Canisius head coach Scott Teeter has been named Louisville’s second head coach in program history, confirmed by multiple sources to IL.

Teeter replaces Kellie Young, who was removed of her duties earlier this month following the departure of numerous transfers, including reigning All-Americans Brittany Read (Oregon) and Meghan Siverson (Maryland). Young was the program’s inaugural head coach, which opened NCAA play in spring 2008. She compiled a record of 106-68 through her ten seasons as the Cardinals’ head coach.

Teeter comes to Kentucky from Buffalo, N.Y., where he’s led Canisius to six MAAC titles in the last seven seasons. In 2016, Erica Evans became the first player in program history to earn IWLCA All-America accolades. Overall, nine Golden Grifins have earned regional All-America honors in the past six seasons.

Internationally, Teeter has led Team Canada to great heights as both the U-19 and senior women’s team coach. This past summer, Teeter led Canada to a pair of silver medals in the FIL World Cup in England and World Games in Poland. In 2015, Teeter helped guide Canadian National Team to the country’s first women’s gold medal by winning the 2015 FIL Under-19 World Championship.

Updated (12:45pm ET) with official Louisville Release:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville announced today that Scott Teeter, who led Canisius to six conference titles and six trips to the NCAA Tournament in the last seven years, has been named the new head coach of the women’s lacrosse team.

Teeter will be introduced as head coach at a news conference on Tuesday, Nov. 21 at 1:30 p.m. ET in the Yum! Center media room (2432 S. Floyd Street on campus).

“We are thrilled to hire Scott Teeter, who has a tremendous coaching pedigree, to lead our women’s lacrosse program going forward,” said interim director of athletics Vince Tyra. “We have established a winning tradition, advancing to the NCAA Tournament the last four seasons, and we wanted someone who could help build on that tradition. Scott fits that mold, he’s very well known in the lacrosse community, and most importantly, he’s been a winner.”

“The University of Louisville is an excellent opportunity for me because I believe that this is a place where our student-athletes can succeed immediately, both competitively and academically. Together, I believe that we can build something very special here,” said Teeter. “Louisville is such a unique place, with a world-class university, an exciting women’s lacrosse history and unbelievable support and facilities.”

Teeter comes to Louisville after serving as head coach at Canisius for the past 16 years. Upon his arrival in Buffalo, he took the reins of a team that had won just 11 games in the program’s first seven seasons. Under his guidance, he changed the culture of the program and was named MAAC Coach of the Year in just his third season after leading the Griffs to an eight-win improvement in 2005.

In 2011, Canisius won a school-record 14 games and capped the successful campaign with the program’s first MAAC Tournament title. The Griffs added postseason championships in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017. In the run from 2011-14, the team became the first school in MAAC history to win four straight conference titles. Canisius also claimed regular-season crowns in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017 after sweeping through conference foes without a loss.

He was named the league’s coach of the year again in 2015, 2016 and 2017, after becoming the first three teams in MAAC history to post a perfect 8-0 regular-season record.
Teeter departs as the winningest coach in MAAC history.

“I would like to thank interim director of athletics Vince Tyra and assistant athletic director for student-athlete development Amy Calabrese for their confidence that I am the right person to lead this program,” added Teeter. “I am excited to move my family here and cannot wait to get started.”

In addition, Teeter has also served as head coach of the Canadian Under-19 National Team since 2009. He guided the team to a bronze-medal showing during the 2011 championship in Hannover, Germany, before earning the country’s first women’s field lacrosse title at the 2015 FIL World Championship in Edinburgh, Scotland. Also in 2017, Teeter led the Canadian National team to a pair of silver medals, both at the FIL World Cup held in England and the World Games in Poland.

“Scott is an amazing coach that gets the most out of his players,” said Gary Gait, the lacrosse Hall of Famer and women’s lacrosse head coach at Syracuse. “Winning the world U-19 championship for Canada solidified his ability to coach players to their maximum potential. He is destined to have a great coaching career at Louisville, competing at the highest level in the ACC.”
Before taking the head job at Canisius, Teeter served as an assistant women’s lacrosse coach at Buffalo State College in 2002, where he helped guide the program to its best-ever finish. Prior to his work at Buffalo State, he served as a student-assistant coach and team manager for the Canisius women’s lacrosse team for four years.

Teeter was a four-year letter-winner for the Canisius College ice hockey team and graduated with a degree in physical education in 2002. He earned his master’s degree in physical education with a concentration in sport psychology and coaching from Canisius in 2004.

Teeter and his wife, Jennifer, have one daughter, Olivia.