Hoping a quick decision will allow for the resumption of a normal routine and eliminate further distraction, Yorktown has announced that Sean Carney will remain in place as head coach of the boys lacrosse team.

The board of education signed off on the decision Monday.

Carney took over last year while longtime head coach Dave Marr served a one-year suspension for his angry sideline outburst that followed an ejection from a heated loss to Jamesville-DeWitt in the 2016 NYSPHSAA Class B championship game. The Huskers went 17-5 against impressive competition, won a 40th sectional title and made it back to the state final, where they lost to Victor.

Despite graduating a number of college-bound talents, Yorktown will be the favorite to repeat in Section 1 in 2018.

Marr was suspended by former Huskers athletic director Fio Nardone, who retired in June, leaving the newly-hired Rob Barrett to oversee this appointment.

No outside candidates were considered.

Barrett and four other administrators and building personnel formed a hiring committee, that formulated a list of questions posed to separately to Marr and Carney. They scored the answers individually and were asked not to discuss feelings about either candidate.

The situation had plenty of potential to become awkward.

"Based on the feedback I received, the vast majority felt that either way, Yorktown lacrosse was going to be OK," Barrett said. "Some people might have a personal preference, but no matter how this played out we were going to be fine from the standpoint of Xs and Os."

The board of education also named Yorktown assistant Lauren McAuley head girls lacrosse coach. She is replacing Ellen Mager, who stepped down in June after 22 years with the program.

Carney was a high school All-American for rival Lakeland before playing at the University of Delaware. He teaches social studies at Mildred E. Strang Middle School and lives in the district. Carney spent 17 years as a Huskers assistant and was running the offense before he was promoted last season.

Rob Doerr ran the defense.

“I’m happy to be here," Carney said. "I’m happy to move forward with the kids. Once the fall seasons end, we'll be getting ready for the spring. I have so much respect for the program and what it’s meant to the community and the kids here in Yorktown, and I hope the staff and I can keep the tradition going."