BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,212
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 69 of 214 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 213 214
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Don't forget the dad that has team practices with his chosen group before big games.

Yes, isn't that special, really helps build team play lol

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PLEASE TAKE CAP LOCK OFF!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Already that time of year. After years of not sharing the ball and letting the same girls go to the goal every time they touch the ball the handful of lacrosse upperclassman left have been told by their coach to go try and recruit the volleyball and soccer players for winter practice because we don't have a full roster.

When will this sport, coaches, players and parents learn its a team game?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Already that time of year. After years of not sharing the ball and letting the same girls go to the goal every time they touch the ball the handful of lacrosse upperclassman left have been told by their coach to go try and recruit the volleyball and soccer players for winter practice because we don't have a full roster.

What town

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Already that time of year. After years of not sharing the ball and letting the same girls go to the goal every time they touch the ball the handful of lacrosse upperclassman left have been told by their coach to go try and recruit the volleyball and soccer players for winter practice because we don't have a full roster.

What town [/quot
The soccer players are going to take the spot of your 10th grader. Sorry pal, another year on jv for you. By the way my daughter who is a soccer player , will play every minute of each game this year ,and she does not even have a lacrosse stick. You wanna bet.For your sake you better hope they don't play. For my sake, I hope she does not play. That god forsaking thing you call a game. LOL

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Already that time of year. After years of not sharing the ball and letting the same girls go to the goal every time they touch the ball the handful of lacrosse upperclassman left have been told by their coach to go try and recruit the volleyball and soccer players for winter practice because we don't have a full roster.

What town [/quot
The soccer players are going to take the spot of your 10th grader. Sorry pal, another year on jv for you. By the way my daughter who is a soccer player , will play every minute of each game this year ,and she does not even have a lacrosse stick. You wanna bet.For your sake you better hope they don't play. For my sake, I hope she does not play. That god forsaking thing you call a game. LOL

Ya...ok....soccer huh. Girls soccer is basically high school kickball. Since you brought up your kids ability......she wont play a minute.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The soccer players play soccer. The lacrosse girls play kickball.But please have your daughter bring an extra lacrosse stick to tryouts.We will return it at the end of the season. Move out of the way the real athletes are coming to play. Your daughter stinks that's why they need the soccer girls. lol

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Frankly, I think the basekball players make better lacrosse players. They better understand plays and boxing out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Then have your daughter come down with the soccer players. Hey buddy bring two extra sticks, we got runners and boxer outers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What town [/quot

That God forsaking sport is practically paying for my whole daughters tuition at an incredible academic school that she may not have gotten into orherwise and not because she's not intelligent enough but because getting into such a school is highly competitive. So enjoy watching your daughter hit the ball off her head and driving her to a sub par state school.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Then have your daughter come down with the soccer players. Hey buddy bring two extra sticks, we got runners and boxer outers.

Athletic kids are athletic and many times that's what a coach wants. Go look at players' bios, pretty much all of them are multlisport athletes. Does this threaten you somehow?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The original point was that because of selfish play and coaching that allowed it, sadly many girls have quit lacrosse and now we struggle at the HS level to fill out full school rosters so athletic girls from other sports are asked to pick up a stick for the first time in HS to help out.

To the earlier post about playing in college, yes our handful of lacrosse first players will all play in college but we can't field a team with the half dozen of them even though they only pass to each other, if they pass at all.

This can't be unique to our town.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would bet if my soccer playing daughter, put a little time and I mean a little, into lacrosse she can play in college.Your daughter could not play soccer in college I bet. She decided on soccer and she also is going d1 and getting very good money(At a private school) Even if it was at a state school who cares. What's the payoff for a bachelors these days. But that window sticker probably gives you movement in your jeans.Enough of this nonsense, just bring two extra sticks to tryouts,one for us and the other for my basketball buddy. A runner and a boxer outer. And it is god forsaken, that's why your numbers are low.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would bet if my soccer playing daughter, put a little time and I mean a little, into lacrosse she can play in college.Your daughter could not play soccer in college I bet. She decided on soccer and she also is going d1 and getting very good money(At a private school) Even if it was at a state school who cares. What's the payoff for a bachelors these days. But that window sticker probably gives you movement in your jeans.Enough of this nonsense, just bring two extra sticks to tryouts,one for us and the other for my basketball buddy. A runner and a boxer outer. And it is god forsaken, that's why your numbers are low.

You're a soccer mom on a lax forum? Yikes!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Numbers are only low in the towns with weak youth programs and horrible Varsity coaches.If your program relies on recruiting kids to play it's the beginning of the end.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's totally obvious that you know nothing about lacrosse and have never played any sort of competitive sport beyond your freshman year in high school. I'm not sure what you are basing your opinion on. But, if your kid was that athletic and that much of a soccer stud - you would not be trolling this forum. Soccer has it's benefits, but, I can tell you one thing from watching some of the top Maryland teams - your soccer stud will not be one of the "top dogs" in lacrosse. Stay on the pitch and stop trolling.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
She can be a top dog, but that's a conversation we will have after this season. Just bring the sticks. New [lacrosse] and Maryland, try competing against girls from every corner of this great land,and foreign players as well. How many foreign girls play lacrosse.Check out the top soccer schools. Your kid would be at a community college. I have heard long island parents for years tell their kids,the best way to college is lacrosse. Tha'ts because no one plays the game. BIG DOGGGGGGGG.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer mom
Go to "back of the net"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lot of [lacrosse] and vinegar on this thread
What is the difference of your kid has played for years to hone her skills or is a multi sport stud who just picked up the game
Baller’s ball and the rest will sit in sideline
I know it’s a sore subject on this site
But I saw it this season on our soccer team
4 starters from the last season lost starting spots to younger hungrier better players
One switched positions the other 3 sat the bench for majority of the season

Everyone regardless of sport likes to feel that just because my kid played travel ball since 3rd grade they will be a HS stud
Sorry folks wake up it is just not the case

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lot of [lacrosse] and vinegar on this thread
What is the difference of your kid has played for years to hone her skills or is a multi sport stud who just picked up the game
Baller’s ball and the rest will sit in sideline
I know it’s a sore subject on this site
But I saw it this season on our soccer team
4 starters from the last season lost starting spots to younger hungrier better players
One switched positions the other 3 sat the bench for majority of the season

Everyone regardless of sport likes to feel that just because my kid played travel ball since 3rd grade they will be a HS stud
Sorry folks wake up it is just not the case

Nobody cares about high school kickball. Stop. Take your slop to back of the net and talk kickball all you want.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like a small eastern suffolk high school....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid plays both and I see certain aspects of her game in both improve due to the other sport

A talented middy in soccer will easily transition into a good lacrosse middy it’s basicly the same up and down filed with defenses be responsiblities and move the ball up the field to the attack ( strikers) to score
A big physical basketball player will make solid attack in lacrosse
Feed her the ball and let her roll off defender to the inside like she is going to the hoop

Not saying the new girls that coaches are asking to come to try outs will be best on the team but they will most certainly be solid contributors to the team - they will make Team better and inevitablely take the spots of some previous starters

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like a small eastern suffolk high school....

The original point was that because of selfish play and coaching that allowed it, sadly many girls have quit lacrosse and now we struggle at the HS level to fill out full school rosters so athletic girls from other sports are asked to pick up a stick for the first time in HS to help out.

To the earlier post about playing in college, yes our handful of lacrosse first players will all play in college but we can't field a team with the half dozen of them even though they only pass to each other, if they pass at all.

This can't be unique to our town.

When parents encourage their kids to get theirs and those same parents coach at the youth levels, kids get tired of doing endless meaningless shuttles and running to never touch the ball. Hopefully the delay in signings until 11th grade with push off the insanity and reopen the sport back up to the masses. Its a travesty that the sport has been hijacked and kids are quitting just because their longterm dream isn't to be a summer lacrosse club coach or a HS coach making $5k a year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid plays both and I see certain aspects of her game in both improve due to the other sport

A talented middy in soccer will easily transition into a good lacrosse middy it’s basicly the same up and down filed with defenses be responsiblities and move the ball up the field to the attack ( strikers) to score
Feed her the ball and let her roll off defender to the inside like she is going to the hoop

Not saying the new girls that coaches are asking to come to try outs will be best on the team but they will most certainly be solid contributors to the team - they will make Team better and inevitablely take the spots of some previous starters
Lets get serious about this. Any 3 year old that sees a leather, inflated ball on the ground will almost certainly kick it. it is a natural, instinctive thing that everyone does because they can. Anyone can play soccer, it's a low skill sport. To catch a small solid ball with a stick with a net on the end is a skill that takes time to learn, and many "athletic" people can not easily master, if they ever can. Yes soccer, lacrosse, basketball, and hockey have many similar aspects to them. but not every person can learn to skate on ice, or dribble while running, or catch a ball with a stick, but everyone can kick a ball, it takes no special skill. For you to say your daughter will simply show up at a tryout, with no previous exposure to lacrosse or never having tried to catch and throw prior to stepping on the field,and think she will take the spot of even a 5th graders spot on a varsity team shows your ignorance about all sports. though I have no doubt that any lacrosse player can show up at a soccer tryout and, at least make the team, if not start on any H.S. soccer team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lets get serious about this. Any 3 year old that sees a leather, inflated ball on the ground will almost certainly kick it. it is a natural, instinctive thing that everyone does because they can. Anyone can play soccer, it's a low skill sport. To catch a small solid ball with a stick with a net on the end is a skill that takes time to learn, and many "athletic" people can not easily master, if they ever can. Yes soccer, lacrosse, basketball, and hockey have many similar aspects to them. but not every person can learn to skate on ice, or dribble while running, or catch a ball with a stick, but everyone can kick a ball, it takes no special skill. For you to say your daughter will simply show up at a tryout, with no previous exposure to lacrosse or never having tried to catch and throw prior to stepping on the field,and think she will take the spot of even a 5th graders spot on a varsity team shows your ignorance about all sports. though I have no doubt that any lacrosse player can show up at a soccer tryout and, at least make the team, if not start on any H.S. soccer team.

Please stop it! the same kids that win all county in soccer and basketball especially on the girls side of the sport are the same ones that win all county in lax. The question is why are rosters so small with so few kids playing?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because it is really hard to attain great, or even good, stick skills. And the game becomes very difficult without them. There are plenty of great athletes (soccer included) that transition over to lacrosse and have an impact at the high school level, and even at some colleges. But they will play defense or defensive middie. The reason your soccer stud won't get passed the ball very often is because turnovers in lax are a killer. And your soccer stud likely will have terrible stick skills. Lax is harder to sport to master. Fact. That's why there are so many soccer players in comparison. And yes, with those huge numbers, harder to advance. But also a MUCH easier game. And boring as heck as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because it is really hard to attain great, or even good, stick skills. And the game becomes very difficult without them. There are plenty of great athletes (soccer included) that transition over to lacrosse and have an impact at the high school level, and even at some colleges. But they will play defense or defensive middie. The reason your soccer stud won't get passed the ball very often is because turnovers in lax are a killer. And your soccer stud likely will have terrible stick skills. Lax is harder to sport to master. Fact. That's why there are so many soccer players in comparison. And yes, with those huge numbers, harder to advance. But also a MUCH easier game. And boring as heck as well.

The only way anyone gets better in any sport is to play and touch the ball. What's your take on kids scoring 10 in PAL while everyone clears out for the same kid to go to goal? Do you really think there is only 1 kid that could do that? Wouldn't it be better to move the ball around after all its PAL and no one cares. If the sport had better coaches, more kids would be touching the ball, more kids would be playing and the product would be better from top to bottom

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only way anyone gets better in any sport is to play and touch the ball. What's your take on kids scoring 10 in PAL while everyone clears out for the same kid to go to goal? Do you really think there is only 1 kid that could do that? Wouldn't it be better to move the ball around after all its PAL and no one cares. If the sport had better coaches, more kids would be touching the ball, more kids would be playing and the product would be better from top to bottom

Would agree with that. Better coaching would help a lot. Particularly by inspiring passion for the sport. Because, as with anything, the amount of passion, and therefore individual drive, is what ultimately creates success. So better coaching would help. But stick skills aren't developed only during practices and games. They're developed in the backyard and in the basement, playing around with your stick every day.

I also agree with what is implied by your description of the game situation where 1 kid goes to goal all the time. Part of the problem is that at younger ages, there should be much more skill development and less game play. But better coaching would also help.

I always hear people say that stick skills don't matter. Give me the athlete. I say give me both. The better the stick skills at younger ages, the more passing, the better spacing and the better team play there is. So, work on stick skills with your kid/kids. That's what ultimately allows a team to function.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would agree with that. Better coaching would help a lot. Particularly by inspiring passion for the sport. Because, as with anything, the amount of passion, and therefore individual drive, is what ultimately creates success. So better coaching would help. But stick skills aren't developed only during practices and games. They're developed in the backyard and in the basement, playing around with your stick every day.

I also agree with what is implied by your description of the game situation where 1 kid goes to goal all the time. Part of the problem is that at younger ages, there should be much more skill development and less game play. But better coaching would also help.

I always hear people say that stick skills don't matter. Give me the athlete. I say give me both. The better the stick skills at younger ages, the more passing, the better spacing and the better team play there is. So, work on stick skills with your kid/kids. That's what ultimately allows a team to function.

Great points. Bad coaching is driving good kids and athletes out of this great game at record numbers and its a shame. The game has really changed for the worse since my oldest went through. People talking about scholarships in 2nd grade and clubs fleecing kids year round when all a 2nd grader needs is a wall. What ever happened to playing 7v7 on smaller fields at the younger ages? I thought that was going to happen? I think It would really help keep more kids involved

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know if invites to the committed academy wrnt out yet?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great points. Bad coaching is driving good kids and athletes out of this great game at record numbers and its a shame. The game has really changed for the worse since my oldest went through. People talking about scholarships in 2nd grade and clubs fleecing kids year round when all a 2nd grader needs is a wall. What ever happened to playing 7v7 on smaller fields at the younger ages? I thought that was going to happen? I think It would really help keep more kids involved

I'm confused. Where are the facts to support your notion that kids/athletes are leaving the game in record numbers. More and more colleges are offering girls lacrosse throughout the country. Maybe your idea 7 v 7 seems great to you but again please give us some facts not just your bloviating opinion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm confused. Where are the facts to support your notion that kids/athletes are leaving the game in record numbers. More and more colleges are offering girls lacrosse throughout the country. Maybe your idea 7 v 7 seems great to you but again please give us some facts not just your bloviating opinion.

Go to NFHS national database for NY boys participation is down 9% off their highs, girls are off 3% since 2014. LI PAL is down and so is the #1 girls club on LI the YJ's at the younger ages. The game is really just for kids who want to play in college. If you aren't all in you are shunned at a very young age

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Go to NFHS national database for NY boys participation is down 9% off their highs, girls are off 3% since 2014. LI PAL is down and so is the #1 girls club on LI the YJ's at the younger ages. The game is really just for kids who want to play in college. If you aren't all in you are shunned at a very young age

YJ reference is meaningless-cmon really??
PAL reference is meaningless-

NFHS #'s for girls Lax- 2014/2015 --2446 HS Teams---84,785 girls
2015/2016--2572 HS Teams---88,050 girls
2016/2017--2717 HS Teams---93,473 girls

From the NCAA-% of HS girls that play lax in college-12.9% total. 3.8%-Div 1, 2.6%-Div 2 and 6.5%-Div 3.

So are 87% of HS girls wasting their time and being shunned. No, they are participating, being healthy, making friends, etc.
Your view of the landscape is what might be detrimental.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very true

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

“From 2001 through 2016, the number of high schools sponsoring boys' and girls' lacrosse increased by 193% and 229%, respectively. Over that period, the number of students participating in lacrosse rose by 162% for boys and 172% for girls. For more detailed information” from NFHS. Kids are not leaving in droves and comparing numbers from 1 year to another is a bad way to look at it as many things can impact those numbers better off looking at trends over multiple years

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone traveling the summer circuit can see that there is a shift going on. Less teams at the younger ages at most of the big time clubs. Everything is cyclical. I do think for a while it turned into too much, too expensive, too time consuming and overall too much to fast and it has scared some families away. Anything that keeps it affordable and accessible is good for the sport. But if coaches don't preach to pass at the younger ages its just a waste of time except for the next Shannon who's dad keeps yelling go to goal!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone traveling the summer circuit can see that there is a shift going on. Less teams at the younger ages at most of the big time clubs. Everything is cyclical. I do think for a while it turned into too much, too expensive, too time consuming and overall too much to fast and it has scared some families away. Anything that keeps it affordable and accessible is good for the sport. But if coaches don't preach to pass at the younger ages its just a waste of time except for the next Shannon who's dad keeps yelling go to goal!

Stop......you are sounding like an idiot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop......you are sounding like an idiot.

At the younger ages I believe the YJ's are down, TG's are down and Liberty is down. Aren't those the 3 big LI clubs?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not down. other new clubs taking kids away

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not down. other new clubs taking kids away

This way everyone gets to be on an "A" team! Years ago playing travel anything meant something and that has been watered down by the amount of money people can make running all these teams, so the natural progression is that travel recently became meaningless unless you're an "A" team player, which was true to a certain degree, but now that there are a dozen or more "A" teams per grade in any given sport it's no longer the case. clearly they are all watered down and some are downright horrible excuses for "A" teams, but mom and dad can tell everyone that their kid is on the top travel team of whatever sport they play. I've ben to AAU games, travel lax, soccer and baseball games and some of the teams are hard to watch to put it kindly.

Like Reply Quote
Page 69 of 214 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 213 214
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard