BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 44 of 97 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 96 97
Re: Westchester Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So which WSYL team is looking better after tryouts? Express North, Primetime, Eclipse, 2Way or Predators (not sure if the Predators are trying to qualify)? Are there any other teams from the Westchester or Fairfield area attempting to go to the WSYL?

I think Brameier is running the Express North 2023 team for the WSYL. How do they look since they are a brand new team?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Coach for Bluejay 2024 is the Wizard.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The Coach for Bluejay 2024 is the Wizard.

More like a yelling screaming lunatic and a horrible director

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We've got a friend who's kid tried out for Rhino U-13.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
understood, But which is the higher level? For example, is 2022 assumed to be AA?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]So which WSYL team is looking better after tryouts? Express North, Primetime, Eclipse, 2Way or Predators (not sure if the Predators are trying to qualify)? Are there any other teams from the Westchester or Fairfield area attempting to go to the WSYL?

Not sure anyone can know if team is better after tryouts yet. Suspect every team thinks they picked up more talent. Practices just started. Until you see players or new lineups in real games, its all speculation.

Think all those teams gunning for WSYL. Good for them. New for Preds and 2Way but in the past they claimed they would attend. If smart, they'd lobby to have a region separate from LI because only PT is likely going to qualify when you add 91, Express, Igloo, etc. to the pool. Maybe WSYL increases acceptance numbers for this area. Lucky Laxachusetts doesnt participate (only because their 7th grade teams are always too old for WSYL). Still good for kids to play vs other top teams. it's a good experience to attend qualifiers IMO.

Unsure how all 2023 club teams handle players on roster too old for WSYL. PT must do it right. It caused problems from experience when club did not think it out early enough and share info. Good teams already know their U13 roster right now and have that team train and play games together separate from 2023 team. Smart teams make a special WSYL U13 squad made up mostly of their 2023 team and fill in with some of the best holdback 2024 players. But holdbacks were playing and practicing on my kids team right up until qualifiers-- bad for planning and chemistry. Club stupidly thought it would just have holdbacks do everything but not play in qualifiers and that would not disrupt the U13 team. Team at WSYL qualifier needed fall-winter-spring season together. Holdbacks not allowed in WSYL roster were some of best players and took away from team prep when it counted. Club didn't want to exclude the holdbacks from much for fear of losing top players and $ even though parents and kids knew they were too old for WSYL.

Clubs doing WSYL for the first time always a step behind in planning. Don't focus on team chemistry and roles. Takes a lesson for them to get it right or realize comp is too tough. Couple squads each year lose each game 12-1. Tough lesson.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now that rosters are finalized how do local 2023 shape up?
OT, Express Katonah/Westport, Preds, Eclipse, TS91, others?

Just a guess but Prime Time is likely the strongest of the group. I heard Eclipse had a fair amount of turnover on their roster so it should be improved. Not sure how the Express North teams look relative to the others - the Katonah teams should be pretty good. No idea on TS91 and Preds.

2023 Express North apparently pretty strong but time will tell. Apparently some screw ups with North 2020 and 2021. Was supposed to be AA, A and B in Westchester but there was a big exodus. AA still very solid but they were forced to distribute the B level kids to A in Westchester and A in Fairfield. Basically put some very weak kids on what would have been solid A teams. Folks not happy with the miscalculation.

What does that mean? Are you saying that there are no longer 3 teams in Katonah for 2020 and 2021? And that there are two teams in Fairfield? I thought Fairfield only had 1 team each, and supposed to be AA?

There is on 2020 and one 2021 in Fairfield and they are definitely not AA especially after the moved kids from the Westchester B team that fell apart from poor numbers. My friend whose kid plays in Fairfield is livid.

Your "friend" must have a son on 2021 because that is not the case for 2020. There are zero kids on the 2020 Fairfield team who have been moved from Katonah.
Now, I am not disagreeing with you that the skill sets are extremely broad- that is definitely the case. Not sure exactly what the thought process was when rostering Fairfield teams (if there even was a thought process beyond taking strongest players to put on Katonah AA and then dividing the remaining players by zip code and allocating to a team) but there are some players on this team that have NO business playing on ANY Express team. Could be that fact that is fueling the rumors.

Anyone who is surprised by this shell game is simply not listening.

If ANY club has more than one team at a grade level you can be darn sure they will work hard to make the 'A' squad as good as they can be and you can also be darn sure they will basically neglect the 'B' squad as they are there only to pay the bills.

This has been demonstrated time and time again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe WSYL should reconsider their age limit because what the NLF is doing will cut into the number of east coast programs heading to Denver. It was a great move by the NLF and more with FO it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2023 Express North apparently pretty strong but time will tell. Apparently some screw ups with North 2020 and 2021. Was supposed to be AA, A and B in Westchester but there was a big exodus. AA still very solid but they were forced to distribute the B level kids to A in Westchester and A in Fairfield. Basically put some very weak kids on what would have been solid A teams. Folks not happy with the miscalculation.

What does that mean? Are you saying that there are no longer 3 teams in Katonah for 2020 and 2021? And that there are two teams in Fairfield? I thought Fairfield only had 1 team each, and supposed to be AA?

There is on 2020 and one 2021 in Fairfield and they are definitely not AA especially after the moved kids from the Westchester B team that fell apart from poor numbers. My friend whose kid plays in Fairfield is livid.

Your "friend" must have a son on 2021 because that is not the case for 2020. There are zero kids on the 2020 Fairfield team who have been moved from Katonah.
Now, I am not disagreeing with you that the skill sets are extremely broad- that is definitely the case. Not sure exactly what the thought process was when rostering Fairfield teams (if there even was a thought process beyond taking strongest players to put on Katonah AA and then dividing the remaining players by zip code and allocating to a team) but there are some players on this team that have NO business playing on ANY Express team. Could be that fact that is fueling the rumors.

If ANY club has more than one team at a grade level you can be darn sure they will work hard to make the 'A' squad as good as they can be and you can also be darn sure they will basically neglect the 'B' squad as they are there only to pay the bills.

Primetime's top two studs went down to LI Express. That pretty much makes the most the odds-on favorite to win the WSYL.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Primetime's top two studs went down to LI Express. That pretty much makes the most the odds-on favorite to win the WSYL.

It was only one middie that went to LI Express on the Island and yes he was a stud. Lets see how it all pans out.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete

And a h/b so how good is he really

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete, but low lax IQ and primarily just does a bull dodge through a smaller player and tries to rip a 15 yd shot.

Also not a very good teammate and has a bad attitude from what I hear,

And got his girlfriend pregnant. And started smoking. Just saying.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Yes, a talented athlete

LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete

Every holdback has an advantage, you have to either get over it and move on or do the same with your son. I would chop my hand off before forcing my son to repeat a school year to give him an advantage on the lacrosse field. Deplorable IMO but many willing to do it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete

Every holdback has an advantage, you have to either get over it and move on or do the same with your son. I would chop my hand off before forcing my son to repeat a school year to give him an advantage on the lacrosse field. Deplorable IMO but many willing to do it.

I have to say, your spot on view made me remember a TV interview on parents intentionally "red shirting" their kids to be better at sports. My now 11 year old kid was a baby at the time of viewing the program. I thought it was insane that any parent would intentionally do it just for sports.........but the reality is some parents really need to live through their kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete

I may be naive but I don't think many people reclass their 2023 kids for lacrosse purposes. I think it typically happens in kindergarten and is for maturity reasons. My understanding is the reclassifying happens in 8th / 9th grade years.

I am surprised someone from PT would shift to LI Express. PT looks like a pretty legit program to me.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Yes, a talented athlete

Does anyone think about the kid is 18/adult for two years in High School? One bad relationship with a 17 or 16-year-old whose parents have an ax to grind the boy is done.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PT is good but kids still go to Express or 91 on the Island. The only other time I saw it happen the other way was a Kid playing fogo from Chaminade on Express North 2018. Kid was really good at end of last summer. Helped win NLF.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Anyone know what Express north is doing for 2033 U-13 Tran? Says Brameier isncoach but he coaches Westport team already?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Schreiber, love his enthusiasm. Hate his management skills. Overestimated his brand. Basically had to move B and C level kids that he promised a spot to his A teams when the numbers were week. Those A teams were not going to kill it but now he killed them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express North is a joke. NLF dosnt mean anything if the teams dont even play in the events.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure what that means? Express North 2018 won the NLF championship in August.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real tough guy making fun of a 13 year old. I know this boy personally and he is a very hard worker who never puts the stick down. He is a stud lax player that will go far in his life, because of his work ethic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real tough guy making fun of a 13 year old. I know this boy personally and he is a very hard worker who never puts the stick down. He is a stud lax player that will go far in his life, because of his work ethic.

Ok mom

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Work ethic does get you a long way. Talent by itself can be very over rated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good scrimmage yesterday in Fairfield at Express North 2023. Hopefully both teams will be competitive next summer as both have strong coaches in Pearsall and Brameier.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete

You don’t even have to actually repeat the grade. Just say you’ll pg him later or do a gap year. Club owners will let him play down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, a talented athlete

You don’t even have to actually repeat the grade. Just say you’ll pg him later or do a gap year. Club owners will let him play down.

You can even take it one step further. Just have your kid tryout for a team at a grade below what he actually is. In all my years of having multiple kids playing at multiple organizations (and trying out at even more of them), I have never once been asked to verify their grade level or age. With other sports, that do it on age, you have to submit a birth certificate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To be honest I think the average holdback is hurt in the long run. Once in HS size and physicality evens out much more than in middle school and below. If you are not working hard as u can u are going backwards in the elite divisions of summer lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it normal for Express North to have 1 coach per team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

An effective coaching staff is 2+. Any less and one group (offense or defense) is getting short changed.

I once saw a single coach run practice for two teams. Money grab of the highest level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

An effective coaching staff is 2+. Any less and one group (offense or defense) is getting short changed.

I once saw a single coach run practice for two teams. Money grab of the highest level.

Hard to judge by fall lacrosse how many coaches there actually are. Just as many of the players have other fall sports or commitments coaches many also.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express north,4 practices only one coach. Not what they sold us.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaching levels should not change with the season. We are paying for coaching at the youth level. Games are fun but are secondary. Preds have three coaches on most of their younger teams this fall.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hard to judge by fall lacrosse how many coaches there actually are. Just as many of the players have other fall sports or commitments coaches many also.

Maybe they should hire coaches that don't have other commitments. That's what my company does.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To be honest I think the average holdback is hurt in the long run. Once in HS size and physicality evens out much more than in middle school and below. If you are not working hard as u can u are going backwards in the elite divisions of summer lax.

Pediatric studies show holdbacks are hurt in the long run-- but that is emotionally and mentally. Science proves those kids get dumbed down and underperform. Basically data shows most kids will adjust to their environment. For kids who skip a grade or are younger, they learn to accelerate and fit in. For holdbacks, they learn to do less well to fit in. BUT that is for academics, social adjustments, etc. For sports, they have physical advantages and kick [lacrosse] on younger kids through high school.

in other words, if you're willing to sacrifice your kid's well being in hopes of him playing lacrosse in college, that path is there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't understand all the hate for Express North and Schrieber. Have you all been personally wronged by him? Is he really a bad person?
All I've heard from the 2018 and 2019 parents is praise, he can't be all bad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pediatric studies show holdbacks are hurt in the long run-- but that is emotionally and mentally. Science proves those kids get dumbed down and underperform. Basically data shows most kids will adjust to their environment. For kids who skip a grade or are younger, they learn to accelerate and fit in. For holdbacks, they learn to do less well to fit in. BUT that is for academics, social adjustments, etc. For sports, they have physical advantages and kick [lacrosse] on younger kids through high school.

in other words, if you're willing to sacrifice your kid's well being in hopes of him playing lacrosse in college, that path is there.

While I generally agree with this, and would not hold my kid back even though he is, in the highly specialized world of lacrosse, a prime candidate, there are those who would cling to the writings of people such as Malcom Gladwell who observed that there is a disproportionate number of professional hockey players with January birthdays. The logic/reason offered is that those players were always at an advantage (ever so slight) by being the oldest in their division. Recall that hockey has a more structured age-based system with the cut off date of Jan 1.

Unless US Lacrosse wrestles back some influence from the clubs, lacrosse will continue to be a sport of holdbacks because that is what works for getting recruited to college College coaches would much rather have an older, more physically mature recruit. Remember, those coaches need to have winning programs or they get fired. And with no financially rewarding professional league, college is the apex of the sport.

Sadly the rise of the NLF, and eventual fall of WSYL (yes, I know NLF clubs participate but they are clearly on a path to create their own 'championship'), USLacrosse.org becomes less and less relevant.

USLacrosse has one card to play and that is the insurance policy which covers all these clubs and players. When Bollinger Insurance decides that having a 24 month age spread on the same field is not a good idea things will change. Until then,

"if you are not playing down, you are playing up"

Like Reply Quote
Page 44 of 97 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 96 97
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard