BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team
lax516 Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
From what I understand in Soccer these days, the trend is for the best players to bypass your school teams in favor of your club team. I guess the thinking is playing with the best players and having more productive training will improve accelerate a players development and thus increase their opportunities to play in the future.
Will lacrosse go in this direction? As anyone who's child plays on a competitive club team can attest. Going from club back to middle school sure seems like a waste of time for the best kids. These middle school coaches are trying to teach 35-40 kids, which creates a tremendous amount of standing around, not to mention districts and the state being more interested in participation % than competition.
If some of these club teams or private coaches had a quality team 4-5x a week for 1.5- 2 hours can you imagine how fast they would progress?
I'm sure this has been discussed within the community and I am now starting to wonder if club/ private lacrosse would be more productive than the public schools programs.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by lax516
From what I understand in Soccer these days, the trend is for the best players to bypass your school teams in favor of your club team. I guess the thinking is playing with the best players and having more productive training will improve accelerate a players development and thus increase their opportunities to play in the future.
Will lacrosse go in this direction? As anyone who's child plays on a competitive club team can attest. Going from club back to middle school sure seems like a waste of time for the best kids. These middle school coaches are trying to teach 35-40 kids, which creates a tremendous amount of standing around, not to mention districts and the state being more interested in participation % than competition.
If some of these club teams or private coaches had a quality team 4-5x a week for 1.5- 2 hours can you imagine how fast they would progress?
I'm sure this has been discussed within the community and I am now starting to wonder if club/ private lacrosse would be more productive than the public schools programs.

Interesting observation. In our town the Middle Schhol program is the same as PAL. No cut and equal playing time. At what point do you cull the herd. I'm all for kumbaya but at some point if little Johnny can't play it's time to give up the sport. Our high school program suffers because of this system.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Absolutely agree. Same for most JV and High Schools too! The problem is who would the clubs play? there just arent that many that would have the critical mass of kids so that you could have a 14 game schedule comparable to what the schools have.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know on Long Island many school districts pull up their best middle school players to jv/varsity for that very reason. If your school does not maybe you should look into it. It is a tremendous advantage, but keep in mind there is a rigourous NYS physical test that they must pass before tryouts. Best of luck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They're already doing it in Maryland, the clubs have a spring season. Players are permitted to play both rec/travel and club but when conflict arise, clubs take priority. Look at a club like M&D on the girl's side, already a pretty tough club. The elementary and MS teams now practice and play together year round. Looking at likely 60 practices and 60 games/year. Imagine how well the kids will play together, and look, when they hit recruiting years

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the current trend continues, it seems likely that the best players will forgo middle schools teams for club teams. Perhaps it will even extend to high school teams. My kid plays for a good club team and I think this trend is really unfortunate. High school lacrosse were some of my best memories. I really wish everyone would step back and let the kids be kids and enjoy their middle school and high school teams playing alongside their friends from their towns in front of local student. Don't mean to get on a soapbox. These are just my humble opinions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Based on some of the posts on the 2017 and 2018 thread, some players might be bypassing high school and go straight to D1!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
great thread. Glad that others see this through similar eyes

I am positive that Playing "down" with the jr high team is very frustrating for my son after coming in from year long practices and games with his club to be with kids who cannot throw or catch very well at all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If the current trend continues, it seems likely that the best players will forgo middle schools teams for club teams. Perhaps it will even extend to high school teams. My kid plays for a good club team and I think this trend is really unfortunate. High school lacrosse were some of my best memories. I really wish everyone would step back and let the kids be kids and enjoy their middle school and high school teams playing alongside their friends from their towns in front of local student. Don't mean to get on a soapbox. These are just my humble opinions.

I think 99% if parents who played school sports loved the experience and cherish the memories. A distinct memory I have is that the best kids played and most others watched, the 5th qtr was for developing kids. These days the game is for everyone and the 5th qtr is for the more competitive kids. It's just not the experience it was.

Like Reply Quote
P
ProtonPower
Unregistered
ProtonPower
Unregistered
P
I suppose there are very weak school teams out there, but where I live there is a select team for 7th and a select team for 8th, and then a combined 7/8th team for the next players down. Anyone taking their son off the select grade team -- with 4 or 5 practices a week + games, all of which are already paid for by your taxes -- just to play with maybe one or two "better" players on a club and pay out the nose for that privilege -- would be viewed as insane.

And considering the middle school program is the pipeline to the high school team, pulling him could have a negative impact on his future prospects within that system.

I also believe the club programs will lose ground even for the summer ... each year another group of school district coaches form "school"/town summer programs, and there has been movement off the club teams on to those town select squads. Parents are tiring of the high club fees, and the summer programs being run by the local school coaches are generally cheaper (not always, but far from the most expensive). This trend will continue as local coaches will continue jumping on the summer fees bandwagon, and parents will want to make those connections.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know that most school districts pull up from the middle school teams. I know it happens, but I think that it is more the exception than the rule. I have seen an exceptional 8th grader start, and do well, but it is rarely on a really competitive team (ie: Farmingdale or Garden City... just to name a few). I have also seen that same girl play age appropriate club and not score a goal. My daughters school dist does not allow 8th grader to play up in the High School unless that sport is not offered in the middle school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2 words for you "Missy Franklin"... Nuff said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are Catholic or private middle schools any different? Any insight would be appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know that most school districts pull up from the middle school teams. I know it happens, but I think that it is more the exception than the rule. I have seen an exceptional 8th grader start, and do well, but it is rarely on a really competitive team (ie: Farmingdale or Garden City... just to name a few). I have also seen that same girl play age appropriate club and not score a goal. My daughters school dist does not allow 8th grader to play up in the High School unless that sport is not offered in the middle school.

I think 8th graders who get pulled up to varsity are truly few and far between, and having coached h.s. for quite a few years I can tell you in my experience they should be. They are the elite athletes, often in many sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thats s slippery slope. DOes the Varsity coach play the better player of the kid who paid him over the summer

Originally Posted by ProtonPower
I suppose there are very weak school teams out there, but where I live there is a select team for 7th and a select team for 8th, and then a combined 7/8th team for the next players down. Anyone taking their son off the select grade team -- with 4 or 5 practices a week + games, all of which are already paid for by your taxes -- just to play with maybe one or two "better" players on a club and pay out the nose for that privilege -- would be viewed as insane.

And considering the middle school program is the pipeline to the high school team, pulling him could have a negative impact on his future prospects within that system.

I also believe the club programs will lose ground even for the summer ... each year another group of school district coaches form "school"/town summer programs, and there has been movement off the club teams on to those town select squads. Parents are tiring of the high club fees, and the summer programs being run by the local school coaches are generally cheaper (not always, but far from the most expensive). This trend will continue as local coaches will continue jumping on the summer fees bandwagon, and parents will want to make those connections.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's great they split it up like that. how many boys to they carry on the select 7 and 8 teams?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Are Catholic or private middle schools any different? Any insight would be appreciated.

Catholic middle schools may or may not even have sports. If they do they are limited to baseball, basketball type sports. They are a situation when club ball would be a necessity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thats s slippery slope. DOes the Varsity coach play the better player of the kid who paid him over the summer

Huge conflict of interest for a teacher/coach. There are several school districts that are currently investigating conflicts of interest for current coaches who also run travel programs. Both boys and girls. Finally some people are starting to look at what is a terrible conflict of interest that has a negative effect on the kids involved.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LaxMom1310

Catholic middle schools may or may not even have sports. If they do they are limited to baseball, basketball type sports. They are a situation when club ball would be a necessity.

You're dating yourself, almost all Catholic schools have soccer & lax programs for 7/8 graders and there are a few that can compete with almost any public school program - these are a lot of the same kids that wind up in Chaminade, St Anthony's, Kellenberg, Mercy, etc

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

You're dating yourself, almost all Catholic schools have soccer & lax programs for 7/8 graders and there are a few that can compete with almost any public school program - these are a lot of the same kids that wind up in Chaminade, St Anthony's, Kellenberg, Mercy, etc

I was just at St Patricks open house on Sunday and it was actually one thing we were most curious about. I went to St Mary's in East Islip also they didn't have it either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kellenberg Latin School has all sports for 7/8 graders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was just at St Patricks open house on Sunday and it was actually one thing we were most curious about. I went to St Mary's in East Islip also they didn't have it either.

Islip has boys lax only at this time, you can google catholic middle schools athletic association and all the information on what schools participate in lacrosse(probably 10 each for both boys and girls) and the various other sports being offered is there to look at - good luck with your decision!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your child plays for one of the stronger "A" teams "Yellow Jackets, Top Guns, Liberty" or on the boys side '91, Express, etc.." Playing on their JHS / Middle School team will be a step back. Some would call it a waste of time.

Compare the coaching, how many 7th/8th grade school teams have a coach who can compare to Carol Rose, Danielle Gallagher or Shannon Smith? Also, how many of the 30 or so girls on a school team can earn a spot on one of the top club teams?

I would think the same is true on the boys side. Coaching and caliber of player is going to be significantly better on the top club teams.

Im not sure their is any benefit for the stronger player to play school ball in JHS.

I don't know that I would call it a total waste but in terms of "Player Development" it is not the best use of the players time.

My kids will be playing for their JHS Team even though I do not believe it is the best way to help improve their game.

Translation: "it is OK to want to win... Just not OK to want to win at all costs"

However, if one of my children ask to play only for their Club Team I would strongly consider that option.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which catholic school (parochial) can compete with (public) middle school programs. Id be interested to see, id also like to know their academic standards/standings. (Maybe Latin School but not St. Patrick's, at least not yet.)

It is always interesting to see who goes from public MS schools, to catholic school HS.

Even more interesting to see them come back to public school after a year or two.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I think 8th graders who get pulled up to varsity are truly few and far between, and having coached h.s. for quite a few years I can tell you in my experience they should be. They are the elite athletes, often in many sports.

It completely depends on your district. My kids are in a small district and MS kids are regularly pulled up to play JV, and even Varsity, sports. Our district is not big enough to have select teams and "other" teams in MS, nor would our budget have room for this. What we get is 40+ MS kids on a team, some of whom have worlds of experience and some of whom are on the team because it's a chance for them to try it for free or because that's what their set of friends is doing or even because their parents are making them. The coaches are left trying to teach the beginners the sport, the experienced are not learning anything but they are getting the school sport experience of playing and most kids value that. It is what it is. Not optimal but it's two years out of your life (or less if you get pulled up), not the end of the world.

Now, as for bypassing MS sports for club, all I know is in my district that might eventually be forced on us because our school board is always always always talking about cutting MS sports altogether.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am faced with this dilemma now with my 8th grade son. He plays on his town travel team and on a summer travel team.As spring rolls around he will have lots of "travel" practice commitments. Last year the JHS "experinece" was wanting to say the least. Poor coaching and many players with little or no skills or lax knowledge. He has stated that he does not want to play school ball but I am afraid of alienating the HS coaches. We are in a strong LAX town. Some 8th graders are moved up to JV in our town but they are the exception, not the rule. My son is on the cusp of being able to play at the JV level but he and both agree he is not there yet. Nor will the school move 8th graders onto the freshman team. What to do? I have told him to play school lax and just have fun with it but he counters that its practice everyday and all they do is work on basic drills coupled with limited playing time b/c coach has to play everyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tough situation in front of you. I experienced the same last year with my 8th grader. He did have the opportunity to play up and was actually brought up to varsity. He had the backing of his MS coach, who selfishly wanted him to play MS but in my sons beast interest and developement pushed hard for him to be brought up. I would suggest you talk with the coaches and see where they may feel your son fits in. They may see something in his ability that they would like to develop. As for travel ball, my son plays on a very good travel team thru out the summer. Good luck

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Huge conflict of interest for a teacher/coach. There are several school districts that are currently investigating conflicts of interest for current coaches who also run travel programs. Both boys and girls. Finally some people are starting to look at what is a terrible conflict of interest that has a negative effect on the kids involved.

If this is the case its possible that outcome of whatever investigations you are referring to could lead to the Chaminade, St Anthony's, Kellenberg (All Express Directors) head JV and Varsity coaches may have to make a decision to either leave the school or divest themselves from their club programs. Which way do you think that will go?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am faced with this dilemma now with my 8th grade son. He plays on his town travel team and on a summer travel team.As spring rolls around he will have lots of "travel" practice commitments. Last year the JHS "experinece" was wanting to say the least. Poor coaching and many players with little or no skills or lax knowledge. He has stated that he does not want to play school ball but I am afraid of alienating the HS coaches. We are in a strong LAX town. Some 8th graders are moved up to JV in our town but they are the exception, not the rule. My son is on the cusp of being able to play at the JV level but he and both agree he is not there yet. Nor will the school move 8th graders onto the freshman team. What to do? I have told him to play school lax and just have fun with it but he counters that its practice everyday and all they do is work on basic drills coupled with limited playing time b/c coach has to play everyone.

This should not be a "dilemma"...MS sports are what they are. Your son/daughter will be playing with his peers. As stated here, all of these kids are playing club ball year round. They have a lot of Lacrosse. Being on a school team is about being on a team. Im not "dating myself" when I say "that is important". I keep hearing on here about the individual kid, lacrosse is a team sport! There is something to be said about a kid who is "lights out" good, who plays for his school team and becomes a teacher, a leader, a role model. That is what playing team sports is about. Your kid (who is better than everyone else) can learn so much from this. sure it is frustrating sometimes but, learn from it, teach from it. It is such an incredible opportunity for a child to learn patients and acceptance. I Don't mean to get on my "soap box" but, it is frustrating to hear parents talking that their child is "too good" to play on a team or that it is a "waste of time". Nothing is a waste of time if you learn from it. And do I think not playing on a MS team will alienate a HS coach... Absolutely! Coaches want team players, no matter how talented they are. Go out there, play well & enjoy your time with some friends, you're 13 years old!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If this is the case its possible that outcome of whatever investigations you are referring to could lead to the Chaminade, St Anthony's, Kellenberg (All Express Directors) head JV and Varsity coaches may have to make a decision to either leave the school or divest themselves from their club programs. Which way do you think that will go?

Interesting point except for the fact that the schools you mentioned are private. If it is OK with the school then no investigation is going to change that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Interesting point except for the fact that the schools you mentioned are private. If it is OK with the school then no investigation is going to change that.

100% correct on the privates - not an issue for the schools. As far as the publics go, it is big issue. Not sure if it is statewide or district wide, but in our district teachers are not allowed to have any compensation whatsoever from students that they teach (obvious conflict of interest). However, we have situations where gym teachers and other teachers are directly getting paid for summer programs in which their teachers are also their summer coaches. If a teacher can not get paid to tutor their own students, why should teachers abe allowed to "tutor" their own kids in sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why would that make any difference. The conflict of interest still exists and if a public school is looking into it than why not a private school. Bottom line kidds should be able to play for any club they want regardless of whether or not their private/public HS coach is affiliated with the program without fear of repurcussion. Everybody can say "oh that's nonsense and the coaches wouldn't do that..." Really?... then I'd like you to check out this bridge I have for sale!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This should not be a "dilemma"...MS sports are what they are. Your son/daughter will be playing with his peers. As stated here, all of these kids are playing club ball year round. They have a lot of Lacrosse. Being on a school team is about being on a team. Im not "dating myself" when I say "that is important". I keep hearing on here about the individual kid, lacrosse is a team sport! There is something to be said about a kid who is "lights out" good, who plays for his school team and becomes a teacher, a leader, a role model. That is what playing team sports is about. Your kid (who is better than everyone else) can learn so much from this. sure it is frustrating sometimes but, learn from it, teach from it. It is such an incredible opportunity for a child to learn patients and acceptance. I Don't mean to get on my "soap box" but, it is frustrating to hear parents talking that their child is "too good" to play on a team or that it is a "waste of time". Nothing is a waste of time if you learn from it. And do I think not playing on a MS team will alienate a HS coach... Absolutely! Coaches want team players, no matter how talented they are. Go out there, play well & enjoy your time with some friends, you're 13 years old!

Couldn't agree with you more. All valid points. Great post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Public School / Town Programs are where the conflicts of interest are. The Problem is when kids are excluded from Town / Shool programs if they play for a "private club".

Like Reply Quote
P
ProtonPower
Unregistered
ProtonPower
Unregistered
P
Indeed, public school coaches getting involved in the summer/year-round club business presents numerous issues, not the least of which is potential unfairness to the kids (i.e., preferential treatment for club players when playing for the school team, etc.).

But ALL those potential issues may already exist for coaches at the Catholic HS programs mentioned above.

I wonder if the administration at Chaminade and St. Anthony's have any idea the club connections are so strong?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

anyone involved in the private school system at the high school level knows very well that they have there own set of rules for everything and could care less what public school protocol is. also rest assured that they are very much aware of everything going on involving somebody that's employed by them when it comes to clubs/clinics/camps etc

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As an athletic chairperson of a public L.I. school I can assure you (and I have been around longer than I should be) that it is very rare that an 8th grade athlete gets pulled up to varsity. Just an fyi, there are many steps taken before a student is selected, i.e. varsity coach observation and a NYS physical test that some of the strongest football players can't pass. There is no way around the test, it must be administered and observed and signed document is sent to Albany. It's no joke.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Indeed, public school coaches getting involved in the summer/year-round club business presents numerous issues, not the least of which is potential unfairness to the kids (i.e., preferential treatment for club players when playing for the school team, etc.).

But ALL those potential issues may already exist for coaches at the Catholic HS programs mentioned above.

I wonder if the administration at Chaminade and St. Anthony's have any idea the club connections are so strong?

Of course they do...they benefit from it!!! Kids leave public/town programs and select the private option and it all works for many on both sides of the team. Schools obtain students and clubs get players. It really needs to be an individual choice for what is best for each family. Too many conflicts on both sides regardless of private or public.There are issues on the public side with teachers/coaches making it mandatory to play for them only.
No easy answer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gymnastics, tennis ,golf , I can see an 8th grader play varsity. But lacrosse is a contact sport. The physical strength between a possible 18 year old and 13/14 yr old is flat out dangerous. Any school official would be careless to do that

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
As an athletic chairperson of a public L.I. school I can assure you (and I have been around longer than I should be) that it is very rare that an 8th grade athlete gets pulled up to varsity. Just an fyi, there are many steps taken before a student is selected, i.e. varsity coach observation and a NYS physical test that some of the strongest football players can't pass. There is no way around the test, it must be administered and observed and signed document is sent to Albany. It's no joke.

I repeat, it depends on the district. I've also heard of that test being given and re-given until an athlete passes if that's how the powers that be want it to happen. I also believe, if you read the small print on the NYS doc, that the AD can sign off on an athelete moving up despite not passing the test. Is this squirrely? You betcha.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard