BOSTON – After guiding the Boston University men's lacrosse program to its best-ever season in 2017, Ryan Polley has signed a long-term contract extension to remain as its head coach, Assistant Vice President and Director of Athletics Drew Marrochello announced on Thursday.

At the helm of the program since the inaugural season in 2014, Polley has taken the Terriers to new heights in each of their four seasons at the NCAA Division I level, highlighted by last year's outstanding campaign. Polley led BU to a 12-5 record and the program's first-ever Patriot League postseason berth, which culminated in a trip to the conference semifinals. He was named Patriot League and New England Coach of the Year for his efforts.

"What Coach Polley has accomplished in just four years is nothing short of impressive, and the most exciting part is that the best is yet to come," Marrochello said. "Ryan has built a premier lacrosse program that will continue to compete for Patriot League championships and make an impact on the national stage. His athletes develop into terrific players and outstanding young men who will go on to great success upon graduation. I am thrilled he will remain as our head coach."

Polley tutored the program's first-ever All-Americans in Cal Dearth and Christian Carson-Banister last season. Under his guidance, six Terriers earned All-Patriot League and All-New England accolades. Four seniors were named USILA North-South All-Stars, and two of those players – Dearth and Dominick Calisto – made their professional debuts this past summer in Major League Lacrosse.

"I am grateful to President Robert Brown for his long-term vision and tremendous support of Boston University men's lacrosse, as well as to Senior Vice President Todd Klipp and Director of Athletics Drew Marrochello for entrusting me with the responsibility to lead this program both on and off the field," Polley said. "The first five years at BU have been extremely fulfilling and I could not be more proud of everything we have accomplished together. However, I know that we have only scratched the surface and I am committed to taking the program to even greater heights."

"Lastly, I want to thank all of the coaches who have worked tirelessly, our support staff, and most importantly the student-athletes who make many sacrifices to be the best they can be and proudly represent Boston University."

Not only has Polley influenced the Terriers on the field, but his program has performed exceptionally in the classroom and in the community. Six men's lacrosse athletes have received the University's Scarlet Key Award, one of the most prestigious awards that the University can bestow upon someone. His team has also served as leaders in the community through their continued work with organizations such as the One Love Foundation, Harlem Lacrosse and Bike to the Beach, the latter of which has been the most successful fundraiser in BU Athletics history in terms of money raised. Polley's athletes have raised over $78,000 for autism research in just three years.

Polley's guidance goes beyond BU as well. He has integrated the University's rich club lacrosse history into the foundation of the program, which has paid dividends for this generation of student-athletes. With the help of the club alumni network and the Men's Lacrosse Advisory Board, 96 percent of the program's graduating seniors have been placed in either graduate school or full-time employment.