BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Gymnastics, tennis ,golf , I can see an 8th grader play varsity. But lacrosse is a contact sport. The physical strength between a possible 18 year old and 13/14 yr old is flat out dangerous. Any school official would be careless to do that

The child in question must meet certain physical guidelines, but athletically and in physical maturity. Here is the link to the NYS guideline: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/pe/documents/scrivised2005.pdf

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gymnastics, tennis ,golf , I can see an 8th grader play varsity. But lacrosse is a contact sport. The physical strength between a possible 18 year old and 13/14 yr old is flat out dangerous. Any school official would be careless to do that

....in your opinion, correct? Can you declare this for every situation? Have you ever seen a 110 lb Junior/Senior? Have you ever seen a 200 lb 13 yr old? They DO exist, and our love for hormone injected livestock has seen that these kids are around (genetics may play a small part as well). Wish the kid well, as your child will learn from this expression of benevolence. I just mean to point out that we have probably seen some of the most gross mismatches occur on high school fields, and the kids usually come out just fine. If a kid is willing, and an athletic department is willing, and all are within the guidelines of safety put forth by our state, maybe we should cheer on little Johnny, and show more concern for the nubie whom is sure to get creamed by the jock of the same age headed his way at a full gallop!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am faced with this dilemma now with my 8th grade son. He plays on his town travel team and on a summer travel team.As spring rolls around he will have lots of "travel" practice commitments. Last year the JHS "experinece" was wanting to say the least. Poor coaching and many players with little or no skills or lax knowledge. He has stated that he does not want to play school ball but I am afraid of alienating the HS coaches. We are in a strong LAX town. Some 8th graders are moved up to JV in our town but they are the exception, not the rule. My son is on the cusp of being able to play at the JV level but he and both agree he is not there yet. Nor will the school move 8th graders onto the freshman team. What to do? I have told him to play school lax and just have fun with it but he counters that its practice everyday and all they do is work on basic drills coupled with limited playing time b/c coach has to play everyone.

Is being "on the cusp" of moving up enough of a reason to feel as if staying with your grade is a waste of time? Stick with it, forge the friendships, etc. Let him enjoy it. That's just this one guys opinion, as I know far too little of your individual situation. Have fun!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

....in your opinion, correct? Can you declare this for every situation? Have you ever seen a 110 lb Junior/Senior? Have you ever seen a 200 lb 13 yr old? They DO exist, and our love for hormone injected livestock has seen that these kids are around (genetics may play a small part as well). Wish the kid well, as your child will learn from this expression of benevolence. I just mean to point out that we have probably seen some of the most gross mismatches occur on high school fields, and the kids usually come out just fine. If a kid is willing, and an athletic department is willing, and all are within the guidelines of safety put forth by our state, maybe we should cheer on little Johnny, and show more concern for the nubie whom is sure to get creamed by the jock of the same age headed his way at a full gallop!

Speaking of hormones - recently overheard one long island 2016 kid tell another on an airplane that they take hormone injections because "my dad says it will make me grow". Looking at this kid, he was slightly bigger than his friend. This is now the second one that I've heard about in this grade - the other being a clearly over zealous father in a well-to-do town with a rich lax history. Parents messing with mother nature regardless of long term repurcussions or just medically necessary? Anybody else hearing anything along these lines?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This was our experience with middle school lacrosse: our son played for both the school team and a select travel team. He had the advantage of being coached by those that were knowledgeable of the game outside the realm of school ball. What we did encounter with school lacrosse, was the school coach has there own philosophy of how to play the game, and at times he wasn't instructing the players correctly and there were conflicts with what the school coach considered the correct thing to do in the face of adversity. We feel that middle school lacrosse is an opportunity to stay connected to your peers and school coaches, but we watched our son take a step back during the coarse of the school season as there were players that couldn't pass well or catch, didn't know there slides on defense and there knowledge of the game was lacking. Our son looked forward to playing for his school and therefore, it was a positive experience.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Speaking of hormones - recently overheard one long island 2016 kid tell another on an airplane that they take hormone injections because "my dad says it will make me grow". Looking at this kid, he was slightly bigger than his friend. This is now the second one that I've heard about in this grade - the other being a clearly over zealous father in a well-to-do town with a rich lax history. Parents messing with mother nature regardless of long term repurcussions or just medically necessary? Anybody else hearing anything along these lines?

No

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
This post is pathetic. Not only is hormone injection outside of a doctor's medically documented need a criminal offense, but as a parent, for you to have "heard" this serious issue and walk away from the situation - only to then post on our BOTC Main Message Forum - implies one of several things :

[1] You condone this behavior and have chosen to discuss the issue for personal validation.

[2] You do not condone the behavior but refuse to be an adult and confront the situation for the better health of the young man involved.

[3] You have made up this story in order to drive some off-topic discussion.

Here at BOTC, we are hoping that the answer is [3]. In either of the first two cases, you are crossing the line into criminal behavior and that is objectionable at any level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No

I've actually researched this fairly extensively just out of curiosity. Basically I came out on the side of "just don't do it!". Only in the case of fairly severe cases of hormone deficiency does it even begin to cross over into the area of medically necessary. There are many doctors who strongly believe that the long term consequences can be severely detrimental leading to many potential health problems as an adult - mainly involving the liver, link to certain cancers, cardiovascular and circulatory systems - particular abnormalities of the heart (enlargement) - remember the heart is a muscle and affected the same way a bicep would be. Don't even think about it for an athletic edge! Unfortunately there are parents who will try to push the envelope and for sure if you look hard enough for a doctor to go along with it you'll find one too.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I've actually researched this fairly extensively just out of curiosity. Basically I came out on the side of "just don't do it!". Only in the case of fairly severe cases of hormone deficiency does it even begin to cross over into the area of medically necessary. There are many doctors who strongly believe that the long term consequences can be severely detrimental leading to many potential health problems as an adult - mainly involving the liver, link to certain cancers, cardiovascular and circulatory systems - particular abnormalities of the heart (enlargement) - remember the heart is a muscle and affected the same way a bicep would be. Don't even think about it for an athletic edge! Unfortunately there are parents who will try to push the envelope and for sure if you look hard enough for a doctor to go along with it you'll find one too.
You posted that your were aware of a conversation [which had to be within a row or two of where you were sitting on an airplane] between boys in the Class of 2016 age group.

While you might want to mask the discussion into a "don't do it" framework, you have either posted wrongly to stir this issue or you ignored a young man who was using these dangerous chemicals.

So, how much of this research did you share with the young man in question ... or did you turn a deaf ear?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
As an athletic chairperson of a public L.I. school I can assure you (and I have been around longer than I should be) that it is very rare that an 8th grade athlete gets pulled up to varsity. Just an fyi, there are many steps taken before a student is selected, i.e. varsity coach observation and a NYS physical test that some of the strongest football players can't pass. There is no way around the test, it must be administered and observed and signed document is sent to Albany. It's no joke.

I repeat, it depends on the district. I've also heard of that test being given and re-given until an athlete passes if that's how the powers that be want it to happen. I also believe, if you read the small print on the NYS doc, that the AD can sign off on an athelete moving up despite not passing the test. Is this squirrely? You betcha.

It depends on each district if they allow a child to move up. It is a state governed mandatory physical test that each athlete has to pass to move up. The standards of that test are different for different sports (contact/non-contact etc.) It is not in "small print", there is actually an addtional application called Special Approval Request Application that can be sent to NYS for approval (if the athlete can not meet a certain standard) Is that "squirrely"? I dont think so..It is a process for a student/athlete to be good enough for a JV or Varsity coach to take notice of him/her & it is a VERY dificult test to pass. Do you not think that the coaches, AD, parents & the students know the pros and cons of making a decision like this? Why is anyone angry or questioning the process? Some kids (even without hormone injections) are just bigger, stronger, faster, more atheletic, focused, etc. @ an earlier age. Good for them (& the school districts they live in)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is criminal and it is called endangering the welfare of a child and that is shameful

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wake up people!!!! The hormone stuff is all over the wrestling community and most wrestlers and parents are well aware of it. Maybe not as much in lax as of now but it is out there. Many of the wrestlers know which "doctors" that they need to go to to get the meds.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
As an athletic chairperson of a public L.I. school I can assure you (and I have been around longer than I should be) that it is very rare that an 8th grade athlete gets pulled up to varsity. Just an fyi, there are many steps taken before a student is selected, i.e. varsity coach observation and a NYS physical test that some of the strongest football players can't pass. There is no way around the test, it must be administered and observed and signed document is sent to Albany. It's no joke.

I repeat, it depends on the district. I've also heard of that test being given and re-given until an athlete passes if that's how the powers that be want it to happen. I also believe, if you read the small print on the NYS doc, that the AD can sign off on an athelete moving up despite not passing the test. Is this squirrely? You betcha.

It depends on each district if they allow a child to move up. It is a state governed mandatory physical test that each athlete has to pass to move up. The standards of that test are different for different sports (contact/non-contact etc.) It is not in "small print", there is actually an addtional application called Special Approval Request Application that can be sent to NYS for approval (if the athlete can not meet a certain standard) Is that "squirrely"? I dont think so..It is a process for a student/athlete to be good enough for a JV or Varsity coach to take notice of him/her & it is a VERY dificult test to pass. Do you not think that the coaches, AD, parents & the students know the pros and cons of making a decision like this? Why is anyone angry or questioning the process? Some kids (even without hormone injections) are just bigger, stronger, faster, more atheletic, focused, etc. @ an earlier age. Good for them (& the school districts they live in)

NOTHING "squirrely" about the test. My daughter was asked to play varsity basketball and lacrosse but despite working out could not pass the palms out chin up arm hang component of the test. Our middle school program takes as many kids as they can which results in 20 on a basketball team and 35+ on the lacrosse team. They learn nothing about the sport/skills and the coaches hired are most often friends of the principal and have no athletic experience. Thankfully the high school program is well run. My daughter has chosen to be the manager for the varsity program.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Wake up people!!!! The hormone stuff is all over the wrestling community and most wrestlers and parents are well aware of it. Maybe not as much in lax as of now but it is out there. Many of the wrestlers know which "doctors" that they need to go to to get the meds.

Ditto the basketball world. People are crazy! I know a bball family whose kids were above average height but "not tall enough." They talked a LOT about growth hormone shots for their boys but they moved and I'm not sure they ever did it. The boys are all over 6' now, but that was expected as their parents were also tall. Tall and crazy.

I know one parent, not a sports parent either, whose son was always very small. They looked into growth shots and ultimately decided against it because there were too many negatives. Their son is 18yo now and 5'7". But he doesn't have breasts or have to worry about future tumors and that sounds like a good tradeoff to me.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

coached youth wrestling for years and been around the sport for over 30 years and have never heard of anyone involved with hormone therapy on Long Island. I also have been around Olympic and World champions and never heard about it. Maybe WWE but here on Long Island I have not. Yes there are those who feel the need to have an edge and will take steroids or HGH but giving this type of crap to a kid who does not need it for a medical situation is nuts. I also think this thread started off as somthing else. Lets go back to the original topic.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

coached youth wrestling for years and been around the sport for over 30 years and have never heard of anyone involved with hormone therapy on Long Island. I also have been around Olympic and World champions and never heard about it. Maybe WWE but here on Long Island I have not. Yes there are those who feel the need to have an edge and will take steroids or HGH but giving this type of crap to a kid who does not need it for a medical situation is nuts. I also think this thread started off as somthing else. Lets go back to the original topic.
Two very interesting topics have emerged : Middle School vs. Club Lacrosse and the much darker question of steroid usage. BOTC would certainly support going back to our original discussion topic, but we cannot turn a blind eye to the specter of steroid usage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree with the latest comments since two issues are being discussed. To think that this HGH issue would even be a discussion in the high school age groups is disturbing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

Two very interesting topics have emerged : Middle School vs. Club Lacrosse and the much darker question of steroid usage. BOTC would certainly support going back to our original discussion topic, but we cannot turn a blind eye to the specter of steroid usage.

Cage, steroid usage and a Doctor giving HGH injections are two different issues. Believe it or not, a parent who is concerned about their son growing can get a Dr to start HGH injection much easier than you would think. It is far more available than most people know. It just so happens that the the other effects of HGH are increased musle mass. Which ultimately increases speed. That's right, strength equals speed, another topic for all these speed guys having kids running ladders and cones to increase speed. (useless)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two things. In regards to the middle school lax issue, here in my town, it is expected that you will play middle school lacrosse, it is just part of the feeder process for the high school. They very rarely bring kids up, unless you are truly special.

As to the steroid use, I have heard whispers and rumors about certain kids in our age group and there are a few kids that you look at and scratch your head about how they grew so big so fast, but who's to know? I can definitely believe there are overzealous, misguided parents out there that would do that to their child. Not sure why anyone would want to risk their childs health over a few years of athletic prowess is beyond me. Like someone said earlier it borders on endangering the welfare of a child and criminality. Having said all that I dont think its a widespread issue in youth lacrosse, lets just hope it stays that way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OF Course, it is a conflict of interest!! whether Private school or Public - these Summer teams are a for profit venture! Parents and kids are forced to carefully navigate thru the consequence of their choices, for the fear of backlash from HS Coaches...

There needs to be an immediate end to this Conflict of interest!!

....But who is the governing body that would "investigate" or regulate this alarming trend?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When size, speed, strength etc are important (ie..all sports) people will try to find an edge. The HGH issue with kids is out there and it is easier to obtain than you think from certain doctors. Combine that with the notion of holding a kid back, late bloomers etc and thats why you see such a disparity between kids at the middle school age. Add to that the idea that 8th graders are getting "looks" at a money making camp, the hope that "my kid" will get a scholarship, and you have all the ingredients for problems with a sport like Lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When size, speed, strength etc are important (ie..all sports) people will try to find an edge. The HGH issue with kids is out there and it is easier to obtain than you think from certain doctors. Combine that with the notion of holding a kid back, late bloomers etc and thats why you see such a disparity between kids at the middle school age. Add to that the idea that 8th graders are getting "looks" at a money making camp, the hope that "my kid" will get a scholarship, and you have all the ingredients for problems with a sport like Lax.

The parents are the problems with a sport like lax (or soccer or wrestling or football or tennis or bolwing etc...)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cage, steroid usage and a Doctor giving HGH injections are two different issues. Believe it or not, a parent who is concerned about their son growing can get a Dr to start HGH injection much easier than you would think. It is far more available than most people know. It just so happens that the the other effects of HGH are increased musle mass. Which ultimately increases speed. That's right, strength equals speed, another topic for all these speed guys having kids running ladders and cones to increase speed. (useless)

They're not necessarily running ladders an cons t develop straight-line speed. Other than track, straight-line speed, while impressive, isn't particularly useful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They're not necessarily running ladders an cons t develop straight-line speed. Other than track, straight-line speed, while impressive, isn't particularly useful.

Not talking just straight line speed. The ability for an athelete to make a cut and change direction comes from strength, not from running through ladders and cones over and over. If the legs do not have the musle mass and strength to absorb the force needed to change direction, the cut will not happen. Watch younger kids, the smaller lighter kids look much more nimble. Why? They weigh less and their legs can handle the force need to make a cut. When they get older, the bigger kids leg strength catches up. Its all about strength... If your not strength training, all the cones and ladder mean nothing!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not to change the subject or anything but I would welcome Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team. I don't buy into the "help the town and help the weaker kids" argument at all, the smarter kids never come over my house to help my kid do math homework and I couldn't care less about my HS rankings, I care about my own kid and whats best for him/her and I would love if he/she could play with her select team all year round and never have to play middle school with a bunch of new kids that aren't dedicated to the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, then pay for club lax. I'm sure his HS coach won't hold it against him. (Actually, I'm not at all sure about that.)

Maybe pay for Express and send him to Chaminade or St. Anthony's (if he gets in). Then, you can keep paying Express even after he gets in, because that's the way it works at some places (but only if you want your son to actually get playing time).

Or, he can play with his friends on the middle school team for nothing and be a stand out and impress his low-ranked HS coaches.

Or maybe do both.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not to change the subject or anything but I would welcome Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team. I don't buy into the "help the town and help the weaker kids" argument at all, the smarter kids never come over my house to help my kid do math homework and I couldn't care less about my HS rankings, I care about my own kid and whats best for him/her and I would love if he/she could play with her select team all year round and never have to play middle school with a bunch of new kids that aren't dedicated to the game.

Nice....Anyone have thoughts regarding this ME attitude so many parents seem to be passing along to their children?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

jeeze...not a team player I see! Do what you want, let us know how it goes in the end. BTW...some of the smarter kids do stay after & help the other kids in math (just saying;)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
im sure if your less skilled "mathlete" went to the math club the better mathletes would play with him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I for one appreciate the honesty and wrestle with this issue myself. It seems the other side of this argument is driven by fear of retribution by coaches and the community.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is it OK for Town / Youth / Middle School / HS programs to place kids on different teams ( A / B ) or cut kids completely but its not OK for the best players in that same town to want to play with a higher caliber team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So let's assume your kid gets recruited to play college lacrosse, maybe not top 10 D1 or have a chance at NCAA championship, but has an opportunity to play. Do you, or your son, turn it down because it's lower end D1, D2 or D3? Do you, or your son, quit if he is not a starter and maybe just a practice player? Do you, or your son, quit if the team has poor season?

My kids play town/school/PAL, town travel, and club travel. There are lessons learned at every level of play aside from what makes "ME" better. Being able to find a way to contribute to any team is a quality attribute, loyalty is another.

That said, if your decision is to go private, by all means support those clubs that are tied into those private schools. They are, in many ways, the middle school feeder to their high schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the current trend continues, it seems likely that the best players will forgo middle schools teams for club teams. Perhaps it will even extend to high school teams. My kid plays for a good club team and I think this trend is really unfortunate. High school lacrosse were some of my best memories. I really wish everyone would step back and let the kids be kids and enjoy their middle school and high school teams playing alongside their friends from their towns in front of local student. Don't mean to get on a soapbox. These are just my humble opinions.

My son use to play for fl$ - their philosophy was that (1) school work comes first (2) school teams come second (3) fl$ comes third. While that may not have translated into the "best" travel team, it did make sure the boys have their priorities straight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to know your feelings on the Town Program that does not allow boys to play on their PAL team if they choose to play for club team.

I would also like your opinion on "loyalty" with regard to the same town program that will cut a boy who has been "loyal" for many years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to know your feelings on the Town Program that does not allow boys to play on their PAL team if they choose to play for club team.

I would also like your opinion on "loyalty" with regard to the same town program that will cut a boy who has been "loyal" for many years.

Don't agree with either-

Club makes town better.

Town kid that doesn't make town A team should have place to play, B team.

If you situation differs, agree tough call.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What town would that be? I've never seen a question on a PAL form asking what other activites the kid will be doing on a Sunday.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I for one appreciate the honesty and wrestle with this issue myself. It seems the other side of this argument is driven by fear of retribution by coaches and the community.

No, the other side, in my sons case, is being a team player, loyalty, sportsmanship, patients, acceptance, town pride, friendships, ...pretty much the basis of becoming a "Man".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mr M again?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My understanding is PAL is a no cut league. Am I wrong about this ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PAL accepts every player "it's about the kids" they are instructional........as far as middle school lacrosse, I would rather my son be a team player....honor....loyalty....code, don't bypass the opportunity

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard