impress a coach you may be wasting your time.

I'd ask other parents in your district to see how it's played out in the past in your area.

The problem we have is our varsity coach and an A.D. from a neighboring district coach the summer team and they charge quite a bit without making cuts or holding tryouts. They are also forming a younger "travel" team, and yes-if you don't pay you won't play for the school. My son and several of his friends tried out for and would like to play on legit travel teams but it was strongly "suggested" that they stay with the team to "build the program". Coincidently, the coachs son made varsity as a freshman last year, barely played and got pummeled when he did but that's politics 101.
So, I guess that there are many different situations, with extrememely varying factors which contribute. Why do so many folks seem to cite THEIR circumstances, and determine that THEIR course is the only way to go? I would think that the schools position on this matter, the students ability, the PAL teams attributes, the PAL coach's policy, the childs intensity level, and many more points make each scenario a bit different. It may be that what you believe is the "only way to go", may not be the only way to go.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with one thing - if you are in 7th or 8th grade... Why wouldn't a player want to play on his middle school team?? ...its everyday after school running around playing lax w friends... its only the PAL and Club teams schedules that often conflict...

...a choice that makes playing PAL after 6th grade has become a TOTAL waste of time for any experienced, athletic player... YOUR point is lost when you start generalizing and handing out badges of loyalty for playing home town PAL

Did it occur to you that the 7th or 8th grade player who decides to try out for a highly competitive club team without the comfort of his buddy's around , may be considered courageous?? maybe even start learning those "man" lessons that you like so much;)
Has it not occurred to you that all towns relationships with the local PAL may not be similar to the one in your locale? ...even for a moment?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
making a 12 year old sign a commitment waiver as a condition to play for youth club (fl$) team is rediculous...
1 - if its all about loyalty and commitment, why are the players forced to sign??
2- last time I checked, fl$ was not free, nor gauranteeing playing time, nor scholarships

so please stop!! fl$ doesnt have to look too far as to reasons why, even the newest of club teams are rapidly leaving them in the dust...
IF that is true, then the policy will probably change. It sounds ridiculous, but I try not to believe everything i read!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In our town the varsity coaches are not happy that many players are playing for their club teams for the summer instead of the school team. How many towns have their varsity coaches involved in coaching the summer teams also?Just wondering what others experience has been?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the varsity coache coaching the MS kids in the summer ? Then what do they care. Fathers who favor their own kid coach most of those teams.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
District coaches are coaching the varsity and JV teams(current 8th graders and up). They care because they are loosing players in the summer to the club teams.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
District coaches are coaching the varsity and JV teams(current 8th graders and up). They care because they are loosing players in the summer to the club teams.

Ugh, that's just wrong. The clubs are where the kids are learning their skills and I wish the school coaches would remember that fact. I'll paint with a broad stroke here but my kids didn't learn bubkus from their school coaches, they learned what they learned from club programs and used those skills to better the school team, not the other way around. Your mileage may vary but that's how it is in my district, where coaches come from the teaching pool first and any teacher can hold on to their coaching position for as long as they want it, regardless of performance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Walking a fine line here...how do they coach all summer(assume they get some kind of compensation) and not put themselves in a situation of conflict of interest? Also it seems kind of unfair if a player has played on a club team for a few years and now has to decide to leave that program or upset the apple cart at school? Especially in todays early recruiting game. Players need to have the coaches help and if you have a player show up summer before 9th grade for a school team that the school coaches don't know yet,that players is taking a chance of loosing a spot on a travel team that in most cases has played together for a lenghtof time and all year round.Not an easy decision at all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This must be Team Smithtown JV/Varity, Coaches sent out a feisty email saying that if you play for a club team and can't make a full commitment to Team Smithtown then you'll get your money back. Email also said, if you were planning on going to a catholic school, don't plan on being with Team Smithtown. Now, it never said anything about kids who decide to play with their club teams not getting any play time on the school team, that is the area I would be concerned about.

Interesting that they would send that out, given the fact at the earlier grades kids are allowed to play with clubs and Team Smithtown.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ugh, that's just wrong. The clubs are where the kids are learning their skills and I wish the school coaches would remember that fact. I'll paint with a broad stroke here but my kids didn't learn bubkus from their school coaches, they learned what they learned from club programs and used those skills to better the school team, not the other way around. Your mileage may vary but that's how it is in my district, where coaches come from the teaching pool first and any teacher can hold on to their coaching position for as long as they want it, regardless of performance.

In our schools, the town team in the 7th and 8th grade sent a letter that if you do not play for the town club team, then I will severely affect your chances if Playing varsity! Also, the kids on that town club are forbidden to do any outside LAX.
They are B level at best in a tourney, yet our son plays for a AA club team. Why would thy not recognize the inherent value of letting a kid play high level club LAX and then bringing that experience back to the town team

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In our schools, the town team in the 7th and 8th grade sent a letter that if you do not play for the town club team, then I will severely affect your chances if Playing varsity! Also, the kids on that town club are forbidden to do any outside LAX.
They are B level at best in a tourney, yet our son plays for a AA club team. Why would thy not recognize the inherent value of letting a kid play high level club LAX and then bringing that experience back to the town team

If this is true- that is insane!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stop. you're grasping at straws... adolenscent relationships change from day to day, if not minute to minute.
Based on your warped logic... your son's loyalty and relationships will contintue to his choice of community college vs. going away to college... maybe all his wonderful bonds will continue when they interview for the same job crazy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this alarming trend is sounding too familiar - public school coaches are over stepping their bounds... what is EVEN more alarming is the profitiering by school coaches

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
your points are fair. but keep in mind that if a 12 year old attends the required practices and the fl$ tournaments... what gives fl$ the right to dictate free time choices to a non compensated, 12 yr old amateur athlete??
at the best it's arrogant, at worst, it's exploitive...

therein lies the slippery slope of this trend of tug of war between HS coaches, getting into the play for pay, "or else" business, vs. Club lax hooks... in all senarios, the 7th and 8 th grade player always finishes last...

More kids are deciding; who and where, to play, purely out of fear from backlash from a vindictive coach or organization....
signing such BS agreements, simply validates this trend!

is anyone else sharing these concerns??

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

That's just terrible. But it reminded me that my son's lacrosse team (a start-up, we liked it) folded after the a bunch of the boys from two other towns were told they "had" to play for their town/school team. That was the end of my boy's lacrosse career because by that time it was too late to try out for another club. Lucky for him he found a new love with
another sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please identify any sport where the top athletes in the world at that sport have achieved their success by playing / training with “only” their neighbors.

If you want your child to become the best player “that He/She can be” then they must play / train with and against the best “that He /She” can compete with.

My kids will play for their JHS Team but I would not want to hold a player back if that child had the ability to play and train with a much more competitive team. To restrict a player and coerce that player into playing for “only” the Town/JHS Team would be selfish.

I guess in some of these towns, if a child became a Professional or Olympic Athlete that athlete would be shunned by certain people if they had played / trained with a “Club” other than the “Town Club”.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
$$$ - say, 20-25 kids at xxx.00 dollars- 4 or tournaments say 1000 per, not a bad part time job to help supplement the , school teacher - not discouraging anyone from making extra cash, but not sure how a school district looks at that.

Let the kids play during their school spring season, if kid is good enough to make one of the li travel teams so be it, they get exposure to other coaching, playing with new kids while making new friends, that's a bad thing???' I think not.

If a school coach holds that against a kid, that is so wrong...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm trying to figure out why any parent would let some coach tell them what they will or will not do when it comes to their child playing in High School. As I've heard in ESM, if kids play outside of the town, they are shunned..... If I hope this isn't the case. The affected parents need to bring it to the attention of the administrators in the district.... I wish the varsity coach of my son's town would even think about saying such a thing to me. You guys need to stand up to these coaches.

LaxDad#14

That's just terrible. But it reminded me that my son's lacrosse team (a start-up, we liked it) folded after the a bunch of the boys from two other towns were told they "had" to play for their town/school team. That was the end of my boy's lacrosse career because by that time it was too late to try out for another club. Lucky for him he found a new love with
another sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stop. you're grasping at straws... adolenscent relationships change from day to day, if not minute to minute.
Based on your warped logic... your son's loyalty and relationships will contintue to his choice of community college vs. going away to college... maybe all his wonderful bonds will continue when they interview for the same job crazy

Sad for you/your child that their relationships change so quickly. I have many childhood friends that I have not gone to college with or interviewed for the same job, just kept the bond. My kids, the same thing. Its not "warped logic" to think that you can be an "incredible" lax player & not think you are "too good" to play on your MS team, as well as advance on very competitive level. I would love to see some research on the top Lax players that came out of LI. Did they play MS ball or did their daddys think it was a "waste of time"? Honestly, would like to see the stats

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are talking about Team Smithtown, I don't understand why you would have a problem with JV/Varsity coaches wanting kids to play with school team. Are you talking in H.S. or middle school ? Smithtown West has been a nationally ranked program for a while, sending many players to top D-1,D-2 and D-3 colleges. If you're son is a good player he will be looked at playing for Smithtown West. Now Smithtown East- not as good, but they still have players play top college lax. I'm sure you already know this. If your son was on one of top 3 club teams in high school and went to S.E. , then I think you may have a decision to make. If he is going to West , I would have him play for H.S. team. If he is talented he will get looked at. The varsity/J.V. coaches want kids to play together for cohesiveness and to learn their system. Is it selfish ? Maybe, but like I said the programs are some of the best on L.I. and I'm sure they want to keep it that way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are talking about Team Smithtown, I don't understand why you would have a problem with JV/Varsity coaches wanting kids to play with school team. Are you talking in H.S. or middle school ? Smithtown West has been a nationally ranked program for a while, sending many players to top D-1,D-2 and D-3 colleges. If you're son is a good player he will be looked at playing for Smithtown West. Now Smithtown East- not as good, but they still have players play top college lax. I'm sure you already know this. If your son was on one of top 3 club teams in high school and went to S.E. , then I think you may have a decision to make. If he is going to West , I would have him play for H.S. team. If he is talented he will get looked at. The varsity/J.V. coaches want kids to play together for cohesiveness and to learn their system. Is it selfish ? Maybe, but like I said the programs are some of the best on L.I. and I'm sure they want to keep it that way.

A lot of kids (turtles/91/outlaws/express) that have been playing club for years are about to enter HS.. I would think playing AA with club is a lot better than being on East or West teams, and for the coaches to hold it against the kids is ridiculous.. When my kid enters this age, I will look to the club to help him get college looks not these selfish coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If this is true- that is insane!!!!

You can't make this up...seriously. It's sad. You should see the resentment given the few club players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There was an actual letter sent to your home stating that? If that is true, bring it to your school board.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A lot of kids (turtles/91/outlaws/express) that have been playing club for years are about to enter HS.. I would think playing AA with club is a lot better than being on East or West teams, and for the coaches to hold it against the kids is ridiculous.. When my kid enters this age, I will look to the club to help him get college looks not these selfish coaches.

How is this any different with st Anthony's or Chaminade? There is no difference and if people have a problem with public school coaches then they should also have a problem with the coaches from those two being the directors of a club. The only difference between the school types are the sources of school revenue. Otherwise the exact same conflicts exist and the kids feel the same if not more pressures not to stray, which is just wrong. How many st Anthony's kids play for another club not called express. I bet less than 15% brave souls of the JV and varsity rosters.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Problem with Smithtown is that they are so deep that you could be a kid who gets college looks but they will never know about since you ride the bench in SMithtown. Meanwhile you cold get playing time on a travel team and get lots of looks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ive heard several of the Turtle kids are going to bypass school ball and play exclusively with the Turtles? Can anyone shed any light on this? If thats true I think its a mistake on their parts. There is something special about playing for your town, your school and your friends. I played a varsity sport in High school and I can honestly say its an experience I wouldnt trade for the world. I understand the Turtles are very good and they will probably get more college looks by playing with them, but I think its possible to do both.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How is this any different with st Anthony's or Chaminade? There is no difference and if people have a problem with public school coaches then they should also have a problem with the coaches from those two being the directors of a club. The only difference between the school types are the sources of school revenue. Otherwise the exact same conflicts exist and the kids feel the same if not more pressures not to stray, which is just wrong. How many st Anthony's kids play for another club not called express. I bet less than 15% brave souls of the JV and varsity rosters.

No difference, its all wrong!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would you not play for your high school team if they are very competitive ? Both Smithtown teams fit this category, with West being a top twenty nationally ranked team. Are most of these turtle kids from the east side of town ? Why would you give up a chance at playing for county and state titles ? You play on Long Island, if you are that good someone will find you. I could see the logic if you didnt have a competitive program. It just seems selfish to me. Ward Melville and W.Islip play together each summer and have had a pretty good record sending kids to D-1 schools and more importantly playing for county/state titles that these kids will cherish for a lifetime. Maybe the me second attitude is why !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thank you for your pity... do you offer a class or a have a video on how develop my son into a loyal, tollirant, compassionate, well rounded Man?? ....or should I skip all that and sign him up for 8th grade PAL as you originally suggested??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
While I share your opinion that playing school varsity is a great experience,
As long as its the kids choice ,rather than a turtle coach dictating terms... I think you have to respect the players decision...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thank you for your pity... do you offer a class or a have a video on how develop my son into a loyal, tollirant, compassionate, well rounded Man?? ....or should I skip all that and sign him up for 8th grade PAL as you originally suggested??

You could use a class or video yourself

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is how I feel about HS JV and Varsity coaches giving attitude to those players that play on a team outside the schools summer team...........this is called BULLYING and as far as we know, there is ZERO tolerance for that kind of behavior in a school environment........lead by example coaches....why should a player be punished for building character, skills and sportsmanship!! They are team players, and exemplify committment, dedication, perserverance and integrity.... all the traits a school coach should want.....Shame on these coaches be a coach and a leader and stop acting as if you are in high school yourself!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is how I feel about HS JV and Varsity coaches giving attitude to those players that play on a team outside the schools summer team...........this is called BULLYING and as far as we know, there is ZERO tolerance for that kind of behavior in a school environment........lead by example coaches....why should a player be punished for building character, skills and sportsmanship!! They are team players, and exemplify committment, dedication, perserverance and integrity.... all the traits a school coach should want.....Shame on these coaches be a coach and a leader and stop acting as if you are in high school yourself!!

Lets turn that around... is it any less of a bullying tactic if the Turtles organizers "strongly suggested, offered or otherwise encouraged" an alternative to the boys intended to bypass their school seasons? What would be the outcome be for a boy who decided to play with his school and bypass the Turtles "school season alternative"? We all know the answer to that. Bullying pressure comes from the clubs too!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A player works hard to earn and keep a spot on a travel team, this is a choice the player made way before entering high school, in fact most have played with travel teams since 5th grade.......why should a player give up that spot? if they committ to playing with a specific team they should keep that committment and therefore that club coach relies on their presence during summer tournaments....it is not that the player does not want to be part of a schools summer tournament team, they do!!!! but when you have earned a spot on a club team, how do you give that up? Why should a high school coach punish a player for keeping a committment? Most players try to do both hoping to keep peace

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed, we aren't talking about the Turtles though, we are talking about high school coaches dictating how a player should choose to spend their time over the summer by giving attitude. This player is there 100 percent for their high school team, practices with them gives their all during the school season...........he is dedicated, this is what should be recognized

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lets turn that around... is it any less of a bullying tactic if the Turtles organizers "strongly suggested, offered or otherwise encouraged" an alternative to the boys intended to bypass their school seasons? What would be the outcome be for a boy who decided to play with his school and bypass the Turtles "school season alternative"? We all know the answer to that. Bullying pressure comes from the clubs too!

Hate to pop the bubble, but the turtles have never been asked to not play for their MS teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
why does the middle school need to ask. Do the all mighty turtle players need written invitation to play with their middle school. Most should have already played in 7th since its an 8th grade team. its about a sense of town pride.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure about those Turtles, but MOST clubs tell their players that school events always come first, we are taking summer people how does that interfere with school, and as far as middle school, I agree that a player should play for their school team, support the school, that same player should also play for their school team throughout high school......a well rounded individual/player can learn something from every coach he or she playes for, but those coaches also have to respect a players decision to advance their skills if that is what they want, and not hold being on a club team during the summer against them when it comes to playing time in the spring!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Not sure about those Turtles, but MOST clubs tell their players that school events always come first, we are taking summer people how does that interfere with school, and as far as middle school, I agree that a player should play for their school team, support the school, that same player should also play for their school team throughout high school......a well rounded individual/player can learn something from every coach he or she playes for, but those coaches also have to respect a players decision to advance their skills if that is what they want, and not hold being on a club team during the summer against them when it comes to playing time in the spring!

The gist of one of the discussions in this thread is that some SCHOOLS field summer teams and if your kid doesn't play for the SCHOOL in the summer then their playing time during the regular season will be negatively affected. So it appears for some school districts, school does affect the summer season.

Like Reply Quote
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard