BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Girls 2020 - 10th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
20 is plenty....26 is out of line

i agree

Do the math. Look at how much it costs to register a team for tournaments - the costs are available. Add up the total costs of all the tournaments for the year for that team, add in the practice field costs, and all the expenses. Then look at how much it costs per girl to play. For a bunch of clubs out there - the first 18 cover the costs for the year. Anything after that generally goes to paying coaches - then the club owner's pockets. If you can get 26 parents to buy into paying the money to be on a team - why stop at 18?

Finally someone looking at the math. Club lacrosse is about making money for these directors it isn't charity. Many of these clubs make $50-$100k just running tryouts. They are all very smart. They know up to 28 on a team is an absolute joke but they do it for the cash. They all know a dedicated team of 18 is all they need. East to sub, easy to have like ability kids, easy everything. 26-28 is good for only one thing making them rich. And most of these clubs don't pay their coaches much. Its all going in the directors pockets. I think that's why you are seeing the C and D teams disappearing. People know its an absolute scam. And don't forget that these same directors run the tournaments, direct their teams there and then double dip!

And it will only get worse since the girls have an extra few years added to the "recruiting time". Extra time for the clubs to dangle that carrot in front of the parents.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
20 is plenty....26 is out of line

i agree

Do the math. Look at how much it costs to register a team for tournaments - the costs are available. Add up the total costs of all the tournaments for the year for that team, add in the practice field costs, and all the expenses. Then look at how much it costs per girl to play. For a bunch of clubs out there - the first 18 cover the costs for the year. Anything after that generally goes to paying coaches - then the club owner's pockets. If you can get 26 parents to buy into paying the money to be on a team - why stop at 18?

Finally someone looking at the math. Club lacrosse is about making money for these directors it isn't charity. Many of these clubs make $50-$100k just running tryouts. They are all very smart. They know up to 28 on a team is an absolute joke but they do it for the cash. They all know a dedicated team of 18 is all they need. East to sub, easy to have like ability kids, easy everything. 26-28 is good for only one thing making them rich. And most of these clubs don't pay their coaches much. Its all going in the directors pockets. I think that's why you are seeing the C and D teams disappearing. People know its an absolute scam. And don't forget that these same directors run the tournaments, direct their teams there and then double dip!

And it will only get worse since the girls have an extra few years added to the "recruiting time". Extra time for the clubs to dangle that carrot in front of the parents.

With the new paradigm you are nuts if you start playing travel lax before 7th grade, college coaches, who have their own agenda, have said as much

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are not getting better by playing travel lax (roster of 24-26) you are also nuts if you keep playing after being committed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How was the President's Cup? how did your teams do?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]How was the President's Cup? how did your teams do?[/quote

Nobody cares about the outcome of the games. My kid played great and was in front of 100's of coaches.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lol ... i didnt ask for the outcomes ..... I asked how they did............answer could be "they played well, lots of coaches there".........

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lol ... i didnt ask for the outcomes ..... I asked how they did............answer could be "they played well, lots of coaches there".........

or better yet......my daughter played well........or our team looked like crap......but my daughter was a stud

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and more......at showcases....I think it is the committed players responsibility to let the non committed players shine in games....... that doesnt mean the committed players don't score ....it means they do less.

if the committed players parents are paying the same amount to attend showcase and hotels etc, then that player should get equal time. period. if the club wants the committed/better players there to help the uncommitted shine, then the club should waive the tournament fee for those players. But that will never happen, as it its always about the money. don't fool yourself

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are not getting better by playing travel lax (roster of 24-26) you are also nuts if you keep playing after being committed.
unfortunately thats incorrect. Even if a girls committed, they still need to play. A verbal isn't worth the paper its not written on. The college coaches come to see their commits play. at the same time, a commitment can be pulled. Then if you have stopped attending, your name is not still out there. Furthermore, there is always the possibility of another school being interested and making a better offer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nobody cares about the outcome of the games. My kid played great and was in front of 100's of coaches.

Which of the 100 colleges did your daughter decide on this weekend? Where will she be taking her talents?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
unfortunately thats incorrect. Even if a girls committed, they still need to play. A verbal isn't worth the paper its not written on. The college coaches come to see their commits play. at the same time, a commitment can be pulled. Then if you have stopped attending, your name is not still out there. Furthermore, there is always the possibility of another school being interested and making a better offer

Please tell us the coach that did not honor the verbal agreement they made with a player and not the usual "I heard" of a kid nonsense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please tell us the coach that did not honor the verbal agreement they made with a player and not the usual "I heard" of a kid nonsense.
mochigan fired their coach and new coach did not honor verbals. Don't think it doesn't happen

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i heard of a guy that heard of a kid.........

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

mochigan fired their coach and new coach did not honor verbals. Don't think it doesn't happen

is that near Michigan? Never heard of it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and more......at showcases....I think it is the committed players responsibility to let the non committed players shine in games....... that doesnt mean the committed players don't score ....it means they do less.

if the committed players parents are paying the same amount to attend showcase and hotels etc, then that player should get equal time. period. if the club wants the committed/better players there to help the uncommitted shine, then the club should waive the tournament fee for those players. But that will never happen, as it its always about the money. don't fool yourself

I agree...... they should get playing time.......at showcases.....should be equal......I don't disagree

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Which of the 100 colleges did your daughter decide on this weekend? Where will she be taking her talents?

my daughter held court and coaches had to sign up for appt times..........dab

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

anyone that thinks Verbal Commits aren't ever broken then ......dont know what to tell you.........

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard Bucknell did same as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I said the verbal agreement they made not that someone else made, just does not happen . Just because no one wanted your kid enough to make a verbal does not mean you have to spread [lacrosse] rumors.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I said the verbal agreement they made not that someone else made, just does not happen . Just because no one wanted your kid enough to make a verbal does not mean you have to spread [lacrosse] rumors.

So you think all verbal commits are honored?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

So you think all verbal commits are honored?

Verbals have been pulled when the kid's academics don't cut it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote]mochigan fired their coach and new coach did not honor verbals. Don't think it doesn't happen
[/quote]
I said the verbal agreement they made not that someone else made, just does not happen . Just because no one wanted your kid enough to make a verbal does not mean you have to spread [lacrosse] rumors.[/quote]
So you think all verbal commits are honored?[/quote]

Verbals have been pulled when the kid's academics don't cut it.[/quote]

Again that means the player has broken the verbal most times. In general most verbals are given with some basic benchmarks that need to be met ie. gpa in a range ; sat in a range , stay out of trouble ; don’t be an [lacrosse] on social media etc. I have been around girls lacrosse a long time and have not heard of a coach rescinding on their verbal .Has it ever happened ,probably,but acting like a verbal means nothing usually comes from someone who is just bitter their kid does not have one. If you know of coaches who have done it let’s hear who.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote]
I said the verbal agreement they made not that someone else made, just does not happen . Just because no one wanted your kid enough to make a verbal does not mean you have to spread [lacrosse] rumors.[/quote]
So you think all verbal commits are honored?[/quote]

Verbals have been pulled when the kid's academics don't cut it.[/quote]

Again that means the player has broken the verbal most times. In general most verbals are given with some basic benchmarks that need to be met ie. gpa in a range ; sat in a range , stay out of trouble ; don’t be an [lacrosse] on social media etc. I have been around girls lacrosse a long time and have not heard of a coach rescinding on their verbal .Has it ever happened ,probably,but acting like a verbal means nothing usually comes from someone who is just bitter their kid does not have one. If you know of coaches who have done it let’s hear who.[/quote]

All i asked if you think all verbals are honored........I didnt say they didnt mean anything......they mean the college/university sees your daughter at the institution......but that can change for a variety of reasons.......whether you agree of disagree is unimoirtant....the fact is not all verbals are honored..... for one reason or another.

Maybe they committed to the kid at too young of an age,,,,and saw what an [lacrosse] they have become....or now they are a pothead...... or of various other reasons......it happens with all sports in college.......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do you honestly think that if a coach leaves and/or gets fired, that the new coach automatically keeps the commits from the prior coach??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do you honestly think that if a coach leaves and/or gets fired, that the new coach automatically keeps the commits from the prior coach??

He is not talking about if a coach leaves or gets fired.

But I agree with you personally.

If a kid gains 15lbs and the coach sees it, the scholarship will be taken away.

If a coach gets a better player to come in your position, the coach will take it away and so on and so on ....

Doesn’t matter whether I can name an instance of whether it has happened or not. It happens ..... I am not saying a lot. But if I came up with a statistic, I would say 15-20% of verbal commits are taken away by the active coach ....either because someone better came along or they realized this kid just isn’t what we thought she would become. Either way it doesn’t matter....what the reason is. A verbal commitment is meaningless until the contract is signed.

With the new rule of recruiting, it is a lot better for the players and the coaches. They can actually see more of the player and personality and the kid can make a better decision on whether going to a certain school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He is not talking about if a coach leaves or gets fired.

But I agree with you personally.

If a kid gains 15lbs and the coach sees it, the scholarship will be taken away.

If a coach gets a better player to come in your position, the coach will take it away and so on and so on ....

Doesn’t matter whether I can name an instance of whether it has happened or not. It happens ..... I am not saying a lot. But if I came up with a statistic, I would say 15-20% of verbal commits are taken away by the active coach ....either because someone better came along or they realized this kid just isn’t what we thought she would become. Either way it doesn’t matter....what the reason is. A verbal commitment is meaningless until the contract is signed.

With the new rule of recruiting, it is a lot better for the players and the coaches. They can actually see more of the player and personality and the kid can make a better decision on whether going to a certain school.

Yup, the coaches love the new rules. They get two extra years of large numbers of camp attendees as opposed to just the commits and uninformed after freshman year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You people seem desperate. First you have the poster asking if a coach has ever gone back on their verbal as if this would make all existing verbals worthless.Then you have the clown reporting fake statistics of 15-20 percent when he cannot name one single instance of it ever happening. Now you have the other ill informed poster saying if a kid gains 20 lbs the verbal is gone, I can name multiple coaches who have honored their verbal commitment when a player has gained weight, blown out a knee, blown out the other knee, blown out the same knee again, had a kid get kicked out of school, had a kid get arrested and on and on. These players that they have honored their verbals with are not even the top of the food chain , these coaches include. NW, PSU,UNC, Cuse, MD, UVA, Duke.They honored these verbals when they easily could have said sorry you did not hold up your end of the bargain. Again you have not named one coach or one instance of them pulling their verbal . We get it your kid did not commit somewhere because " you wanted to wait and verbals mean nothing", sure.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You people seem desperate. First you have the poster asking if a coach has ever gone back on their verbal as if this would make all existing verbals worthless.Then you have the clown reporting fake statistics of 15-20 percent when he cannot name one single instance of it ever happening. Now you have the other ill informed poster saying if a kid gains 20 lbs the verbal is gone, I can name multiple coaches who have honored their verbal commitment when a player has gained weight, blown out a knee, blown out the other knee, blown out the same knee again, had a kid get kicked out of school, had a kid get arrested and on and on. These players that they have honored their verbals with are not even the top of the food chain , these coaches include. NW, PSU,UNC, Cuse, MD, UVA, Duke.They honored these verbals when they easily could have said sorry you did not hold up your end of the bargain. Again you have not named one coach or one instance of them pulling their verbal . We get it your kid did not commit somewhere because " you wanted to wait and verbals mean nothing", sure.

Verbals mean nothing. Until the LI is signed, a verbal is nothing more than a “let’s hope it all works out”

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Verbals mean nothing. Until the LI is signed, a verbal is nothing more than a “let’s hope it all works out”

And yet that's how every single commitment starts! At least all the priority recruiting gets done exactly like that. So in essence it mean everything, unless you don't get one, then yes it means nothing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The coaches reputation is on the line - that is why they are extremely reluctant to de-commit a player. I have been around girls lacrosse for a long time and I do not know of anyone losing their verbal commitment and that includes lots of girls getting injured. gaining weight and not improving as players etc. The original post that started this silly talk said "why continue to play travel lax if you have a roster of 24-26 and it is not helping you get better". There are better ways to improve your lax ability - 7v7's, 5v5's, stick work training, speed and conditioning, even playing other sports etc. In my experience college coaches do not care if you continue to play travel lacrosse once you are committed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What people fail to remember once you get outside the top 15 schools or so these coaches are leaving or getting fired all the time. They don't make that much avg $40k+ so for many its not a lifelong job. When kids were verbaling in 8th grade you were hoping the coach was there 5 years later. With the move to junior year there is a much better chance the coach that recruits your daughter will still be there.

From experience, coaches almost always honor the commits they inherit but then find ways to get out of and push or force inherited players out of the program to free up those scholarship slots year 2 and 3. They make it miserable for girls they don't want around

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is so precious - it really made my day to see how people are so unenlightened when it comes to this recruiting game. I have a feeling that you must be a used car salesman or a timeshare pitchman since you put so little value on a person's word or credibility. It is also fairly obvious that this is your first kid through the process and it's not working out well for them. But, don't worry, in case you missed it - nobody is going to be talking to your kid for a few more months. And don't believe the people when they say that their daughter did a triple secret wink, wink, commitment and then were dropped. If I believed every single one of those parents then that mean Levy and Reese would be dropping about a dozen commits every year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

http://www.diycollegerankings.com/need-know-verbal-commitments/6296/

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

correct......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And yet that's how every single commitment starts! At least all the priority recruiting gets done exactly like that. So in essence it mean everything, unless you don't get one, then yes it means nothing.

It means what it means ...........I knew a kid Jake V. is A D1 football player plays Tight end at UNC.......originally he had verbal commit from Michigan but they (the school) backed away for no apparent reason........it happens....that's all

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It means what it means ...........I knew a kid Jake V. is A D1 football player plays Tight end at UNC.......originally he had verbal commit from Michigan but they (the school) backed away for no apparent reason........it happens....that's all

from USAToday April 2017

Does a verbal commitment guarantee a scholarship?

Verbal commitments do not guarantee a scholarship, as they are unofficial verbal contracts between the athlete and coach. The NCAA does not recognize or even track verbal commitments between athletes and colleges. The only time an athlete can officially commit to a college is during the signing period, when they sign their national letter of intent. Any story you see of an athlete getting an offer or committing to a school before the signing period their senior year is unofficial.

Does a college have to honor a verbal commitment?

The short answer is no, but it is very uncommon for a school to just pull their offer. That said, there have been athletes who committed to a school, and when signing day came, they didn’t end up receiving an official offer. Here are a few of the common scenarios in which that might happen:

There is a coaching change – When there is a coaching change at a school, it is up to the incoming coach to decide whether they want to honor the verbal commitments of the previous coach or not.
The school has a history of oversigning – While the NCAA is cracking down on the practice of over-signing, a school can sign more athletes than they need on their team.
There was never actually a verbal offer made – Occasionally, there are stories of athletes who were confused about the nature of their recruitment from a particular school, and they mistook general recruiting interest as a verbal commitment, without actually being extended an offer.
Why do athletes verbally commit to a college?

Athletes commit to colleges early because it can simplify their recruiting process. By making an early commitment, athletes signify to other coaches and their peers they are done looking at potential schools. For most sports, this means college coaches will stop recruiting them, and they can focus on finishing out their high school career without worrying about the recruiting process.

Another reason an athlete might commit to a school is because the coach has extended an offer and given them a limited amount of time to accept. For example, coaches might say, “I would like to offer you a scholarship, and I need to know if you will accept in the next two weeks.” Coaches do this because they are under pressure to lock down recruits ahead of other programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

http://www.diycollegerankings.com/need-know-verbal-commitments/6296/

Coaches can also withdraw their commitments, but there are a few reasons that they would stay loyal to a recruit they offered a scholarship to:
•The PR of withdrawing a spot from a committed player is tough to overcome, especially with the athlete’s high school. It may take a college coach a long time to heal that wound.
•Other college coaches might use it against them as long as it is effective, saying that a player can’t trust the coach’s word, which is huge in recruiting.

For many coaches, when they offer a scholarship, nothing short of legal problems, a major violation of high school rules or academic failures would be cause for rescinding a committed player’s scholarship. Open communication with a coach or program is the best way to avoid any unpleasant surprises… on either end!

The above is from the same website. it just does not happen especially in girls lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you and your daughter put as much effort into their academics as you do on your forum posts, y'all be just fine.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you and your daughter put as much effort into their academics as you do on your forum posts, y'all be just fine.

lol

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What people fail to remember once you get outside the top 15 schools or so these coaches are leaving or getting fired all the time. They don't make that much avg $40k+ so for many its not a lifelong job. When kids were verbaling in 8th grade you were hoping the coach was there 5 years later. With the move to junior year there is a much better chance the coach that recruits your daughter will still be there.

From experience, coaches almost always honor the commits they inherit but then find ways to get out of and push or force inherited players out of the program to free up those scholarship slots year 2 and 3. They make it miserable for girls they don't want around

Verbals are honored and then they make you hate it if they want you gone

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard